September 13th, 2010

Has former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gone too far?: Join the Live Chat

Has former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gone too far? Comments he made this past weekend about President Obama have some of his fellow conservatives crying foul. Among other things, Gingrich accused Obama of having a “Kenyan, anti-colonial” agenda and worldview.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Catherine La Mirada,CA

Good Evening to all,

Anderson mentioned that Newt Gringrich behaves socially awkward like someone with Asperager's but they are honest and rational. Newt is just embracing nonsense to disparage the President. And he will be President for at least 2 more years despite others trying to disparage him.

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Shane

I do not understand why it is allowed, by the major party establishments, to have these fringe crazies (Gingrich being a prime example)represent them through their view expressions on national media. For any moderates out there, there needs to be a more medium of a solution. I am tired of crazies on the left and right relegating the middle to silence. It is time moderates on the right and left, join in disallowing this crazy talk and come together to solve real problems with logical solutions.

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Ashok

Another wedge issue to keep the lunatic base happy

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Jane - Vt

Newt is running for President. Don't think he's going to get the nomination.

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Dan

Newt is a great American. What can you say about any of the folks in the WH today? Not much.

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. I agree starr...it was a lost cause from day one, that certain people would ever even give the man an ear, much less a chance. I think inflammatory language gets to me more the older I get!! I just shake my head and wonder how old these people are...emotional age, that is!

September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Eric Walker, Miami FL, "I can only say WOW afer watching this discussion. The fact that people want to win elections by causing division, rather than making this Country better."

Elections are always about division and race is an easy card to play.

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  8. mohsin virani

newt gingrich has lost it!!

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

Gingrich is just another one of those people who crave the spotlight that just needs to go away

@Gael, good statement 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Jake

I think Anthony Weiner is fantastic politician! He said what Obama should have done! Politicians do not comment on religion in this country!

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Lisa

Yes.. this was much much too far.

I can't imagine anyone taking him seriously after this.

It's ridiculous.

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Troy Kendal

Is he for real?

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Starr, why would Pres. Obama have a chance with Reps or conservatives when he campaigned on a liberal agenda?

September 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Chi

hmmm Mr Gingrich seems to be unreasonable 😦 !

September 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The former White House Speaker needs to find a pole and go fishing. We got someone to do the job in the White House for America people.

September 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Jason

Why is this surprising. The southern strategy is alive and well. It's never gone away folks.

September 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Jake

What scares me is that 60-70 percent of Americans are part of the tin foil hat crowd!

September 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Emily

Funny, Gael.

September 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Jake

President Obama is American, I don't understand why peple dont think he is! As far as I know, he is as American as Newt Gingrinch!Where is Newts birth certificate!

September 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Eric Walker, Miami FL

I can only say WOW afer watching this discussion. The fact that people want to win elections by causing division, rather than making this Country better. The News Media should be talking about this allday. Enough is Enough of the race baiting

September 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Kenya

All I can say is here we go again. A conman. Kenyan anti-colonialism. Please they'll come up with anything to say about President Obama. What next?

September 13, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think some people have gone to far on their analysis of President Obama.

September 13, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Emily

That's a great way to put it!
    "the tin foil hat crowd" ~ I guess there's a lot in that crowd.

September 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Heather-Sokane

I agree with your post, i don't take Mr. Gingrich very seriously either and appreciate the remainder of your post.

Pres. Obama seems to have never to have had a chance with Any Rep or conservative from the minute he was elected.

I remain astounded at the birthers and the plethera of accusations, labels and stories that have been attached to this President.

September 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Vickie

Just another attempt to make Obama seem less American.

September 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Karen, MN

I think Newt Gingrich has gone too far.

September 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Tays Nana

In America, it's never "out of bounds" to speak your mind. But, that doesn't mean that mean-spirited slander about our elected President is in good taste! We can all make up our own minds about the motives, manners and reputation of Mr. Gingrich.

September 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Gael

Disgraceful diatribe showing not only disrespect for our President but also the office. What should you expect from a man who has had to live with the name Newt?

September 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Former White House Speaker, the President won on the basic that your party was not doing the job right for America people.

September 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"Gingrich and Moore two publicity hounds stirring up even more trouble."

I agree, and I don't think that they are adding really adding either. (other than putting that spotlight on themselves)

September 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Eric Walker, Miami FL

Why is anybody surprised about what Newt has to say. The News Media ran for the HILLS when Bush and the Republican party said it was Un-American togo against him when they wanted togo to war. Now they call the first African American President everything but what he has earned. Hes a Muslim, Socialist,Communist, hates America. What are Republicans going to do for America?

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Catherine La Mirada,CA

Happy Monday evening to all. I can't say I'm shocked by Newt Gringrich's latest slam on Obama and his heritage. His statement makes no sense. Like it was stated earlier, Obama studied the Constitution and swore to uphold the Constitution. America's founding is based on rejecting colonialism.

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think this Gingrich business is a big much ado about nothing.

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Chi

Good evening AC and AC360 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson and Bloggers,

Ready or not it's Monday:)

September 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. "Kenyan" relates back to those "birthers" and their issues but basically it's politics for Newt.

September 13, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Emily

"Has former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gone too far?" YES!
    Gingrich seems to be calling all the Americans "stupid" for voting for Obama (those who did), and I don't see how he expects to get any of those on his side. (centrists, or the respect of others)

September 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Carmella

Oh Well, I was going to give Gingrich a chance for my vote in 2012. That's out the door.

September 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I guess Newt doesn't play well with others.

September 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The former White Speaker is not showing how wise he might be now.

September 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

I don't take Gingrich seriously, mainly because back when he was the house speaker he would say almost anything and try to do anything to get attention and he still does it now. He wants to be president, it's obvious, but no one takes him seriously enough for him to be nominated

September 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360, looking forward to a great show as always...

Hi David, Isabel, Nichole, Megan,Emily, Nancy, Mike, Casey, Jo Ann, OH, Sree, everyone

I hope everyone had a great weekend too.

September 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gingrich and Moore two publicity hounds stirring up even more trouble.

September 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to tonights show.

September 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, Starr, & Bloggers!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend.

September 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Vesley

Good Evening Mr. Anderson Cooper!

September 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Hi everyone,
    I look forward to the show tonight and I am glad to join the chat again. Last week the shows
    were so packed with news and discussions that it was simply too much to ask of me to watch the show, follow the chat and join in to it.

September 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a good weekend. Sounds like an interesting program tonight.
    I think the Republicans need a new voice rather than just an anti-Obama approach to everything.

September 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

September 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone, hope your weekend was good

September 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm |