August 4th, 2010

California same-sex marriage ban repealed: Join the Live Chat

Prop 8, the California ban on same-sex marriage has been ruled unconstitutional. You'll hear from both sides on this historic ruling. Is the well in the Gulf finally dead? But what about all that oil that's already poured into the Gulf? Tom Foreman visited the town of Shell Beach today to find out how they're feeling about the news. And find out how a Facebook page led to a stricter drunk driving sentence, in our Crime & Punishment story. We'll have that plus much more tonight on AC360°.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Greg

How many times did Jesus or his disciples try to change the laws of the countries where they lived? Never. If you really believe in God and aspire to enter heaven, then why are you so concerned with the laws of men? You are not thinking straight. Believers should just live their lives according to their beliefs, but should not try to make their faith into the law.

August 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Emily

That's the one thing that I don't understand...
    How did 1 Judge overturn this?

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Grant MacDonald

It is a sometimes rare occurrence to fall in Love and to hold that person in your heart and be loved in return ... it is something that should be celebrated! If it is between two guys or girls all the better. It takes even more courage to defend that LOVE!

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Karen

A minority issue should never be determined by a vote. Go for it Judge!

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  5. barry c

anderson..another god interview..but she is not making the point with facts...

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Susan - Denver

Is guest Maggie Gallagher married?

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Tracey Street

Hello anderson, 360 crew, and watchers worldwide. I'm glad that the gay marriage ban was seen unconstitutional. homosexuals should have the same freedoms as everyone else.

August 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  8. beatrice

Maybe marriage should be redefined in our dictionaries. common sense can tell the difference that it is between a male and female

August 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Nina

There are some heterosexual marriages that do not take care of their children. The parents are busy doing other things. In my experience I find gay couples very attentive to their children.

August 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Phil in Indiana

Judge Vaughn gave a reasoned and enlightened opinion. When will people realize that this is simply about justice and civil rights. It doesn't matter how many people are against gay marriage, equal rights will win in the end.

August 4, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Di Berube

A marriage requires two people who care and wish to support each others goals, so that they can become more then they could on their own.

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

Maggie Gallagher really seems to feel so threatened....I guess this is where I am just lost. I can't imagine why it is so threatening to some. You are right, Sharon Hastings...aren't there more real threats out there to everyone that deserve the energy, money, and emotion?

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  13. guy

"California here i come, right back where i started from..."
    Congrats to my birth state for recognizing the injustice that was written into law. To all friends and future families we wish you the best. You have now been recognized and I hope you behave accordingly. Nobody can stop you from loving each other anymore. Once again, congratulations!

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Sophia

Pro-Prop 8 people have not presented any legitimate logical arguments to support their position. They're arguments are based only on fear-mongering and religious dogma.

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Shanny

Good point! Just because something is not popular does not mean that it is not moral or ethical or legal. Good on this judge for understanding the difference.

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Why is a man-woman marriage sacred? Aren't there couple's who have affairs behind each others back or displeased with each other?

If only there were no divorces, or augmentation of rate of separations, one could argue about the sacred nature of man-woman relationship.

Human's use god as a leverage for anything they want to agree to.

If god created some one powerful than a man/woman and put them on top of a food chain (leaving us second), wonder what we would be like today? Sure, we will have more unity amongst us!

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Michael Wright

The constitution of The United States was honored today. Get this into the Supreme Court quickly. No more state by state decision making! Anderson, you are asking GREAT questions and getting right to the heart of it all. Thank you.

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Deanna Johnson

I think the same-sex marriage ban being overturned is a good thing.

August 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Patricia, Denver CO

Anderson is right on top of all these issues and arguments! Great questions, AC !

August 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Kelly

what is the definition of 21st century definition of marriage....

August 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Stephanie b

Being a woman in a same sex relationship, i think that the intolerence of the government is ignorant. Why not give us the same right as a heterosexual couple? Marriage is a union of love between two people. Period

August 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  22. RJ

Gov't policy for supporting heterosexual marriage has been done for one purpose only, to continue our species and therefore our continuation of our nation. How can one fault or delude that?

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Cathy

Now what? They want to be able to adopt and raise children. Prop 8 should have never been over turned.

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Robert in Miami, Congratulations!

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm not sure where I stand on Prop 8. I know for sure that I agree with Janine from Pa,,that I would like to see the day when this isn't an issue and I know that gay couples can't possibly be a threat to heterosexual couples.........I guess what I'm trying to say is respect and fairness for all couples .

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Karen, MN

I have been married and divorced. I don’t think you need a legal piece of paper from the state you live in to say your committed to someone, but if homosexuals want to get married I’m glad they can. I think they have been married in their heart and that is what counts.

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

I have to say that I agree, I don't see how same sex marriages would affect or impact in anyway opposite sex marriages.

The decision to overturn proposition 8 is stayed at this pt?

August 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  28. David

May California once again be at the forefront for the fight for gay rights in America. I am almost surprised it took so long for this to came to fruition in California.

August 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Shanny

My buddies adopted an unwanted child and are fabulous, doting parents. Marriage affords them the protections that "straight' marriages have. If nothing else, their child deserves that security.

August 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  30. RJ

The overturning of Prop 8 is American and anyone who thinks otherwise is un-American, I'd say. I can't imagine how anyone could believe in a discriminatory "god." That is man-made.

August 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Susan - Denver

Yayyy! Discriminationm has no place in America.

August 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Monroe

Proposition 8. Makes you wonder what Proposition 9 was. Allow ppl to marry whom they choose. Ppl judge primarily on their religious beliefs/morals. Separation of church and state folks.

33. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Looks like the 9th circuit court in California is going to be very busy this year. AZ immigration law is headed up there as well.

job security for judges!

34. Justin B.

Great work Judge – let's see if the world as we know will come crumbling down! Equal rights for all!

35. Sharon Hastings

At JoAnn, North Royalton: Well said.

With so many real threats out there to deal with, gays marrying can hardly rise to the level of a "threat".

36. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Jo Ann...it's not like traditional marriage is in a strong and beautiful place. If a traditional couple feels threatened, I think I'd suggest they look closer to home for the real cause.

37. Tenetra-Clinton, MS

It is about time Prop 8 is struck down. Congrats to California! But it will be a journey until same sex marriage is legal in the state.

38. Dan in Lafayette,In

Well here we go guys we are setting up the abomination that Jesus had talked about in the end times where it should not be, here in the new world!

39. Quasar

When Christians, Muslims, Government and some other religions of the world realize that judement belongs to God; this will be a better place.
    I am against judging people, and for staying out of peoples lives.

40. Salvador from lake tahoe, CA

I think this is awesome. Being a gay man I think this a milestone of some sort. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new era. I respect the ideals of others, however we GLBT have a right to be happy and treated fair just like a heterosexual couple.

41. Amy

What a day this is! I am so overjoyed and emotional about this long awaited decision to give the people of California basic civil rights. I could not be happier. Hopefully the appeal does not change a thing, and this phenomenon can spread through the nation!

42. Hans

Another small step for basic human rights. Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, we are all americans and deserve the same rights.

43. Robert Goulet-Miami

Today is our 20th anniversary and what a glorious way to celebrate! We should be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary not our 20th anniversary together.

44. Grant MacDonald

United States is supposedly fighting for democracy but within the U.S. they treat gays like secondary citizens. Being black or being gay is just as natural. If blacks or women’s rights were cast to the masses to decide … then the majority or lunatic fringe in this case - has the advantage to decide minority rights.

45. Bob Stevens

Marriage is marriage, ketchup is ketchup, mustard is mustard. You cannot re-define what marriage is. Man, woman, precreate and have children. Show me one gay couple that can naturally procreate and I'll accept that they can "marry". I am for domestic partnerships.

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Anthony Shuba

We have had gay marriage up in Canada for years now, and the world still goes on.

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

There is no quote in the bible that says that marriage is just for a man and a woman

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Nina

@ Casey

I feel the same way. I also live in California and this is discrimination plain and simple!

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Kelly

call me a republican, call me a democrat, call me a fundamentalist, call me a idealist.... how can we debate gay rights on marriage when we have lost the fundamentals of religion....

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Jerry Ireland

this is not an activist judge,this is a judge who is following the constitution.I am gay and Im so happy although its a small step for Equality but its a good one..

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |