October 6th, 2010

Subpoenas Issued in John Edwards Investigation: Join the Live Chat

We have breaking news out of North Carolina where new subpoenas are issued in the investigation of former presidential candidate John Edwards. Plus,  the student body president at the University of Michigan breaks his silence. Hear what Chris Armstrong has to say about the attacks by the state's assistant district attorney.  Anderson also talks with talk show host Dr. Phil McGraw on bullying.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sarah Palin for President???? I don't think so for president, She don't have experience politics at all.

October 6, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Sally

I am proud of Anderson Cooper and CNN for exposing the horror of bullying, homophobia, prejudice and inequality. Until the day comes that people are judged for who they are not whom they choose to love, the media needs to keep it on the front burner.

October 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Janis Hewitt

The national debates will be very interesting if Sarah Palin runs for president.

October 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why do these public officials like Edwards think they'll never get caught.

October 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Nicole The Netherlands

Saw all the shows with Oprah about the whole John Edwards `thing`. Hope Elizabeth Edwards health is doing good.

October 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

You have to give Elizabeth Edwards credit that she continues to "co-parent" with Mr. Edwards.

Obviously her focus truly is her children.

October 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Chris Armstrong..... Thanks Anderson for interview Chris...... I know how Chris felt that way..... kudos to Anderson.

October 6, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Rob West Palm Beach

Great job Chris Armstrong. How long is it going to take for this kook Shervill to get fired? This guy is scary, and a public figure? Wow, man up Cox and fire this idiot before he causes more damage...

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is so sad about some children left in despair.

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Libby

It makes me sick to think that John Edwards did all that while Elizabeth was coping with cancer, taking care of his children, and standing by him while he campaigned.. He's icky!

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Karen, MN

I hope Sarah Palin run for president,but not because I would vote for her. It would make for great TV watching. SNL would once again have great material.

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Jacqueline, NY

Good evening all!

October 6, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Chi

@Emily Dear Emily, Edwards, the vampire, is adorable. 😀

October 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  14. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Hi Anderson Cooper and AC360 crews.
    Thank you Mr Cooper for your cordial invitation to interview Chris Armstrong, he seems to maturely tackle the situation and be in good-spirited in the midst of national crisis.
    Looking forward to the entire bullying series.

October 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Tim

I'm grateful for Anderson keeping on top of the story involving the Asst. AG and his lunatic rantings, the one thing that is missing is....where is the President of the University of Michigan? Everyone here in the State of Michigan knows how powerful that school is. Seems to me that the silence of those that could do something about this "bullying" is far more noisier than anything else.

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

Bullying has become so much more serious and dangerous today then it was when I was younger. With the internet,texting and all the high tech equip. that we have ,it can do a lot of damage to a persons life and career. I think technology is going forward to fast. It's good,,but we can see the damage it's done also.

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Jamie

I don't understand the cruelty of people in our world. What do they think gives them the right to treat others this way. And, why aren't more people doing something about it?

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Kevin Epling, MI

Once an issue is acknowledged then they have to take action. Look what happened after Phoebe and how they have made changes but a year earlier a well respected authority said they need to change and they did nothing.

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. vic , nashville tn

John Edwards sex life his personal but who ever misuse the campaign money must punish

October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Nancy-'Edwards sure turned out to be different than many had perceived him to be...my sister included. She was very disappointed in him. We can only imagine how those closely involved with him must feel'

Same here, I was very disappointed in him too. I was going to vote for him if he ran for the presidency, probably a good thing he didn't get it!

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Great...another sex tape handed over to the Grand Jury. What another sad story of promise and potential gone wrong due to selfish needs.

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

Heather, it sounds like a job we could all use!

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Agree all of you, Shame on John Edwards..... I hope that he would never happen again own his learn lesson.

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Nina

Elizabeth Edwards is a strong woman. I have a lot of respect for her

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  25. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Hi Anderson Cooper and AC360 crews.

Thank you Mr Cooper for your cordial invitation to interview Chris Armstrong, he seems to maturely tackle the situation and be in good-spirited.
    Looking forward to the entire bullying series.

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Wow, John Edwards back in the news. It's been a long time.

I think it will be a sensational story when the investigation is completed and all that happened is exposed.

I feel so badly for those people that really believed in him.
    What a disappointment he turned out tobe.

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Kevin Epling, MI

Sadly many school leaders will not watch these programs as it hits too close to home.
    Easier to ignore than to deal with the issues.

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive". John Edwards learned that you can't hide that kind of behavior in this day and age. What a mess he made of his life.

October 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Emily

It's creepy seeing Edwards like that...
    so two-faced.

October 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Heather - Spokane, WA

Is 15,000.00 a month the 'going rate' for a videographer? If so, thet videographer better be one of the best!

October 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Melissa Hatfield

Thank you for bringing attention to bullying and the resulting suicides by those who are persecuted by bullies. Suicide among children and teens is heart wrenching and must be addressed.

Please use this opportunity to investigate and report on teen suicide on our Indian Reservations. This summer, June – August, there were 19 suicides on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. All ages 12 – 19. Please, please, please keep them honest, Anderson.

October 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

Edwards sure turned out to be different than many had perceived him to be...my sister included. She was very disappointed in him. We can only imagine how those closely involved with him must feel.

October 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Kenya

Tsk. Not good for Mr. Edwards!

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Kay

I am from Michigan and an alumna of U of M. I can't be more embarrassed and sad that someone, especially a member of the Michigan state government, would be so cruel to a private citizen. If I still lived in Michigan, I would start a petition to recall Mike Cox and get him booted from office. But I give Chris Armstrong a LOT of credit – he kept his cool and took the high road during his time on AC360.

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Chi

Re John Edwards and Ms Hunter: hmmm Too bad!!!

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,
    Interesting show so far tonight.

October 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Mark

I think it's great that Chris Armstrong spoke out... it will make a big difference for young people to see a strong role model given all the suicides that have occurred.

October 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Lynn, Wisconsin

What a wonderfully mature young man you are, Chris. Way to go taking the high road against your attacker! You're showing great leadership and support for so many people this evening. Thank you Anderson for bringing this horrible situation to light! Keep your head held high, Chris!

October 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Nicole The Netherlands

@Emily, Thankyou !Yes I will be there tomorrow.
    Hope the blog will be up, dvr´ed some of the show. This topic is so hard to watch.
    I have been bullied for years, not in this way though.. But I did learn to cycle very fast.. To outrun them..

October 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Cindy

Eager to hear from Chris Armstrong. I am disgusted with both the Assistant Attorney General and the Attorney General. Appaling that Mike Cox has not been fired.

October 6, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Emily

@Gloria,
    "...but please, learn to show respect in speech."
    I think that many of them lack self-respect! If they had it, they wouldn't treat others in that manor. People can disagree, (have & solved great issues doing so), yet by showing respect for one-another and they had it for themselves first.

October 6, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  42. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

It is an interesting pt that comes up in this story and in the intvw with the Michigan atty gen–that much of what is politcal discouse is so similar to bullying.

I do think though that Andrew Shirvell does have a right to protest or blather on about Chris Armstrong, though I do have to wonder why he's doing it.

October 6, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Libby

Tom, I hope your next Attorney General & his staff are a whole lot different than the current ones!

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Willie Smith

The assistant Attorney Generals comments were definitely hurtful. Then again...."thank him" for the WIN that he helped the guy to get by his ignorance and the additional publicity he inadvertently helped with !!!!

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson for having Chris Armstrong on your show.

And you are right, it was very courageous for him to come on with you.
    I particularly admire that he felt that he needed to speak out in lieu of all of the suicides.

@Nancy- torment is a terrific word for what Chris Armstrong has been going through in such a public forum. God Bless him and all others like him.

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Karoline, Los Angeles

I really appreciate CNN and Cooper paying attention to this issue of bullying. It's so important. So many schools and school districts have their heads in the sand on the matter. At least the media is trying to pick up their slack.

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Nancy in Oregon

That's what I'm hoping too, Samantha Rowley.

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  48. vic , nashville tn

Chris Armstrong fight back when you think you’re right , first step speak

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Tom

As a resident of Michigan, I'm appalled that one of my state government officials is spearheading this ridiculous, homophobic campaign.

October 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Sharon Hastings. He pretty clearly has emotional problems.

October 6, 2010 at 10:14 pm |