September 14th, 2010

Will Tea Party candidates cost GOP control of Senate?: Join the Live Chat

The primary season is careening to a close, complete with alleged death threats, angry voters and overheated political ads. Tonight we’ll bring you live coverage of the final major primary races unfolding today in seven states and the District of Columbia.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The smell of gas on ocean and on land, and then there is an explosion.

September 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "I meant to say that I Don't see Scott Brown as someone who is extreme and I wish that there were more like him."

I agree. I would vote for someone like him no matter what party they belonged to. Evan Bayh was like that.

September 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Libby

That gas explosion in San Bruno, CA is incredibly sad. 😦

September 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly known as vincent

My Mom reminded me that when i was two, we lived that the neighborhood that had the gas explosion.

She said that there were significant gas leak problems in the early 50's....now it is 50 yrs. plus and look what happened.

The Gas utility company HAD to know about this.

September 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Dion

@ Mike of Syracuse:
    Agreed, but Coakley was no Kennedy. It was plain in the reporting on her campaign that she did not like campaigning and going out into the public. The voters pick up on that. Had a stronger Democratic candidate run, it may have well been a different outcome.

September 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

It's so terrible about the gas explosion. We never think about gas lines (or I don't). Out of sight, out of mind.

September 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Sue R. Canton MI.

When I saw these tapes of the gas explosion ,,I can imagine why there was so much mass confusion.

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Libby, "Rangel shouldn't win.. but then again, David Vitter should've never won his nomination either."

I would agree with that. A crook, no matter what party he/she belongs to, is still a crook.

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"I think he or Pawlenty could be good GOP candidates for the presidency."

I agree with that. I think that is another reason that the Tea Party candidates are going to have a harder time come Nov. ~ they are too extreme.

I'll be just as surprised if the "people" re-elect Rangel. (they watch the news)

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  10. David, Indiana

@Emily, thanks I didn't know that Michael Bloomberg endorsed Rep. Rangel. I think members of congress must be held accountable for breaches of ethics but sometimes it seems like someone's career is seriously impacted before any charges are proven.

Interesting pt about difference btwn the local and national media by Eric Erickson.

Excellent panel discussions tonight.

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Sofie

If Paladino can use eminent domain regarding this property, what else can he use it for? It is a bit scary since whethere we agree or disagree with the mosque, eminent domain could filter into many other people's rights too. Best to hope that the Iman will listen to the people.

September 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  12. Anne

Paladino cannot use "eminent domain" to seize the mosque property in NYC and he is deluding himself but nobody else if he thinks he can.

September 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Jay

What kind of legal argument does Carl Paladino have in stopping construction of the mosque through the use of eminent domain?

September 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Janis Hewitt

@Samantha Rowley – Easy, just give them access at their normal polling places. Internet is just like a cell phone call. Yeah, come on world let's do this. Political season is a long drawn out boring, expensive, hot air, and business as usual affair. Make your vote really count!

September 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Samantha Rowley – Nashville, TN
    Oh brother! Political ads using the Wizard of Oz...don't know what to say about that. It would certainly catch my attention.

Samantha,
    Agree yours!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "That is why I didn't think that she had a chance."

There may be exceptions to the rule, but Independents, like me, can't vote in the primaries.

September 14, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Henrik Ostergaard

As a naturalisized American it keep surprising me how low the percentage of registred voters actually vote. I live in Delaware and am very happy that I voted today.
    Henrik.

September 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Libby

Rangel shouldn't win.. but then again, David Vitter should've never won his nomination either. And when Ensign comes up for nomination, he shouldn't win either. All three of them messed up big time!

September 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Robin in SC

After these primary results, it's obvious that Independents will be the deciding factor in November elections. Hopefully reason and reality will prevail. What a circus!

September 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Emily

@Jo Ann,

September 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton MI.

I don't understand how NY Carl Paladino (if he wins) can use the power of eminate domain to sieze the property of the mosque near Ground Zero.

September 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

September 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I do not think that electing even more conservative rep's and sen's will help in DC.

We really need bipartisan people who will work for the good of the country, not to play More politics and get nothing done, again.

I'm not a Pelosi fan,but that commercial ad was a bit over the top.

September 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Political Ads is really so terrible I have seen!!!! Bad idea for ads!

September 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Sharon Hastings, don't confuse fiscal conservatives with social conservatives. The Tea Party are fiscal conservatives.

September 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Chi

😀 haha politics

September 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "The Independents will never vote for her."

That is why I didn't think that she had a chance.
    I thought that when Palin got involved, it sealed her fate; and guaranteed the win for Castle.

September 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

@Janis Hewitt
    I would love to vote via Internet. I so don't like standing in long lines working with (sorry to say) archaic machinery. You'd think in this day and age, we would much more technologically advanced. I guess the question would be how to ensure this availability in rural communities. Love the idea!

September 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "If Rangel wins, it will set new levels of disgust."

You know he will. If he were a Republican there would be an outrage.

September 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

Certainly the issues in the Delaware Senate primary are more varied than Paul Begala is willing to allow.

September 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Di

Good evening Anderson, Politicians stretching the truth in commercials, bet they didn’t count on you keeping them honest:)

September 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

If Rangel wins, it will set new levels of disgust.

September 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Dion

The question about the tea party candidates, will be can they lead once the campaign is over?
    Come January if Congress changes party control, tthe establishment Republicans and tea party partisans will have to govern. I don't think they can do it.

September 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

What is the plan or platform for these new conservatives (besides putting God back in politics)? It's all so general. Do they have convincing alternatives that they are running on?? I don't hear it.

September 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "I see Brown as someone on the extreme..."

Really? Actually he seems quite moderate to me. I think he or Pawlenty could be good GOP candidates for the presidency.

September 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  36. carla

the republicans are losing because they just said no...and they did nothing

September 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Dion, Martha Coakley (Brown's opponent) was uninteresting, but Democrats outnumber Republicans by 4 to 1 in MA. It was an upset helped by the Tea Party.

September 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Mary Lou

Palladino intends to take the site of the mosque by eminent domain? I guess that firms up that I will be voted for Andrew Cuomo!

September 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    "Scott Brown was a longer shot and won in a heavily Democratic state."

I see Brown as someone on the extreme...

September 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "You thought that O'Donnell could win?"

Yes, I was afraid that she would, but I know that a religious extremist cannot win in November. The Independents will never vote for her.

September 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Janis Hewitt

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all cast votes over the internet – I'm sure the technology is already in place to do that – and do away with all the shenanigans and finger pointing, etc. Wonder what the world would be like with real time voting instead of representation. Just don't know how bill creation would work.

September 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Shane, Las Vegas

September 14th, 2010 10:31 pm ET

Delaware exit poll fact! AP and other networks have now reported that in exit polls 44% of Republican voters in Delaware say they will support the Democratic candidate over ODonnell if she wins! That means the Dems win the seat 100% for sure.

September 14, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "I wouldn't count out Tea Party long-shot candidates too soon. Scott Brown was a longer shot and won in a heavily Democratic state."

Scott Brown is not an extremist like O'Donnell and others supported by the Tea Party. They are making a huge mistake.

September 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Libby

Mike formerly from Syracuse: Scott Brown is probably the last moderate candidate the Republicans will have ever elected the way it's going. He'll probably run as a Democrat when his re-election comes up; especially if a Kennedy jumps in the race. :O)

September 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Grant V, Troy, MI

My hats off to delaware. This is a huge break for the Tea Party and an even bigger break for the democrats. I hope the republicans in delaware enjoy this night because come the GE they will be sorry...

September 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Jim

The Message to Incumbents is Clear- YOUR FIRED!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Dion

Scott Brown had the advantage of running against a weak and uninteresting Democratic candidate in Massachusetts.

September 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Elliott R

An awful lot of old time political pros have underestimated the Tea Party Movement to their own peril.

September 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

i just voted for the first time in NH tonight. There is an interesting dynamic here. People in NH don't want to be told what to do. 'Live Free or Die' is taken seriously.

September 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "I was afraid this was going to happen."
    You thought that O'Donnell could win? I really didn't think she had a chance! Naive me. 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |