August 11th, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque Controversy: Join the Live Chat

A mosque planned just two blocks from the World Trade Center site. Protesters say don't build it near hallowed ground. But, as you'll see, there's growing pressure, all across the country, not to build any mosque, anywhere. Plus, Steven Slater, the most famous former flight attendant on the planet. He's speaking out about his JetBlue breakdown

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. LaSonya TN

Look at the type of stuff we got to deal with?

August 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Lori, CA

I have heard that serial killers often drive dark vehicles. Beware.

August 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

As for the modern day "Bonnie and Clyde", knowing they have a romantic relationship and yet are cousins is disgusting....ewwwww!

August 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Nicole The Netherlands

What do the survivors, family of victims of 9/11 want, what do they think about this mosque?

August 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Ulysses in California

As a disabled Gulf War Marine Veteran, who is also Muslim, I find it so very hypocritical of those who profess to adhere to a religion which root teachings are of that of tolerance, are so oft the ones who get so much media attention. This really only serves to fan the flames of ignorance. My patriotism is unquestionable and not a day goes by that I don't think about those I served with, those who paid the ultimate price for OUR country, and those who are engaged in combat as we speak. We should refuse to allow the ignorant and intolerable few to have such a voice.

August 11, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Lilly

Hi!
    I believe that the Mosque near Ground Zero is fine. I am 14 and Catholic, but I think the Muslim religion is actually very interesting. I have been to Turkey and I have been in many Mosques there and have observed this beautiful religion. Also, Jesus came to this earth to bring peace and remind people of religion. Now people, who are more extreme Christians, use him to have a bases for why other religions are wrong. Isn't Christianity based on forgiveness and understanding?
    Anyways, saying that the Muslim religion is a lie because they don't believe in Jesus is saying that Judaism, Hinduism, etc.. are a lie. Personally I believe they are not a lie.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Joyce

As a mother of a young man who will soon be deployed to fight terror in Afghanistan, I am stunned that the mosque near ground zero is even up for debate. Terrorist groups will certainly view this as a symbol of victory and a monument in their honor at the site of one of their most heinous crimes. We must first love ourselves as Americans, honor the family members of the world trade center victims, and support the mission of our troops overseas. This decision, even if well intentioned, does none of these things.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Cedric McDaniel

I am glad Fareed returned that award. I am a 37 year old African American from Alabama. When are we going to stop this racism. America was not built on these principles. It is ridiculus. People can pray how they want. It's disturbing to think a man of God would come on your show and talk about a certain group of people (Muslims) who believe in God (Allah) should be treated as second class citizens.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. cicly

how excellent. anderson with fareed. 'been listening to fareed since his days on pbs.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Kumi Wickramasinghe

Dear Mr. Anderson,
    I was just watching your interview with Rev. Ben? (I hope I got that name correctly). I beg to differ from his cooment "...all terrorists are muslims...". I am a Sri Lankan and the terrorist leader Prabhakaran of the LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam) who waged a war for over twenty five years and killed and maimed millions of people (both Tamil and Sinhalese and Moslems) was NOT a Muslim. He was a Tamil Christian at birth.
    he should be educated to be truely a reverend and preach Love, tolerence and Peace. That is what the Buddha preached.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Megan

All of this dialogue about the mosque isn't dialogue at all. It's bigotry vs truth. Except for the days during and after 9/11, I've never been more sad to be a New Yorker.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Ahlam

Islam is about peace please don't blame us for the actions of terrorists Islam is innocent and a real Muslim will never and can never be a terrorist, A real Muslim will be the best US citizen because he or she lives by Share3a law that teach us to be good to human beings, animals and even to the trees and the earth.

August 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  13. allan ignatius

nobody has the right to tell people of another religious belief what to do.
    I am a christian in a muslim country and yet i am free to practice my religion.

August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I love the honesty with which Fareed speaks.

August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  15. michelle -Georgia

@ Marc that is a sad thing! " new yorkers don't care"!

August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Lee

Why does Anderson get so excited when a group that is against Sheriah Law is exercising there 1st ammendment right to speak out against this? Aren't all "Americans" entitled to speak their minds? Or is it only Muslims that can speak their minds and not get critisized?

August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Lori, CA

Freedom of religion does not preclude enforcement of other Constitutional Amendments, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or other laws. I strongly disagree with anyone who says they can do anything they want in the name of religion. They can not.

August 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Gloria-"I don't want to be part of a religion that kills in the name of religions!"

Politics and religion have been mixing since either was created so unfortunately every religion has killed in their name

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Heather – Spokane, WA, "Timothy McVeigh was an american and so was the unabomber and the DC sniper"

And there were 19 terrorists involved in the 9/ll attack alone.

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Dulcie - Denver

I'm really appalled at the hate spewed on AC360 the last few nights. I agree that it's insensitive to build a mosque at Ground Zero, but the Rev. is way, way, way off base. I personally know muslims who are very good people and neighbors.

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Libby, Anchorage ~

I think the fleeing flight attendant is enjoying his new found fame.. LOL.

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Nicole The Netherlands

A terrorist group from the seventees in Germany where anarchists.. The Rote Armee Fraktion...

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gloria,
    Me either, I don't involved to part Muslim man's religion......... I agree.

August 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. jasmine

I really can't believe what I'm hearing! I'm a Muslim myself and living in a land which promises the "American Dream", the "freedom of speech" and "freedom to practice religion", I really cannot believe that there are people who believe that religion is a method to force death and is a lie!!! Which religion would EVER support death or terror? Furthermore, I cannot believe that a reverend is going on tv and stating that Islam is "an ideology" and a "lie". Shame on him. Promising to God that he would only help the people but doing the opposite! How would you feel is we went on tv on easter or protest outside churches stating that Christianity is a lie? You should first consider your history before making remarks about others! Generalizing about a couple of extremists cannot and will NEVER make a statement about everyone!

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Sweta

All my life I heard Christians suppose to love everyone. Practice what you preach.

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Aditya

Just the mention of this mosque is bringing up hatred. How is it ever going to bring peace between people of different faiths? What was the need? Why this location? Why now?

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Monica

It seems like we are heading for a modern day inquisition.

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Emily

@Dennis
    It's awful to read that "there are voters who actually believe Ms. Riddle" ... to know that so many would really have bought what she said. That really is sad! I hope that the majority doesn't and she is not re-elected with those views of "terror babies".

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Watch out for people who go to extremes with any belief. When people start burning things, condemning other beliefs, and making pronouncements about what is evil, watch out because they start to sound like the very people they condemn.

August 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

Terrorism has existed prior to muslim terrorists, rampant throughout Europe.

I don't see why there is any problem with people following Islam as a religion in the US. And the beliefs of violent extremists can't be ascribed to the adherents of a whole religion.

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Malik

I came to us bc its the most unbiased place ,allowing ads on buses is spreadngh hatred and i feel so bad but i ll contnue to beleve in here bc that is what i see around and i love the us for it is and ll never hate it bc of these people they are palinly spreadng hatreed esp among growing chldren i ve a 5 yr old girl

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Kirk

I honestly can't believe what was coming out of the Reverend's mouth, "a lie from the pit of hell", "all terrorists are muslim"? I'm not religious at all and feel this kind of hate has absolutely no place in american life. There are acts of terrorism from every religion. Come on people, quit generalizing and get to know your neighbors.

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Michael

@Jo Ann

You wrote: "...I think the building of the 9/11 mosque in that particular area is more about insulting the victims of 9/11 and the American people."

Firstly, it's not called the "9/11 mosque"; it may be built close to ground zero, yes but how is that an issue? On what evidence do you base the claim that it's "...about insulting the victims of 9/11...?". Have you not considered the possibility that there are other, more peaceful perhaps, motives Muslims have for building the mosque there?

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

In my opinion, the towers should have been rebuilt just as they were, but stronger.

As I said earlier this mosque is being built as an insult to the victims that died there. "Two long NYblocks" away is not far enough.

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Brad Ohio

I would like to shake the hand of the author who got it right in his last statement. Our country is founded on principles of freedom of religion, and for the Christian Reverand to smite billions of people who don't happen to be Christian, to me, is just not Christianlike.

August 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Laura Grillo

It is nice to see that CNN does not use scare mongering tactics. Usually in the media we are taught to fear. This fear causes hysteria and hate. I am not a Muslim but it infuriates me when I constantly hear anti Muslim propaganda. It is just stupid. There never seems to be any happy medium. Why can’t we live together peacefully?

August 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Fareed is brilliant and always compelling.

August 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  38. geri

then why arent our children allowed to pray in school if muslims are allowed to have a mosque?

August 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Lori, CA

Personally, I think that what is most offensive about the extremists is that purpose of imigration has been to seek/have a better life. These people are coming here to destroy life here.

August 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  40. John Public

I can't find any other words to say than "Wake up America"!

August 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Frank

Are the 3 main religions struggling today Jewish religion, Islamic religion and Christian religion all based on the same God? Do they all come from the same source? Jesus Christ was Jewish. Though Islam was formed by a Jesus close relative – is it not? Is this not the very same reason we cannot reason? Are we going back to the crusades? Cain and Abel at war again?

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. maureen

Another fine example of a religious "leader" promoting hatred and intolerance. Is this what Jesus would do?

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Nancy in Oregon

That's how I feel, Emily. Really, no church should be stationed right on the brink of such tragedy....too many implications there. So I'd curb them all...make them stay back a certain number of blocks or something. Not let any single church stake out a claim.

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, Good point there.

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This anti-Muslim trend reminds me of how Japanese citizens were treated during WWII.

August 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Marc, NYC

The truth is that the majority of New Yorkers really don't care if they build a Mosque near ground zero. It's all the nuts from everywhere else!!!

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  47. jerry

im not a muslum and i dont believe in that religion in fact i dont believe in religion at all i believe in having a relationship with christ.anyway people have the right to worship who and where they want by saying this by no shape or form am i supporting this relion im being realistic

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  48. sesan

If the 9/11 terrorists were christian and this was a church been proposed, will this issue be this prominent? Like kris craig said, it wasn't islam that attacked the US.

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Sue R. Canton MI.

I don't know how this mosque can offer any healing to the victims and the families of 911. Yes there are extremists in every faith. If they have been offered property a little further from ground zero,,,why won't they except it?. I'm still a little confused on how I feel about this.

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Barb

The monsters who bombed us on 9/11 were extremists. All of the muslims can't be stereotyped as terrorists. What century are we in? I thought I lived in America where I was free to peacefully practice my religion. I am christian but am outraged at the way fellow 'christians' are acting towards innocent people and cultures. Let's open our hearts and love our brothers from all parts of the world. That's what 'Jesus' would do.

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |