September 13th, 2010

Has former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gone too far?: Join the Live Chat

Has former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gone too far? Comments he made this past weekend about President Obama have some of his fellow conservatives crying foul. Among other things, Gingrich accused Obama of having a “Kenyan, anti-colonial” agenda and worldview.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chi

The gas explosion is terrible 😦

September 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

I don't necessarily think it's a question of right or wrong with the mosque issue. Michael Moore is technically right. But I'm inclined to allow some respect for other's views in this case and to therefore support a compromise if that's possible.

September 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@MSue R. Canton MI., "I'm trying to understand his reasoning behind it,,but he seems to be adding fuel to the fire.

Moore is just trying to stir up controversy to get publicity. He isn't any better than Gingrich.

September 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  4. dave

If Republicans are not the party of the RICH, why are all the RICH Republicans?

And when are the Republicans going to tell us what they are going to do for the middle class?

And....We are not buying the "trickle-Down BS!

September 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Emily

Those Before & After images from Google Earth were shocking!

September 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Great breakdown of the complexities of Boehner's position on the jobs legislation and the I believed proposed tax on mulitinational companies. I don't quite understand that tax.

September 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karin – Germany

I agree with you about Isha. I still miss Erica too.

Isha does seem to be the first newsperson since Erica that does make him laugh and i like the interaction between them.

I guess we'll see if she's permanent soon enough.

September 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Micheal Moore is definitely in the minority. 68% oppose the mosque location. Are 68% of Americans Islamaphobes? I think not.

September 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Brian Sayles

Gingrich has gone too far too many times. Slow the slamming of everyone. We all need to take a deep breath, re-group, and focus on what America is really about. "Give me your hungry, give me your poor.."

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Kaytee

Are male reporters allowed in women's locker rooms? If not, women should NOT be allowed in men's locker rooms. Why can't ALL reporters wait outside of the locker room until the athlete is appropriately dressed? If its okay for a woman to interview a half naked man in the locker room, then I say men grab a mike and a ca...mera and head for the women's locker room!! Fair is fair.

September 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Peter Dobosz

Newt Gingrich is not only working to add fuel to the GOP's campaign efforts for November by resorting to these tactics but could he also be trying to pull focus away from the Minority Leader and his comments over the weekend? Just a thought...

September 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Sue R. Canton MI.

I disagree with Michael Moore on the building of the Mosque at Ground Zero I'm trying to understand his reasoning behind it,,but he seems to be adding fuel to the fire. I don't believe the people who don't want to see it built in this area are bigot's.

September 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Emily

How could the Imam not know that this was going to happen?

September 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Karen, MN

Good to see Michael Moore.

September 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. carla

martin l king should not be compared to 911 in no way or fashion....really mike?

September 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Sofie

There is an interfaith centre in the Pentagon dedicated on 9/11/02 for all faiths, including Islam. Today, MSNBC reported there was a mosque and another praying area in each tower at the WTC before 9/11. They say the second area was near the stairwell and that is where a lot of Muslims died. Does anyone know if this is accurate info? Thoughts?

September 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Steve

Gingrich should be the last person to discuss honesty. Allegedly, his first wife was prompted by Gingrich to sign divorce papers while still recovering from surgery. Incidentally, wasn't he reported to be the recipient of oral sex by A.M. who was married at the time?

Furthermore, should we forget the 20+ checks he bounced during the House banking scandal in '92, the secret House pay raise he voted for, GOPAC, the 1995 book scandal, or the 1984 book deal in which his congressional district office equipment was used to put together the manuscript; office equipment that was paid for by taxpayers! Some of us DO REMEMBER Gingrich!!

September 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Peggy

Newt obviously decided to sell his soul to Satan regarding this one. Don't know who the highest bidder was, but whoever it was they purchased him lock, stock and barrel. Judas didn't enjoy his 30 pieces of silver and I don't think Newt will enjoy his either.

September 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What Moore is failing to mention is that these 19 murderers were never condemned and still have not been condemned by Muslim leaders.

September 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Stan

Gingrich never seems to get enough. All I say is: Remember his words about President Clinton. Newts mouth forced him into the background for throwing stones, while living in a glass house.

September 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  21. barry

really sad for the republican party that they continue to make these crazy statements and expect and normal citizen to want to belong to their party.....these types of comments cement my support for the dems....

September 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Valorie, TN

Why is it that no mention is made that there were TWO mosques located inside the Twin Towers? There were two mosques located there for the Muslim workers to use.

September 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. carla

the republicans are acting like certain nationalities are not american...and also those people whom drink tea.....so they should tell us all in america whose religion is and american religion and who is and american....i want to know...since we all came over here on a boat with the exception of the indians...the true native americans

September 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Chris

Gingrich is out of touch and i know he is better than the comments he's made.

September 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Islam is not a race.

September 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Dave

@Sharon: I agree. Isha is real keeper, both funny & intelligent.
    @Anderson: I know the SNL sketch you referred to well. I believe Amy Poheler played a pregnant woman who gave birth while cheering in the Oprah audience.

September 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Whew fast moving discussion with Paul Begala and Alex Castellanos. Is it possible Congressman Boehner as the house minority leader is coming around to or working toward a bargaining position? I was reading that there are conservative democrats who want to extend all the Bush tax cuts on a temporary basis.

September 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Why can't stay all post $500,000 dollars? That does make any kind of sense. If one is sick, they all are sick.

September 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. isabel

anderson,
    what about challenging lies as they are spoken? otherwise, the false inunendo is left floating around, polluting minds and hearts!

September 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Lisa in Louisville

Tax incentives for the "more productive?" I resent that statement. I work my tail off and will never see $250,000/year – I won't see that much in 5 years! I can't afford more taxes. I admit that my career choice was mine -I knew I'd never make a lot of money working for a non-profit. That doesn't mean I should be penalized for being a lower income, productive, citizen.

September 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Heather - Spokane, WA

Thst story about the 12yr old is sad. That is why sites like craigslist needs to stop posting sex ads

September 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Chi

@Gloria "It's nothing wrong with being rich just help a person down on his fortune once in a while
    " -> Must agree with you totally

September 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Sharon Hastings

I really like Isha. I hope she's a keeper.

September 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I love to see Isha Sesay on the show! She seems to be the only one since Erica Hill left (I still miss her) who gets AC to smile or even laugh.
    Does she work double shifts? I saw her anchoring the “International Desk” twelve hours ago!

September 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Emily

Hurricane Igor really picked up fast.

September 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Sue R. Canton MI.

Re: Political Theater/John Boehner ad,,,I have to say there are some valid points made in this ad.

September 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Rebekah

Just trying to make an important point!

September 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. cicly

hello everyone. good pannel, as usual.

September 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. carla

the republicans spent alot of money when bush was president the democrats spend money now that obama is president...you know why....america is expensive to run....it's not cheap being great

September 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Jessica

Oppose the spending not the jobs? So as long as the teachers and firefighters work for free, we'll be alright.

September 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. CateL

It's nice for Alex Castellanos to sit there as an Italian American who didn't live through the era when Italians were NOT welcomed in this country.

My husband and I once considered ourselves Republicans because of the more favorable laws towards business owners. Now, I view the Republicans as a group of privileged or "wannabe" privileged who are racists at their core. I am too ashamed to ever admit we ever identified ourselves as Republicans.

September 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy, thanks for your comment, obviously i agree with you.

September 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Chi

😀 thank you for the laugh 😀

September 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Catherine La Mirada,CA

This primary season last forever. I can't wait until November. The local airwaves are full of millionaires trying to buy offices in CA.

September 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. AR Falvo

This is the first time I have had some real respect for Fromm! He actually sounded good like Peggy Noonan! Keep it up, David!

September 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Kameron, Cincinnati

I agree Mike.
    You cant penalize the rich or their wont be any new jobs.
    1 flat rate for taxes and everyone should pay the same percentage.

September 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Chi

@Jake "I love politics! It makes me feel close to God!" –> meaning, pls! 😀 Sounds too religious

September 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. AR Falvo

Is castellano for real! We are not duped! The rich trickle down mentality did not work under Reagan and it will work even less now! Just give the tax cuts to the middle class and penalize the rich for shipping jobs overseas!

September 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Mike, it used to be (i'm an older person), that when the election was over, we, as a country, would give whoever won a chance to change our mind, or at least see what they could do that would be good for the country.

Today it seems that immediately following an election, the "other side" goes into overdrive for the next election, instead of trying to work together to better the country, despite their affiliation.

The "other side" would be better served by showing the country what and how they could make the country better if they actually tried to work with each other.

September 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

The rich don't want to pay what the poor has to pay is how this is going

September 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |