August 5th, 2010

Christopher Hitchens on cancer & God: Join the live chat

Tonight Anderson talks to best-selling author Christopher Hitchens about living with cancer, the very real possibility he'll die of it, and how he, one of the best-known atheists on the planet, finds comfort in his very tough struggle. Has the prognosis moved him from his atheism?

We'll also look at the illegal immigration debate heating up in Virginia, not a border state, after a nun was allegedly killed by an drunk driving illegal immigrant. And, the call Omar Thornton made to Connecticut police after shooting many people at his workplace.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nicole The Netherlands

Good night everyone, how good it is to watch AC360 with all of you!

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Heather - Spokane, WA

Have a great night everyone and be safe

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

So many people use Facebook innocently to keep up with old friends and family and that sounds wonderful and all, but I shouldn't be too surprised by this deviant behavior, especially by old friends of hers that she grew up with. The security features on Facebook need to be addressed. You can block certain "friends" from seeing certain parts of the page, but if you allow someone to know your whereabouts (alot like Twitter), you may run into the same situation.

Great report Randi!

Good evening Anderson and fellow bloggers! Great discussion tonight!

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Brad Ohio

Anyone who does their minute by minute updates on social network sites are fools, nothing less, and invite their own trouble!

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Michael - Orange County, CA.

America should never hate or deport millions of hardworking immigrants because of the actions of a few reckless people! All of my relatives in the U.S. are immigrants, and that's true with most Americans!

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Lori, CA

Good night and sweet dreams Anderson, 360, Everyone! See you on Monday!

August 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kidding me????? Someone break-in homes caught by Facebook!!! OUCH!

Good night Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Monday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!! Have a great weekend!
    Thanks for coming in to join us tonight!
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, great weekend & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you on Monday night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Emily

@Tyler,
    "I'm hoping Hitchens is one of the people who make it out of esophageal cancer. Best of luck!"

That's a nice comment. I remember reading how Bogart really suffered from it...what an awful form, not that there's a 'good one'.

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have a facebook page but I am not on it very often and I only add people who I know onto my friends list

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360Team and fellow bloggers

Good show tonight Anderson. ....Good comments.
    Stay safe everyone.

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Thanks Anderson for another thought provoking program. See you all Monday.

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm an FB fanatic. I normally don't "announce" what I'm about to do. I usually post something about it, after the fact. I generally don't "friend" people I can't identify or don't know from some personal contact.

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Nicole The Netherlands

At this moment in time it is like you are an outcast if you are not on facebook...

August 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Lori, CA

I guess you never really know some people.....

August 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Emily

Another "Facebook" nightmare...
    I know that employers (or future ones), will look you up to see if you have a "Facebook" page etc. and what is on it, your friends, pictures, etc.

August 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Miranda Marchesi Huntington Beach CA United States

Hey 360 & bloggers

360 giving credit where credit is due impeccable interview with hitchins

Have a blessed night

all the best

Miranda

August 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Tyler Peterson

I just finished "God is not Great" and it is very difficult to think of potentially losing such a strong force in the intellectual world. I'm hoping Hitchens is one of the people who make it out of esophageal cancer. Best of luck!

August 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Kenya

Have a great weekend Mr. Cooper, team 360, Megan and moderators.

August 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Linda

I just tuned into your shoe now Anderson and was happy to see you interviewing Mr. Hitchens. Yesterday I had read his article in the forthcoming issue of Vanity Fair about his esophageal cancer. Mr. Hitchens to be an extremely fascinating articulate person, even though I don't usually agree with his philosophy. He really is going through it now isn't he? I admire his courage now while he is in the midst of his life. Good interview Anderson!

August 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    ""Either God doesn't exist or he is unimaginably cruel.""

That sounds so true. [I'm in no hurry to find out]

August 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Those wedsites can be like opening your front door!"

August 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

This just goes to show what Naomi Campbell thinks. She doesn't care about other people or events, she just thinks about herself and material things and this tesimony proves it

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Melissa

I am a foxhole atheist with less than 6 months to live. My question is, why do people seem to think we would change our mind at the last minute? It is childlike to think we are immortal and above the law of nature. Simply ceasing to be is peaceful.

I hope you're around long enough to write about it.

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Janice Ocala Florida

Hi Anderson, You and Hitchens have much in comon when it comes to emotions of the past personal events...I found that interview very interesting...Campbell in another story..just a gold digger at heart..and I never had time for gold diggers...

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    That good point your comment......... it was so scary thought my mind. I think he was distress his life.... Yeah, would have him calm down during calls.

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Catherine La Mirada,CA

I hope the people of Liberia can get some justice from the Taylor trial. It's simply awful how dictators use their countries like personal piggy banks.

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Maybe Naomi Campbell could hook-up with the ex-CEO of BP. Seems like a good fit, don't you agree?

August 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Nancy in Oregon. Thx 🙂

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Antonio

Despite the odds and the circumstances, I wish Mr. Hitchens the best of luck and perhaps some marvel of medical science will make the suffering of chemo therapy worth his efforts. Loved your books and what you helped further. Wish the best for the family and loved ones who have to suffer alongside you.

Should a horseman fall, another will step forward to lead the charge. Emboldened by the comrades excellence and passion for his causes, wiser from his defeats, and knowledgeable from his victories. The horsemen shall live forever, on the tongues and minds of those who rise up to continue their legacies.

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

No matter what people think of Campbell's superficial appearance, she is a very ugly person indeed.

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Roro Phoenix,Az.

I will Pray for you!

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Nicole The Netherlands

Thankyou Anderson for having this guest to put the supermodel's attention into perspective. There is an Dutch photographer, Kadir van Loohuizen who made great (if that's the good word for such misery) photo's overthere.

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

I am glad Christopher Hitchens is giving his blessing to those who want to say a prayer for him Those good vibes have to be helpful in someway.

It's so easy to burn the candle at both ends, but it is also possible to take care of one's self and regain your health too.

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Emily

@Nancy,
    "Naomi Campbell just wants her life back, I assume!"

Clearly ... this is getting in the way of her getting her nails done, and going to the spa & shopping....

August 5, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  35. David

I have so enjoyed Hitchens writing and speaking. I wish him the best in this tough time.

August 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Shanny

I've always wondered, if someone is found guilty in a trial in The Hague, WHERE do they serve out their sentence?

August 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Joeholzer, I believe in both together, not just one or the other. If one works over the other then great and if not, then things will happen the way they happen, we do not have total control over everything

August 5, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Mary in St. Louis Mo

Anderson,
    That was an interesting interview with Christopher. Amen to anyone thinking you can get closure to suicide happening to someone close to you. I agree that unless you have experienced that, I don't think you could understand. I will for sure have to get Christopher's book and read it.

Enjoying the show.. Happy Thursday.

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  39. Ada Almering

I don't need to agree or disagree with Christoper Hitchens. It's his voice,
    his speech, his conversation that I adore. My very best wishes for
    his health. I need to dash out to buy his last book

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

I hear you, Casey....there's a point where you can be so careful that you almost seem to think that it will guarantee you live forever! There's a lot to be said for celebrating life however you enjoy, as long as you don't hurt others. It's not like abstaining would have guaranteed eternal youth!

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Brad Ohio

Naomi or not, I hope they convict that brutal dictator!

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Emily

YES!! Thank you for saying what I was just thinking Anderson!
    Such a shallow individual I think Naomi Campbell Really IS!

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  43. Nicole The Netherlands

Why was this Mass Murderer having dinner with Mr Mandela?

August 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Cathy A.

My mother was diagnosed with esophageal cancer at the age of 63 in 2001. She was given 3 choices: Do nothing and she'd be dead in a year; Aggressive chemo and she may buy a few more; Finally, surgery to remove it, but with a 15% chance of dying on the table. She gambled with the surgery and I'm happy to say she's been cancer free going on 9 years now. Go for the high stakes Chris and beat this thing!!

August 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Emily

Great interview with Hitchens, Anderson! 🙂

I think that he sounds like he's still rather 'shocked' about it... that it's not really sunk in yet... (could be a way of coping).

August 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Catherine La Mirada,CA

I admire Hr. Hitchens strengthen in a difficult time. Naomi Campbell is spectacularly self centered. I guess being at the Hague is interfering with her terrorizing her servants.

August 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That was a fascinating interview with Christopher Hitchens.

In the words of Dr. Gregory House, "Either God doesn't exist or he is unimaginably cruel."

August 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

I believe atheists are people who haven't had something happen in their lives to make them believe there is a higher power. maybe this is Mr Hitchens' event, maybe not......otherwise, I have admiration for what he has gone through and what he is going through now

August 5, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

After the story with Christopher, Naomi Campbell is pretty insignificant. Hard for me to empathize with her on any level...

August 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Nancy in Oregon

'My Life'-we certainly don't want to be inconvenienced or taken out of stride from our lives, do we?!! (I have to ask myself if I say that too...bet I have!)

August 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm |