August 4th, 2010

California same-sex marriage ban repealed: Join the Live Chat

Prop 8, the California ban on same-sex marriage has been ruled unconstitutional. You'll hear from both sides on this historic ruling. Is the well in the Gulf finally dead? But what about all that oil that's already poured into the Gulf? Tom Foreman visited the town of Shell Beach today to find out how they're feeling about the news. And find out how a Facebook page led to a stricter drunk driving sentence, in our Crime & Punishment story. We'll have that plus much more tonight on AC360°.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karen, MN

Paul is so cute. I will be joining team Paul on facebook.

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Brad Ohio

Another DUI tragedy! I was hit from behind by a drunk driver also and lucky because their car was totalled when it hit my trailer hitch doing at least 60, that saved me. My heart goes out to all DUI victims.

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Isn't it probably the case that the building of the mosque is to encourage healing and to commit to rebuilding in the area around ground zero?

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Lori, CA

She should not have been out drinking. Will she get help?

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Charles

Nina, you're absolutley correct, Obamas FBI backround check would have been extremely broad in scope. The republican party wants so badly to regain power, that their willing to risk looking foolish with these incompetent cheap jabs at the commander and chief. The problem the republicans are having is that they can't find anything really bad to say about the President, so they take these cheap shots.

August 4, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

I wonder if the bar that the drunk driver was at was fined for overserving a patron? The alcohol laws here in Washington will fine a bar for overserving people who are later in accidents

August 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

I can understand how upset the family is...

August 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Hi Libby and Paulette! Thanks for the clarification. However, the topic just keeps coming up all the time, I guess for political attacks against the President (which is odd to me). All I was saying was produce it and then the discussion is over. He was either born here or not. And I know to become President that was a requirement.

August 4, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    "If Islam is a religion of peace, they should show it by not building a mosque where it is clearly provocative. Come on Muslims, walk the walk."

I'm thinking like you, Mike. There are certain things that just don't seem correct. (@ Museum re. the Nazis' next to Auschwitz, etc). This just seems "tasteless". (Even if it's done by "peace-loving" Muslims)

August 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Al Pechulis

To Michael Armstrong Sr.: It's up to men to chose God's law. As a man, I also choose God's law. However, God's law is not the law of America. The Constitution is men's law and this is the law of the land. If men want God"s law to be the law of the land, then men must change the Constitution.

August 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  11. deborah

50 year old daughter of two gay men...Best childhood ever and they are doing great being grandparents, great grandparents and I am thrilled!!!!!!

August 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

That's just it, Shanny, how close, how far....and who else is welcome or excluded?

August 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  13. EmmKay

if a mosque can't be at ground zero or 2 blocks away, how far is okay? 6 blocks?

August 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, ""Ground Zero Mosque" ~ I'm not sure I know where I stand on.

I am not in favor of the "Ground Zero Mosque". They can build their mosque, but let them build it somewhere else. It is a slap in the face of those victims to let them build it on that sacred ground.

August 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. kathy teman

not sure what side im on about the prop 8 thing. I have a gay friend that I adore and I only want the best for him, including the rights that everybody has. But I keep going back to what I am taught in church. this is a hard issue that warrents a lot of thought.

August 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Josh

What right do we have to tell people who they can or cannot marry? If you truly love someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them, that is your right. Gays deserve the same rights as any other person.

"all men are created equal...with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and pursuit of happiness." This is from the Declaration of Independence, how have we really struggled with this issue? Same-sex marriage = liberty and pursuit of happiness.

August 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Nancy in Oregon

I think I'd either say no one of any religion gets to build a church within X-number of blocks or else let anyone who wants to, do so. I don't think it's wise to single out one group and forbid them. Would some other church be welcome? If so, then I think that's discrimination. If not, then it's just public policy that no church can stand 3 blocks from the site or whatever is decided in terms of distance.

August 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Shanny

It's two blocks away. That's close, but it is not ground zero. How far away would be more palatable for people? 5 blocks? 5 miles?

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Extremism within religions is found in all religions through out the world. It's some country or the other where some religion is casting it's shadow on the others for some reason or the other.

Starting from knights templar to the current day religions, all have been extreme at one time or the other including the most peaceful religions.

No religion will ever preach violence and that needs to be understood. Religion will teach equality and patience, but no one wants to learn!

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Emily

I think listening to Paul & Eric debate, the Muslims can't lose!
    Yes or No, they can argue different opinions as to "why" either was made against them...(or for them)
    It seems win-win once it made media attention.

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Sophia

If we try to stop the building of the Mosque near ground zero, it is making a statement saying that all Muslims are terrorists. This will just perpetuate anger and racial tension. The greatest victory for the US would be to show that we are tolerant of all religions and stand by the first amendment by allowing the building of this Mosque.

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Nina

Not having a mosque near ground zero sends a clear message to the world that the US is discriminatory against innocent Muslims.

August 4, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Karen, MN

Mosque should not be built near ground zero.

August 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Christopher Bochniak

Hi Anderson,
    It’s time that the federal government offers gay couples the same rights as heterosexual married couples in all areas. Furthermore, it’s so important that state and religion stay separate for the benefit of all citizens not a group or groups using religion scare, tactics for their own benefits. This interest money can be spent in many beneficial areas or perhaps for needy people in our USA.
    Keep up the good work 360 and thank you for all the valuable services.!
    Chris

August 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

Yes Paul Begala, you are right!

August 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Paulette

Samantha The Governor of Hawaii has review it. He is American!

August 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Nina

Muslims were also killed in 9/11. Just because there are a few radical Islamic people, does not designate that all people of this religion are dangerous. Actually, I have found many to be very kind and wonderful neighbors.

August 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Emily

"Ground Zero Mosque" ~ I'm not sure I know where I stand on.

August 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Libby ~

Oh Samantha, you are not serious? He has provided the documentation that the state of Hawaii gives to all residents born there. Please tell me that you are not serious?

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Sue R. Canton MI.

President Obama has a birth certificate that shows he was born in America. what more do these non believers need? If they have the proof,, why haven't they come forward with it?

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Patricia

You tell them Paul! So good to see again on Anderson's show.

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Lori, CA

Government has the right to regulate land use to protect public welfare.

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  34. Brad Ohio

Happy Birthday Mr. President! I don't understand, if its a fact and indisputable where he was born, why is there such a debate over it? Apparently the truth will come after his term, and could this be why the immigration laws are being stalled?

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Nina

Anderson, thank you for exposing the discrimination that continues to reside in the US. Most media will not discuss this issue. I am very delighted you are willing to bring this to the forefront! Americans need to address these issues.

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  36. James

About time that America got dragged into the 21st Century!
    Even though we in Canada have had legit gay marriage and gays in military for five years now, there is strong discrimination in the public mind against gay people.Be that as it is may, any law which does not recognize the fact that homosexual people have the same rights in every field as do the rest of the citizenry, then it is unlawful and
    indefensible.

August 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  37. David, Indiana

@Karen, MN But having someones marriage recognized is important too.

This 911 tape is heart wrenching. This is a terrible crime. Why does anyone committ this kind of violence? Why are you only reporting the 911 call?

August 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  38. geraldine from queens ny

all i want to see is proof of the man who killed all thoes people i want to see the tape also i want to see what he had on his boss and coworkers

August 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Simply, if President Obama would produce a birth certificate from Hawaii, this topic would be null and void.

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Karen, MN

Happy Birthday Mr. President. I believe Obama was born in the USA!

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Christine

Marriage is between one man and one woman! This ruling is why every state needs to amend their constitution to define marriage as such.

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Shamara Myers Lynchburg, TN

This is such a sad issue we have to talk about. People are creating consipiracies every minute. It is a shame that conservatives act this way, but it's a trust issue with the people of U.S.

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Emily

If we were to conduct a poll right now...
    How many people in that poll have seen a UFO?
    How many people think that Elvis Presley is alive?

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Jacob

I am for same-sex marriage.

I've read all the comments and listened to all of the discussion.

I still can't see a valid argument against it. IMHO, all the arguments against come from either opinion or religion, neither possess a solid legal foundation.
    OBTW, the 14th amendment wasn't penned by the founding fathers. It was ratified in the 1860s.

August 4, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why are we still talking about the president's birth certificate? He is american, it's been proven, get over it

August 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

Oh boy, Jo Ann, you know what galls me is that these shooters don't want to face the music for what they do so they kill themselves too. And I believe in this case I heard that the family seemed to be implying that co-workers 'drove him to it'-so they are, what, excusing him?

August 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Nina

@ Samantha Rowley
    I think she was just trying to keep him on the phone and maybe asking the same questions prolongs the call so they could trace it.

August 4, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  48. John

Today is a great example of the fundamental principles our country was founded upon. Discrimination and inequality are not rights and should not be protected under the pretense of marriage.

August 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so sad for her (Caroline G) who shoplifting at shop area...... OUCH!!!!

August 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Jen R

Congrats to equality loving people in Californian from Canada where national freedom for gays and lesbians to marriage has brought no problems and much joy to gays, lesbians and their children and loved ones!

August 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm |