October 12th, 2010

Chile Mine Rescue: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, special coverage of the mine rescue mission in Chile. Crews are getting ready to free the first of 33 trapped miners. We'll give you an up close look at the effort.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nancy in Oregon

I hope they check the door out well once it's at the top again. All they need is for it to pop open and jam.

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  2. Glendale, AZ

Fantastic! Wonderful news for the miners and their families. Best wishes to them all. What a relief! Thank goodness for the rescuers.

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  3. Iwona Giernicki

I contacted family in Poland..They are ALL watching the Incredible Rescue Mission

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  4. Steve

This is spectacular news coverage at it's finest.So uncommon anymore to see something "good" on the news.When usually news is sad,upsetting and stressful to watch,I am uplifted and joyed to see this happening.

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  5. Jessie

Evening Mr. Anderson:
    What actually took place in Chile was the awesome work of God. Keeping the miners safe in his arms. May God bless the miners, and their families. God Bless all the rescuers.

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Rachel, Pittsburgh

My heart can not begin to express how happy I am for the the miners, their families, and Chile. I have been fortunate enough to live in Chile on two seperate occasions and have experienced how strong these people are. I truely believe they can handle anything that is thrown at them and I am so lucky to have been able to experience their culture.

Thank you so much Anderson and CNN for keeping such a close watch on this.

FUERZA CHILE!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Cynthia "Nadirah" Jordan

Good evening Anderson! This is a phenomenal night! I give all the thanks, praise and glory to Jehovah Elohim for rescuing these 33 miners! My 300 Facebook friends and I have prayed daily for their safe recovery and kept faith that they would be delivered! We have lived to see a miracle! Blessings!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  8. Karoline, Los Angeles

I was just thinking-when they make a movie of this all this waiting will be cut out. LOL, I know that's a silly thought.

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  9. Tom

I is really amazing to see the live footage. I have been following this closely. I manufactured the special drill pipe used on the rig that completed the evacuation shaft. I have been getting information since the rig was moved into place.

A good day for the miners, their families and Chile!

Tom

October 12, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  10. Josh

Respect to Chile. We should all strive to be as united, strong and hopeful. And mindful of our rights, as Sepulveda (#2 to be out) has written to his family.

October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  11. Melvin German

October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  12. Marisa

Proud daughter of Chilean parents Jose and Isabel and proud grand daughter of a Chilean miner. NOW everyone will know where Chile is and the Atacama desert as well as Copiapo (Co-pee-ah-poe).

October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  13. Jacqueline, NY

@Scott, that's an excellent question about a backup capsule.

October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  14. Cheryl

My dog is even glued to the TV watching this! lol

October 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  15. Nancy in Oregon

One good thing about the little tube, Linda from Texas, is that these are miners who are doing this. They are lots more used to these situations than the average person....or the average person who undergoes an MRI!

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  16. Kim

Truly amazing coverage of this rescue and these men being reunited with their loved ones! I will continue to pray for those still not on the surface and for each and every one of these men and their families for the days to come! God bless each and every one you who contributed to helping these men to safety!

Kim
    Ontario, Canada

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  17. Robert D, Bay Area, California, USA

Watching the rescue with my family... this is a phenomenal prowess... my kids are riveted to the TV... they will remember this their entire life... a miracle of technology and faith... what a great message for our future generations !

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  18. Anthony Chinedu

Indeed is a miracle that the first miner comes to surface, am very happy actually tears comes out from my eyes watching the families of these miners and when i saw the first rescuer tears of Joy, i thanks God for those moment and i thanks all the people that God has used in this operation, the Government of Chile and others,God bless them all... am so happy.

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  19. Amber Khoja

If there is a rescue worker already down there, then why do they need to send more workers for the miners? can some one please clarfiy that?
    Thanks.

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  20. Jacqueline, NY

It's like Jonah being trapped in the mouth of the whale, and God rescuing him.

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  21. John

Anderson, awesome work, and yes the world is watching. Talked to family in China, and yes they are watching live, and glued to the TV like everyone else, Awesome Coverage. Bring 'em home alive. John.

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  22. Iwona Giernicki

We're all Celebrating and Praying with you!
    We're all ONE with CHILE Tonight!

October 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  23. carol

I just got home 2 weeks ago from a 3 week trip to chile.. It was interesting to hear what the people over there had to say about the minors etc.they are very loveing and caring people. all of them. Very religious..

My prayers are with them all. I just cried like a baby when the first one was rescued. so interesting to watch and see what modern technology can do these days.

thanks anderson for great coverage.

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  24. Kendra

Hey Justin D it will be a rescuer because they know how to do it

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  25. Lori

This is such a significant moment in journalistic history with cameras in the mine, cameras at the top. Thank you to the Chilean government for providing these images, and CNN for broadcasting it. I really feel like I'm watching the first time a man walked on the moon.

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  26. James Henry

Thank you Anderson for carrying this live feed on your show tonight. I'm in Harrow, Ontario Canada and yours is the only channel I can find the live feed on! You rock!

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  27. Yvan Belgium

great news thanks for shairing. Her whe have 7 coalmines ( all are closing now for more then 10 years) with a lots off accidents and killings the deep was twice of the mine in Chile

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  28. Linda from Texas

Any report from the hospital on the status of the first miner rescued?

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  29. Victor

Mr. Cooper;

I am so thrilled to see a miracle of great proportion and surely the miners were correct in their assessment that there were 34 down below-God included.
    God bless them and their families! I've said prayers for them constantly and God has answered them!

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  30. LL Edward

There is Audio and Video in the Cage, plus extra Oxygen and other precautions, they should all be fine on the way up....It takes 45 minutes to Ascend...I am Very Proud of the Engineers that kept these Men ALive.

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  31. May

why are they rescuing the guys that are in good condition first? shouldn't it be the other way around? just cuirious...

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  32. Debbie *~MIAMI~*

So the problem now is the door of he capsule!!! Has long as they make it to the top, it doesn't matter!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  33. Joan

Anderson,

This rescue is amazing, but I'm confused about something.

You're saying they are sending down a "Rescue Miner," so....does the cage hold 2 people – the rescuer and the miner who was trapped?

It looks like it only holds one and we only see one exit....

Thanks,

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  34. Ziggy

As I'm watching the miners being rescued I'm wondering why they don't mark on the cable attached to the capsule the place on the cable where the capsule has reached the bottom. I think that would be easier to gauge when it has reached the bottom.

2 thumbs up for those that have helped rescue the miners!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  35. Nancy in Oregon

Justin D., I think the rescuers are trained how to do that.

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  36. Tomas

Why are they sending rescuers down with tube? How are they going to be brought up afterwards ?

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  37. Scott

Anderson, I just joined this chat and not sure if this question has been posed yet. Is there a backup rescue capsule onsite in case something happens to the primary?

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  38. Carlos Vega

to Linda in Dallas, TX

The drilling company is not from Texas, is Chilean and the capsule was made for ASMAR (Army shipbuilding)

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  39. Linda from Texas

They must be scared out of their mind to sit in a tube of that size. I guess its like sitting in an MRI for 20 minutes. Best not to look.

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  40. ana marie han

Mabuhay (greetings!) from the Philippines! very inspiring effort by men!

October 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  41. Jacqueline, NY

How truly amazing our God is. And what faith those men have. Faith is an action word, something I sometimes forget, and those men are great role models in faith.

October 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  42. mari

My Prayers and thoughts are with all of the families and miners and the people of Chile as I join the rest of World who are also praying for the successful and safe rescue of all of the 33 miners.

October 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  43. Carla

The capsule has just safely arrived below for the second time.

Tonight is one of humanity's great achievments. It is truly remarkable, what people are capable of when acting with faith and good will.

All the best to the Chilean miners and thier families.

October 12, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  44. Pollie

God is good.

October 12, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  45. Yvette

Hi Anderson !!! This is a miracle, so exiting, tears falling

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  46. Justin D

How is the LAST miner/rescuer going to get HIMSELF back to the surface with no help getting into the tube?

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  47. alan

God bliss the miners, family and rescuers and Anderson and your crew.

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  48. MARRY JOY PECHON

we are watching your live coverage right now..what an amazing effort as well as coverage

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  49. Kendra

Great!!!! I am glad the second miner is about to get back up when they take the rescuer out of the capsule!!!!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  50. Juanita Maui Hawaii

Good news for a change. God Bless all those who contributed to this rescue. It's time for all the world to work together like this with Aloha. Stupendous!

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |