October 5th, 2010

Ellen DeGeneres on the Battle Against Bullying: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, truth in advertising. You deserve no less from the people seeking your vote. But you may not be getting it. Plus, kids and bullying. My talk with students and a special conversation with Ellen DeGeneres, who is passionate about the problem.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kenya

The sad thing is that as long as there are differences between people there will always be those who feel the need to terrorize others that are not like them..this fear of acceptance of all that is different is the problem.

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Emily

That's so true about nearly everyone I think. People feel better and more comfortable in their own skin every year.

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Eliza

Awesome Anderson!
    Thank you for all you are doing for kids, Haiti and other human issues that are important –
    We need more news people like you –
    Keep up the great work

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Janis Hewitt

I don't think gays should be 'outed' when they are not ready. They should do it on their own time and they may never decide to do it. They need the chance to go through the family adjustment, time to tell parents and loved ones who don't know. It's their choice not ours. You would hope they would have the courage to free themselves but everybody is different in emotional strength and confidence. Gays are outing each other cruelly. it's all about human dignity.

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Denise

Where are the heroes among today's youth? When I was an adolescent I stood up for the kids who were being bullied. Where are the kids who are brave enough to stand against the bullies when they see it happening to another kid?

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Nancy in Oregon

Ellen is so right too that making fun of people in a mean-spirited way, any people, just isn't funny.

October 5, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Cessy - Chicago

Love! Love! Ellen!!!

October 5, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Let courage be the one to stand and speak up to a bully!

October 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Sharon Hastings

Isn't Ellen the greatest? Such a good human being. She has alot to offer with this issue and I'm so glad she decided to be involved.

October 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. David (Charleston, SC)

God what courage to come out in the 8th grade. Imagine the courage he could show in the military – oh wait, that's right, that's reinforcing the mindset of second class citizenship.

October 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Rose From Calif

Ellen we love you! Good for you that you are helping our young gay people, thanks!

October 5, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ellen DeGeneres is right about that, I know she felt that she was bullied or hurt her feelings. I agree with her. she is my favorite actress.

October 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Jim T

Thanks for the focus on bullying. Our son was targeted and called gay, homosexual and threatened because he was small, into the arts and had a skin condition. His is not homosexual. He never told us what was going on and began cutting himself and eventually tried to kill himself. He is now getting help but he felt just like your program says " no escape" . He could not tell even tell us his parents. Talk about feeling all alone and no place to go.

October 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Just love Ellen! She just explained the very reason I don't go to comedy clubs because comedians often degrade others all for the proverbial laugh. I love her passion to helping these kids out.

October 5, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Robert Drake

As a hate crime survivor 1/31/99. I understand neither why this young man killed himself, or, more insidiously, was bullied to death by gay-fearful peers.
    Why is being gay still viewed as a fate worse than death? I'm a practicing Quaker, and my Meeting/Church has always been supportive of my recovery. I'm lucky. But, I never came out 'till I was in a "safe place". I'm lucky there, too.

October 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Mike, IA

Unfortunately their are kids who grow up with kind of closed minded ignorance. There isn't anyone their to tell them it's wrong and explain to them why it's wrong.

October 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson for having the panel with the young men and women still in school.

They make it clear just how bad it still is and how very few adults take bullying seriously.

It seems bullying remains a "right of passage"in the adults' minds.

I agree with the young man who said bullying Can Be CHanged..he's right, it can. Let's not have "blood" on anyones hands with all of these kids who were ignored by their shcool and committed suicide.

October 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Karen, MN

A BIG shout out to Ellen! I will help how ever I can.

October 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Tom

Just like gangs in the inner city (and elsewhere) position is gained by showing strength over others. And the easiest persons to show power over are those who are smaller, less physical, or appear effeminate. It's all about proving themselves to their peers.

And as Anderson noted during the interviews, gay accusations are the strongest, most powerful non-physical weapons they can use.

As bullies vye for position over each other, particularly those lower on the power totem pole, take it beyond words to physical assaults.

Whether physical assault or just words, it limits – yes limits – options for those who are bullied. Once labeled, true or false, they can't get dates, they have a harder time speakign up for themselves in classes, etc. etc.

October 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Emily

I don't think that many adults really understand how bad bullying can be for many now, with Facebook, Twitter, etc. It's not something that you can "just walk away from", etc.

October 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Janis Hewitt

The feeling of helplessness and aloneness seems to be common. If a child indicates they are being bullied then maybe if families embrace them and say "the family has a problem" and lift the burden from the child. Lift it from their shoulders some way. Congress and school systems have to give the familys a way of proceeding from there.

October 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Simon T.

The topic of teen bullying is bringing up a part of my past I wanted left where it was. My junior and high school years (1875-1980) were horrific. Do I let these memories surface, and talk about them in hopes of helping others, even one other, or do I work harder to surpress them? I'm at a crossroad here.

October 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

That student said it all "they're scared of it".

Wonderful interviews with the kids. It makes me so sad and angry to hear them. Their lives must be miserable at school.

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

Mr Prichard is trying to protect students' process of finding out for themselves their own sexuality. That's a serious pt for educators in my opinion. Though I think there must be ways to address more specifically bullying kids because of their sexuality.

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Lynette

I was bullied as a child, and there was no one listening. What happened to me escalated over 3 years to sexual assault which i carry with me to this day. It is a crime not only to bully, but to turn the other cheek and pretend u don't see it. It's everyones responsibility to speak up or stand up because if we ignore other people's suffering, we are part of the problem.

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

Vic, someone said unmarried women can't work in public schools?!! Really? (Isn't that kinda funny, too, because there was a time when it was mainly the unmarried women who were supposed to!!)

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Excellent discussion with the teenagers on bullying! Very good questions asked...love the answers given.

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. David (Charleston, SC)

I went to an all Christian private school for 12 years as a Jew. Til this day, because of the bullying EVEN FROM THE TEACHERS!

Bullying is nothing but intolerance and bigotry wrapped in the excuse of childhood and reinforced by the passiveness of a general community and replicated by ignorant adults.

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Rose From Calif

Why is this kind of abuse going on in these school? As human being are we that evil? Why are the parents and schools aren't doing anything? Should school and parents of these bullies be sued?

October 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like students talked about bullies, how teenagers felt that way against bullies, I likee Anderson asked a questions students about bullies.

October 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Emily

It's Verbal Abuse... what that young boy is going through.

October 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. janet

Yes bullying is a problem, but i feel there is a much bigger problem...kids today are being bombarded with so much "sexuality" in the media, that they loose themselves and don't know what sexual preference they are.

October 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Colleen

Horribly frightening that there was no pause when Anderson asked those kids if they were surprised by so many kids killing themselves over being bullied. Immediate understanding from those kids. This is just breaking my heart

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Dave Dauphine

My 13 year old neice is bullied mercilessly at her school. She's not gay, but the bullies call her "lesbian" anyway. The problem is bullying. It affects all kinds of kids, straight and gay. Fixing the problem is about addressing bullying. "Teaching the gay" is nonsense.

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Larry

There has always been bullying and it will never be stopped. I was bullied for years but never let it get to me because my goals in life were more important to me than wasting time on juvenile reactions of revenge or letting them think they were getting to me. I have no ill will towards any of those that bullied me and hope that they eventually grew up and became responsible and productive citizens of society.

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. vic , nashville tn

Kids don’t ever think you’re lower than others please

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Lisa in Louisville

The hate has to stop! Not just against homosexuals, but people of different faiths, different abilities, etc. Thanks AC360 for raising awareness of this issue!

October 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Emily

@Lori,
    I think that they need to learn to have respect for themselves too! (as well as others)

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Sue R. Canton MI.

Some kids come from home's where they are exposed to bullying and gay bashing all the time. I think more parents need to be aware of their behavior in front of the children.

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Soledad Gomez

Yeah, Ellen is right, it was cruel video taping such a private act.

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Alicia Beckham

Denise....my son's school (and even all city/county schools) in our community has been very supportive helping my son raise awareness about Bullying..even made a PSA regarding this. My son's friend was bullied because he was Autistic NOT gay and ANDERSON please know that this is bad in Elementary schools as well. Denise..I am so sorry that your school system doesn't seem supportive.

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Mark

It's scary to think that people are still so close minded in the year 2010... can't wait for Anderson's new daytime show (he'll reach an all-new audience).

October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. vic , nashville tn

US senator saying in public Gay and unmarried woman can’t work in public schools

That is called bully

October 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Karen, MN

My daughter just had a boy from her high school over last night to catch him up on math that he missed during his week in the hospital for depression. Why are our teenagers so sad. I pray he will be okay.

October 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy- excellent post re: the two people who exposed Ty's private moments.

I haven't heard anything about them, or what is going on with the charge against them.

October 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Lisa in Louisville

Are people afraid that being homosexual is contagious?

October 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Lori, CA

There is generally a lack of respect in teenagers. They need to learn respect for everyone and everything around them.

October 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Emily

@Karen, MN,
    "Anoka county has a high % of suicide."
    That's really sad to read. 🙁
    There is no doubt that there are many reasons for bullying. I think that people have to call a spade a spade and address each individual case. Hard to believe that there are people saying that this is about "promoting a gay agenda".

October 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Mariam

I agree it's not just gay students being bullied. It's everywhere and in many different situations. I remember a kid being bullied for being in the honor roll in middle school. I also recall a kid being bullied for still watching cartoons! It's crazy. People are just close-minded and I don't think that will ever change, and if it does, we won't see progress just yet.

October 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Tom

Perhaps the types of bullying that we're talking about are different for guys and girls, so I can only speak to the bullying encountered by guys.

In the "guy" world, everyone is jockeying for a position – a position with the girls, a position with a favorite teacher, a position on sports team, and most importantly, a position in the cliques that are a part of high school life.

October 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm |