August 18th, 2010

Last U.S Combat Convoy Leaves Iraq: Join the Live Chat

The last U.S. brigade combat team has left Iraq, leaving about 56,000 U.S. troops in the country. So, what happens now? We're digging deeper. Plus, we're tracking the cash needed for the N.Y. Islamic Center near Ground Zero. Some have claimed the money will come from sponsors of terrorism. We're keeping them honest. Plus, Dr. Laura Schlessinger on her racial rant. She's tonight's 'Big 360° Interview."

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    I don't know Dr. Laura's show either; however, she seems to have "apologized" on TV for offending different people on a regular basis...

August 18, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Sam

Why specific race should have exclusiveright to use "N" word???Why so called civil rights organisations only takes on other races? If truth matters what is your take? Or it is all hypocrisy!!!!!!!!!!!

August 18, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Aj

The lady calling Dr. Laura was asking for Dr. Laura's help...if you don't want that,..then go somewhere else...I heard it and Dr. Laura was only trying to help...not disrespectful in any means

August 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Shawn

Have you heard Ludacris' Word of Mouth? The N-- word is used profusely and is only one example of the double standard. How can there be a word that is "our" word and you can't say it?

August 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

@ Emily
    I agree with you whole-heartedly. There is no place for that word as well as the ethnic words used for other people groups.

August 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  6. siena-manhattan, ny

after all the other hateful things she has said over the years...it has finally caught up with her and she is stopped in her tracks.

August 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  7. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

If a word is disrespectful to anyone then why use it? Why can't we try to have a kind society?

August 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

Why did David Gergen say Iraq doesn't have a govt? It does have a govt, is he saying it is not effective enough?

I can see the point Pamela Geller made last night about the building where the mosque will be is part of the ground zero site because it was damaged in the attack and I can understand the pt the woman who lost her mother is making about the mosque possibly being a reminder of attack though that is a pt having to do with motivation for building a mosque.

But I feel the guest who made the pt about the principle of religious tolerance in this country and the constitutional right to freely practice one's religion is making the key point.

August 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Emily

I don't think that anyone should use the "N" word...
    It's very disrespectful & the history of it is so ugly!

August 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. marie

I have only seen a snippet of the rant she had and it reminded me of a woman I once worked for. We are both 50ish, she was black and I am white. It took me months to get her to stop using that word! I think what finally got through to her was asking her to talk to her parents and grandparent who was still alive about how they felt about it.

August 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Kula May Ellison

Hello Mr A .Copper, That is "Awesome" the troops are being pulled out of Iraq. I mage how they feel, finally know that day has finally arrived. 😀

August 18, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Shawn

Dr Laura is absolutely right. There is clearly a double standard involving the N-- word and proves that freedom of speech in America isn't free. Dr Laura is paying for it now.

August 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Eric Walker, Miami FL

Its way to late to put the N-Word to rest. The younger Kids these days have no idea what the meaning behind the word was and most social study classes in high schools dont teach about it. We will have to wait for the older generation to pass, unfortunatly

August 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Libby

I think it's scary that Dr. Laura said she's leaving her radio program so she can exercise her First Amendment Rights. Makes you wonder what she means by that?

August 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Emily

@Janis Hewitt,
    "She certainly wants to be right."

I still don't think that she "gets it" ... I really think that she sees herself as the victim here...I think her "apology" was so empty & insincere.

August 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

I do think Dr. Laura should take a break from the interviews....she is only hurting her own case at this stage!

August 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  17. charlie

Put (a word) to rest.
    Is that the politically correct way to say "ban" a word .

Of course it should not be used offensively by anyone who want to be viewed positively be reasonable people but proposing to ban ceratin words is right out of Orwell.

August 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Tony

As a Veteran, I feel that all citizens deserve the right to religious freedon under the Constitution. As great Saint once said, "When the Church, Mosque, Temple and Synogue comes together, Spring will blosson." Interpret this as saying, God and the Angels will dance to see that we are acting as true Human beings. Without forgiveness and forgetting this tragedy, we will never move on as a Nation in the direction of peace. Truly speaking, our enemy is, "a reflection of our self."

August 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  19. siena-manhattan, ny

Emily, you are so right, she doesn't understand what the 1st amendment is.

August 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I also agree with all of you, Good point..... (Laura Schlessinger) She took away her rights and she will not be back radio her show.

August 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton MI.

I don't listen to Dr. Laura that much,,but she seems to be very sarcastic and showed it tonight when she was talking to John R.

August 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Emily....the caller was asking for help. I don't know the show so don't know if Dr. Laura usually does give true advice or if she co-opts the calls for her own agenda. It certainly seems to be the case with this call.

August 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Kayteee

The "doctor" was the one that brought up the subject of the president!

August 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Oh brother! I do not believe Dr. Laura...thinking about leaving for a year. Who knows...I never listened to her show. This situation last week has caused her leaving, plain and simple. She still does not sound remorseful for her comments made by blaming the sensitive culture we live in. Thanks John for staying on the 1st amendment comment she made and getting down to the truth.

August 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Emily

I noticed that Dr. Laura just really had to "bite her tongue" with John...
    "no, I'm alright".... (I have to wonder about that)

August 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Man, Dr. Laura is out of gas. My gosh she is so unprofessional and disrespectful.

August 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

Dr. Laura is really defensive...yet she has presumably come onto the show of her own free will.

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Janis Hewitt

She certainly wants to be right.

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm hearing this mosque has been in the planning stage for four years. It' seems like there are more issue's that their dealing with aside from people being sensitive to the area it's being built in..

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Emily

This caller "Jade" was looking for help; not for Dr. Laura Schlessinger to make a point re. the use of the "N" word....

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. martin pederson

The insurgants kept the war going on longer then it had to be

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"I didn't intend to hurt anyone." The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What is Dr. Laura a doctor of anyway? She is so incredibly offensive and she consistently blurts out facts, which aren't (facts).

August 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. carla

dr.laura you said it ...own up to what you said and knock it off with the blame game

August 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Dr. Laura might have some points worth discussion but her attitude ruins it.

August 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. Emily

First Ammendment Rights have to do with the "Government" intruding on them...NOT the media, or listeners that do Not agree with You!!

August 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Vickie

Dr. Laura didn't lose her 1st amendment rights. She's still talking.
    What she lost was sponsors.....aka $money in her pocket........

August 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Poor Dr. Laura. If she knew she blew it, why did she say it? Did she have a senior moment? Seriously

August 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Kenya

I was waiting for someone to ask Dr. laura how her 1st Am. rights were taken away. Thank you Mr. Roberts.

August 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. martin pederson

We got our goals accomplished in Iraq. They have a new government now and people have the right to vote.

August 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. marie

I can't imagine what the New Yorkers went through and though I think I understand their reaction, if the organization building the mosque is throughly vetted then I think they do have a right to build. Of course, New York is not the only area facing this quandary, I believe it is in Tennessee, that a religious organization wants to build a complex on property they own and are encountering great opposition from the community.

Seems like a slippery slope to me.

August 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  41. deb northeast ohio

I understand why New Yorkers, US citizens regard the site of the proposed mosque as special, what i don't understand is why this Mulsim congregation considers this site so special to them, that they could not relocate.

August 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Kayteee

I would love to know where they are getting these percentages. No one I know really cares enough one way or another. I just do not believe that 80% number she just threw out. Besides, constitutional rights are NOT dependent on polls, thank goodness!!

August 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Rob

I am so glad our troops will be home soon. I am still concerned for the troops left there training. My condolences to those who have lost loved ones. May God find a way to ease your pain.

August 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Emily

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is playing the victim card with the statement that she's looking to "regain her first amendment rights..." The Gov. has never stopped her from speaking in the past...

The fact that many of her sponsors have left, she only has herself to blame for that...she needs to take responsible for that.

August 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Erin Murphy

My son is one of the last to leave and I am sure I can speak for many other families by saying "We are Happy yhry are coming Home!" Bless Our Troops! And Welcome Home!!!!!!!

August 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Janis Hewitt

First ammendment rights taken away. Has the government shut down her show?

August 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I REALLY appreciate 360 assembling this non-viral conversation. It's so sensible and so FREE of politics that it is truly refreshing. Hallelujah for people that can actually be respectful of each other and use their brains as well.

Now Dr. Laura, the opposite of respectful...

August 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Kayteee

I mean its going to be hard for the families whenever they go to Ground Zero, no matter what's down the street.

August 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Emily

I'm sorry for the loss of this lady's family member on 9/11 (the one speaking across from John Roberts), however, not everyone has been "blaming the Muslim Community" ... that's painting everyone with same brush; (what she says we are doing to the Muslim Community)

If it was Roman Catholics, I would be just as against it. (building a Church)

August 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Janis Hewitt

I don't understand the funding. Most religious centers support themselves.

August 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |