August 19th, 2010

Pres. Obama's Faith Questioned: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, what as many as one-in-four Americans believe about the President of the United States, that simply isn't so. That Pres. Obama is a Muslim. We're keeping them honest. Plus, meet the woman who called Dr. Laura and heard the n-word 11 times.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

The more I hear Dr. Laura's voice the more I'm glad I won't be hearing it again.

August 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. leah from dallas tx

Its sad to see how the nation gets divided by an obsesive political group. I dont care if Obama is muslim or not, but i do care about the nations problems. Those people instead on fixating on issues that really matter, they try to pin "something" on Obama. Its these people that do not know how to come to and get helpfully involve into a real problemed issue, instead they try to accuse Obama and use him as their scapegoat.

August 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Emily, it is ironic for one quitter to tell another not to. Mostly I think Palin is now just waiting to use any issue that arises so she can chime in and stay in the public eye.

August 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. molly

Dr. Schlessinger likes to say "Can I finish a sentence?"

August 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Mary

I love this country, I really do, but the ignorance of some of my fellow Americans can be overwhelming at times. Isn't it pathetic that in this nation of supposed religious freedom, we obsess so much over the personal faiths of our leaders? I guess that's just the American Way. We always seem to need a group of people to feel threatened by and thus look down upon. Whether it be blacks, Hispanics, Catholics, Jews, or Muslims, intolerance has been a proud American tradition from the start.

I respect Obama greatly if only for putting up with all this crap on a daily basis. I would have given up and gone off the deep end ages ago.

August 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Nicholas Mahr

I think it's hilarious that Dr. Laura believes her First Amendment rights have been violated by the people who have spoken out against her racist rant. The First Amendment protects our freedom of speech against interference from the government; it does not protect us from other people who are exercising their First Amendment right to disagree with us.

August 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Emily

"other people" can't take away her 1st Amendment Rights....

only the Gov. is the "1st Amendment"; Not Media Matters, etc.

August 19, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope Laura Schlessinger tell her (black woman) apology this time..... I have not hear that she is very rude to her, that is outrage her comment toward to black people... (N) word is not allowed or acceptable to say.

August 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Maryann...and would a person be a poorer President if agnostic or a Buddhist? We are a very limited country if we insist someone be of one stripe to be a good President.

August 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  10. molly

" . . . Don't retreat, reload. . ." is exactly what I would expect Sarah Palin to say to Dr. Schlessinger.

August 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Bonnie

All muslims are Islamic. Islam is a way of life, not just a religion. Obama has not been decisive in the declaration of his spiritual leanings, bows to those of questionable standards, has demonstrated through his actions, words and legislation during his administration a lack of understanding and desires of the American people. The public has always been thoroughly informed of presidential candidates' backgrounds, heritage, faith and history. Such is not the case with Obama. We have heard through his spokesmen that a Hawaiian birth certificate exists, but Obama has not spoken of it. This man is an enigma through omission and commission. That's why his credibility is being questioned and should be.

August 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Janis Hewitt

She's doing better expressing herself tonight.

August 19, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Lori, CA

Personally, I think the real issue is that Dr. Laura is arrogant

August 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Michael

He might be Muslim, and he might not be, there is nothing wrong with being Muslim. He is a smart man and he is trying to identify with both religions so that peace may reign, it is a shame that he is being attacked for doing what he is doing.

August 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Emily

@Kenya,
    "Sarah Palin just can't keep quiet. Here she comes defending Dr. Laura Schlessinger."
    I find it ironic that Palin is telling Schlessinger not "to quit"...

August 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I love that CNN is keeping us aware of the Gulf disaster. I am still reminded that 11 men lost their lives because of the actions of BP.

August 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  17. lee steedley

i did not vote for the president, but he is the president fair and square, and he deserves the respect of the office. all this was he born in the united states, is he christian etc really needs to stop.
    if he is a muslim, that is his choice, (freedom of religion) is part of the reason our country was founded. though i am a born again christian, i have friends of the muslim faith, they are extemely loving, kind people. we all need to be more tolerant of others,whether it concerns their religion or their life style. respect for each other should be the name of the game.

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Joe G.

I've always thought from the beginning that Pres. Obama was a Christian but it seems the more this issue is discussed & hearing that many Americans are called ignorant by one of Obama's inner circle of pastors has certainly caused doubts on his faith come into my mind.

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Emily

Dr. Laura Schlessinger stepped aside because she lost many sponsors....
    It has zero to do with her 1st Amendment Rights. (shame on her for saying that; to any one who has or would have)

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  20. charlie

Hate to agree with Palin, but this time she is right.

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  21. Janis Hewitt

We aren't activists or obstructionists. We're just plain old people.

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I also agree all of you, you have good point there!

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Cindy

I'm concerned with Palin's response to Dr. Laura. Palin told her to "reload" instead of retreating. I think this is very insensitive of Palin, considering how offended she would be if Dr. Laura had been using a slang word which affected someone in her family. All negative and offensive name-calling is wrong, whether it is the n-word or "retard."

August 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

Sarah Palin....is so into shooting.

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Brandyn

Dr. Laura made a monumental mistake. How did she think it was going to end? Using the N-word on the air can only end in one way, badly...

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  26. Lori, CA

Hi everyone. I wish I could never hear this Dr. Laura tape again. It is so bad, like a black eye....

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Kenya

Sarah Palin just can't keep quiet. Here she comes defending Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I'm sure we all expected it. *sigh*

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

It is important to find out about subsurface plumes of oil. The oil in the desoto canyon is in an area that according to a CNN.com article funnels nutrients to the fishing grounds off I guess Florida for one thing. Also, given the huge amount of dispersant applied underwater, we need to know if that approach serves to create underwater layers of oil.

August 19, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Emily

@Janis Hewitt,
    "I applaud Representative Markey..."
    i think that he's done a great job in speaking out about The Gulf, and AC360 has kept the viewers informed.

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  30. nate

There are many different faiths in the United States Military and services for all those different faiths and that include services for muslims. As Commander in Chief he should stand for the rights of all faiths. The men and women of all the services protect and defend the right to do so.

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  31. charlie

Eddy T
    "Render onto caesar".
    Jesus specifcally told his followers to do what is normal earthly practise rather than engage in petty / rude pigeadedness.

Visiting leaders to the US generally follow most of the normal protocols which repsoect the office of the president.,
    Bowing etc .... are irrelevant to anything, unless you truly believe that somehow the US president is the above all other leaders of the world. Now that really is a scary postion, but one that I suspect many americans actually believe.

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Maryann

His religion is his own business. I think he's doing a good and I support him.

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!! Nice job guys (police) They are right thing to chase who stole someone's truck and bck to jail... 🙂
    It is shocking news that flashing flood in Tennessee kills 5 people.... My heart goes to victim people, friends, parents and kids. 🙁

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Barbara Bryant

With what I know....a bible following Christian would state that they are such and utilize the Bible for backing up their beliefs. He stated that this is NOT a Christian nation. I dont know what he is ....but he needs to state publicly his stance because yes it does matter that we know what we are dealing with. Then at least, as a nation, no matter what your beliefs...you understand where your leader's head is.

August 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  35. ellen

The U.S. began searching for freedom to practice whatever religion one chose. The Constitution upholds separation of church and state. Perhaps, people in the US need a few history classes, and it would behoove them to study other cultures as well.

August 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  36. J. D. Smith

Some say that Islam is a peaceful religion as compared to Christianity. Why is there then not an out cry from these peaceful Muslims world wide condemning the Muslim terror groups? Christians condemned several Christian organizations, e.g., the Klu Klux Klan, and many para-military organizations, and even burned out the religious fanatics in Texas as few years ago. I see no such actions with Muslims world wide; they tend to condone terrorist actions or completely ignore their actions against Christians at least. Why not stand up for non-violence world wide?

August 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Shyrondia

This just another tactics of what links others will do to discredit the 1st African American President. No one has ever question any other president concerning their faith. The fact remain: If God is with you, who can be against. Maybe the people who's conducting the polling are polling their friend and misleading the public?? Think on that!!!

August 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Macy

What we should really care is what he is achieving and his religion should not become a global issue.

August 19, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Gary

As long as terrorist use Islam and the teachings of the Karan as the basis of their hatred toward America and Americans, the majority of Christian Americans that have no other reference will never trust people of Muslim faith. Too many concerns of sleeper cells in the US ready to kill Americans because Allah wills it so.

August 19, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Jahan georgette

I believe that the american people need to just let this man do his job and being a black american women converted muslim for the past 16 teen years. He is not muslim and because he can see the good that all muslim are not a threat to america dose'nt give people the right to cause him problems. Did the american people forget that he walked into this mess that was left by Mr. Bush?

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Carole Stidham

It doesn't matter what faith he is as long as he is honest about it
    and doesn't try to force it on anyone

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Stanley

I am 39 yrs old and to see how far backwards this country is going is sad. What happened to the people trusting the fact that the man who was hired by the people, would make decisions that are in the best interest of the people he serves. I didn't vote for the Bushes but I trusted that their decisions were made with the best interest of the country at heart. I know that all of there decisions did not go the way they wanted but I trusted them based on the peoples decision to place them in office. When will we learn to support the leaders of this nation, weather we voted for them or not.

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. Late here, but have been listening to the show. Good heavens, what kind of ugliness is being stoked about what religion the President is?

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  44. Charlotte

I think Obama is christian.

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  45. James

If there are so many of you, say he is a Christian...... Then why when he speaks to the nation, or in his news conferences. Does he not have a Christian flag standing beside him? Why is the Nations Flag stand way far away. Why would he be ashamed of that. Why would there be a middle eastern curtain hanging behind him and nothing else beside him? He is Muslim. Don't fooled by the curtain you are looking at. Lets remember there are scriptures engrave on certain monuments in the capital area put there by your four fathers.

August 19, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  46. David, NYC

Despite what many people seem to believe, according to the FBI's official list of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, only 6% have been committed by Islamic extremists, while Jewish extremists account for 7%. There is nothing special about Muslims that warrants the fear and xenophobia they face in our country.

August 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Brandyn

I don't understand why this is such huge news. What I find more newsworthy is Americans ignorance of the news. A Muslim president in America would have made WORLD news and 24% of Americans polled don't watch enough news to know that he isn't a Muslim, sad.

August 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  48. marie

I am still trying to wrap my brain around how they are going to operate with all these contractors who will basically be policing Iraq. Just is worrisome.

August 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Matthew

The people who say that Obama is a muslim are either willfully ignorant, gullible, or using the that sound bite to disguise something deeper.

August 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  50. ruben

It is simply amazing how some folks use fear. Fear is the tool used by dictators to control. Let us concentrate on keeping our Country great and our democracy alive respecting others regardless of their religion and where they choose to pray.

August 19, 2010 at 10:25 pm |