October 5th, 2010

Ellen DeGeneres on the Battle Against Bullying: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, truth in advertising. You deserve no less from the people seeking your vote. But you may not be getting it. Plus, kids and bullying. My talk with students and a special conversation with Ellen DeGeneres, who is passionate about the problem.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. vic , nashville tn

@ Karen,Mn I agree but if these guys get death penalty they will get freedom soon so they have to say behind bar till they die

October 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

I hear you, Karen and Nina. It is a case of two very sick individuals.

October 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Thanks Anderson and AC360 Team for bringing to light a difficult subject matter with bullying. However, it is so important as what happens to us as kids often plays out in adult life as well. It can't just be seen as a "right of passage" during childhood. Great discussion and blogs tonight.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!

October 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. mari in bangkok

the reason to bully is not only about gay. people, who bully others, also have some struggles inside them. but nobody has any rights to do anything to cause others to death.

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Not good idea invasion into homes!!!!!! That's so danger place I have seen... YIKES!

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Emily

What a wonderful community! 🙂
    Great that they have been there for Dr. Petit.

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Karen, MN

Okay,, it is time for something lighter. Where is the funny shot?

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Grateful that the verdict is guilty (what else could it be).

In my mind this man deserves the death penalty.

Heartbreaking to see the Dr. Petit, i truyly pray he will be able to have some kind of a peaceful life.

Why are the culprits being tried separately? Does anyone know?

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Lori, CA

I really do not understand the importance of lighting the match. If he was involved with procurement of gasoline, then he had intent to light a fire. Geeze

October 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Nina

I am not a big fan of the death penalty, however, in certain situations like this one, I would certainly consider it!

October 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

This guy has kids? Geesh, bet they have to watch out being bullied now too!

October 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Emily

That's great advice, Gilda!

October 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Denise

Excellent show - I feel that there needs to be more education for students and a willingness to step in and stop bullying when it happens. Instead of condoning it, peer pressure should be used to stop these bullies - strength in numbers. Hate is a "learned behavior" - taught by their environment (ie. family, some religious groups, etc..). Tolerance should be taught throughout - none of us are the same - that's the beauty of humanity.

October 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Janis Hewitt

This home invasion case still leaves me speechless and sad.

October 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Larry

Rappers don't help the cause as they tell kids not to 'snitch'.

October 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  16. vic , nashville tn

I have two daughters I wish they stay behind the bar

October 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Karen, MN

I'm not a big death penalty supporter, but these guys certain deserve it. This is pure evil.

October 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Rose From Calif

I feel bad for this man who wife and daughters was killed and raped. This murder should be put down like a dog, that he is. May God be with him. Killers don't have emotions thats their trade mark.

October 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Robin

My grandson had a problem today with being bullied by 3 boys who were using drugs and they thought he had "turned them in". They threatened to beat him up after school and had already hit him at lunch time. I went and met with the leader bully and spoke to him from my heart about kids I knew who had died in the 60's from drugs. We ended the conversation with a HUG between he and myself and a promise that he would think about his life and leave my grandson alone. They sent him a text after I left with an apology and a message about his grandmom being cool.

October 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Colleen

To "Greg"'s comment above suggesting that the situation with Tyler C. would have not been any different had he been streamed live with a girl: I HIGHLY doubt that. More likely he would have been branded some kind of "stud". We've all seen or heard examples of extreme hatred toward gay people – it's vehement...and this is what likely went through that poor boy's mind. It would NOT have been the same if he'd been with a girl.. no way.

October 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Nina

What horrible deaths. Dr Petit must be going through so much emotional pain.. my heart goes out to him.

October 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Sue R. Canton MI.

It's great to see Ellen on your show.
    We all need to find a little something that we can do with trying to stop some of this bullying. maybe by starting in our homes and not allowing any gay bashing or bullying in the home. Also many churches teach kids that homosexuality is wrong starting at a very young age.

October 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Emily

I think it's great that so much positive things are being done in Tylers' name. Great that Ellen has gotten involved and that 'People' Mag. is doing a special with AC360 too.

October 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Larry C

Gay kids are killing themselves 4 times as often as a "straight" kid. Young people have no one to talk to. They cannot go to mon and dad. They cannot go to their minister either. The Catholic and Mormon churches are spending Millons of dollars in the political arena "Prop 8". Ministers preach Sundays about the sin of being gay. God created me this way. Until adults accept us their kids will continue to bully as this is what they hear at home

October 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Nina

Gilda October 5th, 2010 10:42 pm ET
    PARENTS!!! Keep telling your kids how precious ,wonderful and valuable they are.. So no other can convince them of the opposite!!!

I completely agree. Well stated!!!

October 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Stephen Wilkerson (Maryland)

Anderson,

One of your viewers hit the nail right on the head. It's a question of empathy. Not something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't. I figure about have the adult population has it. A much smaller percentage of young people. If you don't have it then you can't put yourself in someone elses position and therefore don't care. It's that simple...

Drew

October 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Todd

Thank you for making this issue public. While I don't agree with bulling in the least bit. I do think it's important that new outlets like yourself talk about how suicide isn't the answer or a way out. A lot of kids think that suicide will make them famous or teach other when in reality, it hurt more people then it helps. Let's have a show about hope, getting past the bulling, how suicide causes more pain for the ones you love and who care about you. Suicide isn't the answer! Be brave and strong.

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I think whatever the form of bullying is happening, kids need an outlet to get help. There is so much help and concern out there and kids need to know this. Of course, the best communication is with their parents (if that is a healthy situation).

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Pat

This doesn't just apply to gender issues, but religion, color. Its painful for a child when acceptance is so vital during that phase of life. Your teens years are your formative years. What you experience then molds you as an adult, and those who become victims, tend to suffer depression, perform poorer in their jobs, be less social, and perhaps become anti-social and likely to commit crimes. Its not their fault. Its all a results of an individuals experiences as they grow up. What you live forms you. We all start with a clean slate when we are born, and unfortunately, pick up a lot of unnecessary hurt along the way that affects lives forever.

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

It's true, Kenya, it's just another form of terrorism, isn't it?

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Mike, IA

I'm not gay but I was always teased for being over weight. I've watched kids get teased for wearing old or "generic clothes". To the bully it may be funny but they don't ever think of how much it effects the person they are bullying.

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Renay

Everyone has the right to live their life that is right for themselves, whether other people approve or not. People who don't approve, or can't accept someone who is different from themselves, not matter what the difference is, doesn't give them the right to demean or bulley anyone to make themselves feel better. Put the shoe on the other foot, and take a good look in the mirror before you make someone else's life miserable by bullying them.

October 5, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Alex

Just saw those kids talking about not feeling worthy. Man, so many memories, I can't hold my tears..

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Gilda

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES! Steven Hayes found guilty today!!!!! I am relief hear that, he is jail now!!! Yay!!

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Michael Armstrong Sr. Tx.

Wild animals ether belong free or else in cages not to run free in a circus .

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Morgan

Hello, I was a victum of bulling in High school by class mates and teachers. I am a transgender at age 43 and feel bulling is unexceptable in all forms.

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Bullies bully because they do not equal up, but the true of the matter is they really amaze the person. Go figure!

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  39. vic , nashville tn

Ellen I agree definition of love between two hearts

October 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  40. lisal -canada

even an adult who hears derogatory messages from someone consistently hears them over and over in their head – children absorb these messages even more readily and are affected even more deeply by them

October 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Nancy in Oregon

Maybe there's more fear now, Denise. Maybe the bullies have more ways of turning on those who defend the others? I don't know...just wondering. Maybe the bullies of the world wield more power now.

October 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Martin

Anderson is doing a great service by highlighting the issues of bullying. I work in a school in Massachusetts and we are under a legal obligation now to deal with bullying directly. It is a very, very difficult and important undertaking. I think everyone is touched by bullying on some level. It is fascinating to take a random group of adults and ask them how they were bullied, not if, how. Some of the adult bullies were bullied themselves. Keep up the good work.

October 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Nina

@ Jim T

I am so sorry to hear about your son. Yes, they feel so alone. :~( It is also devastating for parents when they find out what their beloved child has been through. I am delighted that he is getting the much needed help.

October 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  44. David

One problem is that parents can't witness their kids behavior at school. I would love to see a school put webcams throughout the campus, and allow parents to check in and monitor on a website. Maybe that would keep the little hellraisers in line.

October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Tyler

I am tired of all these people making fun of others for being gay, they have a right to be gay. that doesn't make them any different than someone who isn't. I support anyone who is willing to "come out"

October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Gilda

I think bullying is particulary from cowards, and for those been bullied,think you are a son/daughter of God and you are very precious to Him. Ignoring their comments will be the best bet!!

October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Starr, formerly known as vincent

EXcellent interview with Ellen.

I remember when she came out and how aweful, initially it was for her.

Now she is a great success and her message tonight is wonderful.

I hope that Ellen will continue to speak out and maybe do some PSA's with other celebreties.
    I know there is one PSA like that, but we need to keep them in the public arena on a regular basis (and for all the other kids whose bullying is Not about sexual orientation.)

October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  48. keona

i would like to say i know how it feels i was called names like burnt girl all types of burnt names it hurt bad people dont understand what they do to people we are all human and we should love eachother i had to get over what people say im me im happi and i not going anywhere i here to stay i love myself my family loves me and my boyfriend love me thats good for me i wish the best in life for everyone god bless

October 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Meret

Am I the only one concerned about the young man in the video with Tyler Climenti. Ellen reach out to him and his family, He is a victim too.

October 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  50. alexander

Having been teased in the 80's when in school, I think it has gotten a little better over the years for gays, but it doesn't erase the hurt–or my memory–of what happened. But, one thing that I have found is true today as it was yesterday is that 'the squeakiest wheel always wants to get greased'! Get it?

It is totally true, trust me!

October 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm |