August 11th, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque Controversy: Join the Live Chat

A mosque planned just two blocks from the World Trade Center site. Protesters say don't build it near hallowed ground. But, as you'll see, there's growing pressure, all across the country, not to build any mosque, anywhere. Plus, Steven Slater, the most famous former flight attendant on the planet. He's speaking out about his JetBlue breakdown

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Shawn

All terrorists are Muslims? What about the IRA they were not Muslims.

August 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"I don't want to be part of a religion that kills in the name of religions!"

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

@JoAnn, Timothy McVeigh was an american and so was the unabomber and the DC sniper

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Sam T

I respect Fareed and he is American Hero. He speaks true and does not have double standard like others.

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

Oh Jack, people so often do harm 'for God'...more than I want to even think about.

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Janine from PA

This guy is confusing Godless murderers with those who truly practice Islam..

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not loyal to any religion, but I can't remember the last time I heard of any Christian terrorists killing in the name of Christ. You used to hear about terrorists in Ireland, but not anymore.

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  8. LaSonya TN

I agree Nancy, All is equal. Equality for all. we might not like each other but this is OUR country.

August 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Mike - Las Vegas

The Mosque is two long New York blocks from Ground Zero. Most of the ignorant posters that are against it probably couldn't waddle that distance anyways. How close will you allow it? Three blocks? Four?

You should be more upset that the towers haven't been replaced with anything yet and that the planned memorial was scaled back and not yet built either.

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kelly, Harrisburg, PA

Um, were all Catholics in the IRA?

Yes, They are.

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Rachel Long

The excuses the protesters are giving doesn't pass the test. They say that they are protesting because Islam does not believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died on the cross. However, these are some of the same beliefs that Jehovah Witnesses have–but I don't see anyone protesting them. I am a Christian, and as such we are to love everyone. So are we practicing what we preach or have I missed something?

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Emily

@Kenya,
    I think that Anderson and the 360 Team has great interviews.
    He always asks the questions to get to the truth.

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Dulcie - Denver

Whoa! I understand that this Reverend has his beliefs but that's no excuse.

Um... not all terrorists are Muslim. The IRA has had its terrorists as well, but not all Irish are terrorists.

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Libby, Anchorage ~

I think the definition of the word "terrorist" means only "Muslim" to some people with narrow minds. What about people like Timothy McVeigh and others like him?

August 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Di Berube

Aren’t all religions’ fundamentally the same? They all ask that we treat each other as we’d like to be treated and all religions have extremists and that is a human fault not a religious one.

August 11, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  16. LaSonya TN

It appears that people who dislike another group is not well educated in their own history.

August 11, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

It appears that peaceful coexistence and tolerance of one another despite our differences is a far-away notion that may never come to fruition. Sad...

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Emily

@Jo Ann,

I don't think that any new House of Worship should be built near the site of Ground Zero. As a Catholic, I would never pray in that Church if it was built there. I'd have no respect for the Vatican if they built a new one there. With all the people that died just 2 blocks away, of all faiths, I wouldn't be able to do it.

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Wow! The guy speaking about religion and what people should feel about it, is crossing the line big time...

I am not a muslim but I know for fact that Islam teaches peace as much as any other religion! Its the weak and opportunistic that used the legions within the religion and have changed the context around!

Unfortunately, the exploitation went that far that the #s prove otherwise today, but thats not to say, it cannot change tomorrow!

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Preventing a religious organization from building in a particular place is just a version of keeping people in a box by taking away their freedoms (kind if like being in a reverse internment camp, so to speak).

This (protesting) guy being interviewed is absolutely out of gas from the first words. He's simply trying to assert that HIS is the only religion. I absolutely do not believe in religion, but I do defend the right of people to practice religion, as wrong as I think it is.

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  21. arien

i think this man the Rev Flip does not know anything about having a freedom to practice any faith that one chooses. it is a sad that we have people like him in this year of 2010

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

I really think that there should be no discrimination about what church builds where. If all other churches, including 'the lunatic fringe' types (and they exist!) would be allowed to build x-number of blocks from the 911 site, then so should mosques. I would decide what the perimeter should be....the number of blocks from the site....and then enforce it for any or all churches. I'd also put that perimeter out far enough so that each of those churches has some elbow room-so they aren't harrassing each other on their way in to worship! If a Presbyterian church is allowed on that site, then a mosque should also be. If not, then not.

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Kenya

So is the Reverend's issue what Islam does NOT believe about Jesus? Man...I just love these interviews Mr. Cooper.

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, " If I go there, I play by their rules....or else I chose not to go (which happens too!)"

I agree. Illegal immigrants are not coming here because they love this country, they are coming here for the benefits they can take advantage of. I am esp. incensed by people like "Lupita" who have no respect for our laws or our country.

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  25. vic , nashville tn

When we will separate religion from politics?

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Michelle McCrae

I don't understand the controversy over mosques when Ground Zero is still an empty, miserable crater in the ground almost ten years after 9/11. Why is that not more newsworthy?

August 11, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Kristen

Jo Ann – How is it defiance??? There is already a mosque 2 blocks away that has been there for 40 years. The people responsible for 9/11 may have been Muslims, but they were very radical Muslims.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, and I am certain Muslims working in the World Trade Center who weren't radical were murdered that day.

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

The woman in Gary Tuchman's report is not certain that she and her family will come to the US to stay. But she is clearly concerned about the future in Mexico.

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Alvaro

Dear Mr.Cooper-
    im 43 years old, i see your program a lot. The first time i came to this country was when i was 8 years old, my father went to school here and so did my relatives. And we learned how the american people care about human beings. I can't believe the comments from some officials from Texas that they say that right now, the kids born in america and go back to different countries or europe are going to be terroists when they grow up. Everybody comes to America to have a better life, and have freedom that is the constitution. The republican party trys to scare everybody to win the elections. Keep your great work, and i hope nobody who is american but have family from other countries, they vote for a repuplican. Thank you.

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  30. LaSonya TN

Thank you Wallace. the religion itself did not attack us, we are a multi religion country

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Janis Hewitt

Well all these pregnant immigrants and Islamic mosque builders are out to get us. Are we becoming a nation of paranoids? Dick Cheney started something really weird in this country. When I was a kid it was atomic bombs and aliens from outer space. Why are we so afraid? Do we need to create new monsters since the cold war is over?

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Timothy Colomba

This guy is really portraying a poor image of what the actual message of Christianity is. These "bible belt" Christians are seriously going in the wrong direction. The message is that church should not be an institution, but instead, an expression of God.

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  33. lisal -canada

i really like what this fellow just said about religion and violence. and by the way, with all these different religions out there, which one is REALLY the 'RIGHT' one? a bit of a rhetorical question, but what exactly makes any specific religion wrong or right? lack of violence, corruption and hypocracy? and which one would THAT be???

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Nancy

Anderson how can we get the interfaith center at ground zero idea to really happen?

August 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Chris in Chicago

There already is a mosque 4 blocks away that was there before the towers were even built(1970). What about christian terrorists? no one calls all of us christians terrorist because of some crazy freaks...People are so ignorant.

August 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Lisa in Louisville,KY

Islam is a religion that's main tenent is peace. There are extremests is every faith tradition. What about Charles Manson? What about David Karesh (sp?)? The 5.8 Muslim Americans are good enough Americans to pay taxes.

August 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Jack

People have killed in the name of Christ

August 11, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Abbie-Alabama

After the baby's birth, they returned to their home country, leaving their medical debts unpaid. This manipulation of the system is unfortunately a common, real problem in our country. This is a drain on our economy and on taxpayer dollars.

August 11, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Most terrorists that I have heard about are Muslim.

August 11, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Emily

Yeah, and Judaism says that "Jesus has not been born yet" ...
    they are still waiting for Him to return...

Btw,
    There are Many Catholic Terrorists! This guest knows nothing outside of America...such as what has been going on in Ireland...

August 11, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Kelly, Harrisburg, PA

Um, were all Catholics in the IRA?

August 11, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. wallace white

Please tell your viewers that approx. 800 Muslims died in the Twin Towers tragedy. The perpetrators were almost all Saudi Arabians, America's "friend".

August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Lori, CA

The Constitution also protects public health, safety, and welfare through the 10th Amendment.

August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. vic , nashville tn

election year I didn’t think we will talk about Mosque, 14th amendment
    What message we are sending to the world ?

August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't want Mosques build next door Zero ground either, I don't think good idea.

August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  46. LaSonya TN

There are other religions that doesnt beleive in Jesus, so whats the difference?

August 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Not all terrorists are muslim

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Ari NJ

Anderson-
    Thank you for doing the very hard work of exposing the truth here, and reminding people about the First Amendment. This xenophobia is very scary and the notion of it generally threaten all minorities. Thank g-d for the constitution because majoritarianism today would be scary. 70% of Americans don't want a mosque at ground zero??? Wow ! The terrorists did win. 🙁

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"We The People free of speech, and don't force your speech on me!"

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Libby, Anchorage ~

I sure wish all of Anderson's guests would answer his questions. Amazing how many try to skate the toughies.

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |