October 12th, 2010

Chile Mine Rescue: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, special coverage of the mine rescue mission in Chile. Crews are getting ready to free the first of 33 trapped miners. We'll give you an up close look at the effort.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Ana

Watching the rescue from Bangkok...

October 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Patricia

I hope that the miners know that they in ours prayers and with their families bring together safely, That the world is watching them to be brought to the families.

October 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Kevin

What were they mining down there?

October 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Thanks Anna for the translation. I had wondered what the Chilean President had said to that man.

October 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Felipe temuco, chile

thanks a lot for the consideration to ours miners in chile, we hope the best for tonight....

October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

I'm so glad we have the live chat tonight! It helps me be less nervous. Good to see those joining in from other countries.

October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Emily

So am I, Gloria! It's great to see everyone that has come together to support everyone. It really is wonderful to see the best of people.

October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Ave

hello everyone. Eagerly watching the live feed.

October 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am actually watching the wheel to see when it stops at the bottom

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Alexandria,L.I., N.Y.

Good Evening everyone. This is such a great and nervous night.Amazing that the world is watching.Dear Lord, bring each one up safe,sound,healthy.

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Cristina

How long does it take the rescuer to get to the bottom?

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  12. elaine from cleveland ohio

Rescue guy you are a hero.

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Ester Nordmo

Watching this drama from the southern coast of Norway, Scandinavia. Best wishes to the miners, their families and the rescuers

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  14. janet57

The 1st rescuer is down....my heart is with those miners and their families. God speed the rescues!

October 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Ramon

Has anybody thought that maybe the miners will become anxious of coming up and some brawl might form underground?

October 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

@ jennifer Purdon re:decompression sickness or the bends. They said earlier on CNN that they would not experience any thing like that.

October 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Emily

What a great scene...the people singing the National Anthem of Chile.

October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  18. emilia, from Spring Hill, florida

@ antonio, i beleive they have a back up, but i do agree with u on having a second cable line, but may be that was not an option due to the fact hat maybe they already have something else in mind n stuff....

October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Irina Carvalho

I'm from Macau SAR (rigth next to Hong Kong)and I'm at home and following the amazing report on the Chile miner's rescue! Its truly a lesson for human determination and commitment. These are the true HEROES of resilience, hope and faith!

October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Anna

Love the coverage. BTW the chilean president said to the aid worker who went down. May GOD be with him and that the country is praying for his safe return as well as the miners. .. Just thought I add this, since it wasnt translated...

October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Paulo

The miners are amazing people, they work in horrible conditions, believe me they are gonna be more than fine after come to the surface.
    I am proud to be Chilean.
    VIVA CHILE!

October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Don

Does anyone recall?

At the time of the mine collapse, were there any fatalities?
    Or are all the miners accounted for?

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@Emily
    I am so happy for them!

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I am so glad to see technology improving re: mining rescues.

When you think of how many mining accidents there have been all around the world in the last several years, it is gratifying to see that serious efforts are being applied to find and rescue miners.

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  25. terry oliver

i think the miners and family are very happy to see their love ones for 69 days underground and they are very brave to be down there that long and for so many days.

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Heather Jordan

Having worked in media for over 11 years, and having mixed thoughts on some of the stories that get reported and how they are told... I am so honored to be able to watch an amazing moment like this being broadcast over the world, live. Thanks for the detailed, intelligent and sympathetic reporting of this amazing rescue. 🙂

Heather-Denver

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Teri

thought they were suppose to be wearing sun glasses while going to the top?

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Allen

With each rescued miner humanity will grow stronger. The deliverance of a few may result in the salvation of many. May God and humanity be praised!

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Steve

Have any of the miners become fathers while trapped? Any lost family?

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  30. nalini

15 to 17 mins is the length of the trip

October 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Katherine Grass

Thank God, first of all , but thanks to ALL the rescue workers on every level..it is amazing what can be done when we all work together for the common good. Bless you every one. Katherine Grass, Panama

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  32. emilia, from Spring Hill, florida

4 minutes for the rescuer to reach them....

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

There are so many problems that the average person wouldn't even think about. These men must be in pretty good shape to survive something like this.

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

This rescue is being reported as pretty tricky.

WOW, to watch that individual going into the mine now...what courage!!

David-Indiana...
    I agree with you!!!!! they are so strong enough to be healthy as I hope....

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Antonio Alvarez

The pulley they use to guide the cable should have an extra attachment to prevent an accidental drop of the same that could jam the rescue cabin.

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Emily

I've heard that there is also transportation for fly these miners to the nearest hospital(s).

October 12, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  37. emilia, from Spring Hill, florida

i rememeber baby jessica many years ago n it was an amazing sighting as well. this is a experience for the whole world to see. i am very happy that everyone has come along tohelp the less fortunate as part of the world is standing still to see the first miner come out.

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Mark, KY

Anderson, what was the cost of the Phoenix Capsule?

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Lisa in Louisville

Great coverage! I can't begin to imagine what it's been like for these miners. God's speed.

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  40. elaine from cleveland ohio

Watching that wheel turn is unnerving

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  41. linda new orleans

my thoughts & prayers are with all of the miners families & the rescuers & their families.

October 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  42. g roach

the snatch block is tethered and works also as
    avisual device,
    plus it it anchored with a fiber thether if cacge get stuck or fails the snatch or the fail acts as a visual alarm

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Veronica

There has not been a day that has passed that I have not thought about them. It has made me realize how close USA miners are to miners of other nations. It also reminds me of the young girl Jessica who fell down the well in 1986 and we all held our breath as we waited to see how she would be as a rescue worker pulled her out. Technology has come so far. Bless the 33 and thier families and the rescuers.

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Eric

Good evening everyone,
    The rescue capsule is not crude, it is built to withstand the environment in which it is intended.

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Rita

I hope that the rescuer lets the miners know that the whole world is watching and praying for their safe return!

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Debie-' was a little girl and remember Baby Jessica. This reminds me so much of what I felt as a child watching that. I am so excited to join CNN to watch with such hope and anticpation of a happy ending'

Me too, I was just thinking about how this reminds me of the baby Jessica rescue, that was so long ago too! Wow, I feel old now 🙂

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Cami M. Miller

My thoughts and prayers are with the rescuers and the miners during this time. God be with them all and my they be delivered safely t their family and loved ones!!!! Your strength and ongoing hope is definately something that we all could learn from! No matter the situtation, it just goes to show to NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Robert

Good luck from Wollongong Australia.

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Renata Scwandner from Sao Paulo, Brazil

Glued to the screen and hoping for everything going well at the end of this amazing rescue… All best prayers to the trapped miners, their families and the rescuers!!!

October 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Michael

How long will the trip in the basket take? I know they have said it I am sure, sorry for re-asking the question.

October 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm |