August 11th, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque Controversy: Join the Live Chat

A mosque planned just two blocks from the World Trade Center site. Protesters say don't build it near hallowed ground. But, as you'll see, there's growing pressure, all across the country, not to build any mosque, anywhere. Plus, Steven Slater, the most famous former flight attendant on the planet. He's speaking out about his JetBlue breakdown

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. michelle -Georgia

I have to say I think it is a very plausible possibility( that is the terror babies_.

August 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  2. vic , nashville tn

Hi Anderson
    Americans asked secure the border they didn’t ask to change 14th amendment republicans stir the problem to get vote

Terrorist won’t wait 18 years for their plan republicans think they can scared us to get vote

August 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    "I get the sense that she wants to drum up hate."

I hope that those in Texas are not buying what she is selling. That's the one thing that I was thinking as I watched this...

August 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

when DebbieR mentioned 'grilled' i must admit my eyebrows shot up too. in my experience, someone feels as though they are being 'grilled' when they are being asked questions which are uncomfortable and they do not want to answer and would rather avoid for mostly personal reasons. seemed more like a conversation to me.

August 11, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Emily

That's a great point! "The FBI spoke to my office"....
    ...sure they did, Ms. Riddle.

August 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Libby, Anchorage ~

Wow. Thank you Anderson for keepin' em honest! 😀

August 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Bill

The building of the mosque should proceed. The protest seems to be stemmed in anti-Islamic sentiment, and rooted in racism. Religious freedom is Constitutionally protected and especially when practiced on private property.

August 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Kristen

In a country where freedom of religion is a foundation, it disgusts me to see so much hatred for Islam these days. The amount of ignorance permeating my fellow Americans is astounding.

August 11, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Sharon Hastings

I doubt the terrorists need to bother with "terror babies". They seem to be able to recruit plenty of brainwashed radicals. Yes, ludicrous.

August 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi everyone. I wouldn't waste any more time on "terror babies" unless there is actual evidence to support it.. What is the point?

I think the time would be better spent on a discussion of the anchor baby & illegal immigration problem of which there is ample evidence.

August 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Brad Ohio

Good evening Anderson and everyone!

Wow, the fear mongering politics about "terror babies" are such a stretch of anyone's imagination....it's disgusting

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Who would take the time to go through all of that, pettiness!"

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

'No Preschool List', that is funny

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Chris

This topic annoys me because it has become so controversial but truthfully there is no controversy here. Initially the debate over the mosque at ground zero was claimed to be more about sensitivity than religion, but that debate has flared up anti-Islamic protests all over the country. My good friend I've known since high school is Muslim, and if anyone dared to tread her first amendment right, then they would see one upset patriot.

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Emily

@Gloria,
    I wonder what she thought that this would get her?
    Does anyone out there really believe this?

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Nancy, Carmel NY

I really like the interfaith center idea.

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Kay, California

God, this terror baby topic drives me nuts, does that mean that every baby born to a US service woman overseas in an off base hospital a potential terrorist too?If so, I guess I am one because the base in Italy where my dad was stationed, did not have a hospital (US territory) so I was born in an Italian hospital, and thus an Italian citizen as well as a US citizen.

August 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. LaSonya TN

Is this a plot to get Texas legislative to "go hard" on immigrants?

August 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Libby, Anchorage ~

Her constituents should impeach her for claiming that the FBI told her something they obviously never said.

August 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Sue R. Canton MI.

I would hope that the FBI is looking into all threats against our country.,,,These terror babies are a little to far fetched. They need to concetrate on the grown terrorists that are a threat to us now.

August 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, 360 Team, Emily, Jo Ann, Starr, Megan, Isabel, Sree, Karin, David, Mike, Gloria, Nancy everyone..
    Again some `grilling`over terror babies..

August 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

Emily, I don't even know if it's that simple...she seems really shady to me in more than just a diversionary way. I get the sense that she wants to drum up hate.

August 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I also agree all of you...... Debbie Riddle is not telling truth us and Anderson...... She doesn't answer Anderson's question as well.

August 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Emily

After hearing that again, I still can't believe that she accused Anderson of "grilling" her....
    She should go to a Court of Law to see a "grilling"....

August 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Janis Hewitt

Hello fello 360ers.

I don't understand the caginess of the Texas politician about disclosure of where her info comes from Cocktail party chit chat? Too defensive on her part.

August 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  26. LaSonya TN

How long has the border been under guarded, for decades, right?

August 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

Good heavens, what a shady lady.

August 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Libby, Anchorage ~

She claims Anderson grilled her? Nutz!

August 11, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

It's funny how people take some things so seriously even if the information is completely ridiculous and say that it's truth

August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Vivien, NYC

The interfaith center to replace the proposed mosque is a great idea. Let's all make it happen!

August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    She has taken the focus off the of real issue of "anchor babies" ...

August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Oh boy! Anderson is on it and he's picked up something that he is tear it apart until he gets to the bottom.

I am sure he and the team can prove this is nothing but fear mongering.

At the same time, we should all realize that we will need to protect our borders and laws.

August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

She doesn't have anyone!

August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paula,
    I also agree with you.......... They are, They (Terror Babies) won't accept ttheir citizenship or documents to show the federals or government without proof.

August 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Way to go after the "facts" on this terror babies discussion. I look forward to the FBI's answer on this.

August 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Libby, Anchorage ~

I agree Paula. The "terror baby conspiracy" is just too much!!

August 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Emily

I find it so hard to believe that this woman, Debbie Riddle, represents anyone!

August 11, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

August 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. Not more terror babies?!!!

August 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Sounds like a great program tonight. I'm glad to see you following up on the terror babies.

August 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Emily

I think that building a mosque two blocks from the World Trade Center site is just purely tasteless & I hope that those of the Islamic faith will speak out against it.

August 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just because one person says something about a certain subject, even if they are FBI agents, it doesn't mean it's the gospel truth

August 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    looking forward to the show tonight.

August 11, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Kris Craig

The people who don't want this or any other mosques built are those who carry the dangerous perception that America is currently engaged in a war between Islam and Christianity. We are not. A mosque is no different than a church as far as our Constitution is concerned. Should we also ban churches in Oklahoma City because Timothy McVeigh was a Christian? Of course not.

Islam didn't attack us on 9/11. Unless someone can prove that they're using this mosque for terrorist activity (which there is zero evidence of), then the only reason left for denying this mosque is pure bigotry. That's not what my America stands for.

August 11, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    The "terrorist babies" claim is such an odd one. It's hard to imagine terrorists waiting decades in planning attacks on the U.S.

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Anderson and fellow bloggers!

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Wednesday night!

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good Evening All – Hope all is well with you.

August 11, 2010 at 10:00 pm |