October 12th, 2010

Chile Mine Rescue: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, special coverage of the mine rescue mission in Chile. Crews are getting ready to free the first of 33 trapped miners. We'll give you an up close look at the effort.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Rodrigo Jara From Curicó Chile

Hi anderson The second miner is going to be Sepulveda.
    They are 16 rescuers which are going to preserve the calm at the mine, and giving instructions to the group
    Greetings

October 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  2. Linda in Dallas, TX

This is incredible. To watch the capsule from the miners perspective must be overwhelming to so many of them.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  3. Emily

This is really is wonderful to see & hear it all happening on TV Live inside the mine.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Linda van Twist

In Chile mankind at His best! St. Michael and st. Christopher are proud.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  5. Eileen

WOW-What coverage!!! Why are they sending a rescuer after each miner is brought out??

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Rodrigo, Viña del Mar, CHILE

there are 3 more capsules in case one of them brakes. It´s true that it looked worn out after pulling the first one up. I wonder how long it will take for the families to be together alone. I ´m also wondering if as the miners ascend there can be gases in the earth that can intoxicate them. I didn´t see him wearing an antigas mask.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  7. patty scott

Thank God for all involved in this wonderous rescue.

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  8. Becky from Alabama

Praise GOD!!! This is truly a miracle! Now, please everyone give these families a chance to finally be together and enjoy the miracle they have received!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  9. Cindy Spellman

Yesss!!!!...I didnt realize how much I cared about these men til now!!!...I'm so happy I'm cryin....Welcome home guys !!!...We've all been prayin for you!

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  10. Malgosia Modzelewski

A Miracle in Chile Tonight

October 12, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  11. LL Edward

Watching live on CNN now...If it was your choice, would you want to be the First one out ? 4th? ...Last?...Why ?
    I would rather be one of the latter, knowing it works.
    I Hope these Engineers are correct.

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  12. Jennifer

As a coalminers wife,I pray for these family,Thank God they be safe soon.

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  13. steven

i love chile

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  14. Judy

It's not over till they're all up... but when they showed that little boy when the first man made it up... his face said it all.

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  15. Shelby

I am watching the rescue with great emotion. While it is wonderful to see these miners being rescued, a dear friend was lost yesterday in a mining accident in WV. My prayers go out to his family and the families of miners everywhere.

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

I think they are in communication with each man as he ascends, Chris, and probably telling him things like, 'Now it will slow down a moment,' etc. And I think they had very specific reasons for sending the 5 medically trained rescuers in.

October 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  17. kent

Great coverage. What is the temperature difference between the mine and the surface?

October 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  18. Bill H. - Seattle

So happy for all the families involved. We will continue praying for all the miners and rescue workers until all are safe.

October 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  19. Iwona

I'm clapping and Praying at the same time

October 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  20. Amber Khoja

Right now, we are witnessing history in happening. What a great moment for us to be able to watch the miners get rescued. Us sitting on our comfy couches watching this live while the miners are traveling in a metallic capsule surfacing above amongst the rocks. What a moment. A true miracle in happening. God Bless them all! Prayers for them!

October 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  21. Crystal

God is watching with us all I'm sure and protecting.

What will determine if they are healthy enough to leave the hospital after 2 days?

October 12, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  22. Karen MSW student - Grayslake, IL

I love to see the world coming together to celebrate this rescue! It shows our love for humanity! We can all get along! 🙂

October 12, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  23. Carlos Vega

In Chile they are 2 hours ahead.
    It feel so good to say I'm from Chile!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  24. wendy in oz

lets hope they all get out safe and well, to Ronda karalitz, they are sending medical and mine rescue people down to assess their condition before sending them up.

October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  25. SonnyB in Arkansas

how did they decide who was first and who would be last to be rescued? ythis event just shows how we value life and how precious it is....we can pull together!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  26. joey

how many people r they going to send down? doesnt sound very safe

October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

debbie, we'll probably need that clarified. I don't think they are sending 33 rescuers down. I think it was 5 in all...but someone will clarify it I think.

October 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  28. Scott Harper

Watching the miner rescue is truly history in the making. Thanks for doing a great job covering it. I think to myself, what a wonderful thing to see so many people/countries coming together to help rescue them. Why can't people/countries come together this way to resolve world conflicts and make our world a greater place?

October 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  29. Linda in Dallas, TX

Is the drilling company from Texas?

October 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  30. Cathy from Ohio

What a wonderful sight to see live ! Thank God they are going to be back with their families! I cried tears of JOY!

October 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  31. Emily

That little boy is going to have these memories forever on tape too. It really can't even begin to put myself in his shoes.

October 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  32. Sue R. Canton MI.

To see Florencio Avalos surface in the capsule was the most amazing but anxious feeling. Watching his son crying those tears of joy and him hugging his family was a beautiful sight to see.

October 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  33. chris

this live rescue is good stuff, great job, but why are we sending more people into the mine. one person running the show from underground is good. they are not performing triage. it is taking longer on surface to send the capsule back u/g. we will be at this for 4 hrs, and still have 33 people u/g. also, stopping the accent near surface will really get the miners heart racing. they may think something is went wrong. just a few comments from a 30 yr miner

October 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  34. debbie

@Rodrigo, Viña del Mar, CHILE
    Thanks for that info.... but it said that for every miner coming up, one rescuer goes down....

October 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  35. LaFronza

This is the Best of what human nature is. We are at heart loving and compassionate. I'm so glad that the world came together to save those miners.

October 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  36. LL Edward

God-speed to these men. As we Go on with our live, ...they are hoping to continue thiers, one at a time, 45 minutes at a time.

October 12, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  37. Dee Oslund

Truly a miracle, May the brightest light shine over Chile, The Miners, The Rescuers and their families...Finally GOOD news!

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  38. Kendra

Hi MR.Anderson!!!!!! I am so glad the miners is getting rescued!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  39. stacie

My thoughts and prayers are with the miners,rescuers and families as I watch the rescue!It is very touching and I feel the American mining companies have alot to learn from Chile!These men should be compensated for the rest of their lives in my opinion!God bless all involved!

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  40. Billie

Please answer on tv...why is a 2nd rescuer going down- what is purpose of having more men in mine? thank you

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  41. Femi

Seeing the 1st miner's son waiting for his dad was touching.Thumbs up for humanity

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  42. Karoline, Los Angeles

That's very interesting that he has to feel the drilling. It must be how some people get to know their cars. Like with my car-I've had it for several years and I know from how it sounds and feels when it's having issues. Just tiny changes in how it sounds.

Very interesting about the driller.

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  43. Emily

@Archie F Beckett.,
    As an Engineer, this must be something special for you to see. A great perspective you have.

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  44. steven

are paryers go out to the miners in chile

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  45. Becky

This amazing rescue of the miners is a testament to the human spirit and human ingenuity! I am thankful they will be saved.

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

Lamont, I think they wanted the most 'successful' one to go first in terms of weathering the ascent, seeing how rough it is on the guys, etc. This man was apparently not just fit but has been a reliable reporter and recorder all along. They needed is 'take' on it, before they proceeded with the rest.

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  47. Stan Rose NY

Wow..a beautifully "warm" day in CHILE

thanx to the "kind" missile ...quiet world

geniuses at work saving lives !! Great reporting anderson

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  48. Linda

Please replay the first rescue. I missed it. How did the miner look after 70 days underground? Was he moving on his own or weak?

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  49. Gary MacLeod

Hello Anderson

There seems to be a lot of gloom and doom most times when you watch the news. It is wonderful to see something good for a change and to see something as amazing as this rescue for the Chilean miners. It was very exciting and emotional to see the first miner brought up. I am so happy for him and his family. Lets hope and pray that all of the miners will have a happy ending to their horrible ordeal. God bless them all.

Gary MacLeod
    Halifax, Nova Scotia,
    Canada

October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  50. Paul

Outstanding news coverage CNN on the Mine Rescue, if it was not for CNN we wouldnt see this coverage. Anderson keeps us informed with honest, unbiased reporting. thank you.

October 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm |