August 12th, 2010

Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Doctor Laura Schlessinger's n-word rant. What she said to an African American caller on her radio show about race, interracial marriage, and the N-Word over and over again. And what she is saying about it now. Plus, keeping them honest, more on the allegations of terror babies taking aim at the U.S. You'll hear from the Congressman who claims he got the information from a former FBI.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Anthony

I personally think it's really arrogant to say blacks are hypersensitive...how could she possibly know how it is to be black and be confronted with being black??how can anybody-except black people- know how it feels??I think white people probably can't understand these kind of things,because they are simply not in a position were they have to face certain "racial challenges" !!!...in fact,as she wanted to bring it to a philosophical point,no one can say how someone should feel about certain things...that's not only about race,that's about anything......it's like if she knew better how the caller should behave...that is absolutely inacceptable....actually just for the reason that a person called her to talk about a problem she is dealing with...if she calls her hypersensitive,I call her a person without sensitivity at all.....and obviously I am right and she is not....

We shall overcome these discussions...but unfortunately it happens again and again and again....

greetings from austria

August 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Karen, MN

Anderson,

You handled him well!

August 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

I think Dr.Laura was very insensitive and really arrogant to keep using the "N" word on her talk show. It is never appropriate for anyone to use such a hateful word!

August 12, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  4. June

Well Anderson...Another good job! You kept your cool with Rep. from Texas....but your blue eyes were saying a lot!..
    You are a gentleman!

August 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Jim H

I think the crux of the matter is that the n-word has contexts too, and that's what's important. So here's the context about how Dr. Laura used it. A caller was having a problem. She found that her neighbor was making remarks she was uncomfortable with, so she, as a "doctor," spent the next few minutes yelling at her and telling her, in effect, that she was really, really wrong, and to shut up! Isn't that the situation here? Is she a doctor or Rush Limbaugh. Jade, the caller, called for advice and she was Breitbarted.

This is the mood of our right-wingers these days, which tells you something. This mood hasn't existed in our culture for 40 years. And it's being created deliberately for political effect.

Dr. Laura was the right-wing replacement for the older psychology shows that discussed people's problems and tried to act professionally.

August 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Daniel Levy

She's on the radio, whatever everyone thinks about it, she should have been smart and realised not to say it over her broadcast. Another thing is okay so one black people say it, that doesn't make it right no matter who says it. There was no need to later go back and talk about it either, and finally I do not believe she was really apologetic, I mean who wants to lose their job right? You get my drift....

August 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  7. ray

Dr. Laura was raked over the coals as she should be for her use of the "N" word . But if comics are using the "N" word on HBO why are they not being raked over the coals also . If Reverand Sharpton is correct and the "N' word is wrong for any one to use why isn't there more outrage shown toward these so called comics. Reverand Sharptons mere mention that it is wrong for anyone to use the "N" word is not nearly enough . Everyone that uses the "N' word should be roundly chastised equally. If it's wrong it's wrong.

August 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

You said it all Anderson

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Emily, Colorado Springs...Thanks for your comments. And, you're right. It's all entertainment. Unfortunately, more and more media believe "dumbing down" the conversation, at someone's expense, for ratings outweighs integrity, moral, and ethical behavior

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Carol

AC, Laura, I won't call her Dr., should be soooo ashamed for what she said, and how she said it to that caller. How offensive. I am a 65 year old white lady, and I will NEVER listen to Laura again. AC, would you please verify that Laura ever apologized, or said I"m sorry? I did hear her say she was wrong, but do not believe I heard her actually apologize. Thanks, Carol

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Lori, CA

How does Canada protect its boarder? I have heard that it is extremely difficult to get in there for an extended stay.

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Alison

Thank you Anderson for your comment. Thank you so much for keeping it real!!! You're one of the very few that does!!! Thank you again!!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Sue R. Canton MI.

my grandson who is 6 yrs. is white,,, interacts daily with kids of all races.
    He asks many questions ,, but has never asked a question about skin color and doesn't seem to care. He says they are his friends.He seems to have no problems with the color of someones skin. So we have never talked to him about race yet..

August 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  14. andersoncnn

Debbie – yes there is birth tourism... and yes foreign nationals with us passports are being recruited, of course. the theory about babies being born here, then spirited overseas to be raised as terrorists so they can return 20 years from now is what i was trying to discuss.

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Janis Hewitt

Talking about serial killers is really taking a walk on the dark side. Can't ignore them – can't stop the first time they kill or can we?

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I like way you rant Rep Louie Gohmert ie being not answer you and I am glad you got him prove wrong terror babies. Yay! Way to go, Anderson!

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Gwen

Hello Anderson, Doctor Laura Schlessinger should not be on the radio. The comments she made was very ignorant and offensive. It's a shame Americans have to listen to this ignorance in 2010. She should be ashamed of herself and I pray for her children if she has any.

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  18. donna

Sadist part is Rep. Gohmert doesn't even realize how absolutely ridiculous he behaved......yelling from the onset of the interview. Never argue with a fool in public – public can't tell which one is the fool. Well done, Anderson, kept pressing the issue of evidence. Anyone else notice he almost looked like he was foaming at the mouth....how embarrassing for Texas. If i were one who voted him in, believe I'd scrap the bumper sticker off quick!

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Aziz, from Saoudi Arabia thankyou for explaning how it works when you want to visit the U.S.

August 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  20. John, Denton Texas

Our national security is in jeopardy. Wake Up! Do we want 9/11/10? Guilty until proven innocent, especially if they are illegal! Our government needs to work on helping the American citizen and worry less about hurting ppl's feelings, especially people's feelings that are from other countries. If you want to live here – you are going to live by our constitutional rules! Reckoning is coming in November.

August 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Alicia

I'm a black woman married to a white man and Dr. Laura's rant made me sick to my stomach. She put all of us into one category. What rappers and comedians say does not represent our entire race!!! Jade's husband should be beat down for allowing racism in his home. This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

August 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Jen R

@ Sandy Koh

Anderson was asking for any evidence at all, such as being able to talk off camera to the supposed former FBI agent who the congressman claims tipped him off. He was not asking for self admitted plotting terrorists.

If the congressman was telling the truth he should be sharing his "source" and data with the FBI (who he has not contacted) and the media.

August 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Alison

Excellent comment worth repeating:

Emily, Colorado Springs August 12th, 2010 10:36 pm ET

"I am a licensed psychotherapist, and I have this comment on Dr. Laura. I think the mistake we're all making is in thinking of her as a professional, ethical therapist – as someone who's intent is to help people. She's not. She's an entertainer, who repeatedly throws her callers under the bus with judgmental and disrespectful responses, then dismisses them without regard to "above all, do no harm.""

Perspective is so important. At the end of the day Ms. Laura is an entertainer. She is NOT paid to help anyone but her employers. What a fruad!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  24. andersoncnn

evening everyone... interesting night tonite, huh? not quite what i expected, was hoping to have a rational conversation.. i guess when you dont have any evidence to support your scary story you just gotta yell loudly. politics today.

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Renee

Marty to answer your question, its not inherently wrong to ask a question, but its the way a question is asked. Guess what all Black people do not think alike.....all black people don't say the n word on a drop at a moment and think that its ok. That's what the caller was talking about......

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Emily

So, for a "serial killer", the first victim sets that pattern?
    That's really eerie stuff...

Yeah, why does someone become a "serial killer"?
    She provided interesting & informative information ... it's very eerie stuff.

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Carol

ILaura, I won't call her Dr., should be soooo ashamed for what she said, and how she said it to that caller. How offensive. I am a 65 year old white lady, and I will NEVER listen to Laura again. AC, would you please verify that Laura ever apologized, or said I"m sorry? I did here her say she was wrong, but do not believe I heard her actually apologize. Carol

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Many children do not like the way they look and have poor self-images. It is not exclusive to black kids.

August 12, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Matt

I used to listen to Dr. Laura's show . . . she's always been rude and insensitive.

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Kathy

I had a very similar experience with my bi-racial child. It was revealed in therapy when she was about twelve that she was afraid of her father when she was five years old. She explained to me then (I had no idea at the time) that the black people she saw on TV were all scary. Accordingly, her dad, whom she hadn't seen in over a year, was scary to her. It broke my heart to hear that!

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Jamil

Anderson,
    You should be commended for covering this topic because racism unfortunately still remains a huge problem in this country. I find it hard to believe that we as (people) continue to look at each other as being different just because of the color of our skin. Many have sacrificed so much in order to change this and its so disappointing to see this kind of behavior.

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Bobby,TN

I am african american and I do not condone the use of the "n" word. I feel that if one person is not allowed to say it than no one should be able to. I believe this is more of a deeper stereotype issue that she has concieved of blacks. I am in a white fraternity and i have made it known that i dont like hearing other people say the "n" word so it should only be fair that I not say it either.

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Sylvia

If the caller had been upset about her husband allowing the neighbor to make sexist or dirty comments in reference to the wife I feel that Dr. Laura's opinion may have been different on the situation. Taking race out of the equation and putting something else negative in it's place puts a new take on the issue. Dr. Laura should've confronted this question like every other and tried to figure out a way to mediate it rather than take the callers problem and make it a podium for her to get out her own issues with black people and the state of race relations. I have a feeling Dr. Laura did not vote for Obama.

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  34. Lori, CA

Serial killers have to be chameleons

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Bruce

Get over it folks – Everyone wants a frank open conversation about race but that will never happen until we all get over these pointless conversations about a word. It is just a world and the fact that no one is outraged that it can be readily heard in music, media, etc. but if someone who is not black says the word in the context that it is used brings out this much outrage, that just indicates that we are not ready for a conversation about race.

August 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  36. teri-ann baker

i think the more we talk about race, the more it will be an issue. if we never went on & on about it, the future generation of kids may never even think its an issue! i had 2 liitle girls in my car going on a play date a few years ago. they were about 6 and 4, one white, one black, the one girl commented that she was black......& the white girl (4), said what do you mean, i'm just lighter than you & your just darker than me. it melted my heart! if we could all just think that way the world would be such a easier place to grow up!

August 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Noah Hayden

More often than not the N-word is used amongst the people it was used to discriminate rather than against them. Isn't it time to for the black community to let the term fade from use?

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. jeremy

If the lady called Dr Laura. She must have been a listener. I doubt she thought the host of the show she called to discuss racial sensitivity was actually racist. Wake up

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Pauletta

I think it's about time that people in general (but in particular non-blacks) grow up and stop with the "well you use so I should be able to." I'm black and the n-word bothers me, but not as much when my own people say it. It's like trying to make the best of an unflattering nickname. Dr. Laura is very typical of the kinds of people who are not familiar with the cultural and identity crisis of black people in America.

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Jayne

"Dr.Laura"-what disgusting comments. Much worse than Don Imus and he lost his job didn't he?

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Karen

Go Anderson! You need to keep them all honest!

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

It just dawned on me that Rep Gohmert compared Anderson Cooper to John Stewart. It's amusing that a "professional" politician would give credence to a comedy show. Talk about insecure and out of touch with reality. THIS is the best we have in our government? People like Gohmert? is this a direct reflection of the people who voted for him?

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Ruth

I believe everyone is overreacting. Why is the word off limits when it is merely mentioned and only when you're white? I agree with Laura and that her caller was hypersensitive. Instead of taking offense at her husband's friends' comments why doesn't she challenge them with a balanced, friendly, humorous reply?

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Debbie

With regards to your follow-up story tonight on "terror babies"...I'm an American who's been living in the Middle East for the last 10 years. When I visit my consulate to take care of visa or passport business, I see mostly "locals" with their blue passport in hand. I know you realize there is "baby tourism", but if you don't think those people with American passports who are truly citizens of other countries are already being "recruited" to do harm in our country, you're in denial. This is a real problem. The time for this to be part of our Constitution is long past. Our world has changed forever, and we have to be willing to adapt to protect our way of life, the way of life people used to come here to take part in. Now they just have their babies here, and go back to their homelands, to keep their options open for later on.

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Brenda

Anderson,
    Great subject manner . Dr. Laura has got to go. She really displayed to the listeners exactly where she is . Why didn't anyone inquire about why or how Dr. Laura NEVER even bothered to answer the poor callers question.? She showed to the world her TRUE colors. ...and I AM WHITE!

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Jen R

@Marty

Because of the history of racism and the history of the n word. There is too much ugly baggage when a non-black person uses it.

Black people have reclaimed the word among themselves, but when they use it that is no invitation for non-blacks to use it.

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Sandy Koh

Anderson – Do you really think potential terrorists using anchor baby strategies for future assaults will admit that is their plan?

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Austin

Marty expressed a very valid point and I agree that, unfortunately, that is the case now in this time. And I also partially agree with Handriel in that Dr. Laura's apology was kind of "staged" in that it seamed kind of like her producers got her to say that.

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Well, it is good that the parents are spending more time with their children about race and hopefully, the context of one character!"

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Kayteee

Not only was she wrong for using the N word, but she was wrong about the way she handled the question. How does she know that this woman was being too sensitive? I don't think I would want a room full of the opposite race asking me questions about why my race feels a certain way! If a woman who was open enough to marry outside of her race says she feels her husband's friends are being a little out of line, I have to take her word for it and offer some advice on that info.

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |