August 23rd, 2010

Who is Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf: Join the Live Chat

Video clips posted today by a conservative blogger have set off a new round of bitter debate over the Islamic community center and mosque planned near Ground Zero. Are the clips part of a smear campaign or do the imam’s critics have legitimate concerns? Plus Congress has begun investigating one of the largest egg recalls in recent U.S. history. Author Michael Pollan joins us as we dig deeper.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David, Indiana

Good evening Dr. Gupta, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole everyone.

Sorry to be a bit late. Rep. Paul has a pt. The discussion of the mosque community center is not to begin with a sideshow but aspects f the discussion have moved it in the direction.

August 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  2. enala

Its not all muslim are bad,just because of bad experiences that this country had with muslims then it shouldn't condemn all muslim, this country itself has muslim citizens who love this country.building a mosque close to ground zero doesn't mean anything. We need to stop discriminating and judging muslims!let muslims in this country be free

August 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Michael Armstrong Sr.

This Mosque is another attack on American unity this was done to cause trouble by the Iman.

August 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Lauren

Obviously under U.S. law, they have the right to build the mosque wherever they want. As an American I am proud we have instituted laws that protect peoples of different religions. And personally, I have several good friends who are moslem, and I certainly don't hold them responsible in anyway for 9-11. Having said all that, I still think it is disrespectful of them to build a mosque so close to Ground Zero. Is that an emotional response? You bet. So be it.

August 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Sue R. ,,Canton Mi

It seems to me that the issues of this mosque are starting to become more and more political then personal.

August 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Ric

I appreciate Ron Paul's comments but would have like to seen him defend the Constitution as well as property rights.

August 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Chris

Ron Paul said it right. I don't care if it is built or not. It isn't any of my business, and I wouldn't want anyone to get into my business.

August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Emily

Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    "Timothy McVeigh didn't commit his act out of religious fervor; the 9/11 terrorists did."

Exactly! that's why this has happened in the past, as Ron Paul just stated in his remarks re. other religions. this is not the first time – I hope that more Muslims will speak out against the mosque being built there.

August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather,
    Good point, You are absolutely right!

Bloggers,
    she is absolutely right about that, Please don't blame on Religion, just blame that person

August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Casey Jones, the threat to our Constitution comes from those who would destroy our way of life, not the families of 9/11 victims. They don't deserve this poke in the eye. The Constitution is just as safe if the mosque is moved a few blocks.

August 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Fran

Ron Paul makes many good points. Worth listening to.

August 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why do people allow fear to rule their lives?

August 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Sue R. ,,Canton Mi

Good evening everyone. Looking forward to tonights show.

Great to see you this evening Dr. Sanjay Gupta. I hope Anderson is enjoying a nice vacation.

August 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Kayteee

Terrorist win when we allow them to dictate our constitutional rights!

August 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Sharon Hashings, compassion is an emotion. The Muslims should show some.

August 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Emily

Foreign Policy is another issue... if this mosque were to be moved a couple of blocks, there would be no issue.

August 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  17. teresa, ohio

does anyone know how long the site has been planned for building the mosque there?

if it was before 911, i could see them wanting to continue with their plans

if it came after, it's questionable.

August 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Kayteee

To paint a whole religion with the same brush of the exetremists is just narrow minded. The KKK were Christians and they did all of their violence in the name of Christianity. The abortion doctor killers kill in the name of Christianity. Come on, this is just common sense!

August 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I seldom agree with Republicans, but tonight I agree with Ron Raul.

August 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "The mosque that is already in that area has been there for about 40yrs..."

This new mosque would be built as a direct insult to the victims of 9/11 and to the American people. They are testing us.

August 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Yes, I agree with you, Jo Ann!

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  23. beth

I think it's ridiculous to say that it's a victory for the terrorist to build an Islamic center. It's only a victory for the terrorists if we are so caught up in fear that we are ready to trample another citizen's rights. I am not ready to give up my rights, so sometimes I have to tolerate things I don't necessarily like....such is the American way.

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

Don't blame the religion, blame the person

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

Ron Paul uses great logic and the truth is that while I can see all sides I also see that emotion is playing a much greater part than logic. Once a person adopts an extreme stance on something, it's very hard to move them off of that even with perfect logic.

August 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"Building that mosque two blocks from the WTC site would be a victory for the terrorists that committed the crime."

Building the mosque would be a victory for our Constitution. I don't care about the terrorists–why must we let terrorists dictate how we think and react? Stop the knee-jerking.

August 23, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    I agree with you.

The mosque that is already in that area has been there for about 40yrs...

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Krissy

If this Imam was a peaceful man and truly wanted peace, he would build this mosque somewhere else.

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Sara

It's great to have a Republican explaining his point of view on the rights of Muslim-Americans to practice their religion and build an Islamic Center near Ground Zero.

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sharon,'
    I agree with your comment, Good point there.

August 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Kenya

Ron Paul has some very good points.

August 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Judah Osagie

I don't think that building an Islamic center near ground zero is a sensitive move. There are a thousand other places to build that Islamic center.

August 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There are over 100 mosques in NY. No one objects to them. Move this one, and no one will object to it either.

August 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No one disputes the Constitutional right to build the mosque. The issue is respect for the victims and their families. Moving the mosque a few blocks would show the Muslims are serious about reaching out.

August 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. FRANCO SPADAFORA

is the u.s not the land of the free and the home of the brave is there anyway americans find a way to solve this issue with honour grace and respect for both sides come on america you are way better then thatand i see that even though i am not american

August 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Emily

The motives of Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf seem very suspicious....

This is interesting hearing Ron Paul ... not everyone is blaming the Muslim Community – in fact, I'd say that the majority are not. I think some sensitive needs to be shown.

August 23, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

August 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy, I don't believe that man what he has to say!!!! (Iman Feisal Abdul Rauf)

August 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Michael Armstrong Sr.

The one thing that i have noticed is the Muslims clamming that it was'nt the Muslims who attacked us on 9-11 they say it was Osama and the Taliban I dont get it are they not Muslim's .

August 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I haven't heard anything I find offensive, yet.

August 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. john pender

Allowing the Mosque to be built reaffirms who we are as Americans. I'm Catholic.

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Sharon, Im with you, there are way more important things that need our attention than the ongoing senseless arguments that have been plaguing our news

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Kayteee

I'm with you Sharon Hastings!

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Catherine La Mirada,CA

Good evening. I know August is a slow news month but the smear tactics against the Islamic center is ridiculous. People are so desperate to stop the rights of others.

August 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Emily

looking forward to hearing what Dr. Gupta has to say about the investigating into the egg recall; the medical effects....

August 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Sanjay and everyone. Hope Anderson is having a great vacation. I must say I'm pretty tired of hearing about the mosque in New York and also the President being a Muslim. But I know it's news so I'll hang in.

August 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Kenya

Good evening everyone, Dr. G, Mr. Cooper. Hope you are all well.

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Sanjay, (Anderson,) Megan, Joe, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Emily

Good evening Dr. Gupta, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, & Bloggers!

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening everyone, hope your weekend was good!

August 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm |