August 17th, 2010

Dr. Laura Ending Her Radio Show: Join the Live Chat

We're following breaking news. Dr. Laura Schlessinger is ending her radio show, in a cloud of a racially-charged controversy. Hear what she told Larry King just moment ago. Plus, two reports on the oil still lingering in the Gulf of Mexico raising some chilling possibilities and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Nancy, that's why the Pope ordered a convent near a former concentration camp closed. Even though the nuns were there expressly to pray for the dead, the Pope felt it was insensitive to Jews and closed it down. Why can't the Imam move the mosque for the same reason?

August 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton MI.

Too many people are so sensitive about this mosque being built that I just don't see where any good can come out of it. I don't believe it has anything to do with a mosque being built,,,,it's where ther building it.

August 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Lori, CA

I still think that there should be only one non-denominational memorial there – a circular set of benches where everyone can worship together and pray for peace.

August 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Larry

Can the government enact Eminent Domain' for the area that includes ground zero and a respectful radius?

August 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  5. carla

the terrorist inflicted terror based on being bad guys

August 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Brad Ohio

I really like what this Ms Geller is saying here! I'm glad she's on the show!

August 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  7. carla

so based on what she says we shouldn't build anywhere in america

August 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

I do think from the tape that was played that Dr. Laura did not respond to her caller, but she did apologize and I take that as sincere.

How much oil has been collected? overall?

The numbers do need to be reconciled. How does the Georgia study compare with the govt's information?

August 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Cincy Sarah

Why make us wait until her contract expires? She not only tried to insult the caller, who incidentally saw thru her antics, she tried to insult an entire race of people and the the most prestigious and oldest Civil Rights organization in the world. Shame on her!
    Au revoir, Sayonara, Auf Wiedersehen and... good riddance!

August 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Kayteee

"I hate to admit it, Lori, but there are some religious groups I would not want in my own neighborhood either. Sad but true."

That is sad. Its also sad but true that some don't want certain racial groups in their neighborhoods.

August 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

Mike, for me sensitivity is truly one of the big issues here, and I would feel that way about any religious group situating itself too near any sensitive spot. I think they should all keep a respectful distance from very painful sites-there's too much appearance of using those sites for their own ends.

August 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Marie

Building a mosque any where near ground zero is a huge slap in the face. Did the hijackers not kill thousands of people in the name of ALLAH ? Complete disrespect !

August 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  13. carla

maybe some muslims wants to heal in there place of worship.....what then should happen to that building....nothing

August 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Larry

Can they not build the mosque closer to ground zero or even on it?

August 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Kayteee

Usually when people say "I know that they have a constitutional right, but..." , they are about to try to stop someone from exercising their right!

August 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good story about the NY mosque Randi Kaye.

August 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. carla

that building was for slae and someone bought it

August 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  18. JR

I have been listenting to Dr. Laura for 15 years and she has helped many people with a realistic approach. She is not one to candy coat an issue. There is nothing she said that was not accurate and true. I believe she should not have appologized for anything.

The caller brought up the "N" word and she responded with a true statement about HBO. Every comedian hispanic and or black can use the "N" but no one else can?

This in itself would be a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Consitution! Go Figure!

August 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

People are confusing the muslim faith with al queda or other radicals. Islam is a peaceful religion. Can all Christians be judged by those who murder in cold blood abortion doctors?? No, of course not. This is America. Isn't that what we fight to protect?? The land of the free? And we want that freedom for everyone.

August 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  20. carla

palin should never be taken seriously....build the mosque....i won't go but if i did so what this is america...

August 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Lori, CA

I really think this is a local issue and others should not voice their opinion.

August 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Ricardo

I'm really disappointed to see Dr. Laura quits. Her leave promotes the negro word become more frightening to say in public especially in freedom of speech country. This is not fair at all. We should not talk about race anymore if we still want to be a country with freedom of speech. Stick and stone can break your bone but word never hurt you........

August 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Jerry

I'm sure we will be seeing strange things happening in the future because of this spill....... schools of fish, turtles and other sea creatures mysteriously washing up on the beaches years after BP and the spill are forgotten.

August 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

August 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No one is saying that there isn't a Constitutional right to build the mosque. It's a question of respect and sensitivity to the 9/11 victims and their families.

August 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Jim

RE Blago trial. Why does it require all 12 jurors to convict? Especially in a case when 11 jurors voted for conviction on all accounts.

August 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Lynn from Canada

Gald to hear that Dr. Laura is giving up her radio talk show!! I stopped listening to her years ago!! She is one of the most contradictory, outrageous, opinionated on-air people out there today! She probably got fired and is disguising it as her making the decision to leave. Please oh please don't bother showing up in/on any other media source.....trust me, no one wants to listen to your one-sided rants! Dr....you say? Not a very good one...thats for sure!!

August 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Sharon Hastings, ripple effects are inevitable. At the same time, I am amazed at how the earth does recover from so much, though the time spans for healing are not on news or election cycles of course.

August 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Lori, CA

Most places of worship are very controversial for the neighborhood.

August 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Michelle

Just goes to show you that the 'double standards' that are now the norm in the US. Laura says the N word and we're all talking about it. Sharpton says it and it's okay.

Personally, I think the word should never be used again.

August 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  31. beverly

Dr. laura used this situation to spew the "n" word. She said it with such vehemence. She absolutely enjoyed using the word ( that was emphasized in the quality of her voice). She totally disrespected the caller and the African American race on purpose!

August 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Brad Ohio

James Carville STOP it please, you're making me drewl for Cajun cookin!!!!! I love Gulf and Bayou food but I'm 1000 miles away!

August 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, carla....humans lie, surprise surprise too!

August 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

We have not heard the last of damage from the oil spill. I'm sure that as we speak there is much harm being done to the gulf and who knows how this chain reaction will end.

August 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Marvin

She said on Larry King she would welcome a debate...who has she debated with beside the caller who she belittled on her show. If she is truly sorry why wouldn't she debate with someone who does not believe her apologize

August 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  36. terry

I have listened to Dr. Laura for many years.....she has an obvious problem with women who complain about their husbands treatment of them. she gets an attitude right from the start...this wasn't about the wife and her sensitivity, dr. laura was irritated with her from the start because she had a complaint about her husband...dr. laura should retire from the radio....i have noticed for a long time now that she doesn't have to patience anymore to be compassionate.

August 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Lori, CA

I would like to know why people are saying that the oil evaporated. How can oil evaporate?

August 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Don

Dr. Laura should be off the air. I'm not sure what her doctorate is in, but if that clip is an example of her clinical manner, she definitely needs to not only be off the air, but also out of the counseling profession. I would think that someone who is supposed to be a scholar would have at least read some of the "basic" scholarship regarding racial issues

Sincerely...a Black man with a doctorate
    (a member of one of the special interest groups she referred to)

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Larry

The doctor missed an opportunity to help the caller. Her advice was bad but she said nothing wrong. Sharpton is wrong as usual. Dr. Laura should not quite her show.

August 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

Samantha Rowley, nothing just disappears, does it? Things disperse, they changes forms, masks and hide and camouflage, but nothing disappears...surely no one really thought that the oil had just disappeared when nothing else does...do you think?

August 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy, Now what??? Goverment aren't helping clean up oil spill over gulf.

August 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  42. molly

@ Kayteee, "She never even tried to listen to the caller and or help her at all!" She was only interested in her attempt to make a point that day about hypersensitivity. No matter what the caller said, she wanted to minimize the caller's concerns and discredit them.

August 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Valencia in CT

Laura had no regard for the feelings of the caller with the continued use of the n word. Laura also called her sensitive and suggested that she had not marry outside of her race. This was really awful and irresponsible, I am glad Laura resigned.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. deanne

Laura S is hard edged. She was in the mode of teaching a lesson
    to the caller, not empathizing.
    She is a scolding kind of person, not a friendly type.
    Some people enjoy that. I think it is nasty and humiliating.
    it is good she is leaving the airways.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. bea

So greatful to universities and collegse for their research in the gulf spill areas. Wish more would put some time into the story.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Chris

Dr. Laura didn't do anything wrong. These people are making a big deal out of nothing.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. tracey

Dr. Laura needs to go!! Even though I believe in the same 'basic' beliefs as her, I think she has a TERRIBLE way of talking to people. She calls herself a professional but I don't see it. She should stop talking over people and start listening. She's doing more damage than good!! I'm a registered nurse and I would never dream of talking to people like she does....no matter how much money it makes me!

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Sue R. Canton MI.

I was amazed with all the great reports from the Gulf. I have never trusted or believed anything BP has to say about the oil disaster. It just seems to be impossible that all of this oil has suddenly disappeared and I still have great concerns about all the dispersants that were used.

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Gabie

ms. laura did not apologize. she didn't officially say "i'm sorry". she just said it was wrong what she said. i'm glad she is quitting. she was probably fired if you ask me. as a woman she does not speak for me. she says we should not marry outside our race? i am a latina woman married to a blonde hair blue eye caucasian man. he told me the other night that because of woman like ms. laura, he never married his own race. btw where did ms. laura get her degree? in the north pole?

August 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The government lied because they were getting so much heat over their response. They tried to say, hey it's not that bad to cover the ineptitude of the response.

August 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |