August 12th, 2010

Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Doctor Laura Schlessinger's n-word rant. What she said to an African American caller on her radio show about race, interracial marriage, and the N-Word over and over again. And what she is saying about it now. Plus, keeping them honest, more on the allegations of terror babies taking aim at the U.S. You'll hear from the Congressman who claims he got the information from a former FBI.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Michael

Let's face it, Andserson. Far too many Americans have become totally insensitive to others. For that reason, Dr. Laura's handling of the n* word didn't surprise me at all.

August 12, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Mike

Dr. should not have used the "N" word but I feel that the fact that she was referencing the use of the "N" word as heard on HBO has to be taken with some knowledge and understanding by all the listeners that it was only a reference and not directed at anyone or any group of people as negative.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Mariam

Hypersensitive, then you shouldn't be in an interracial marriage? That was really rash of her to say. You can't help who you fall in love with. Hearing those comments were really upsetting.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. George

Dr. Laura's massive out of control ego got her into trouble - yet again. It amazes me how a little celebrity seems to give these talking heads so much unearned credibility

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Carnella

It;s pretty obvious she was not politically correct in her response. I don't defend Dr. Laura at all. I do hope however blacks would stop using the word, but that will never happen. It's not Dr. Laura's job to offer her opinion as she often does but to offer an effective solution. Something that she did not do. She just lost it pretty much. Out of the heart the mouth speaks. Her heart had a lot to say about race and it wasn't pretty. She just totally lost it and started talking about the President and everything. She must have had that bottled up for some time.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Marty

why is it that a black person can use the N worn in any way for any reason and it is ok but a non black useses it and the world has come to an end.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Shadex

Real life is not a comedy show.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Handriel

not only did she digress from what the caller (Jade) was talking about, she completely derailed and went on a racist rant. in my opinion, an apology, which didn't sound like it came from the heart is not enough. I would expect more from somebody with higher education, and a long track record of live radio.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Austin

My expressed opinion on this situation is that Laura was just trying to make a point and was using the word in context with her point. She did apologize and that was a very mature decision to make. Now, one more thing that I might add is that I find it kind of interesting that two african americans can use the N word when talking to each other and it is in context of affection, but if a Caucasian says it to an African American then it is considered racist. Those are my thoughts.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. derrick h

i would just like to ad that i am not racist one bit, there is hate out there, and for all of the wrong reasons, skin color is absolutely not one of those reasons to hate anyone. race is simply a copout for people who feel unfulfilled with their own person lives that they decide to push the hatred they have for themselves onto others through race.

August 12, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Scott

Mr. Sharpton is correct in addressing the issue of Blacks also being wrong in using the N-word. The double standard present needs to disappear. The meaning and depth of the word does not change no matter who uses it. Dr. Laura may have voiced her own de-sensitization to the word with her usual over-bearing rhetoric.

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Lynne - Seattle Area

That politician was way over the top! Anderson was right, all he wanted to do was yell, he didn't want to provide any information. I think he also wanted to be able to go onto Fox and say Anderson was mean to me! I am shocked and appalled that a former judge would go on that kind of a rant without evidence, because you know darn well, he would have kicked a lawyer out of his court for doing something like that back in the day.

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  13. silvia

Regarding the N word by Dr Laura that was wrong 100% and now we are talking about it and everyone is on anderson coopers show ranting and they are so appalled what about when the black artists say the n word why don't we get on their backs just as bad as we are on Dr Laura's?????? I think we should be outraged but not only when a white person says it whenever anyone says it!!!!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Adam

I hate Laura but she is right here in the double standard but I also agree with the Rev. who is noting her disdain and obvious bias. Either way if this gets her off the air it will be a super, duper good thing. After all she is such an arrogant woman.

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"She still said the N-word. I am not so quick to accept her apology because she had to get the N-word in one more time!"

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Toyalise, CA

@ Paul and @ Max

if it's an ignorant term, why doesn't it matter if someone else says it??? if it's "not ok," why subject yourself to the term to defend people who use it because of their race?? no it's not right when black people say it, but it's not an excuse to give withes the green light to say it either

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, Good point there, Laura Schlessinger took apology to us and she was wrong thng to say, she wasn't supposed say toward black people as racist.

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Elizabeth

Here's just my point of view as a woman. If someone calls me a b***, whether they are a female or male, I am going to be offended. So, I do have to wonder why african americans can call each other n**'s (whether on HBO, comedies, etc.) and it is okay, but when one person out of that race does it, it's offensive. Make up your mind, America! If it's offensive, it's ALWAYS offensive and unacceptable. If it's okay for some, it's okay for all. Otherwise, it smacks of hypocritical to me.
    Just for the record, I think it should be offensive and unacceptable all the time.

August 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Emily

Dr. Laura didn't "really" apologize. After all, she blamed The Caller for what happened and that her (Dr. Laura) was not able to get the point across that she wanted to because that Caller was too sensitive.

August 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Helen

The worst thing this woman said was "you should not marry outside your race". I thought this law was settle in 1956.

August 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Christine

What I'm getting tired of is the use of racial slurr's becoming headline news. It seems the best way to get your name noticed is to attack an ethnic group, then apologize. Arent there more important issues facing the world today?

August 12, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Carlyn, Dominica

I think this study was necessary. i hope with the data collected that something can change with the way people treat each other and refer to each other when children are present and in general

23. Anna

The congressman should be held accountable for spreading false statements reference terror babies. He and others are creating a panic and it could endanger the safety of immigrant women and thei babies in us. He needs to be arrested for making such an accusation.

24. Robert Stroney

If you are surprised that Dr. Laura has behaved this way, Karen, MN - then you do not know Dr. Laura. She has always been one who - in-sites anger.

25. Gerry Dowler

Well done Anderson! You are the first and only reporter that I have heard lately call someone out about their rediculous comments and total lack of evidence! You reminded me tonight of Edward R Morrow! It is refreshing to see the media finally debunking some of the nonsense that is currently being thrown around in the house of representatives and on the airwaves! Keep it up!

26. Jan Little

"Doctor" Laura was dismissive and rude both to this women and to all African-Americans. Let's talk about blaming the victim. She should not be on the air.

27. Renee

The other problem is that she is supposed to be a professional and what does that mean? How can she as a professional be effective?

28. Daaena

Dr laura !!
    has some kind of issues..
    i mean clearly she got a thing against african american..
    i bet if a white person had called she would've been extremely sweet like sugar!!
    she needs to go to that caller's house and say SORRY!!!

29. Krasi

It's not the word that's offensive; it's the way the word is used that makes it offensive. That's one word that people will always argue over. And I have this feeling that the dispute will never be resolved.

30. Ali

She is right..... we should not have double standards. However, "n" word should never be used.... specially by famous black artists.

31. Folsom, CA

Wow! The underlying racial tendencies just came out like a charging bull! She made some despicable comments, especially about not marrying interracially. I hope she's pulled from the radio. At the very least, her advertisers ought to be pulling out as fast as they can.

Worse, that was the lamest, most insincere apology I've ever heard. Pure damage control. Maybe she has the same PR agency supporting her that BP's Tony Howard used.

32. Nina

Laura Schlessinger only apologized because of public outrage....

33. Nereida G.

Good evening Anderson! As per Dr. Laura, "It was a black thing?" "N, N, N word?" "Being oversensitive?" What is wrong with this woman? Using this word in any context is wrong period!

34. Umau

It is shameful for Dr. Laura to have made such a stupid statement. We know blacks use the N word, but that should not have made her to make some of those inappropriate comment. Shame on you Dr. Laura. I will never listen to your radio program.

35. Heather - Spokane, WA

I don't think it's ok for anyone to use that word, I don't care what color you are. You don't use any type of slander towards anyone

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  36. ishmael

For once i agree with Rev. Al Sharpton. He still doesn't represent me or my thinking.

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Jacqueline, NY

What is going on with Dr. Laura?! Could she, herself, be a racist?

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Jonathan

Great reporting Anderson! Congresman Gohmert is playing the fear card with no proof. Keep them honest!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Nicole The Netherlands

Don't marry out of your race, that's a way of thinking.....

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Karyn in NC

She's not sorry...what is she talking about...don't marry out of your race...she clearly is racist!

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Lori, CA, I can't tell you where the "n" word came from, but it is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Emily

That was even worse! (telling her that she should not have married out of her race, and that she was hyper-sensitive)

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Jamie

Great show!!! Why to dig at the truth and expose a fear monger to the public.

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Brianna

This lady can not really be a doctor!!

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Caardel

As an African American man I never use the N-word. It is a word that should never be used by anyone.

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  46. john

Dr. Laura was right on and she was not disrespectful. She was just telling " the way it truly is " in the real world. Keep it real and not always so PC.

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Robert Stroney

This is a typical "story" for "Dr. Laura" – she inflames!

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Max

where is Al and Jesse when black comedians use the "N" word? Never have I seen them jump all over them.

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Nina

Laura Schlessinger is not only foolish but borders on outrageous! People in the media have a responsibility to deliver non racist point of views. We are already a divided country. She reminds me of Rush baby!

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Karen, MN

I'm surprised that Laura behaved that way.

August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm |