October 12th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Mine Rescue Underway

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/10/12/t1main.2032.capsule.ctv.jpg caption="Crews conduct the last tests on a rescue capsule that will bring 33 trapped miners back to the surface." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight we're bringing you breaking news coverage of the miner rescue mission underway in Chile. 33 miners are waiting to be reunited with family for the first time in 68 days.

We'll give you up close access as crews use a specially-made rescue pod to bring the men out of the darkness, one by one.

Any moment we're expecting rescuers to bring the first miner to the surface. We've learned Florencio Avalos, who acted as a cameraman during the ordeal, and Mario Sepulveda, who appeared as a narrator on many of the videos of the men underground, will be the first rescued.

As each man comes to the surface a siren will sound. Each will undergo about two hours of health checks at a field hospital. Those who are healthy enough will be allowed to briefly meet with family members in a reunion area before being taken by helicopter to hospital in the town of Copiapo.

Throughout our two hours of special coverage, we'll bring your live reports from our team of reporters on the scene. We'll also check in with experts in medicine, engineering and mining.

See you at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Steve from Sellersburg IN

This is spectacular news coverage at it's finest.So uncommon anymore to see something "good" on the news.When usually news is sad,upsetting and stressful to watch,I am uplifted and joyed to see this happening.
    Praise God

October 13, 2010 at 12:29 am |
  2. Eliana

The comments on this blog alone speak of how such a huge event affects people. This is a truly remarkable joint effort of Chilean people with all the nations that have helped in bringing the 33 miners back to their families and loved ones. The courage of the 4 rescuers going down to assist on this achievement is truly amazing. Although I have made the USA my home, I'm proud to have been born in Chile! God bless all of them and help them heal!

October 13, 2010 at 12:24 am |
  3. chinnam - Bangalore-India

To see the first miner emerge from the capsule was like a mystery being unveiled.
    Cheers and God bless to the team that made this possible. Somehow the world seemed to have come closer

October 13, 2010 at 12:23 am |
  4. Eimik

Greetings from Sweden. You are doing a great job! We love you all <3

October 13, 2010 at 12:19 am |
  5. Victoria

Blessings to the miners, the families and the people of Chile. Con Carino!

October 13, 2010 at 12:18 am |
  6. Sebastian, São Paulo, Brazil

It’s amazing to watch history while it’s happening!

It’s quite a pleasure to see such an accomplishment as our fellow Chilean colleagues just did. As Larry King has just pointed out, what we’re witnessing has never been seen in history before.

Astronauts going to Mars in the future will learn lesson from these brave men who remarkably survived this extraordinary event.

I'm Brazilian and I've always had a profound admiration for our brother country Chile and its people. This people has recently overcome one of the worst earthquakes in history and it’s amazing their endurance on though times and their capability of staying united. A lesson we all could learn from

This is a fantastic night! Cheers to you, Chileans and God bless you all!

October 13, 2010 at 12:17 am |
  7. Maria

This is so unbelievable and inspiring...this really a miracle in the making!!

October 13, 2010 at 12:16 am |
  8. Jere Williams

God bless all the people who worked so hard for the miners to be rescued, for all the people who prayed for them, and God bless the miners and their families as they are reunited.

October 13, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  9. Mary

Anderson Cooper what a fantastic job you are doing with this report on these miner's being rescued. Many years ago my best friend's father was killed in a talc mine explosion and tonite watching this news broadcast my heart was in my mouth, my fingers were shaking and my stomach was in knots. I don't often watch CNN but I had to watch tonite and you never failed once to keep us informed of all that was going on. Thank you so much. God Bless each and every miner, rescue worker and all others involved

October 13, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  10. F Watts

Great coverage. An Apollo 13 moment! So wonderful for the miners and their families.

October 13, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  11. Monica

It brought tears to my eyes to watch the first man come up from beneath the earth. May God bless each and everyone of these brave men and the families as well.

October 12, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  12. Tara Adams

I Can't help but wonder about their health and mental state.....

October 12, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
  13. Tara Adams

WOW! This is amazing! It's even more amazing that they were able to survive! Im reminded of baby Jessica McClure when I was 10 yrs old, I remember watching her being rescued.....

October 12, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  14. louise mayer

I'm so happy to be retired and be able to stay up to watch this miracle. With all the bad news possible every day, the repetition is exhilarating. Thank goodness for the skill and technology to accomplish such a feat. Praise to everyone involved.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  15. Rita, Toronto, Canada

Thank you for your excellent coverage of this amazing event. I hope that all the rest of the rescuers and miners come home safe. I don't even think I will be able to sleep tonight!

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  16. Robin

As others have already said...it's so wonderful to see so many 'differing' countries working together toward a common goal. May God continue being with all 33 of the miners & everyone who has helped them!

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  17. Erika

I am Chilean, I so happy and proud about my country!. It is a night of miracle!

October 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  18. Rhys Thomas

This is the final outcome when man kind pulls together for a rescue, no matter of any difference between countries and politics.
    When help is asked for people of all nations pull together as one to preserve life and families.

October 12, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  19. Linda

Its so exciting what is happening now. With Avalos up, others will follow successfully. Thanks for every hand involved. Its amazing.

October 12, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  20. Steve G.

The most amazing rescue I have ever seen. Safe trip to the other 32 and Rescue Personnel. All are in tears here in Canada!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  21. carmen

hi im watching this i think this is amazing but very scary and i hope everbody makes it home safe and soundd i hope you put this on your show my name is carmen

October 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  22. Tweet919

My prayers are with the miners and their rescuers. Thank you for sharing the event with us, AC.

October 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  23. Matty

Unbelievable to watch, unimaginable to experience; A true testament to the strength of humanity when we come together.

October 12, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  24. Sue - Ingleside, Texas

watching him hug his family....words just can't describe...again thanks to everyone helping these miners!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  25. Stan Rose NY

SucCESS..just saw the first miner. Gread JOB
    and yes, finally a "missile" doing GOD's work
    saving lives...a wondrous human achievement
    indeed !

October 12, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  26. Dee

Canada,

OMG First Miner came through. Thank you god for the second chance.

October 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  27. chinnam

This is a triumph of human spirit . In times like this all of us feel like one family , looking at the same goal – it is a grat feeling and indeed a grat acheivement . Big "God Bless " to all those who worked to reach this happy end.

October 12, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  28. Jimmy

Good luck to everyone. Keep the coverage coming. God bless.

October 12, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  29. Tom Grimshaw

It's times such as this that shows how we all are connected and are part of the Human family. Manuel the rescuer who went down first is a true hero

October 12, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  30. Abhishek

Finally the miners marooned in the most inhospitable of conditions will get to see the daylight.They are heroes for all their courage and tenacity.
    Sincere prayers for their safe rescue.

October 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  31. kate

OMG It's like watching a birth! So fantastic. I"m tearing up.

October 12, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  32. Sue - Ingleside, Texas

this is so awesome Thanks to everyone making this happen for these 33 men and their families

October 12, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  33. Angie

Praise God,,,,,,,,I am watching all of this live and I can't wait to see the reactions everyone gives when this man is on the surface again. Thank the Lord!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  34. brian

In a world of seemingly bad news , all the time. This is a great uplifting story. Manuel Gonzalez is one cool dude! Good luck to them all!

October 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  35. merly and wilber Phils.

From the Philippines:

Job well done buddy, we are watching you in CNN.,

Thank you and more power!!!

October 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  36. Cyndi

Thank God!! We will pray and watch until all are free!! Prayers to the families.

October 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  37. Doug

This is exciting, our prayers are for all those miners, and all that have worked so hard to get them out. thanks CNN

October 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  38. susan andersen

Hello Anderson,
    In 1969 I was working as a volunteer for the International YMCA in Santiago, Chile.
    In July of 1969 the USA landed on the moon.
    I watched with my Chilean and American friends on the black and white tv, while we took one step toward the future- for humankind.
    We were all held spellbound while looking out at the moon from earth.How amazing to have the skills to land on the moon.
    Tonight, I am feeling the same way – watching this rescue and the Chileans taking steps to save their friends – mankind -below.
    This time the praise goes to the Chileans and their skill in this rescue.
    Thank you for covering this.
    Susan
    Des Moines,Iowa

October 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Morgan

i´m mexican, but all my heart and soul are with my chilean brothers, i hope everything go fine, i can´t imagine what are they and them relatives feeling i just hope we have a happy ending, Go Chile!! Go Manolo!

October 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  40. Tammy

It seems like forever ago since this terrible accident happened. It has united many countries in hope and prayer, God bless all involved and thank you for not losing faith!

October 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Rhonda - Melbourne, Australia

Thankyou Anderson for covering this heartfelt story in your usual analytical manner without all the hysteria, smoke & mirrors that seem to prevail in the media currently.

October 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Ross

Very emotional moment to see the capsule arrive underground. Wow it's amazing god bless you all.

October 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Leah

I'm not Chilean, but I get emotional to see these people singing the National Anthem of Chile. God bless them!!!

October 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  44. julie

God be with the rescue workers and the miners as they come up to ground level. This is so exciting that it is happening now and one can only imagine what they and their families are feeling. As exciting as this is I hope the media will give them time to adjust and spend with their families. God bless them all.

October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  45. jesnoon@yahoo.com

The human spirit can endure many things, but hope is what feeds it everyday. My thoughts and prayers are with the miner's, families, and all those involved in the rescue. This truly has taken a village, nation and the world to pull for these men.

October 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  46. steve

Praise the LORD. I am praying for each and everyone of these men. I know God is watching over them and he has been with them all of this time. This is such great news. Everyone involved are true HERO's.... Good Luck and may God bless you all.

October 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Minina

I am so happy they are coming up.

October 12, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so exciting news from Chile..... I am so thrilled for miners get out of cave...... My thoughts and prayers with miners and their families! I wish I can help offer to share their stories.... That is so amazing and miracles so happening now! 🙂 That will be good news to be freed miners!!!!!! 🙂

October 12, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

I hope everything goes well on this rescue and that everyone gets out safe. I also hope none of the miners have claustrophobia or gets sick on amusement park rides – a supply of barf bags might need to be on that pod for those who can't take the rotation.

I am in awe of these miners who have been waiting so long to be rescued; they survived for a long time before they were found; then they have had to wait in the darkness in close quarters with each other for months. I am sure they will be overjoyed to be rescued and that the miners will feel a special kinship to each other after this. So glad you are covering this live tonight for 2 hours – I hope there is at least one miner rescued during that 2 hours.

October 12, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  50. Ross

Good luck to you all. God bless you and keep you safe on your journey from the centre of the earth.

October 12, 2010 at 9:47 pm |