August 4th, 2010

California same-sex marriage ban repealed: Join the Live Chat

Prop 8, the California ban on same-sex marriage has been ruled unconstitutional. You'll hear from both sides on this historic ruling. Is the well in the Gulf finally dead? But what about all that oil that's already poured into the Gulf? Tom Foreman visited the town of Shell Beach today to find out how they're feeling about the news. And find out how a Facebook page led to a stricter drunk driving sentence, in our Crime & Punishment story. We'll have that plus much more tonight on AC360°.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

It wil be interesting to see what the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says on this.

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  2. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I don't get it. Why would anyone care if gays marry? ridiculous! Can you believe that we are still talking about this in 2010?

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  3. David VanMeter

AC – you had asked why not domestic partnership?
    I am a Gay Male and my partner of 8 years is not a citizen. If I were entitled to Marriage – he would be granted citizenship... Domestic Partnership DOES NOT offer this and therefore is NOT EQUAL to marriage.
    thanks

August 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nancy,
    They have to rights get same-sex marriage across the country.... They would like same-sex marriage somewhere, our state bans also.

August 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Libby ~

Casey in Palm Springs, CA .. I heard a lot about how the Mormon Church paid millions and millions to influence that vote, but was never sure of the details... It sure sounded like many Californians later regretted their vote though..

August 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Bob

When people vote, its supposed to mean something. The votes were overturned by a judge who does not care about the rite of a voter. He did not like it when the gay population whined because they were outvoted. What is the purpose of voting. the gay population is the minority, but i guess it does not matter what is right and wrong. Its about them getting their way

August 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Shamara Myers Lynchburg, TN

Sexual Orientation does justify as a Civil Right. It sickens me when they compare the Gay Agenda to Civil Rights. People in my family worked hard for equality based on the color of skin, but sexuality has nothing to do with it.

August 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Well, I'm all about doing God's will. Count me as one of the ten's!"

August 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Courts should not overrule what the population has voted for over and over. There has never been a popular vote for gay marriage nationwide. Every time it's been on the ballot it has been defeated.

August 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "How is gay couples marrying any kind of threat to heterosexual couples?"

I have never heard anyone really answer that question. I think those that oppose gay marriage should be more concerned with the out of control divorce rate. That is the real threat to heterosexual marriage.

August 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Emily

This debate I find very ironic...
    I remember when the "straight" community was fighting for the right to stay in a "serious" relationship by not getting married. To be given the "same rights" as a married couple and not looked down on...

Now the Gay Community wants to marry & show just how serious their relationship is and they have to fight for it...

August 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Casey, Schwartzenegger was quoted as saying that he was against gay marriage back when he was elected govenor. I am happy that he has changed his mind because that shiws that he is for all people in his state and not just a certain groupof people

August 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Keith

A society that permits everything, stands for nothing – we have no values.
    Perversion won today. A sign of a declining society.

August 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Janine...Unfortunately, religion (primarily the Mormon church) has inserted themselves into our political process in such a way that they have wasted millions of taxpayer dollars with this nonsense. THAT infuriates me...

August 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I was not here when god or the ultimate power decided that a man and a woman should marry.

I am not sure how it came to become the truth. 1000's of years down the lane, I am sure when we all are gone, that generation will think, god made that rule too.

Religion is being pushed into every aspect and every corner of news...

keep religion away from practical aspects...I am glad Tony (BP) did not pull the religion in to the disaster!

August 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Emily

@Sree Nanduru,
    That would be great if you were indeed 'wrong'... I wonder if we will ever Really know! Also, how much oil is left in that well? I still have never heard that....

August 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Shanny

Congratulations to everyone in California! This is good news!

August 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  18. barry c

these rights are civil rights....good interview andeson

August 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather,
    Governor Schwarzengger is also ban that same-sex. But I think he will have sign this bill Prop 8.....

August 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Brad Ohio

Good evening Anderson and all! I think we are all very optimisticly happy about the well being plugged, but the amount of oil that erupted into the Gulf was more like 11 times greater than the Exxon Valdez as of day 75. Downplaying the numberss is not going to help the victims (people and the environment) but serves nothing more than to relieve BP of their financial responsibility. Let's not advertise underinflated numbers for the benefit of BP.

August 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Heather...Schwarzenegger's name was used simply as a representative of the state of California. It does not reflect the Governor's position on the issue.

August 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Shamara Myers Lynchburg, TN

Rationalization is not always the key. Same sex marriage is not marriage it is a man made creation. Marriage is between a man and a woman the way of the natural order; God's way.

August 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Emily

If Gays want to freely enter into an institution, I say go for it!

August 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Derek

I don't think I'll marry in this life...man nor woman. If, if I took my personal religious beliefs out of th equation my though would be gay and lesbian people are not trying to rewrite the constitution on marriage and that gay and lesbians should be afforded the same equal rights as heterosexuals in regard to marriage. The day is cooming for gay marriages. However, I believe the institution of marriage is between man and woman.

August 4, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,
    I'm so glad to see the Prop 8 passed. I know several same-sex marriages that have a beautiful commitment. This is great news!

August 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Nina

Prop 8 should have never been on a ballot. Gay marriage needs to be treated like religion and ethnic culture. This is discrimination. Plain and Simple! This is terrible!

August 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

Sometimes I'm surprised (but should not be, I know!) how readily human beings try to deny others the chance for equal happiness in life. Why try to hoard happiness and not let others have their share? I don't get it!' How is gay couples marrying any kind of threat to heterosexual couples? Are they afraid someone will come after their spouse?!

August 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Janine from PA

Good Evening AC 360
    I'm sure this prop 8 fight will be appealed on and on. I'd like to see the day when this is not an issue, and gay people can marry as stright people can. What I feel is shameful is that religious groups spent millions to get prop 8 on the ballot and voted on, is this what they should be doing with their money?

August 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I felt that I am not surprised that Judge Vaughn ruling overturned same-sex marriage, I prefer one individual marry man and woman. I am disappoint his ruling.

August 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@Emily – I am sure, we are all asking the same questions as you just did.

That is the whole caveat all by itself. It's probably under water some where in plumes....I could be wrong and I would be really happy, if I am...

August 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

BTW, BRAVO 360 for getting these two lawyers on the program tonight! Well done.

August 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Michael Armstrong Sr.

We have two different laws in America which are Gods law and then mens law I for one will to continue beleaving in God .

August 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Libby ~

Hi everyone!! Megan in beautiful Shoreline, WA... my goal is to some day make your "hi" and "bye" list.. 🙁 *sigh*

Regarding the Prop 8 case, it is so neat to see a progressive attorney working with a conservative attorney for one cause. Bi-partisanship is so awesome 😀

August 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am confused by Schwartzenegger, he was against gay marriage but he now supports it? I think he has fully turned into a politician now, he is flip-flopping

August 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I am greatly disappointed about the stay because of the immediate economic impact we will enjoy in our market (if not the entire state) if there wasn't a stay.

August 4, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening.

Looking forward to tonights show.

August 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Glad to see the ban repealed! This is a step in the right direction

August 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Cessy - Chicago

Hello! and good evening to you amazing 360 staff and fans!

Hi! Anderson 🙂

same sex marriage ban: small, but victorious step for California

August 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Emily

If 75% of the oil is gone, where did that go, and what effects does that have? Does anyone know?
    Of the 25%, how much is on the bottom of the ocean, and shores?
    Also... how does anyone know it's 75% % 25%?

August 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Judge Walker..."A private moral view that same-sex couples are inferior to opposite-sex couples is not a proper basis for legislation."

August 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. As if we haven't had enough controversy and lively discussion, here we go again, huh? I am very happy about the ruling in California.

August 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening Emily, Megan, everyone. I hope your week goes well.

August 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good evening all. Hope all is well with you.

Looks like a full night with a lot of news for Anderson to cover

August 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    Even with the ruling, it seems the same-sex marriage controversy won't end any time soon.

August 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Wednesday night!

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening. I wouldn't miss this broadcast for anything tonight. I'll skip the celebration and just say I'm not surprised about the ruling in California.

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

Lots of news...

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Hello Anderson (nice red tie), AC360 crew and fellow bloggers!

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. sounds like it's going to be an interesting show tonight!

August 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm |