August 19th, 2010

Pres. Obama's Faith Questioned: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, what as many as one-in-four Americans believe about the President of the United States, that simply isn't so. That Pres. Obama is a Muslim. We're keeping them honest. Plus, meet the woman who called Dr. Laura and heard the n-word 11 times.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Bobby

Obama is not a muslim. A muslim person would never ever claim to belong to another religion. It is just as simple. Coming from a muslim of course 🙂

August 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Robert Barker

Regarding the Little President:

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, he's a Muslim. Simple.

August 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  3. bruno

Hello , im trouble about the media pushing the president of the united states obama to be linked whit the religion to be more fanatic is he muslim or not i dont care all i know from the last president from the taliban and many others president of the united states shoud not be linked whit religion is first job is to look out for the u.s. economy and many many other things

August 19, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Janis Hewitt

I remember when JFK was elected president. Same talk about him. There seems to be a conservative opinion that any other religion besides protestant christianity is threatening to American values and it filters into politics big time.

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Angela Savage Austin

The same extreme right wing crazies also believe that President Obama is the anti-christ...Americans cannot allow crazy people continue to run this country and have the world veiw us as ignorant fearmongers.

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Norrain

Of course Obama's Muslim, since he was born to a Muslim biological father and raised by a Muslim stepfather, technically, he's Muslim. He should be proud of it. At least he can help show the world that not all Muslims are bad, and he, of all people, understands the Muslim culture.

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Edson

One day human beings will overcome the need of believing.

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Emily

"more oil in The Gulf" ...I have no doubt that there is.... 🙁

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Stanley

Let me start by saying that the word Muslim only means 1 who submits his will to God so in that case anyone who believes there is a God is a Muslim, why give the President a hard time about following the law

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Regarding these polls that are taken (and I respect Pew Research), I really wish they would put the total number of people contacted who answered the questions. They always put the sampling error of +/- 3% but having the total number would help us see if this issue is truly one to be warranted. Questioning 20 people is not in anyway a majority and a major issue.

August 19, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Nicole

Who cares!! Their is more important thing that need to be shared with the world not the same old hatred and disrespect. people really need to get over themselves

August 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Kay Manwaring

He may claim to be a Christian, but his snide and incorrect Biblical references belie that fact. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck – it is a duck. He acts and speaks and makes decisions far more pro-Islam than pro-Christian. It is o.k. to build a Mosque near ground zero but it is not o.k. to pray on the steps of the Supreme Court?
    I do not know if he is a Muslim – but I do know he is not a Christian.

August 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

Look, some of this is political for sure. Another distraction. Many of those opposing him are grabbing at anything negative to say about him. Let's see, so far he is a Muslim Kenyan socialist who takes too many vacations. Could we please talk about nuclear weapons or something worthwhile.

August 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Look at poll right now, It says that Muslim will not let president run his politics. 32% and between 28%

August 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  15. damien

Last time I checked the U.S.constitution states "separation of church and state". Besides...he said he's christian, then he's a christian!

August 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Reem AlHarmi

Hello,

There are lots of rumors going on about the president religion, the more rumors there is, the nastier it gets.

I don't understand why people are making it a big deal? Specially that they associate Islam with 9\11,terrorist, AlQaeda and Bin Laden.
    They are giving the religion of Islam a bad name and opponents to the president, achieved with they want, destroying Obama's image based on a false statement and misunderstand and stereotyping of Islam.

I wonder if we gona see the same reaction if the president is Hindu, Jewish,Atheist, or any other religion.

August 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Sophie

The real question is – why is it that a person who is a Muslim must immediately be perceived negatively? Lose your ignorance, people.

August 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  18. marie

I think the tea party is working overtime

August 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Sheri

Those who attack his faith or lack of are confused – either he's a Muslim or he followed Jeremiah Wright...which is it? I also think having a Muslim president would be pretty cool but unfortunately it is too open-minded for Americans.

August 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Brian in TX

Hi all.....you know and I know that it is because of his race and his name that people keep spreading this nonsense. It doesn't suprise me that 18% of the country are just fighting mad because they have a black man in the whitehouse and they can't stand it. Either he is a Marxist, a socialist, a communist, and if that doesn't work then they label him a muslim, All in an attempt to de-legitimize his presidency. It's so sad.

August 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Libby

How much do you want to bet that a lot of people answer those polls maliciously? In other words, they know the president is a Christian, but they answer it in a dishonest way....

August 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Emily

@Sharon Hastings,
    I agree with you. There are so many more important issues, and the media has to cover this, to tell what Obama's faith is. I really don't think that it's anybody's business. Faith is a personal thing.

August 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  23. nalini ouditt

Goodnight everyone, Why do people think that?
    I keep hearing Americans think so, but I do not understand how they arrived at that conclusion when there was a whole issue with his
    spiritual adviser during the elections. I s it because his
    name is OBAMA and that's close to OSAMA? That would be ridiculous!

August 19, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  24. charlie

I really can't decide whether the US should be more embarassed by the fact that such nonsense gets airplay or that the leaders faith is relevant to anything.
    Either way it is an indictment of free speech if the "free" so abuse that freedom OR and indictment of the US claims to tolerance and freedom of religion.

August 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Lily

At first his birth place was an issue...now it is his faith...dare I ask what is next?

August 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Joseph

I wouldnt say that he is a Muslim. but I will say this many people profess out of there mouths that they are a Christian.. but you will never here many profess Christians mention the Lord Jesus Christ's Name if He talked about Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour then you think correctly that he may be a christian but he still has to live it
    God Bless

August 19, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Stephen

Seriously the line between religion and state continues to blur

August 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Sue R. Canton MI.

President Obama stated during his campiagn that he is a Christian and until someone can prove that he lied thats good enough for me. This is rediculous with all the issues that we are dealing with in our country.

August 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Emily

@Josh, it wouldn't matter to me whether he is not... he however, has said that he's a Christian, and had got into much trouble with Rev. Wright. I have no idea why people won't accept his word on that...

August 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Robin

Why does it even matter what religion he observes? Are country was founded on religous freedom. Are we going to throw that out as well with the freedoms we've lost?

August 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  31. jimmy

I don't think he's a muslim. But I do believe there's certain muslim interest in my country, Indonesia, that back him up all this time.

August 19, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I feel bad for the President. He's just getting attacked lately for every little thing going on in the world. Of course, when he goes on vacation this next week, I'm sure we'll hear the criticism on that as well. He must be a strong person to handle the rough and tumble of politics. Whew!!!

August 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Libby

Limbaugh should head out when Schlessinger does. They are both nut cases!

August 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. molly

President Obama said he was a Christian. He said he accepted Jesus. He said Jesus died for his sins. What more can he say?

August 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I guess whoever responds to these surveys are out of touch with the reality in the country. We have a lot of bigger problems in the country today that we need to focus on.

Who practices what religion is really secondary when crisis is so bad that its hard to bring bread to the table!

August 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Pinar Denker

Hi everybody! I really don't get it why it is even a matter of discussion what religion someone believes in. Would that be a crime if he was an atheist? His job is to run this country in the best interest of its people; as long as his faith or lack of faith does not effect his ability to task, who cares?

August 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Sheri

In all honesty, I really don't care what religion our president practices, as long as he upholds the Constitution and tries to do what is best for our country. We are America. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? Doesn't that apply here? I am an agnostic and I want my president to do the job he was voted in to do, and if he goes to church on Sunday morning or doesn't go to church is not my concern.

August 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

Good evening John Roberts and all bloggers. It's just unbelievable to me that the President would be put in a position to have to defend his faith. This is out of hand. That his people felt they had to make a statement is ridiculous.

August 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Janis Hewitt

Hello 360ers. It may be his name. When he first became well known before the presidential campaign, his name was so close to another name blasted in the headlines – Osama. I thought that would be a hard one for him to overcome back then.

August 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Emily

Good evening 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, & Bloggers!

This is really getting tiresome; people who think that Obama is a Muslim.

August 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Libby

I think it's strange that pollsters keep calling people asking them about President Obama's faith. He is a Christian for crying out loud.

August 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Josh

I personally suspect that President Obama is an atheist or strong agnostic. (Hence the "guns and religion" comment, which I think was mostly true!) And I'm glad of it. It lets him detach from the nutty "God wants us to bomb Iraq" nonsense of GWB and Rumsfeld. Unfortunately we live in a nation where being atheist dooms any chance you have of being elected.

August 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

August 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Gabrielle

Obama isn't a secret Muslim because he supports the Mosque – that's ridiculous. He was a constitutional law professor at UChicago and he knows that legally and constitutionally these people have a right to build this Mosque and practice their religion freely.

August 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John (Anderson,) Megan, Joe, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!

August 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Ariel

i dont think he is a Muslim , what hes trying to do is to be equal to all , is he s Muslim he wont help is Israel no matter what

August 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. aimee

just dropping by to say hi.
    So Hi Anderson Cooper!

August 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Dino

You know that saying, "Religion poisons everything it touches"? Oops.

August 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening John and fellow bloggers!

August 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

hello everyone – good evening!

Hope its been a great week for all.

August 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm |