August 24th, 2010

Tracking Key Primary Races: Join the Live Chat

Sen. John McCain spent $20 million dollars in his fight against conservative talk show host J.D. Hayworth. Will that be enough to win McCain a fifth term? We'll have the primary results in that race and many others across the U.S. tonight on 360°.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori, CA

Good night everyone! Sweet dreams.

August 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Nina

Good Evening John Roberts ((Great show)) 360 Team Megan, Michael, Nancy and other bloggers

August 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Kenya

Goodnight bloggers. Goodnight John Roberts, Team 360, Megan, moderators, Mr. Cooper.

August 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

Have a good night all

August 24, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Dion

Is there a strong Democratic candidate in Arizona? I have not kept up with that race. The last Democrats I remember from Arizona were DeConcini and Mo Udall

August 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

I thought the term maverick was a bad thing? That is at least what I learned when I was in school

August 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good 'ol Webster's Dictionary says "maverick" is defined as political independent. Hmmm...still confusing to me as his opinions have changed over the years. With these changes, he's having to fight tonight to stay in this.

Great discussion everyone. Hope everyone has a great evening! Thanks John for filling in for Anderson.

August 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night John Roberts(Anderson), Megan, Joe, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Thanks for coming in, for join us tonight! 🙂
    Bloggers,
    Don't forget watch Anderson special Katrina 5 yrs anniversary tomorrow night............
    John Roberts,
    Good job tonight!

August 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Nina

I am sure he ended the "Maverick" idea as he is afraid he will be put to pasture!

August 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It seems every time Democrats control Congress and the Presidency, the public realizes that they can't govern very quickly and correct the situation by electing Republicans.

August 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Kenya

I find it so hilarious how people go on camera proudly saying one thing and later they come back and say.."who me?? No! I'm no Maverick..never said I was" lol. Yes you did, sir.

August 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Jillian

Anxiously awaiting the results from the Democrat Primary for
    Senate in Arizona – which one of our 4 candidates will finally send McCain home???

August 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

John McCain's war cry was the he was a maverick, and now he is saying that he never called himself one??? right.............

August 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Sharon Hastings

Well, I guess the Maverick thing didn't work too well for McCain. But it's laughingly ridiculous for him to deny that now. Does he think we're all idiots??

August 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Dion

McCain is not so "mavericky" now.Seems he is more tea party.

August 24, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Dion

Rather ironic that Republican is Red. As in deficit spending, as in a deficit of ideas.

August 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Nina

Newt Gingrich and Bill McCollum seem to have much in common

August 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

It was enlightening to hear Ms Sherrod talk about her work with Mr Spooner, enightening as to dept of agriculture policy, financing for farmers. It is ashame that she is leaving at this pt the dept of agriculture. Reassuring to learn that she was offered a choice of the new job or her orignal job, director of rural development in GA. That is a move in a more conciliatory direction.

August 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

Rick Scott just came out of nowhere. He lives in my town and I never heard of him prior to his running. Yes, he is wealthy and conservative but I think he has some skeletons in his closet that he will have to explain.

August 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Red states, blue states...now, purple states?! Interesting observation...

August 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Nancy in Oregon

I hope so, Michael Armstrong Sr. One part of me sees that, while another part of me distrusts her. It's of no consequence, though...only a feeling I have.

August 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Nina

Nancy... it would be difficult to work for an employer if you plan to sue them 🙂

August 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Dion

Never really cared for McCollum when he was in Congress. He was part of the Gingrich/Delay cabal.

August 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ Nancy in Oregon Thats whats so great about Shirley she's unpredictable with lot's of class .

August 24, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Dion

It is a shame that someone in the administration had a knee jerk reaction in reacting to Fox News and Briebart on the Sherrod story.
    the decision to let her go happened way to fast it seems. This was disappointing.

August 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, Nina. I doubt she can, honestly, but I get a feeling that there's something else going on in her. I don't know what. I don't quite get her or 'read' her, somehow. Just don't think it's all plain and simple somehow.

August 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Kathryn

Understanding that no one really cares, but another mention should be on the Vermont governor's race – three-way ties don't happen that often.

August 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

I would sure Brietbart. He caused her all of this trouble and got her fired from her job. He claims it was not against her when clearly it was or else he wouldn't have shown the video of her. I say sick him Shirley! I have no doubt she would win the defirmation lawsuit!

August 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

The on-screen title said Sherrod v. Breitbart..think she's still thinking of a lawsuit against him?

August 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Nina

Nancy.. good evening. How could Shirley Sherrod trust the agency after what they did?

August 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Kenya

Godspeed to Ms. Shirley in her decision and her future. Her compassion can be of greater substance elsewhere.

August 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Lori, CA

Not an easy situation.

August 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@Dion – Dont forget Chris Christie! The current governor of New Jersey!

He can definitely be the star from the republican side.

Chris has been doing great things in NJ and he gets bi-partisan support, just that easy!

August 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. I can't quite figure out Shirley Sherrod now.

August 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

I don't blame Shirley Sherrod for rejecting the offer of employment. Can you imagine what she has been through? That was a pretty traumatic experience and you can tell that it has left her with a bitter taste. The whole thing stunk.

August 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Lori, CA

Great question John. I am sure it would be hard for Shirley to work there even though the needs of the community are great.

August 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |