August 19th, 2010

Pres. Obama's Faith Questioned: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, what as many as one-in-four Americans believe about the President of the United States, that simply isn't so. That Pres. Obama is a Muslim. We're keeping them honest. Plus, meet the woman who called Dr. Laura and heard the n-word 11 times.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Agree with you bloggers that this Muslim/Christian debate on the President is truly a distraction for the sake of the mid-term elections, otherwise, it might have been brought up before now. The real question is who is propogating this agenda?

August 19, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Janis Hewitt

I applaud Representative Markey for his dedication to our environment.
    Thank you, Congressman!

August 19, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Emil

Much of this discussion on his faith and citizenship is his own fault. Most states you have to show a birth certificate to get a drivers license, some jobs, some types of permits. By surrounding his personal information in secrecy, he generates suspicion, it's human nature. I believe that anyone who runs for federal office, asking the American people to grant them great power over their lives, is not entitled to ANY secrets. If you have need of such secrecy about your life you probably shouldn't run.

August 19, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  4. James

What's sad is his faith isn't gonna change the economy, find Bin Laden, clean up the oil spill, help race relations, or remove us from unnecessary war and conflict with other countries. It is very hard for many of us who are never polled to believe that this isn't just another racially motivated attack against America's first Black president. Whether he's Muslim or not at least the man professes to believe in a God.

August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. nate

The question should be What if the President is A Muslim . There is no requirement that you must be of a certain faith to be President of the United States, for that much have faith at all.

August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Isabelle

You cannot declare that President Obama is muslim based on his name Barak, you so called christians don't you know that Barak was one of the judges in Israel, read your Bible.

August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Kal

Finally CNN had an actual and intelligent and articulate discussion on the matter of Obama's faith and the mosque controversy. If more "news organizations" did this, we could educate people instead of having "we report the facts and then decide for you" type of programs. Hope to see more.

August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Carrie

I think the Republicans don’t know what to do any more; this President is doing all the right things for all of us, and now they come with he is a Muslim and start rumors, this is crazy people wake up stop believing every think you her, our troops are coming home let’s talk about that, why everything is all negative I don’t get it, it’s very hard for me to watch the news any more, I cannot believe how ignorant people are, I don’t care he is a great President.

August 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Mikey

Hi Everyone

I think is so crazy. People in America think the President is a Muslim, really what has this country turned into. I mean the more good the President trys to do the more the GOP and Tea Party try to destroy. Filing lawsuits against the President, this is nutty. So what if he is a Muslim or a Socialist if he can get this country back on the right track then I say so be it leave him alone and stop bringing him down

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  10. David, Indiana

Good evening John Roberts, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole everyone.

Sorry to be a bit late. I don't understand how anyone's faith in the President's faith can be in question. Wasn't there a lot discussion about how having a President as a member of a congregation could be distracting for a church?

That was a terrific panel discussion I agree.

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  11. David

I agree with Emily, the Gulf of Mexico, the MIddle East War, sorry I mean invasion, and many many others!

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  12. pamela dziuk

yes hes muslim. he has a muslim name. i was married to a muslim, although i am not claiming to be an expert i have alot of knowledge.

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Shawn

freedom of speech isn't free, and Dr Laura sure is paying for it now.

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm thinking that BP has bought their way out of this disaster in the Gulf.

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Betsy

It's frightening that so many Americans are so suspicious and so easily influenced by the hysterical Anti-Obama propaganda being dispersed via Tea Party meetings, Red-State websites, and conservative news programs. Remember that our nation was founded on tolerance and acceptance of diversity.

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Kyle

Is it me our is it funny how Obama's religion has come into play, at the same time as the mosque issue....Politics....A very evil buisness, and what does his religion have to do with any thing...This is america, you can be what ever you want to be...We are slowly loosing our freedoms and liberty's...

August 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Sharon Hastings

Continued thanks to 360 for keeping on top of the oil spill issue. It hasn't "gone away" like many wish it would. Out of sight, out of mind. The oil is still there and it is still doing untold damage.

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. alani

It sounds like the Palindrones are at it again. Any old lie will do, including that President Obama is a Muslim. I do not recall us following Bush or Clinton to see where they worshiped on any given Sunday. As President, Obama is charged with preserving the rights guaranteed every American, including Muslims. In fact President Obama has appointed more Christians and Jews then Muslims during his administration. In case some of you out there in LaLa land don't know Rhaem Emmanuel is Jewish (or is he actually a Muslim pretending to be Jewish Umm). This brings home why upholding separation of Church and State is crucial to our democracy.

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I don't care about Obama's faith, but I sure would like him to stop bending over backwards supporting Islam.

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. hassan

even if Obama is a Muslim, what is wrong being a Muslim? I am a Surgeon and I cannot answer my kids this question. today there is so much of pure hatred of Muslims and Islam by GOP, right wing media etc.
    there is evidence that none of the Muslim or Arab countries have the technology to make 'Nano thermite', the explosives that brought down twin towers and building 7. time to reopen 9/11 investigation and find the real criminals and punish them for their acts, not the religion they claim to be represent.

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. CEASAR

what about to freedom of religion in this country?????????????????Muslim is a religion and NOT a group of terror

August 19, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Terri

So what if he is a Muslim? I'm an atheist, so his religion is irrelevant to me.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Sue R. Canton MI.

It sickens me to see how quickly that the situation in the Gulf was suddenly hushed. I'm glad to see that CNN is still talking about this occasionally. There is still so much going on there that we don't have the answers to.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Janis Hewitt

I agree with the Representative. I'm not a scientist but common logic tells me it's going to show up somewhere – in the food chain or on the beaches after a hurricane.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Brooke

As a southern American who converted to Islam four years ago, I find it incredulous that so many Americans have such misguided understandings of Islam. I have found Islam to be completely compatible with the foundations on which America was built and quite frankly it's offensive that such a high percentage of Americans seem to want to alienate Muslims.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Larry

Well The president can be what ever he choose to be , in as much he his serving God and he cant be muslim and fighting the muslim country, if he his a muslim he will have the spirit of War and Bad mind...I hope u understand

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Clide

I beleive that President Obama is a christian, not only that i beleive that he is sent from God.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Alex

A non-muslim President would never bow to a Saudi...
    That shows it all.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It was totally illogical to expect that 75% of the oil just disappeared. That coming from an Administration that mocked Bush's twisting of scientific data.

August 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. lilia

his father was a muslim i don;t see why he would not have feelings towards the muslim belive.i believe he is a great human been muslim or not..

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  31. ron (bloomington, in)

So, 25% of Americans think O is a Muslim. So what? More people in the USA believe in angels than accept evolution. Stipulate that on a bell shaped curve, it's quite possible that 25% will believe the earth is only 10,000 years old. (OK, it's MORE than that). If ignorance were bliss, these people must be in ecstasy.

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Debra

Evil flourishes when good men (women) do nothing. Where are the good folks when a person's religious freedom is attacked. Let them buid the mosque and let our leaders expend some of this energy on developing ways to get unemployment down and solving globalwarming.

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Emily

this is no surprise to me... I found it quite shocking that they claimed that all that oil was in fact gone...also, what about all the dispersant?

now, are we ever going to be able to trust what is said about The Gulf?

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

First the "birthers", then the "terror babies", now the doubts about the President's religion. Can it really be true that about a fifth of Americans are believing these strange rumors?

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Tom Most

Barack Obama said we are not a Christian Nation.
    He also cancelled the National Day of Prayer.
    He also celebrated Ramadon.
    What does that make him?

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Cindy

Last poll I heard said that 37% of Americans still think Iraq had caused 9-11. I guess those same ill-informed (g-rated adjective recommended in the blog rules) people think Obama isn't a Christian. What really is wrong with these people? It is not that hard to figure these things out!

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  37. marie

Why is it that the most intolerance of religions seems to come from those that claim they are religious?

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  38. David

I agree with Damien. I don't think that he's a muslim, and besides even if he is, who cares, it's his choice. Not all muslims are going to run a plane into a building.

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Marcus

I've seen the polls about Obama and which religion he might have but do the polls also sort out those people who just react negative because they are anti Obama? What's the fuzz about it anyway do people not having other priorities as making a fuzz about a religion? So typically American!

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Dona Evans

President Obama professes to be a Christian. That should be good enough for other Christians. The Bible I have says, "Judge not lest ye be judged." So, for the Christians who judge his brand of Christianity to be lesser than their own, I would advise caution. To me, Obama exhibits the ideas and actions of a true Christian, as taught by Jesus. I would suggest these supposed "Christian Conservatives" go back and reread both the Bible and the Quran.

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Blake on Long Island

I am not surprised...the poll numbers reflect the number of Americans who watch and are influenced by Fox (not Sheppard Smith) News, Limbaugh and others who perpetuate their divisive and unfounded rhetoric against this President.

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Bill

The majority of those who want us to believe that President Obama is Muslim are right wingers with a tilt toward racism. Intelligent Americans know better. Enough said!

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Matt

this just shows how ignorant and racist america is

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Rodger

President Obama is a member of the Church of God in Christ. Anyone who thinks otherwise is true to their closeminded selves

August 19, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Loren Piller

Who knows what he is. He has all his records sealed up. He may be what he says he is. But he is too paranoid for my taste.

August 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Emily

@damien,
    I think that the lines between the "separation of church and state" started to blur within the last administration.

We should have been talking about issues like the amount of oil that's in The Gulf right away, yet so many Americans are willing to believe "that Obama is a Muslim."

August 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  47. jasmine

America is discussing the possibility of Obama being Muslim now? What's next?? Why are Americans so scared of Muslims and Islam? Why are we even discussing this topic in the 21st century? personally i am Muslim and I am offended of the perspective that ALL Muslims are terrorists. Seriously? People who say these rude and ignorant remarks should research and think about what they are saying before they speak. I am shocked and offended... America is known for its freedom of speech and freedom to practice religion.. how ironic...

August 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Mubin Shaikh

I am a former undercover national security agent and Muslim. first of all, I give top marks to your show for truly, keeping it honest. The dishonesty that is being perpetuated by hostiles, is giving Osama Bin Laden more ammunition that any rogue state ever could – that this is in fact a war on Islam by proxy. I believe in the war on terrorism and there are good Muslims who love the West who will put their lives down for the great values it expresses to the rest of the globe. An excellent job AC360.

August 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Ken Baker

Who cares what his faith is? I for one am good at my job regardless of my religious afflication.

August 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Eddy T Perry

If he is a Christian, why is he bowing to foreign kings? Christians do not do that? If he is a Christian why isn't he in church showing evidence he believes?
    If he is a Christian why is he removing his shoes with Muslims and praying to Allah?
    If he is a Christian, let him on National TV before the world admit that Jesus Christ is the one and only True God?
    A true Jew will not! a true Muslim will not; A Christian will!

August 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm |