August 12th, 2010

Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Doctor Laura Schlessinger's n-word rant. What she said to an African American caller on her radio show about race, interracial marriage, and the N-Word over and over again. And what she is saying about it now. Plus, keeping them honest, more on the allegations of terror babies taking aim at the U.S. You'll hear from the Congressman who claims he got the information from a former FBI.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nina

Good Night Anderson Cooper, 360 team and bloggers. Have a wonderful evening

August 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Kenya

Enjoyed the discussions today. Have a lovely weekend everyone...team 360, Megan, moderators, Anderson H. Cooper-great to have you back on our chat after so long. You did good today! 🙂

August 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Have a great weekend. Anderson, you must be exhausted after such a bizarre group of yelling guests.

August 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

I don't think i would still be in the water if a shark is circling me while Im on a board! I do not want to be mistaken for a seal!

Have a good night everyone!

August 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Enjoy the night!

August 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Emily

Good night Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, & Bloggers! & moderator(s)

Have a great weekend! 🙂

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Robert Stroney

I would be eaten by that shark...and that one...and that.....

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360 Team and fellow bloggers.
    Good show tonight Anderson. Sometimes you have to get a little fiesty.

Stay safe everyone.

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Jacqueline, NY

Good night all! Anderson, look out for Republicans on your way home.

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Monday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!! Have a great weekend!
    Have a good Friday!
    Day of the shot with scary shark I love, Wow! Awesome shot, LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in, for join us tonight! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, great weekend & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you on Monday night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Lori, CA

Brave!

Good night Anderson and Everyone! Sweet dreams!

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Nina

Many Great white sharks in California due to the sea lion population

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Miranda Marchesi Huntington Beach CA United States

hey 360, Anderson, bloggers, fellow tweeps

tonights show was very good and anderson great job staying in control!!!!

love the pilot series of course you know this anderson sweet week of anchoring.

have a wonderful weekend

all the best
    Miranda

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

What beach was that guy surfing from?

August 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Lori, CA

I bet Slater will have mandatory counciling and anger management....if he gets to return.

August 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  16. deb northeast ohio

lowest interest rates for mortgages since 1971 – wow- i have heard that the govt backed loans still only require 3% down – this can not be true?!

August 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  17. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Great show tonight! Very entertaining! Take care everyone! Watch the meteors tonight. Make a wish~ Xo

August 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  18. carolyn j

Goodnight anderson, great show as always. see yah !!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Fiona

I think Laura had a good opportunity to take her comments in a different direction to make her philisophical point, but she lost her way and really messed it up. Then she presented an insincere apology, which just makes things worse. If you listen to her exact words in her apology, you will know that she really isn't apologizing and comes across rather arrogant. I don't know how she is going to make things right, but a sincere apology would be a first start.

August 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX, "Let's fine the employers. What a novel idea~"

I agree, but we should also blame the Mexican govt. for not taking care of its people. I don't hear anyone condemning them.

August 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Lourdes in California

I listened to Laura Schlessinger some time ago and found her to be rude to her caller. Later, I heard she is not a Doctor nor does she have the necessary credentials to be giving advice. After listening to her latest blunder I wonder-How long will she continue to have an audience? Who actually listens to her?

August 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Nina

Unbelievable the rains in Pakistan. Very sad

August 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Jane - Vt

Thanks for a great show. Goodnight everyone.

August 12, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

These reports on the doll study with the parents and children are sensitive. I want every child to be loved and accept themselves and not have anything such as prejudice or even childish teasing to interefere with that. A lot of things for parents to deal with.

August 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Steven - New Orleans

Anderson, I don't know how you kept yourself from laughing hysterically during all of that screaming!

August 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

What is with all the anger tonight? Is it the water.......?

August 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Emily

@Anderson,
    I don't know who you held your cool during that first interview.

August 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  28. lisal -canada

g'nite – interesting evening – have a productive weekend

August 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Debra McDonald

Anderson good job in holding the congressmans feet to the fire. You are my hero. You hold true to your motto that the truth does matter. You are the best at what you do. Enjoy watching you Monday through Friday.

August 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  30. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson~ You've had some Old "Yell"ers on tonight!

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Steph

Thank you Anderson for playing the entire clip. She dug a deeper hole as the tape went on...people who are sensitive should be in interracial marriages...yes, I will take marriage advice and sensitivity advice from the white lady who just repeatedly shouted the N word at the black caller (who was so very brave, by the way).

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Ralph Klinestiver

I think that this idea of killer babies is reminiscent of McCarthyism. This idea of Killer's babies does not benefit the discussion of finding a meaningful outcome to the problems that we are having with illegal immigration. Guys like this are in need of good therapy.

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Irena

A woman who lacks so much compassion should not be in the position of trying to help people who are hurting. What a travesty . I am a family therapist and I cringe everytime I hear her bash someone who is already in a vulnerable state of mind! For the life of me, I can't understand why she is allowed to continue.

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

360, this is a great program tonight but I have to admit I'm a little stressed out after listening to all of these really, really bitter unhappy people. I think I'm starting to understand why some "conservative" voters seem (from my perspective) to be so angry and upset. There's a lot of fear-mongering going on.

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Jeff, NY

The N-word is one of those words that has such a long public history, that Dr. Laura should know about its demoralizing and vulgar connotation. There is no context in which it is acceptable. Maybe she should donate a percentage of her salary from now on to the NAACP.
    And who was that guy from Texas, quacking, without taking a breath, about Terror Babies? Anderson did a great job of maintaining composure–quite impressive.

August 12, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Sheriff Arpaio is an equal opportunity law enforcer. I wish we had someone like him in Ohio.

August 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Sharon Hastings

This show is a hoot, huh? All the guests are angry!!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Derrick

First, I am a young Black man and people are way to sensitive at times about the dreaded "N" word. She had no reason to apoligize, its her opinion and she is entitled to it. If you can't handle talking about it, then don't.

August 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Linda G.

Isn't it time to start getting along for the sake of our children. I think we have to worry more about the children calling each other names and bullying in American schools! Where do the children learn name calling & violence -from the adults!
    Adults need to take care of their relationships at home and not on the radio/television!

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  40. Janis Hewitt

boy Anderson, pretty fiesty night....

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  41. Lori, CA

I think there are plenty of people who are not fulfilling the requirements of the visa that they are here on. We need to have more follow up from US officials when these people are here....similar to social services or parole

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Dani

Sheriff Joe for president!!!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  43. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Why are the illegal immigrants coming here? To get jobs! For Pete's sake. Let's fine the employers. What a novel idea~

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  44. Freeda

@Max: just because you don't see it doesn't mean Al and Jesse are not trying to educate the young on such loose use of the word.

Fact: if you are not black you can never use the word as intended amongst black, simple because something is lost in translation. Why would you want to use it anyway?

August 12, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  45. John, Denton Texas

Anderson,

Why is it that we have to wait until something awful happens that we learn a lesson? For instance 9/11 happens and we all tighten up security everywhere. Then 8 years later we become ignorant to the possibility that it could happen again and at a much larger magnitude? National Security is important and needs to be improved. Why can't there be such a thing as proactive instead of reactive security? Especially since there is nothing more important to our freedom as Americans then our security?

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  46. Tracy Brown - Canada

Lori – I don't think that Canada has a difficulty with people coming in. In fact, the Canada US border is the longest "unprotected" border in the world.

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Florida's proposed anti-illegal immigration law is even more strict. I hope more states follow this trend.

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  48. Jacqueline, NY

Send some people over? What people? Surely, he doesn't mean soldiers.

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  49. deb northeast ohio

learning english is a punishment?

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Emily

@Emily, Colorado Springs
    "I am a licensed psychotherapist..."

I think that your post is good to remind people that Dr. Laura is "an entertainer"... I think she is also a Lic'd MD. so many may not think of her as an entertainer first. That may change now. I don't think that she's going to be forgiven so quickly for these remarks.

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm |