August 5th, 2010

Christopher Hitchens on cancer & God: Join the live chat

Tonight Anderson talks to best-selling author Christopher Hitchens about living with cancer, the very real possibility he'll die of it, and how he, one of the best-known atheists on the planet, finds comfort in his very tough struggle. Has the prognosis moved him from his atheism?

We'll also look at the illegal immigration debate heating up in Virginia, not a border state, after a nun was allegedly killed by an drunk driving illegal immigrant. And, the call Omar Thornton made to Connecticut police after shooting many people at his workplace.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@roger, "The illegal alien should not be here, and is breaking another law by simply being here."

By being here illegally these people have demonstrated that they don't respect our laws so breakiing additional laws means nothing to them.

August 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Ryan

Oops... that was supposed to read "chains of faith"... LOL!

August 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Chuck - Mobile

Hitch,
    Read your Vanity Fair article. Hope your health improves soon. Love 'ya.

August 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

I dont care if you are legal or not, breaking the law is not right and someone like him who has done this twice should be punished to the full extent and if that means deportation then so be it, but first punish him before you let him go back

August 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Richard on the Texas coast

Have to agree with the nuns. DUI and immigration are separate issues - the DUI incident should not be used to promote political positions. If the man was a U.S. citiizen this incident would not receive all this national attention.

August 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Sabrina

I think it is important to remember that the driver that killed the nun in Virginia did not do so because of being an illegal immigrant but because of being drunk.

August 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Ryan

Christopher, for many, many years, I was "on the fence" about belief in God(s), not quite comfortable with the idea but unable (or perhaps unwilling) to put my finger on exactly why.

Men like you, Professor Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett helped crystallize the reasons why for me, and I owe you all a debt of gratitude for helping me free myself from the chains of reason.

Thank you for your work and I wish you many days of happiness during your time left on this speck of dust.

August 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Emily

I have a feeling that all these States & going to have the Fed's moving on this Bill ASAP....

The President & Senators will no longer be able to avoid it....

August 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Janis Hewitt

Good evening

Beautiful set decoration. Still thinking about illegal immigration. It's so hard. The nun didn't die because he was an illegal but because of him driving while drunk.

August 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, David, Indiana. IUt is not the time to 'pile on' Hitchens. I am not in his camp, but I hope people will not gloat now.

August 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kim,
    My heart goes to you and your daughter, Hope you need lawyer right now, I suggest you need one.

August 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I dont mind being stopped and being asked for papers. However, there must be some serious training for the officers to understand what kind of documents establishing legal presence are issued by USCIS/ICE

I could have 1 document that proves that I am present legally here, and the next legal immigrant could have an entirely different document to prove the presence.

So, please – when this law is enforced, please train the officers about all the documents!

August 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people....Emily, Megan, everyone. I know this case is a double-whammy with the immigration issue involved, but honestly now-would someone else be held accountable for the drunk driving? If we do our best to keep drunk drivers off the road and from killing people, and it rarely happens, then I can see zeroing in on illegal immigrants for this. But sadly it is not the case. If Brittany Spears killed someone, would she 'not see the light of day' for a long time? I am sorry to say I think we de-prioritize DUIs. People are killed all the time by legal US residents.

August 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. roger

Driving while drunk is illegal and very stupid behavior. This stays true for everyone, including illegal aliens.

August 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

Good evening everyone. I am wishing Christopher Hitchens strength and love in fighting and being treated for cancer.

August 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Justin Vacula

Hitchens is a great example of how we don't need unsubstantiated belief in a sky daddy to prevail through tragedies.

Theists always say nonsense comments like "Oh, you'll find God when you're in a bad situation..."

August 5, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,

That's outrageous! I can't believe that I just heard Joe J. say that he had 2 previous convicts! Wow.... Agrees.
    And how was he after this accident? he drunk during drive cause accident by hit and run.
    Did he have a drivers lic? No

August 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Emily

@Samantha Rowley,

Thanks....I wonder just how long he was in the country!
    Aside from the 2 yrs known about due to the previous charges...

August 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

He is right. An officer can ask anyone for ID at any time for any reason. The person doesn't have to answer, but most don't know that.

August 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Emily..."How much is it now going to cost the Gov. to try & imprison this person, instead of the deportation cost?"

I think I would prefer to just get rid of the guy. It seems really stupid to make this guy an added expense. It's like we're punishing ourselves.

August 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

It appears that Virginia is following suit with what Arizona wants to do. Wouldn't be surprised if other states add on eventually.

August 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Emily

@Kim,
    I hope that your daughter is okay!

August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening Anderson and 360º team!

Hello friends!!!

August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Virginia won't be the last state to follow in AZ's footsteps. There is nothing "involuntary" about choosing to drink and drive.

The families of those nuns should be able to sue the federal government for releasing this murderer back into our society.

August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Sounds like another interesting program. This is certainly a tragic story about the drunk driving fatality. I see why all are upset. It does seem that they grabbed on to this for political purposes.

August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Sue R. Canton MI.

If this illegal immigrant has already been convicted twice ,,Thats a good question ,,why wasn't he held and deported? This is a tragic story,,,,,one of so many.

August 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Emily

August 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening everyone! Second night in a row after a long absence.

The death of the nun is tragic, but emulating Arizona's racist tactics isn't the answer.

August 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Lax enforcement has to end.

August 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! I am shocked that she died by drunk driving..... This is against at law. Never drink and drive..... I hope that he is back to home in jail.... Keep them Honest!

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Heather - Spokane, WA

Illegal or not, drunk driving is not right. Death from drunk driving or any other unnatural death should not happen at all

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Wow! a new law for the state I live in – looks like I will have to start carrying all my documents establishing my legal presence in this country!

I was never stopped in the last 10 yrs for any reason and dont expect to, but I guess its better to be careful than be sorry!

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

@ Emily
    The man was from Bolivia.

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Napolitano is the one accountable. ICE works for her.

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Emily

And how was he after this accident?
    Did he have a drivers lic?

August 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Heyward

I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for illegal aliens, entering America illegally is against the law and those who do so must face the consequences of their actions, just as all other law breakers are subject to.We owe illegal aliens nothing and it's very sickening hearing people justify them , when that's not the case with others who break the law. Enough!

August 5, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Nicole The Netherlands

Good evening! Anderson and 360 team, Emily, Jo ann, Starr, Sree, Megan, David, Nancy, Sharon, Mike, Gloria everyone..

August 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Emily

Where did he come from?
    Which country?

August 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Kim

my daughter was hit by an illegal immigrant 2 weeks ago, no insurance Fl licence and THEY ARE SUING HER???????????

August 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Emily

Wow, that's awful that the nun passed away in that car accident & that the other 2 were in it too....it never should have happened.

August 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

August 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

Looking forward to hearing what Christopher Hitchens has to say...

August 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Thursday.
    There seems to be a lot of tragic stories tonight.
    Your interview sounds fascinating–I'm looking forward to it.

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Nina, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Hello Anderson and fellow bloggers! The topics for tonight look very interesting.

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good Evening All – Hope every one had a great day!

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Ian Harper

Elsewhere I have read the question "why are we fascinated by Christopher's cancer?" I don't think we are. We are fascinated with his life and how he deals with his issues without a God's intervention.

I'd like to believe he can deal with cancer in the way he has dealt with God. Can he? Can he be a guiding light for the rest of us?

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

August 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Kim

atheist or not I will say prayers, I lost my mother to lung cancer Feg 3, 2009, shortly after being diagnosed on Jan 16th 2009.
    I wish you Peace Mr. Christopher Hitchens