August 4th, 2010

California same-sex marriage ban repealed: Join the Live Chat

Prop 8, the California ban on same-sex marriage has been ruled unconstitutional. You'll hear from both sides on this historic ruling. Is the well in the Gulf finally dead? But what about all that oil that's already poured into the Gulf? Tom Foreman visited the town of Shell Beach today to find out how they're feeling about the news. And find out how a Facebook page led to a stricter drunk driving sentence, in our Crime & Punishment story. We'll have that plus much more tonight on AC360°.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. deborah

I am the 50 year old daughter of two gay men, no child had a better life and was loved more than me. These beautiful men are now grandparents and great grandparents! I am thrilled that our family finally has liberty and justice for all!

August 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Shanny

What's to discuss? A mass killer does not deserve 15 mins of fame even after he's dead.

August 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Sophia

I'm surprised that the 911 caller was able to (relatively) keep his cool during the call. He provided so many details. I think I would have been totally frozen in that situation. It's just horrible to think that a person would commit such violence.

August 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Nina

I cannot even believe people think President Obama was not born in the US. In order to work for the federal government, everyone has a thorough FBI investigation. I would imagine the commander and chief would have the most extensive FBI investigation. People just boggle my mind... with these belief systems

August 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Emily

I heard that she was arrested...I thought that is was a joke. (didn't hear the details)

It seems that "getting arrested" doesn't hold the same shame that it once did. (at least that's the way it seems) I can't believe how often it happens with people who are of prominence. It was so frowned on at one time & your career was over...

August 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Thanks Libby! I have no idea about the 911 operator's life and the stress involved in their jobs! But, so far if i recollect all the instances of 911 operator calls on TV, they are all so positive and compassionate.

They keep reassuring again and again about help. This lady was probably over worked or has been an operator for so long that the numerous calls she gets have become business as usual!

But thanks for all the work you do Libby for all those people who need help – and at times really ridiculous people!

August 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  7. geraldine

the man that killed aal thoes people i just would like to see the tape where tthey said he was caught stealing and also proof of all the things he said that was done to him

August 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

How horrible! I agree Shanny. The 9-1-1 operator kept making him repeat himself. She asked the name of the gunman three times...I mean, come on. I sure hope police was listening in on the call so they could determine a course of action.

August 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

I don't know Mike, when I think of what the will of the people were in the south for instance, decades ago...I can't believe that the will of sheer numbers in one region necessarily makes their will right.

August 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Kenya

Late to the blog..yay for the repeal! Evening everyone.

August 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is a chilling tape

August 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Nina

What a horrible experience. Wise to keep the man on the line. As long as he can talk, they not only can trace the call, it demonstrates his head injury did not damage his cognition.

August 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This guy kills eight people. Why no discussion on the story?

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Libby...so often the people who point the fingers have far from admirable marriages themselves.

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Emily

This is awful...wow, they are both doing great on this 911 Call!
    I can't believe how calm both of them are remaining. Congrats to both of them. I'm glad that he survived.

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Brad Ohio

Its such a tragedy, the innocent lives lost, I am sure all our hearts pour out for the victims.

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Shamara Myers Lynchburg, TN

These 911 Tapes are unbelievable. I can't believe people are capable of such terror. I wonder if Budweiser is hiding the racisim issue that Omar Thronton claimed. It still doesn't justify his actions, but if I had to guess I would say he was going to get fired.

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Libby ~

Sree – I agree with you on the 911 Dispatcher. That is what I do, and when I listened to that tape, there are so many things I would've done differently!! I would've asked the caller if he felt safe enough where he was before just telling him to "stay where you are". She should have also said to him countless times that "I have officers and medics enroute" while she was questioning him.

August 4, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Lori, CA

This tape is crazy.

August 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Shanny

She keeps making him repeat himself which is irritating but I think the last thing you want is an emotional person on the 9-1-1 line. you WANT them calm, cool and collected so they can get you the right help.

August 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Mel

What is the Heterosexual population of America afraid of?
    Does it really affect the average American if a gay couple want their reationship legally recognised?
    Gay people live together and have relationships anyway, that is always going to happen. If they are not equal under the law, why then should they pay the same ammount of taxes as everyone else, why should they have to pay towards education and other expenses that are normally paid even though most are never going to have children. There are many other points I could make, but i'd be here all night. Food for thought maybe !!!!

August 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Emily

Yikes!
    There has been a few of these rampage shootings in the past week or so, has there not? (all over the world, I mean)

August 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Eric Elizondo

The fact that as a society, we are still fighting for the rights of our own citizens. Rights that are so basic, being able to choose the type of person we love while we are fighting and killing people in other societies is very strange – surreal.

Great win today in California today for the United States of America. Loving and understanding one another is always the answer.

August 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

I think the opposition to same sex marriage is more complicated than only fear, but even so the question is why should a same sex marriage be prohibited or acknowledged differently?

August 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Lori, CA

How can someone call with a head wound?

August 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Gena

What the woman lawyer said about marriage being the union of husband and wife, its the union of two beings in love willing to commit their lives to eachother. Think outside the box lady.

August 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Juan C

My name is Juan and i was raised by two lesbian mothers. I am currently 21 and I am an Education Student. I feel i received just as much love, guidance and discipline by having two mothers as i would have gotten in an opposite-sex parent home. Many people have the false idea that by having a child be raised by same-sex parents that the child would turn out gay. That is the most ignorant statement i have ever heard. A family is a family and the government should not be able to tell you who can or cannot love!

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Clifton

I'm sorry but the guest in support of Prop 8 made the implied statement that marriage is for a man and a woman to create a family and gay marriage doesn't support. Truth be told, there are heterosexual married couples who have opted out in having children by surgery. Finally marriage is NOT just about having children, but it is about having a committed relationship honored and recognized by government and society. She was WAY off!!

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  29. martin from bakersfield

My question is: "Does the equal protection clause of the US Constitution trump the people's right-as voters-of the state of California to ammend the state constitution with Proposition 8?"

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Anna Salerni

I'm an Australian, currently in Germany, I'd like to have the right and feel free to be to marrried in the eyes of the law. I have a 19 year old daughter who loves me (I hope) and wants to see the world knows that I have rights as a mother and as a human. I'm currently at the Gay Games Dancesports competititon (with my parntner Jarney) on Holiday – it's grand! It would be lovely to see Same Sex marriage in the USA to get the world on track – please give us a chance. Anny xx

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Emily

@Guy,
    Love the Jolson line....

@Sue R.
    "I'm not sure where I stand on Prop 8"
    I think that I was wondering about the fact that it was overturned by one Judge; the people have said different things....I don't think that this is the end of it...I think that we will hear more about it.

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"There is a higher power and that day will come too!"

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Kelly, Harrisburg, PA

Part of this is fear of the unknown. As more people get to know gay people in committed relationships, they will become more comfortable with gay marriage.

August 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Patrick

Same sex marriage should not be a government decision. It is a decision between two people. Why does the government need to be involved in someone's personal life?

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  35. barry c

dear cathy...many of us are all ready raising children...well adjusted..a students going to private schools...with a bright future in front of them...we wont let people like you keep us or them down

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Shawn - Miami,Florida

Its simple. Pro-same sex activist, researchers and lawyers will use the terminology "discrimination", "sterotype", and "biases" to accomodate a group. One nation under God, is sufficient rationale to ban same sex marriage. Simply, it is a threat to procreation. America where do we draw the line? I fear the future of this " instant satisfaction" country and what Americans assume is a right.

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Libby ~

Megan @ Shoreline, this is the first issue I think I've ever disagreed with you on. :-O I agree with Jo Ann in Ohio. My neighbors are a same-sex couple and have been together for over two decades. They are Christians, pillars of the community, and probably have the best marriage in the neighborhood.

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Is it me or is it the 911 operator in connecticut that is lacking emotions when she is talking to some one who's just been shot at?

While the shooting's still going on, she does not show any compassion to the guy on the phone and keeps asking questions vs. comforting and assuring him...

may be i did not hear the full audio but please show compassion for some one who is willing to lose his life while daring to call 911 while already shot at

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, this judge must have known the constitution better than the other

August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

I'd think love and commitment would be celebrated and rewarded, not trashed.

August 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Michael - Orange County, CA.

YAY! I'm gay and maybe I'm not a second-class citizen after all!

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Kathryn Blackman

I was married to my partner of 12 years on 3/4/04 in San Francisco, CA on the courthouse steps and will do it again and again if they keep overturning it! I live in Florida and here you cannot foster a child nor can is Gay marriage a consideration. Its ridiculous. I have a daughter who was raised by me and my partner who is not gay nor has any inclinations of wanting to be. We should be able to take care of children and give them safe loving homes. Too many children are abused in a traditional family setting and foster care. My wife and I are waiting for the senate to allow same sex partners federal benefits...and we will fight for the rights of those we can in this lifetime.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Ashlyn

My best friend is gay. He could meet the man of our dreams and not be able to marry him simply because he is gay. I could walk out on the street and marry a stranger simply because he is a man. It makes no sense.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA

There is no quote in the bible that says that marriage is just for a man and a woman

Good point!

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Shanny

@ Cathy,

YES let them adopt and raise children. I've seen a lot of crap heterosexual parents ruin multiple children while amazing gay and lesbian people have not been able to bring children into their loving, stable homes where education and arts and sports and travel and expectations for good behaviour are the norm.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Judges shouldn't overrule the will of the people.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Rich Robinson

This is a good night for all Americans who believe in the fundamental rights as espoused in our constitution, particularly the 14th amendment. And there is one group, members of whom reside in every community across this country, who, perhaps silently tonight breath a sigh of relief because they have had little voice in the gay-marriage debate, yet, it directly impacts their hopes and dreams for their futures. I speak of children, gay children specifically. They exist everywhere: communities, families and schools and like all other people, they need to know that they are entitled to our respect and love and, most importantly, the constitution is there for them, too.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Gail

Maggie Gallagher is saying that marriage is about children and bringing life into the world etc. So if you are an opposite-sex couple where the woman, for instance, is unable to have children is not constitutionally allowed to get married? Hmm .. .

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Nina

In my experience I find gay couples very attentive to their children.

August 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Nancy in Oregon

I agree Sree Nanduru, God is used so self-righteously sometimes to back up someone's opinion....like kids use 'my Mom says', as if it gives their idea authority.

August 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |