August 23rd, 2010

Who is Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf: Join the Live Chat

Video clips posted today by a conservative blogger have set off a new round of bitter debate over the Islamic community center and mosque planned near Ground Zero. Are the clips part of a smear campaign or do the imam’s critics have legitimate concerns? Plus Congress has begun investigating one of the largest egg recalls in recent U.S. history. Author Michael Pollan joins us as we dig deeper.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nancy in Oregon

I too appreciate follow ups like that, Emily. So often we never hear what became of something.

August 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Emily

@Janis Hewitt,

"Any body in the world can you help these poor men? Talk about nerves of steel. These men and their families guys take a world class medal."

I agree!
    It would be wonderful if those miners could be rescued alive, ASAP..

August 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Boy, stay away from highway 281 in Texas. Also, this is not the first story I think I've heard about this kind of thing–don't know if the first story was from Texas. I bet his attorney told him to stop talking.

August 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just beacuse you have a large amount of money on you, it doesn't mean you are money laundering. You need very detailed evidence for laundering. Looks like some deputies need to go back through schooling on what certain crimes are and what they detail.......

August 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yup Betty Ann, I agree.. it is so out of control!! YIKES!

August 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Sue R. ,,Canton Mi

Most everything that we eat is so mass produced, With all the hormones and antibiotics they have to use,it's no wonder theres such an increase in weight,and illnesses.in people.

August 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  7. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

That's Texas, huh? This state is out of control. Believe me!

August 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Emily

I remember the story of Joe Frank Garza....

Glad that AC360 has the update.

August 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Kenya

Signing off. Great show today. Goodnight/morning bloggers, Dr. G., Team 360, Megan, moderators, Mr. Cooper. Take it easy.

August 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

BettyAnn, I subscribe to that in many things: an unhappy thing is an unhealthy thing, potentially leading to big trouble.

August 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Jill

Factory farming is cruel and should be bannedl. I find its no more expensive to buy organic produced eggs or milk. At least the poor chicken can roam and do chicken things!! We may eat animals but let's treat them with some respect.

August 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Emily

I can't believe that these kinds of 'Farms' are still able to stay in business.

I thought that the Gov. had really put an end to all of that sometime ago.
    There was to be no tolerance for that.

August 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

@Emily Given Mr. Rauf's interfaith work the mosque is probably widely viewed as reaching out and support for redevelopment in the area around ground zero.

It is an emotional issue, but looking to the future, I think adhering to the principle of free exercise of religion best protects each persons right to practice their faith. New York City is such a diverse thriving city. Seems like the building of a mosque fits into the landscape.

August 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty Ann, Nancy in Oregon
    Good point guys!!!!!!!

August 23, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Nina

I have never seen any consumed animal treated properly. Its the reason I eat veggies...

August 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

Oh really, Heather? I don't remember seeing eggs at ours....but will ask. Thank you.

August 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Michael Armstrong Sr.

This is inhumane treatment to animals if the human society were doing its job this would not be an issue .

August 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Nancy in Oregon

I think it is kind of an 'old story', Sharon Hastings. I too treat it carefully....usually! Made the mistake a couple months ago of bringing leftover Almond Chicken home from lunch out but not getting it into the refrigerator quickly enough. Oh boy...phew!

August 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Unhappy chickens are unhealthy chickens. You want to eat a sick chicken?

August 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Nancy, you can go through any local farmers markets in your area and some of them sell fresh farm eggs and they take better care of their chickens than these 'factories' do

August 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Any states... please check eggs if there is recalled, please throw away or return back to store...... My hometown had recall, too..... you need wash your hands before you uncook raw..... Be careful....... Warning: There is Salmonella is very serious thing.

August 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Sharon Hastings

Isn't eggs and salmonella an old and ongoing story?? I always consider eggs or chickens as potentially contaminated and handle them carefully and cook completely. It is good, though, to consider the safety of what we eat and what we can do to improve it.

August 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Nina. It isn't just what the chickens eat, it's how they live.

August 23, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad Im a vegetarian, I don't allow these places to take my money and treat animals like this

August 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Sue R. ,,Canton Mi

ugh,, you see the way these chickens are being raised and it makes me sick. I buy my eggs from cage free and,vegetarian fed chickens.It still make me wonder are they safe,because there still mass produced.

August 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I've wondered about getting laying hens....but can't take on the extra responsibility! Are there 'good' chicken farms?

August 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Heather - Spokane, WA

The video reminded the of the KFC video that came out a bit ago. I think places like that need to be closed down

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Arman

@chris
    you talk about beauty of freedom but in same time talk against it in the next sentence.

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Emily...Follow the Money

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Nina

The way we treat all animals we consume is terrible and sickening!

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Good for you for keeping the chicken industry honest. I have been trying to do that for years. Good job! Thanks! 🙂

August 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

This is why I buy organics

August 23, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather,
    I think might collasped into cave I have heard that cause collasped something...... I am sure.

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Buy Organic

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

The majority of the 8 billion Muslims in the world are loving and peaceful. Allowing the mosque to be built in NYC will show those nations that Americans do not hate them and we cherish the Amendments and Rights written in our U.S. Constitution!

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

Those poor animals.

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Emily

After seeing that awful video, how was this "Farm" able to remain open?

August 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Janis Hewitt

Good evening everyone. I'd like to change the subject and wish that Muslims, Christians, Jews, atheists, etc. could get their heads together and figure out how to help Chile get their miners out of the ground in less time. Any body in the world can you help these poor men? Talk about nerves of steel. These men and their families guys take a world class medal.

August 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

I can't imagine the psychological challenge of being trapped like those miners.

August 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. vic , nashville tn

About mosque world is watching us

August 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Emily

How did this happen? How did the Gov. miss this?

August 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Humza Qureshi

A true American recognizes the authority of the Constitution, including the freedom of religion. Everything else is background noise. You either believe in freedom, or you don't.

August 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. Late arriving here, but I've been listening to the show (while trying to brainstorm a gate that will keep the bear out!) I cannot believe Van Der Sloop could wiggle out of this situation.

August 23, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Sara

I keep hearing people say that the Imam should move the location of the Islamic Center– but when does this bullying stop? What is far enough? If it was one more block away, would that make this whole thing go away? That is not the real issue. The real issue is blaming Muslims for 9/11.

August 23, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

State appointed attorney or not, that confession is good!

August 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Dianne Nodwell

Dear Sanchez, I am a Canadian. I think if the Iman is trying to build bridges, he should Respect the wishes of the relatives of 9/11. Imagine the horror and terror these people went throught. HOW CAN THEY FORGET.GOD HELP US ALL.....Dianne

August 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I can hardly imagine how these trappped miners can survive months!

August 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Are you kidding me Levi would run for mayor in Alaska???? Oh no!!!

August 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

How did the miners get stuck? At least they have food and water and are still alive!

August 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Emily

throwing out the confession of Van Der Sloot...wow.

August 23, 2010 at 10:33 pm |