August 11th, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque Controversy: Join the Live Chat

A mosque planned just two blocks from the World Trade Center site. Protesters say don't build it near hallowed ground. But, as you'll see, there's growing pressure, all across the country, not to build any mosque, anywhere. Plus, Steven Slater, the most famous former flight attendant on the planet. He's speaking out about his JetBlue breakdown

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am not against freedom of religion, but I think the building of the 9/11 mosque in that particular area is more about insulting the victims of 9/11 and the American people.

It is an act of defiance against the United States.

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

It's so hard to imagine, Jo Ann....I can't imagine going someplace else, even as a visitor, and not making every attempt to learn the language, the rules, the money, the laws, the values. I think in terms of being in someone else's home, I guess. If I go there, I play by their rules....or else I chose not to go (which happens too!)

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Oh no, this whole mosque thing is getting out of control. There is so much hate floating around lately. It worries me. I can understand some of the feelings in New York with that specific issue but how that translates to people in Florida burning the Koran I don't get.

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Derrick

Check with the IRS. They're the authority on all religions.

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Abbie-Alabama

On the subject of illegal immigration and "anchor babies" such as Lupita's son from tonight's AC360...My husband and I personally know a couple (former colleague of my husband) who planned their pregnancy intentionally so that the baby would be born while they visited the U.S. on a tourist visa. They wanted their child to have dual citizenship to have "options" for the future.

August 11, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. beeba

a synangogue in my neighbohood in jersey city has been converted into a mosque- no protests or publicity – great example of secular America

August 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

If some people are truly for the constitution and all it stands for then those people should have respect for others who are different from themselves and not favor just people like themselves. The constitution stands for freedoms for ALL people, not just certain people

August 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Janine from PA

What is disturbing about a story like the terror babies is that people will believe these lies and the ones spreading the lies are looked at as those who are protecting us with their fear mongering.

August 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Nicole The Netherlands

Well some guy named Wilders got 24 out of the 150 seats in parliament here almost only on his anti- islam agenda....

August 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  10. jeff lambert

while I am concerned about some of the Islamic faithful I am not comfortable with changing the Constitution we have based our government on for 234 years. The idea that we have a great need to change our Constitution and do it quickly and in a rush is dangerous to our country more than Muslims or mosques are a danger to us.

August 11, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Nancy in Oregon

(Mitzy, I also tend to think this kind of person will continue using others in every way she can, not just Americans.)

August 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Emily

If I were Islamic, I would not want to worship in that Mosque that they want to build near Ground Zero...

I think it's awful about all these others that are protesting the building of Mosques.

August 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Libby, Anchorage ~

Hmm. I actually thought the location of the proposed mosque would be right at Ground Zero, not 2 blocks away. See how much you learn watching Anderson!

August 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  14. LaSonya TN

They should be allowed to buiold a Mosque there, they wasnt responsible why are we blaming the whole american muslim community?

August 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Rodney

Anderson
    Did about what the Catholic and the others did around the world years ago. People wouldn't want to ban them from any areas. We build churches and promote them all over the world. What's fair for one should be fair for another. Lets ask where the money comes from all churches as well, they may come from white racist group.

August 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

Mitzy, I think AC knows about that. I really do. It's just so usery....but then there are lots of people in the world who use others.

August 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Nancy

Can't seem to get on this chat.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Chris, "Why not learn English, lady."

From what I understand, many hispanics are unwilling to assimilate which only adds to the problem.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Chris

Perhaps a pregnancy test should be required prior to granting a visa, and then grant visa for no more than 4 months.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Monica, Akron Ohio

Instead of one giant Mosque, Temple or Church near Ground Zero, why not build a cultural education center that represents all religions. This center can hold educational opportunities to educate all visitors on our common human beliefs, as well as how to live peacefully and freely among diversity.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Janis Hewitt

I think granting citizenship to children born of legal immigrants under certain conditions – they don't arrive pregnant . Need to have a firm definition of what constitutes a "legal" immigrant. Lawmakers can find a good compromise for all this "repeal an ammendment to the Constitution!! omg, omg" talk

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Abbie-Alabama

Good evening all!

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Sue R. Canton MI.

The 14th ammendment gives citizenship to all people born in the USA . So many illegal immigrants know our constitution better than many people born and raised here and so many of them are entering our country for the wrong reason and are abusing our system.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Sam T

14th Amendment should be modified in current circumstances.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Lori, CA

We really need to lock down the border and follow up with people who are here on extended stays. Also, I think that hospitals have the responsibility to work with officials to report women who are having babies here.

August 11, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Brad Ohio

If Rep. Riddle has information about "terror babies" then why the heck is she not talking to Homeland Security? or Homeland Security talking to her!!! Wow!

August 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Lupita certainly worked the system to her advantage. Interesting that she mentioned if things in Mexico down the road get worse...I thought there were bad issues going on there now. I guess she's looking for an out later on with the help of her American-born son. Too bad she can't be of better help in her country to make it a better place.

August 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "So this woman deliberately broke the law and she doesn't care."

I was watching it stunned! What way is that to bring a child into the world?
    What an awful example of a parent...breaking the law right from the start, as if it doesn't apply to her...

August 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Now this is a more worthwhile discussion. I can understand a mother's desire to want the best for her child. I'm not sure how we stop everyone from getting over the border, though. I guess that's the better discussion.

August 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Heather - Spokane, WA

I cann see pregnant women having kids in the U.S if they are from another country for dual citizenship like the parents have dual citizenship, but what I am not understanding from this story is that they still live in Mexico and her son has dual citizenship, and she says if they have to immigrate it will be easier for her son, what about her? How is that going to be easier for her?

August 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Mitzy

Mr. Cooper, did you hear about the 60,000 babies born from illegal aliens in Texas in one year, add the rest of the states special California, and who pays for them??? WHY????

August 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Lori, CA

Gary's piece was good wasn't it?

August 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Martina

I personally will have great happiness when the election year is over. When the fear mongering politicians have gotten their votes they will drop kick all the people that supported that lunacy to the curb.
    When I think I have heard it all, there is one more story, and one more step closer to lunacy.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Lupita" is a criminal and she is willing to repeat her crime. Something tells me that there are a lot more "Lupitas" out there than the government is willing to admit.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Dennis

reply to Emily, there are voters who actually believe Ms. Riddle. It's a bad reflection on our Nation when people in the political arena perpetuate fear in attempts to bring down a President by relying on people who are easily frightened and don't listen to all sides of the story. Very, very sad.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Lori, CA

Hi Anderson. Hello Everyone!

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

So Lopita(?) entered the U.S. under false pretenses. There IS something wrong with that.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Nancy

Hi everyone~An interfaith center at ground zero would be wonderful.

August 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Chris

I'm not worried about terrorist babies, but I would love to see the Constitution changed. I'd like her to keep her son in her country.
    Why not learn English, lady.

August 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Emily

This all changed as of 1982 ... why were there changes?

August 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Though I understand the problem, I cant seem to comprehend enough to suggest a workable solution.

Does anyone see a solution to this problem?

August 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Libby, Anchorage ~

Gary Tuchman rocks. 😀

August 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Dulcie - Denver

Thank you, Anderson for debunking Ms. Riddle's ridiculous claims.

I agree with those who've commented that it seems as if she wants to spread hate.

August 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

So this woman deliberately broke the law and she doesn't care.

August 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  45. michelle -Georgia

what would the reason be for her to make this up ?

August 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Brad Ohio

Rep. Riddle would do more for the real issue if she and everyone else, lay the cards on the table, identify the REAL issues, and address those through meaningful legislation.

August 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Deb Bacon

This reminds me of the lead up to the Iraq war. If one lie doesn't work just try another until one of them has the desired effect.

August 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Nancy in Oregon

lisal, I think 'grilling' does happen sometimes (parents, employers, attorneys, etc. do it to break people down)...isn't just in the eye of an uncomfortable recipient. In this case though, I agree with you...I think she somehow thought she was going to skate through this and found out quickly that she wasn't. Deer in headlights.

August 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

LIbby,
    Agree yours! 🙂

August 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

The terror babies do seem to be made up, but I wonder why someone would go on the record about it.

August 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |