August 19th, 2010

Pres. Obama's Faith Questioned: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, what as many as one-in-four Americans believe about the President of the United States, that simply isn't so. That Pres. Obama is a Muslim. We're keeping them honest. Plus, meet the woman who called Dr. Laura and heard the n-word 11 times.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kenya

Man, that bull just about had it. See that's why I will never opt for front row seats to some events.
    Have a nice weekend everyone, Team 360, Megan, moderators. John Roberts (well done filling in). And Mr. Cooper. (hope to see you Monday! please!)
    *New Orleans still rising*

August 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm amazed at all these rogue internet pharmacies. Not suprised,,,just amazed at how they get away with it. It seems like the Feds will never be able to keep up with all the illegal activity thats happening on the net. Sad situation.

August 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. molly

This pharmacy situation is strange. I got 3 e-mails about a week ago offering me all kinds of drugs. Each e-mail had a different address.

August 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!! That's shocking!!!!!! Good job Drew!

August 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Emily

That's a great report by David Mattingly.

August 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Janis Hewitt

Prescription drug abuse is a big problem. It's so easy for people to rationalize taking Rx's for the wrong reasons because a doctor gave it to them first. I know several people that have a problem and they don't think they do.

August 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

I hope you are wrong, Shawn, about a lawsuit brewing.

August 19, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

I do think Dr. Laura was addressing the question Nita Hanson as Jade was bringing up, but she was dismissive. And I agree that she was angry. Though I get the impression Dr. Laura was angry in relation to other issues and not so much directly at the woman calling her. That's sort of a fine point, but it seems that way to me because Dr. Laura didn't so much get into the personal aspects of the question. I do think Dr. Laura sincerely apologized and that's clearer tonight with the longer piece of the intvw with her that you're showing. I do agree with Nita Hanson's pt that we need to start respecting eachother and communicating.

August 19, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. TONY HOPKINS

As a Kiwi I used to love and admire the USA as a bastion of freedom and goodwill. Nowadays I am very disturbed at the politics of hate and lies I see being used in attempts to discredit President Obama. He says he is a Christian but a large percentage don't believe him. How tragic that Americans think their President lies. How tragic and awful that this great society is descending into "Anything goes" as long as he is removed from power.
    I am so sad that the country that leads the free world is tearing itself apart with hate and party politics that will do and say anything to gain power.

August 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  10. marie

The part of Dr. L's rant wasn't the context of how she was using the word, rather the fact that she told Mrs. Hanson not marry out side of her race if she was so sensitive and had no sense of humor.

August 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Libby

Mike@formerly Syracuse- She is not a comedian. She's reportedly a dr. whose listeners counted on her for advice. What she did was racist and wrong.

August 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

But Mike, "two wrongs don't make a right." And if she hates it so much when others say it and she feels uncomfortable with the word, why did she let loose with it so much? I don't know, I just don't buy the argument that 'he did it so I can too'...maybe my Mom got through to me on that excuse years ago!

August 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Kevin Griffith

Pres. Obama is not a muslim! And even if he was who cares? Wasn't this country founded on religious freedom? Aren't there bigger fish to fry? Last time I checked unemployment was still high, there is still oil in the Gulf, and there are still starving children in America. The right just looks for ways to demonize Obama every chance they get (no matter how inaccurate), instead of offering up solutions for our true problems.

August 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Janis Hewitt

I can't believe this internet RX drug business. I had to fax a vet's prescription to a Pet Med site for my dog before they'd send medicine. Why is it so easy for people?

August 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  15. neera

Despite having access to more information resources than any nation in the workd, most people in the United States are uninformed and not particularly interested in being informed. So it is not surprising that people think that our President is Muslim.

August 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  16. David Schlemmer

Politicians are trying to equate President Obama being black with being Muslim and it just is not right. Any leader of my Republican Party who questions the faith of a person who has declared their faith is not a Christian themselves. This is for God to judge and not man, or politicians trying to gain a percentage point here or there as they are baiting voters this year more then usual. I'm not buying their Kool Aid and neither will the voters come November.

August 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Emily

I'm glad that 360 had Nita on...it was good to hear from her, and what she thought. At least she had one positive experience when calling the show, perhaps explains why she called back. It's not a show that I've ever listened to, so it was good to have the Callers' (Nita) perspective.

August 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Tom

While i dont agree with Dr. Schlessinger, i do find it ironic that this caller says that we have to stop stereotyping each other and then in the same breath says that "whites are afraid of the black man taking over". Isnt that stereotyping?

August 19, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  19. CEASAR

where in this does it say you can't be president because of your religion

August 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Leslie McCall

Nina seems to be a very bright and articulate women....she has every right to be offended by the remarks made to her. I totally agree with what Nina had to say.....Laura S. was rude and disrespectful.

August 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Nancy in Oregon

Molly, I think Dr. Laura wants to do more than 'finish a sentence'...I think she wants to control things and is frustrated when she cannot.

August 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  22. molly

Ms. Hanson seems like such a nice lady. I hate what happened to her on air with Dr. Schlessinger.

August 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  23. charlie

Dr Laura does seem to be fairly arrogant and opinionated. I doubt that if I listened to her regularly that I would chose to ask her for any advice. But she should be free to think and say what she wants.

August 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

How often do black comedians use the N word in their routines. Why is that OK? Dr. Laura never called anyone the N word.

August 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Agree with guest Nita Hanson...words do hurt! Reminds me of that child's rhyme "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". Never liked that saying even as a child...

August 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Emily

Has Nita ever gotten an answer to her question?

August 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  27. molly

@Emily, "I find it ironic that Palin is telling Schlessinger not "to quit"
    You are referring to her quiting as Alaska's governor – right? I think Sarah Palin is looking for allies for 2012 in any manner she can.

August 19, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think Dr. Laura needs to take a break from the media. She seems to be aggitating more backlash. There is truth in some of what she said but she answered in such a sarcastic way.

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Shawn

OMG hurtful? gimmie a break, She's phishing for a lawsuit

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Kenya

Thank you AC360 for having Ms. Nita (Jade) to share her side of the story. Dr. Laura..are you listening??

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  31. cicly

my brain hurts. too much . thank goodness ypu have this lovely, rational young woman on. at last, a voice of reason and respect.

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Emily

@Nancy,
    I think that Palin just had to add her 2 cents... she couldn't resist.

August 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Janis Hewitt

Right, Nancy in Oregon. I think she's trying to overcome this 'foot in mouth' problem. She is trying to do better. It doesn't make her right.

August 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. rafia haque

i judge people on their charector,education and honesty not on their religion.a person could be good or bad and can belong to any religion.i am a practicing physician here in america and i am muslim.i help my patients ,my staff ignoring what color ,race, or religion they belong to.many times i have given breaks in patients payments ,in fact one patient said 'doctor if you are muslim then who were they who did 9/11.my pont is 9/11 wasdone by some people not by islam.lets' practice to be good people all together and stop criticising each others religion .

August 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Emily

@Nancy,
    Yes, that was from last night...(re. Dr. Laura)

August 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Mary. It's very disheartening to me too, about this country. I cringe to hear how intolerant we are.

August 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Emily

I'm am 84 yr.old granny I have complete confidence in our president's honesty . It is sad that so many people listen to fox news and beleive it, they must have some kind of need for that kind of negative talk. Perhaps if the president had joined a christian church and attended with the Bible in hand on the front steps every Sunday morning, that would win over some of the hypcrites that ar having trouble with his faith.

August 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  38. melora

I would be upset if he's Muslim because he has claimed not to be, but I don't care how sincere his Christian beliefs are. If he was Muslim, he would have to pray toward Mecca five times a day. I don't think he could do that on the sly. I think Obama got involved with Rev Wrights church because as a community organizer, it would allow him to know more about the people he helped. There is no way anyone could be elected President without claiming to be Christian. Preferably Protestant or born-again.

August 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Judah Osagie

I think Americans need to stop focusing on religious diversity and start focusing on fixing their economy.

August 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Lily

How could Sarah Palin support someone who would use the "N' word eleven times? For Dr. Laura to use the word even once was WRONG!!!

August 19, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Nancy in Oregon

I don't know, Bonnie. I truly think they are being questioned for less laudable reasons....and it's very sad to me.

August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. David, NYC

Dr. Schlessinger is trying to rationalize her racism. The woman didn't call complaining that people were asking for a "black point of view" she was saying they were stereotyping her.

August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Lori, CA

You can not say what ever you want. You just can't

August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Chuck

Why is this a double standard that is NOT being tolerated. If Dr. Laura got "caught" saying the N word....why is OK for rappers to say the N word 18 times in a rap?

August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Emily

It's the fact that she is (even) still trying to justify it!

August 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Nicole The Netherlands

Hi everyone! Missed you. Again able to join you, but already for the whole show chasing a wasp in the house (
    I am glad not to many dutch people watch tonights show, the President again having to defend himself to ridulous accusations.. And this strange lady with her behaviour...

August 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Carol

Christians are taught not to "judge". However, President Obama's remarks throughout his term do not reflect the feelings and beliefs of most practicing Christians. Beginning with Rev. Wright, and leading up to Obama's cancelling of the World Day of Prayer, to instead, pray with 50,000 Muslim men in Washington, D.C. doesn't do much to promote our faith in his Christian leadership values. We believe in living a Christ-like life of inclusiveness, humility, responsibility, prayer, and mission to others. Making NASA's one of its top 3 priorities "to reach out to Mulim nations" doesn't seem to conform to the original intent of the founders of the National Aeronautics Space Administration. All of these things added together, do tend to make us Americans question just where the President is coming from. Thanks for the opportunity to express my opintion.

August 19, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Samantha Rowley – Nashville, TN

I love that CNN is keeping us aware of the Gulf disaster. I am still reminded that 11 men lost their lives because of the actions of BP.

Samantha,
    I agree more!!!!! I do love CNN, too! 🙂

August 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

This is Dr. Laura from last night, right Janis Hewitt?

August 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Gabrielle

Obama has said that he is a Christian, and, since you cannot know what goes on in somebody's mind, I feel that we have to trust what he says on that. Yes, he could be a Muslim, but I don't exactly get why that would be so bad in the first place. A person's religion shouldn't matter so much in a country where we have the freedom to practice whatever religion we want.

August 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |