August 12th, 2010

Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Doctor Laura Schlessinger's n-word rant. What she said to an African American caller on her radio show about race, interracial marriage, and the N-Word over and over again. And what she is saying about it now. Plus, keeping them honest, more on the allegations of terror babies taking aim at the U.S. You'll hear from the Congressman who claims he got the information from a former FBI.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. dennis

as a texan,i am ashamed to have him as a speaker

August 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Carnella

If your child has only been exposed only to white kids/peers in school of course the child will only relate to white. He probably doesn't have much exposure to his own race. I don't that child was a good example of a child who should have been tested. It only caused a biased response. Test kids who have been around a diversity of peers.

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Josue

I am appalled by Dr Laura's justification of the "n" word. If you watch HBO, they use the n word, the f word and the list goes on. If anyone in the public eye used the F word on the general news or radio it would be unacceptable and they could get fired for it. Any other argument for using these terms is futile!

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. seddi

how can a judge(congressman) not support his comment on national tv on terror babies,,did he learn anything in law school that comments are to be supported by factual evidence,,,maybe there should be an investigation in all his past cases especially those with minorities

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Emily

That seems to be something that we hear a lot of. When they catch these suspected-serial killers, we hear that they have had contact with the police quite a bit, and usually within a recent period of time. It's very eerie.

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Omar

how many fbi agents speak Arabic, because I am surprised that a middle eastern grandmother could tell an FBI agent that much in English

you say Muslim extremists, a Muslim grandmother would never speak to a male FBI agent because any extremist Muslim woman would never start conversation with a man if shes alone because that is against her religion

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Walter

Hi Anderson,

Thanks for calling out Congressman Louis Gohmert. I think you are really doing important reporting. Comments like terror babies, anchor babies, and calling President Obama a socialist or Muslim makes me feel like we are ushering in a new form of McCarthyism. I can't remember the last time there was this much animosity toward immigrants and people of different faiths. It feels so very un-American to me.

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Umau

Continue the good job Anderson, you nailed the congress man on the ground. He could not defend himself. the whole idea is to spread fear on the American people. Nobody has the time to come here and have a child for the sake of training that baby as a terrorist, that was a stupid idea and a silly comment by the congress man. Our country is the greastest country on the face of the planet. Everybody is trying to come here have the American dream

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Sergio Flores

Anderson, given the fact that he refuses to provide reliable evidence, it proves Rep. Gohmert from Texas has no proof to support his allegations. He must be pals with Rep. Riddle. Shows a lack of professionalism for sure.

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Chi

Cant believe some people think there are terror babies 🙁

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. TEE

Heather you are absolutely correct, the Dr. did "NOT" apologize, she just said it was wrong to say the "n" word. What you really feel inside comes out when you are trying to prove a point.

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Eliana

Anderson, you continue to be one of the best anchors around. Bravo!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Marty

not one white person can even imagine what it is like to grow up being another color nor can a non white do the other. so why is it wrong to ask what another race feels about an issue

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Emily, Colorado Springs

I am a licensed psychotherapist, and I have this comment on Dr. Laura. I think the mistake we're all making is in thinking of her as a professional, ethical therapist – as someone who's intent is to help people. She's not. She's an entertainer, who repeatedly throws her callers under the bus with judgmental and disrespectful responses, then dismisses them without regard to "above all, do no harm."

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  15. taylor

The word should never be used in the first place, but it's used everyday in music, and real life all the time. In a public place such as a mall, you can hear that horrible word all over out of the mouths of black people. The word shouldn't be said from whites, blacks, or any other race. How come no one is coming down on all the rappers and comedians who do use the word?

August 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Lori, CA

The killer does not look like the composite picture.

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. sherry

kudos to anderson for keeping a straight face during his interview on terror babies tonight. but dude congressman from texax needs medication!

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  18. john reck

So I am completely confused. Now as a white person who tries to understand others perspectives, is it not okay to ask for their perspective? I do get perplexed when I turn on BET and I see comedians saying horrible things
    about white people and that is acceptable. all to

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  19. cicly

my eyes are full of tears

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is really sad that a child like Marcus thinks like that. He should be happy to be himself

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

The stunning part of the children's responses were that each question was answered solely on the basis of skin color. It's so sad to see the kids feeling "less than".

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  22. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Marty I get what you mean. Nobody should use the N word. Especially blacks.

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Mark

This doctor is unbelievable, every racist person in America, that gets caught, tries to apologize after the fact. It just goes to show you that this country is still racist, even is the year of 2010.

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

I don't think Dr Laura was trying to offend or hurt anyone with how she brought up the N word, she was clearly saying it's confusing to her to see an black comic using the word and that use being considered acceptable. Though that is a comic, and what's being said is part of an act so it's not like regular conversation. But that aside, I think she dismissed what the caller wanted to talk about. I take her apology to be sincere, though.

August 12, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  25. Lori, CA

Kids pick up on more than we think. This is part of society.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Vickie

What do Black comedians, HBO, and blacks who voted for Obama have to do with the caller's question? Dr. Laura's response was ridiculous.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Karen

Anderson,
    Look at the past stories that you have covered. The representative who tried to yell you down was wrong. He wants to spread his hate towards illegals by lying about them and trying to scare
    Americans. This seems to be a common theme for the republicans. The story about Laura goes to show you how much this country has not changed.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Lily

Thanks for "keeping them honest" tonight Anderson! Great job.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Ash

I think Laura was careless in expressing her thoughts. She stood up for openness but in a wrong manner.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

You can walk into any classroom in this country and find children of all races that don't like the way they look.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Bonnie

About the time Obama was elected, she was on the Larry King Show, I believe. He asked her what she thought of Michelle Obama and her answer was utter and complete silence. That told me all I need to know about Dr. Laura. This does not surprise me in the least.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Cammie, KS

What I get out of Dr. Laura is that we can do something wrong as long as we apologize for it later. Then it all goes away.

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Kasandra

She must go now! Who are the sponsers?

August 12, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Beverly

This Gohmert guy is the biggest idiot I have ever seen. How on earth did he get elected to Congress? Shows how ignorant Republicans are and how they will stoop to anything to spread fear and lies.

And they think with morons like Gohmert they are going to win in November? Gohmert is just like all the Republicans. If you press them for details on anything – they get upset and start criticizing President Obama on some totally irrelevant and false issue.

I hope Americans wake up and look at Gohmert and see if that lunatic is who they want running our govt. He is a dangerous lunatic.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  35. patsy

Just like the rest of the republicans, this congressman is trying to scare the public. The sad thing is the elderly republicans are believing them. I truly believe the majority of Americans are smart enough not to fall for this political stunt.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  36. cynthia

Dr. Laura needs to be taken off air! These people spread hate and ignorance! I respect freedom of speech,but she, rush, bill and glenn r poisoning and dividing our country. "Negativity equals negative results!"

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Helen

The black listeners of the Dr., now know where she stands

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. mel

I will never buy another product that advertises on her show again....never!

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. linda depoe

i don't think Dr. Laura meant to be disrespectful. I do think she went about it the wrong way.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Elena

Anderson, you are the best... you are always looking for the true and the facts.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Thank you Al Sharpton for including homophobia as part of the conversation. I've endured that for more than 30 years and I'm certain I'll endure it for another 30 years.

It's ALL simply stupid, ignorant, and hurtful (whether "intended" or not). Only grossly insecure people participate in these behaviors, and I'll speculate that most of them, like Dr. Laura, don't like themselves.

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Wendy Brown

What is going on in this country? I think Gomer needs to have a psychological exam or a drug test!!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Alison

Yes, she did overlook the callers concerns. She got too caught up in hearing herself say the N-word. She needs to find a new career!

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  44. gabby

Anderson, good job done. It is rather unfortunate that elected officials always use terror scare in order to score political points. They have no evidence but will like to scare people at all times. When i first heard this story on you show , i said to myself that this is no news.
    Keep up with the Good work and i guess it will stop politicians from making up useless stories.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Shame on this child's parents!

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Robert Stroney

Kids & Race: Excellent Show, Anderson! // This doll chart rips my heart out...

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Cat

She owes no one an apology. If we are going to start saying words are off limits to certain people – and threaten their livelyhood if they use them – we will walk a very fine line across the Bill of Rights.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily 'Dr laura didn't "really" apologize..
    No she did not.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Karen, MN

@Robert Your right I never listen to Laura's show. I guess I'm glad I don't.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Jack, Long Island, NY

Some black friends of mine use that word with each other, some of my black friends don't use it and are offended by it no matter who uses it. Gay friends use a certain word with each other, but straight friends do not use that same word with them. Neither word should be used on the radio, regardless of "context". That woman just wanted to say that word over and over. Disgraceful. Thanks for the forum.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |