September 30th, 2010

Should the Mich. Asst. AG be fired?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360, more on the strange case fo the Michigan Assistant Attorney General targeting a gay University of Michigan student. Also, Dr. Phil joins us to talk about cyberbullying and the Rutgers student who committed suicide this week after his roommate streamed live video online of him kissing another boy. And an update to our Dr. Detectives series. 360 MD Sanjay Gupta joins us along with patient Sally Massagee. That and more on AC360° tonight at 10pm ET.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Libby

I'm glad they updated us on Sally's status! 😀

September 30, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Gail Duncan

Thanks AC360 team for going where few journalist dare to go and keeping the public aware of issues that usually are swept under the table.

September 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

So sorry Kevin.

Anderson, thank you for reporting on these issues. They are painful but I believe your reporting can make a difference. People listen to your show and these issues need the light of day.

September 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Ron from PA

These kids who are bullying other kids who they believe are gay are merely acting out what their parents and other adults who they look up to have shown them through example.

Witness the assistant attorney general Andrew Shirvell and his obsessive cyberbullying and harassment of the University of Michigan Student Body President Chris Armstrong–all because Armstrong is gay.

September 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Andrew

Offer help! Anderson, Please Please give out some hotline numbers or webpages where these kids can get some help! I think I saw some on Ellen's page.
    Andrew
    Philadelphia

September 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Kevin E......please keep up the advocacy. We need you. You're so helpful. Thank you.

September 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Life can be devastating when you don't really who or what you are. We have to give life a chance.

September 30, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Lori, CA

Parents really need to use their noodles and use creativity to address this issue of bullying. It can help to get the extended family and friends involved in supporting the student.

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

I was bullied when I was a kid, but to be a kid and be bullied right now is a different field. With the technology we have now it is so much worse. There need to be laws against this

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Roseann Schwartz

As a parent who has paid for two daughters to receive the best that education can buy, I would be terribly upset if Chris was my son; not only is his being bullied, but this young man is also being denied his right to an education! I hardly think Shirvell would be required to pay the tuition if Chris does not do well on his mid-terms. Where is there justice for the victim?

I pray for him and his family that they have the strength to overcome the bullying and that this young man is protected.

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Kevin E

Many of the kids we loose are very bright and outgoing talented people who are trapped by others into despair my son Matt Epling was the vicitm of a school hazing which many in our town thought was "expected"

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Lindy

on second thought you're right, resignation would be better! After making my calls to my elected officials today, I was, in so many words, encouraged to have everyone and their brother contact the Michigan governor.

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Kenya

The more we talk about this, the more this will be heard- and the closer we will get to seeing change. Thanks Ellen, Dr. Phil, Mr. Cooper, and everyone speaking out.

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Cessy - Chicago

every state should have a cyberbullying law. do you know yours?

September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I have seen this show of Phil McGraw, I agree with his comment that was so sad for kids or college students had problem bullies at school... That was so horror life to lost ones.

September 30, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  16. lisal -canada

the only think wrong with the "it will get better" message is that now we are seeing the bullying extending into the post-highschool and workplace scenarios. the bullys are growing up and carrying this on into adulthood. shame. some people will never reach a certain social maturity.

September 30, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This story of Tyler Clementi is so sad. These two monsters, Ravi and Wei, need to get more than five years. They should be ostracized by decent society and their dirty deed should follow them for the rest of their lives.

September 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Libby

Chrystal Bowersox singing for Anderson & crew! 😀

September 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Kevin E

In the past week we have lost 4-5 children to suicide connected to bullying. Here in MI we've lost 8 kids ( my son among them) since 2001 and people still ignore what is happening.

September 30, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Sue R. Canton MI.

It's great that the show is taking the time on getting the word out on bullying. I think its time we all step up to the plate and take action.

September 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Tommy

Dr. Phil said it so well, we as a society don't give kids options for comfort from this hell. I as a heterosexal married male can see this....why can't others?

September 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Emily

Do these Kids, Teens, etc have access to Crisis Lines, Distress Lines, etc.? Many are 24/7/365.
    This one young man was a University student...do they advertise these lines?

September 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Janis Hewitt

Can you imagine the emotional hurricane that is going on in these victims minds before they killed themselves. The only way to stop it was to kill themselves. Friends, parents, teachers anybody out there be there for them. If you know someone is being bullied stand up for them. Tell them they'll have to bully you too, be with them. Write your congressman and tell them you want them to do something about it.

September 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'd like to reiterate (from last night), if you are concerned about the high level of suicide among GLBTQ youth, please lend your support to the TREVOR PROJECT which is the leading organization addressing and providing assistance to this high-risk group.

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Bullying, to include cyber-bullying, needs to certainly be addressed on a national level. Thanks to Anderson and Phil McGraw for addressing this much needed topic.

My heart goes out to the family of the Rutgers college student. Extremely sad...

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Chrissie

When I first heard about this story I was in complete disbelief that a public official would not only be engaging in this ridiculous "political campaign" against a college student, but that his boss would seem so unapologetic. After seeing your interview with the assistant AG I thought that this individual must be held responsible, but as anyone who has played sports knows...you're only as strong as your weakest link...and Andrew Shirvell seems to be a pretty weak link in the Michigan Attorney General's office.

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It was a cruel, cruel joke.

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Emily

@Sue,
    "The story about Tyler Clementi just brought tears to my eyes when I read his notes on the net."
    It's very horrific.

September 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Lori, CA

That is really terrible roommate behavior. I think the solution to bullying is to remove the child from the situation.

September 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Ron from PA

Why is everyone surprised that these kids are bullying other kids who are gay when many of their parents are doing this all the time at rally's, political gatherings and on the air.

September 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Sheila in Tucson

@Rick Reinckens – Thanks for excerpt from the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct! Also, my husband works for the federal government and I would like to point out that the federal job application asks about non-work activities and interests. One would hope that the Asst AG's "non-work" activity – which certainly shows a strong bias – might be used to reevaluate his qualifications for the position.

September 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Sharon Hastings

Another horrific story. It is sickening. This poor student couldn't face his life after this. What is wrong with people!! And his roommate conspired with another student to do this I'm told, so it was really 2 people involved. I hope there are severe consequences for these students.

September 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Lisa in Louisville

This story is so heartbreaking. The roommate and friend should be charged with something a little stronger than invasion of privacy.

September 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Sue R. Canton MI.

It is heartbreaking hearing these stories about severe bullying. The story about Tyler Clementi just brought tears to my eyes when I read his notes on the net. Regardless of the laws,, this is just "WRONG". My heart goes out to his family. Its sad he spent the last week if his life so tormented.

September 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Cessy - Chicago

Cyberbullied/ Rutgers:

What is going on in our world? Shame on these people! These "so called" friends will have to live the rest of their lives carrying a huge amount of guilt. And these are grown people!

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. David O

Thank you for all who reported Mr. Shirvell's blog and had it removed from the public. I am glad to see the lies about Chris Armstrong, myself, and others finally gone!

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. carla

manslaughter.....how cruel people are becoming...it doesn't matter iff he was straight or gay...life is not a peep show

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Shelby

To me these are hate crimes, the bullying & harassment of these boys & the college student. Law enforcement seems to have enough evidence to press charges against all of them & they should.

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Gail Duncan

thks for bringing bullying to light and showing how it can ruin lives.It's about time.

September 30, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Emily

@Kenya,
    Technology, and everything else has people who abuse it! I don't understand why there is not a law to punish those who are abusing this technology.

September 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

It disgusts me and horrifies me that people would do something like tape you while you are in something intimate and private like that. I think the two peopel who did this should be doing jail time too

September 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Rutgers student Tyler C and his family, that is so terrible shocking..... I agree with Anderson says!!!!!

September 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Kenya

Technology, yet with it's many blessings, is one of the bigger social faults of our younger generation. Exhibit A: Cyberbullying.

September 30, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Nina

It breaks my heart when children are in so much emotional pain, they can see no other way but death!

September 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Janis Hewitt

I think that the very first thing that an education system is required to do is to give students an environment that they can learn in. Running a maze of bullys in the school yard and even in college is not condusive to learning. Schools are failing.

September 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "The slippery slope is that if the law starts controlling speech on the Internet..."
    Do you think that it will come to that?
    I wonder if that is why it's taking so long for a law to be put on the books...perhaps people arguing over the 'slippery slope'?

September 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Brenda

@ Jo Ann you are absolutely right but that is all Sarah Palin runs on.

September 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Kevin E

@ Tiffany yes you are right but some states do have their own and that is what I was referring to. Now getting some Prosecutors to actually use federal statutes sometimes is another thing

September 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Connor

University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman (through campus police) has issued a trespassing warning against Assistant Attorney General Andrew Shirvell that prohibits him from entering University campus.

Out of curiosity, is this the first time that a state official has been banned from a university's campus?

September 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Fred

Thank you for being on this. We are shocked when young people take their lives and yet they face hate cloaked in free speech. Yes he should be fired.

September 30, 2010 at 10:35 pm |