July 29th, 2010

Ariz. Immigration Law Takes Effect: Join the Live Chat

Arizona's new immigration laws went into effect today and sparked protests that are still going on tonight. We'll have all the angles. Plus, Congressman Charlie Rangel can't make a deal to avoid a potentially embarrassing public trial. He's facing 13 ethics charges. We'll talk it over with CNN's Jeffrey Toobin and Gloria Borger.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dawn Johnson, Phoenix Arizona

I hate what this is doing to our state. This is ripping us apart and over what? Officers having the right to racial profile when they already have probable cause? What happend to America being the land of the free? What happened to helping fellow mankind? I don't think we should just open our borders right out, but maybe make it a bit easier for all humans to get a piece of the american dream

2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

"Working hard" is not an excuse to break the law.

3. Otto Knutt

I support AZ bill 1070. My grand parents were immigrants in the early 20th century. They had to have a sponsor, learn the language, pass a citizenship examination, have a job, swear allegiance to the USA and most importantly not bring in any of their predjudices and assimilate into the American society, a melting pot, not a whole bunch of different cultures. They also had to obey the laws or they would be deported. Why do people have a problem with the word illegal? Come in the front door and you try to come in the back door, you get what you deserve a trip back to that wonderful vacation spot called Mexico.

4. Nicholas

In the end, illegal immigrants are illegal and should be deported. Most Americans walk around w/ some form of state ID- Whats so bad about this bill? I honestly don't get it.....

5. Milo

I call this law "The anti latino Law". I bet thew won't ask Asian or Europeans to show papers.

6. Marie, Ky

I'm behind Arizona all the way! The illegal immigration situation is out of control! .Illegal immigration should be treated as a crime in every state and the illegals and their kids deported and the borders closed. They are draining this country dry!

7. Bill Fowell, Mesa, Arizona

This law goes beyond the worrisome "racial profiling" that California is so worried about. (15 buses today from La La land).
    It is the drug and human smuggling that goes on daily at the Arizona border.
    Sheriff Joe is "enforcing the law" in Maricopa County. If you don't like the law, turn left when you cross the border and head for the sanctuary state! What will Congress do? This is an election year, so guess what? NOTHING AS USUAL.
    This problem isn't new as Arizona has had this problem for the last 30 years.

8. eliotj

The law in every state says that I MUST show identification when approached and asked by police. Why should any immigrant be excluded? NOW I'm being discriminated against.
    This is not about Hispanic. The police could simply ask EVERY person they stop to prove it. I'd gladly produce my passport card..drivers license or social security card. The hispanics are the racists. They're not being targeted – ILLEGAL immigrants are being targeted – no matter their country of origin.
    EVERY American is sworn to uphold the laws of the constitution of the united states.
    Illegal immigrants don't have rights here. They don't have the right to free healthcare, free educations and free rides of any types.

9. brianna

So I was curious when immigration was strikly focused toward Mexicans? I think if everyones going to make abig deal about sending those who are in our country illegaly back to their native lands then they need to focus on every ethnicity that is here illegaly. Where are there laws??????????

10. marling

I don't think this is about immigration, I think this is about White fear. Fear of becoming a minority in this country...

11. James, NJ

The citizens of Arizona have a right to protect and defend their borders. Any state legislation that does not violate the right of its citizen and the human rights of any person within Arizona should not be superseded by the federal government. Its their land, its their border, their safety...

12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't care why they are coming here they have to wait their turn just like everyone else. Why do they think they should get special treatment?

13. Charllie

In Surprise AZ we want to thank thank all the out of state protesters that will be supporting our economy. Hotel vacancy is lower than this time last year and I'm sure the restaurants downtown appreciate the business.

14. Jaime

The ilegal aliens that should be arrested are all these so called Americans, you all have to remember that when you first came here you killed the natives to claim this your land. This is not your land. You should leave these peacfull people alone. They too are only seeking better land just like you all did.

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Lawrence

The people against the Arizona law seem to ignore the truth and base their arguments on what they have decided to be the truth. How can you reason with people like that?

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  16. charles

If you drive, then you have entered into a contract with the state and it's laws and have already given what is known as implied consent to consent to whatever may be asked of you from the police officer. why not if you're legal? If you ask everyone if they're legal, there's no racism. It's naieve of the opposition to assume racism and discrimination is inherently involved in every traffic stop.

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Gino

what solution does Rev Sharpton propose about illegal immigration he only states the federal government protection but never comes up with a solution

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

When law enforcement stops anyone, usually there's been an infraction or traffic violation committed. What's asked for? Driver's license, auto registration and proof of insurance. If these are not provided, they take other steps to find out about you and may take you in until proved otherwise. No different than anyone else. Basically, something has to happen before questions are asked. Believe me, there are not enough people to spend time profiling people. Law enforcement is there "to protect and to serve".

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

Joined you just in time to see Congressman Charlie Rangel relaxing after all those years of hard work!

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is right decison poll I have favor 50 to 40!!!! Awesome!

July 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

If Sherrif Arapaio is in effect deputized by the federal govt would it make sense to extend that authority to other sherrifs in areas with high levels of illegal immigration?

What is the decision, Muller vs ? that Sen Pierce is referring to?

Rev Sharpton's pt about more personnel at the border under this admin is significant consideration.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  22. miguel ramirez

This is crazy. If I bought a ticket to go to the Braves game, and I sat down by the third base line, but I actually had a nose bleed ticket, someone would check my ticket and send me back to my real seat. The same should go for illegal immigrants. This is coming from a Mexican American. I wholeheartedly support the Arizon law.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  23. stan Willis

How come an officer can stop me for a traffic violation. Ask me for ID. Detain me while he checks my license AND my background , Ask me questions. And I am ok with that. Illegal means illegal.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Janet

i am confused. why is it hispanics only that is being targeted in arizona when you have other nationalities that is illegal too? does one nationality get more attention than the other only cause of the skin colour facial looks etc? something is not ringing true.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Lynn

If you are a legal immigrant in Arizona or in the
    US then you have nothing to worry about, if you are here illegally than you need to go back to where you came home. It is as simple as that.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Ed

Please explain this excerpt from the usconstitution.net site.

Article III, Section 2, clause 2:

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the Supreme Court shall have original jurisdiction.

This appears to indicate that a District Court Judge has no legal standing in the Arizona law case. Only the Supreme Court has jurisdiction, hence the term "original".

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  27. chris

The bottom line is the feds aren't doing their job, so the state has to. Cops are dying. States are going broke. Enough is enough.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  28. wendy

Why is it that we are some are more interested in protecting people that are there "ILLEGALLY" than protecting those of us who pay our taxes and are here legally. I just don't understand what the argument is. If it's illegal, it's illegal. What is the difference in speeding, or shooting someone. Those acts are illegal too, but people are punished for it.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Jim

Thank you senator pierce for your very strong beliefs, and the Governor of our state to continue to persue the justice that we deserve in Az. .

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Paulina Jones

Something needs to be done about this situation. I am white and if I get pulled over for speeding or anything else, I am 100% sure, I will not be questioned about my immigrations status, even though I am from Canada here on a work visa. But my neighbors who are legal and hispanic will be profiled!!!!! This is a bad law, but look at AZ they just started celebrating MLK day a few years ago.

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Sandy

If you're in United States Illegal , you should be sent back to
    the country , you're from . >>> plain and simple <<<<

Let's not have "open borders " , you think you've issues now
    it will be worse .

32. Morgan

As an Arizonan I support SB1070. I also support LEGAL immigration. When you have 10% of another country's population in your country illegally, you have a problem. I was not raised as a racist and I resent the insinuation that because I support this I'm racist. I simply want the law enforced.

33. Aundrea

Arizona just appears to be upholding the law, why is everyone freaking out? of course they have to ask, they spend 2.7 billion a year of taxpayers money on illegal citizens, why arent we all in support of upholding or changing the laws? It makes no sense.

34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

As a Texan I think we should have the right to ask for citizenship papers. But what about the employers? Hmm? Aren't they the reason illegals are coming here? They should be fined !!!

35. travis

We need to get over it and just protect are boarders people like sharpton are just looking for headlines

36. Janice

I was born and raised in Arizona in fact my mother and father were also born and raised in Arizona. I feel the US Government is not protecting me as a US Citizen and therefore I look to my State to do so. If they can't I feel I have the riight to sue the US Government for not protecting me.

37. Eric Walker, Miami FL

Does anyone notice that Sheriff Joe Apraio is performing raids on companies that are hiring illegal aliens. How does he know and the companies do not ?

38. Dick Locke

The FEDS profile everyday at airports, seaports and boarder crossings and if they say they don't...they are lying.

Dick Locke
    Quincy, Florida

July 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Michael Armstrong Sr.

This should not even be an issue the government should be ashamed in there failure to secure our constitution .

40. jacob

We must protect our boarders. For far too long America has been refuge to illegal immigrants and given them so much. We have ways to come into this country legally and millions of people have used this way successfully. God Bless America, God Bless Arizona I wish I lived in a state that loved it's people that much.

41. Brad Ohio

If I were a Democrat involved with Rangle I'd run too, but they can't hide!

42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"They do their dirty work first, and then they ask questions later!"

43. Dodie

The United States is more than a collection of individual cities, counties, and states. It is this unity that has allowed us to continue to grow and aspire as a nation. Without harmony, we will end up in chaos.

44. Imran

Hi Anderson and everyone else.....

Interesting situation..... half of the people are for this law and half are against it.... Both sides are playing politics and making their base happy...

45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why don't the protesters go to Mexico and criticize the Mexican government for not taking care of its people? They are the ones responsible for all of this illegal immigration.

July 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Mandy

Government should start checking all expired tourist, professional, work and study visas if they REALLY want to attack illegal immigration. It would be interesting to see how the numbers of those that enter legally but STAY ILLEGALLY compare to the number of people that cross over from Mexico.

July 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

People in Arizona and/or who are supporters of this law keep saying we don't understand how serious a problem they have. I don't think it's that we don't understand. It's that we disagree about how to fix the problem. It is discouraging I'll agree that all these presidents couldn't deal effectively with this problem.

The federal government should put politics aside, deal with the problem and enforce laws already on the books. As much as I disagree with their new law, Arizona is just trying to do what the federal gov't refuses to do.

July 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Bernadine

The law is rediculous, If they can not keep them out of the country, make them legal when they arrive and tax their income. They are people just like our ancestors were, looking for a better way of life.

July 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Kenya

@Eric Walker

Republicans cease to amaze me! Why is it that that when they become so concerned with the problems of its citizens, they pick on the poor. In the 80's it was 3 strikes your out. If they want to stop the hiring of illegal immigrants propose a $25K/employee fine on companies. If they can not find jobs they will go. There is no need to harrass them
    ____

Yes Eric, I couldn't agree with you more!

July 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Lori, CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone!

July 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm |