August 5th, 2010
  1. SarahMarie

Thank you CNN and Anderson Cooper for bringing attention to this issue. I thought the piece was very well done. I'm not here to argue with the above commentors but I feel that tougher punishment for drunks on the road will help deter getting behind the wheel in the first place.. Why would it matter if the sentence for DUI was automatically 50yrs if u never got behind the wheel with to much to drink..... It wouldn't .. I will always stand up and promote sober driving. I knew Paul personally, he was amazing.

August 6, 2010 at 2:39 am |
  2. Debbie

This is to bring national awareness to an increasing problem nationwide. More people drinking..more people driving drunk..more innocent people dying ... deaths that can be preventable. Perhaps when your son or daughter or other family member is killed by someone elses poor decision to drink and drive you would have a much different view. Personally I am just as tired of those who think they can drink and drive and cause tragedies such as this one.

August 5, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  3. Lora

I disagree . ...maybe you just never have felt the awful pain of losing a loved one. Not only does this family want this person to be punished for killing their son. They also want to educate people from their tragedy, even if it stops one person from drinking and driving. Is that so bad?

August 5, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  4. Kerri

Christine –

When its YOUR boyfriend that's senselessly killed.... then you come back and tell me how you feel about it.

This is no personal agenda disguised as anything. Its about touching people with Paul's story, so that they will think twice before they get in their cars drunk and kill someone elses boyfriend, brother, son, friend.

August 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  5. tony

This woman killed a man while driving drunk. This was not her first DUI. She continued drinking excessively even after the killing. She has learned nothing from her prior encounters with the justice system and today deserves the full force of the law thrown at her.

The reason some of us talk publicly about these issues is that we've experienced unimaginable pain and suffering. We don't want others to suffer as we do. If we don't tell you there is a problem how will you know?

I don't want the jails loaded up with minor offenders, I want society to move toward personal responsibility. If you want to drink fine, when closing time comes call a taxi.

To the family..so sorry for your lose. I hope the justice system works for you.

August 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  6. Christine

While my heart does go out to the victims families in any tragic circumstance, I must say I am beginning to tire of people taking their tragedy and turning it into a nationalized personal agenda disguised as a movement for the betterment of the collective good. I can understand the need to make a loved one's life and death matter, but after hearing this same type of story over and over again....I am becoming numb to it. Every week seems to bring a 'cause' or movement to the media spotlight calling to make tougher laws so 'this dosent happen again' to our already over litigous laws for everything society......my tougher laws card is becoming full and I am beginning to tune out.

August 5, 2010 at 11:12 am |