October 12th, 2010

Chile Mine Rescue: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, special coverage of the mine rescue mission in Chile. Crews are getting ready to free the first of 33 trapped miners. We'll give you an up close look at the effort.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sarah from Canada

The rescuers keep coming to mind as well... may God give them strength to work through the rescue.

I may have missed this – will the miners receive counselling once all rescued? I would think this has been very trying on them...

This is amazing to watch... it's nice to have good news!

October 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  2. Ron Anderson - Lake Stevens, WA USA

They said earlier the strongest ones were coming out first in case there were any problems. They had the best chance of enduring any issues.

October 12, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  3. Emily

@Julie, Switzerland,
    Indeed, the rescue workers have to be brought back up safely too. Glad you are still watching and blogging.

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  4. kate in Panama City

1 down 32 to go. its way past my bedtime but here i am waiting eagerly to witness history..

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

I've hoped they have a back-up capsule ready to use too, Henna...or all the tools and equipment to do repairs right there.

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  6. J Hendricks

Please talk about how they determined the order in which the miners would be rescued!

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  7. Linda

When we all work together and are focused miracles happen! Amazing!

October 12, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  8. Sandra

As a wife of a miner, some things kept from the public isn't a bad thing. If my husband were trapped in the mine, I wouldn't want the world to see everything going on. There is some right to privacy. I understand with Sago there were mistakes, also mistakes by the media

October 12, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  9. John

I near shed tears when the first one came out..his little boy crying..it was really hearttouching. I thank GOD for keeping those men alive! Kudos to the Chilean government and all contributors to this great humanitarian work. God bless you all.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  10. Cristobal Fernandez

Hi, I'm Cris. I am a Chilean who lives in the states (Maryland) and I want to thanks CNN for the uninterrupted live coverage. I have missed a single picture of the rescue of the miners, you people are awesome. I never thought you all would have dedicated so much time to this news coverage. It was just breath-taking to see the first miner being pulled out.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

Ronda Karelitz, I think most of the 5 going down are medical people. Not all the miners are in great shape and will need to be helped.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  12. Barbara from Columbia, SC

I believe this is nothing short of a miracle. I feel like one of the miners when he said, they were not alone. I really believe Christ has always been there with them. It is amazing to see how people can come together all across the world during a time like this whether it be through thoughts, deeds or prayers. God is an awesome God, and he is worthy to be praised.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Lamont

Why have they decided to bring out the strongest mines first?

And the answer to the steam question is that the steam comes from the capsule as it heats up in the air the air temp blow is higher than on the surface or so they said

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  14. Emily

@Rodrigo, Viña del Mar, CHILE,

That's wonderful...hearing the car horns honking outside...great details that you are providing us. Thanks.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  15. Hector

This guys are about 2000feet in to the ground...(two times the hight of the Empire State Building)...it's not easy to drill straight down.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  16. Millie-Canada

Anderson could you give us info on how the miners usually got down in the mine each day.
    Also will one of the rescuers be the last one to come up? I'm so curious about these things. Tks.

October 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  17. Nikki G in Detroit

Mesmerizing video - sending congratulations and positive thoughts to all involved in the miraculous rescue. Thanks to the Chilean government for the refreshing transparency and allowing us to witness and share the joy!

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  18. wendy burgess

Amazing footage what would we do without heroes like the rescuers that went down the shaft to the miners seeing it all live in adelaide australia

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  19. Mark

I dont get why they are sending people down the mine? what for??

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  20. Irina Carvalho

An amazing step for manking!!!! When working together with God, hope and faith miracles happen!!!!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  21. Pablo

I'm Argentine and very proud of my neighbor Chilean friends- impressive coordination of the chilean enginers and certainly God is with all of the miners. God bless each and every one of them and their families.

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  22. Dayana

@ Ronda Karelitz; i agree with you! if they have 1 rescuer down there why are they going to send another??

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  23. Lynn

Please God, bring all these heroes home safely and thank you to the people who worked so long and hard to rescue them. Absolutely incredible that they could survive this ordeal and stay sane, I surely could not. I pray they all come out of this with no lasting consequences as they deserve the best that life can give them now. My heart is out to everyone involved. It may be the day after Canada's Thanksgiving but we truly have something grand to be greatful for.

October 12, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  24. Patty

What is going on with the door?

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  25. Shirley Millingen

Thanks to CNN and to my fave Anderson Cooper for allowing us the priviledge of witnessing this amazingly spiritual rescue of the
    miners.

My cup runneth over and I suspect that it is not the only one filled to the brim this evening.

I am so grqteful that I was able to share in this miracle. As one of the miners said: "There were 34 underground. God would not have left them alone down there!"

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  26. Michele

This is so wonderful – thank you Anderson and CNN for letting us all see the first rescue live!

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  27. Archie F Beckett. mec. Engineer SCOTLAND.

HI. be sure to check the condition of the wheels on the rescue pod as the operation progresses. to be sure that they dont freeze up or loose their effectivness!!good luck.

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  28. Henna

Do they have another capsule in case the door breaks?

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  29. Nancy in Oregon

Steve Miltier, I think they said the shaft is at an 80 degree angle, owing to the terrain.

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  30. Helene Rohn

Let's pray to God that all will continue to go well and all the miners and rescuers will come back up safe.

October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  31. allen wilson

Betty and allen from North Bay Ontario

God is Good. Bless all miners and rescuers.
    Bless CNN for keeping us up to Date.My prayers are with you until every last one is safe

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  32. Karen

Awesome to see the first man out! He looked good!

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  33. Tiffany in Oregon

I'm really wishing I took Spanish instead of French in High school. That first miner was a huge relief. I wish they had subtitles!!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  34. Ronda Karelitz

Why is someone going down the mine when they are trying to bring a miner up? I missed this info if you said it. So many different voices. Thanks.

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  35. lucero

Wow! I got chills from watching the images of the ascent. I am so happy for them and pray that every single one gets out fine! Thank God for the first official rescue:)

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  36. julie

i was already crying and then seeing the little boy made it worse or better...... i am so excited and so full of praise!

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  37. Clarence

Is there any chance that the rescuees will develop the bends as they are brought to the surface from more than 2000 feet below ground?

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  38. Arianne West Palm Beach, Fl

It's amazing! I'm speechless about how brave the rescuers are going underground saving the miners!
    One rescued, hopefully everything will run smooth and the others will be brought back to surface safe 🙂
    Thanks Anderson for the coverage

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  39. Dee

What amazing coverage of a dramatic recovery. I have watched every moment and congratulate you on a sensitive coverage. The recovery of the first miner brought tears to my eyes, and I am sure to the eyes of the world.

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

@Megan, yes I am hoping the miners are healthy when they return after so much time underground.

Wonderful to see that capsule emerge with Florencio Avalos. A very emotional reunion with his family. Overwhelming for all of them.

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  41. Emily

I thought of that too, Anderson.
    That in Sago mining disaster there was no cameras, no "transparency". This is truly wonderful. So glad that this rescue is happening during your show. Your coverage is Great!!

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  42. Stacey

What a miracle to see the first miner resurface and be reunited.. Great to finally see something good versus all the negative news stories! God bless them all, and bless all the rescue workers for their brave efforts!

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  43. Mimi

What a relief.

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  44. Steve

I am from Chile and watching with mixed feelings about the government, it seems to me that the government is equally if not more concerned with the TV production and how it appears on TV as with the well being and rescue of the miners...
    Though I am happy that all is going well and continues to do so until all are reunited with their families.

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  45. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Rodrigo, that's what I understood too...that 5 would go down to help and assess things. Bless them.

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  46. julie

so glad to watch the miners being rescued. I cried when they brought the first one out, his son and wife were so happy

October 12, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  47. Steve Miltier

Why is the capsule going in on an angle instead of straight over the opening to the shaft?

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  48. Robbie C

Keep the Faith and they will all be rescued...God will walk with you

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  49. Dayana

heyyyy everyone! can someone please explain to me why is there another rescuer going down if theres already one down there! so does this mean 33 miners come out! so 33 resuers go down??

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  50. Ron Anderson - Lake Stevens, WA USA

This is a great night for humanity. The rescue of these miners is a miracle for the world to embrace.

October 12, 2010 at 11:28 pm |