July 22nd, 2010

Tropical Storm Takes Aim at Gulf: Join the Live Chat

Forecasters warn Tropical Storm Bonnie is headed for the Gulf. We have the breaking developments on what this means for the BP oil disaster. Plus, Shirley Sherrod gets an apology from Pres. Obama.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sydney

I'm a 60-yr-old woman, grew up in the South, now live in Massachusetts. Sherrod did no wrong...she only shared her story of long ago to help people struggling with that issue today. In the world of "sound bites" somebody moved too quickly & made the wrong decision. Brietbart doesn't care about the truth. This woman should get her job back.

July 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Christopher

I think the President listens to AC 360. When Anderson asked Ms. Sherrod last night whether she would want to hear from President Obama, I had no doubt that it would happen. I am happy for how the events have played out since this all began, and it shows just what a powerful tool media can be especially when used to right a wrong.

July 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Lori, CA

These smears are terrible.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily 'What's Andrew Breitbart hoping to get out of this?
    What are his real motives?'

I think he is just tring to get attention because controversy gets everyone attention and he wants his fifteen minutes in the light

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Jo Ann, Who am i to judge her story, saw the whole clip. I do not know what it is like to have had the experiences she has had. I am not a black woman- in Georgia. I don't look at her story as she has racist feelings.
    I look at her story as having experienced racism. I disagree with you.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think its good that President Obama spoke with Shirley Sherrod.
    It's just to bad that she was smeared like this. Its a sad situation and President Obama has so many issues in our country that need his attention.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  7. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole everyone.

Well I agree, it seems like even a brief check with Ms Sherrod would've revealed the thrust of her speech. And talking to members of the audience would've shown how that speech was received.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Lori, CA

Hello Anderson! Hello Everyone! Good evening.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Heyward

Andrew Breitbart should not be let off the hook, he attempted to destroy Mrs.Sherrod life with his lies. I hope an in depth investigation is done on him and his credibility should be examined. I too would like to know the work he's done to help Americans join and work together.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

While I believe without a doubt that Breitbart's claim that the NAACP is racist is true; he shouldn't have selectively edited the tape.

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"That man is up to 'no good', he went through all that trouble to set up that tape. He is the one who has the problem!"

July 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Emily

I didn't hear Shirley Sherrod say that she was offered her original job back...I wonder why that was?

July 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I wish Andew Brietbard must get out of Republican party!!! I don't believe my eyes, He never apology to Shirley Sherrod, Shirley is standing up herself strike back to him. I agree with her.

July 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Laura

This interview with Breitbart should be very interesting.

July 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  15. David

Good evening AC and to all others. AC you're the best! CNN has done an outstanding job on the Sherrod story. CNN is the real Fair and Balance News Network. You make me proud! Go AC!!!!

July 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

What's Andrew Breitbart hoping to get out of this?
    What are his real motives?

July 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

For something this politically charged you KNOW the Secretary would have checked with the White House before forcing the resignation. There is more to this than we know. Keeping digging Anderson.

July 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Jane - WI

So because Andrew Breitbart doesn't like the current President's policies and goes against him, Ms. Sherrod calls him a racist.
    I'm curious....there were many black people who didn't like President Bush or his policies and openly protested against him. does that make those black people racist as well?

July 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Terry in Chandler, AZ

I hope and pray that Bonnie fizzles. But I'm afraid that Billy N. will be telling the media, "I told you so." In reference to his plan to
    build numerous and large sand berms. I hope Anderson has Billy on tonight.

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. carla

what will andrew do when he meets karma...because she's coming

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

I would think about a defirmation (sp?) suit against Brietbart if I were her.....

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The captain of a ship is responsible for everything that happens on the ship. President Obama apparently feels no responsibility for what his people do. he should have apologized.

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Brad Ohio

Good evening Anderson and all. Breitbart has not yet seen the full wrath of this woman's scorn! Ms. Sherrod, you are incredible honorable and deserve all good things to come.

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Kathryn PlymMtg PA

Anderson, Great analysis of what you believe; your commitment to the tenet that it is everyone's responsibility to focus on truth. Keep trying maybe your honest style of reporting will catch on. Thank you!

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. I am very happy about the apologies made to Mrs. Sherrod and the efforts to right the wrong done to her. Lots of people have egg on their face. I'm still very worried about our political climate of the day. The whole knee jerk thing scares me really. I mean what if something really awful happens and people at the White House and elsewhere are bouncing around like pinball machines.
    These people need to be calmer, more thoughtful, more deliberate, less reactionary, more responsible, more "grown-up". And they're that afraid of Glenn Beck?????? Sheesh.

July 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Kenya

Mr. Cooper you should invite Ms. Cook on the show for your "keeping them honest" segment.

July 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nicole The Netherlands, "The lack of fact checking and asking questions is to blame"

That is true, but the unedited tape does not change the fact that Sherrod still harbors racist feelings.

July 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

The more I hear about Breitbart, the more upsetting this is becoming. By not caring for Ms. Sherrod, he was just using her for his gain and yet destroying her in the process. This is just not right. She is a noble lady who is certainly taking the high road on all this.

July 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Mrs. Sherrod must remember that any thing his staff does is his responsibility and he holds total fault because they are the people he put in charge .

July 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  30. vic , nashville tn

we seen the real journalism from CNN thanks

July 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Anne Carroll Williams in Louisiana

Sigh. Another storm, more anxiety, tell me again...why do I live in Louisiana?

July 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Nicole The Netherlands

Not the media culture is to blame.
    The lack of fact checking and asking questions is to blame.
    Check the facts before you fire someone...

July 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Briebard needs to get out more

July 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Anderson, thanks for the brief description of what "journalism" is and should be.

I always have admired your other comment that says, "get out to the real world and see it for yourself vs. from behind the news desk"

Thanks again for the relentless efforts...

July 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Gail Duncan

Howdy folks, happy to join in from germany. Stayed up just to watch and be informed. Let's get it on.

July 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hi, David, Isabel, Gabriela, Nichole, Emily, Nancy, Megan, Mike, Casey, Sree, everyone.

Excellent dissertation on the Sherrod story & all of its components.

July 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

July 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Merl,Ohio

Hi Anderson, Has Ms. Sherrod made a decision yet?

July 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh no!!!!!!!!! I also disagree with Andrew Brietbard's comment....... I agree with my man Anderson said! Good point!

July 22, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Heather - Spokane, WA

Sorry, but if this was not about Shirley Sherrod then why did he pick her video to 'edit' and post on his blog?

July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Kenya

Andrew Breitbart is just making himself look worse!

July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening .

Looking forward to tonights show.

July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening Anderson! Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson and AC360 Team! Emily, Starr, Jo ann, David, Sree, Isabel, Karin, Gloria, Sharon, Nancy everyone!

July 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening everyone!

July 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Anderson, AC360 Team and fellow bloggers!

Looking forward to a great show tonight. Too bad to hear about storms affecting the well operation.

July 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Kenya

Good evening all

July 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight.
    I hope everyone stays safe from the coming tropical storm.

July 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, David Gergen, Nicole, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!

July 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 Team, Megan, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Sue, David, Nicole, Gloria, Heather, Di, Samantha and other bloggers!

Haven't been here yesterday at all and for not more than first 15 minutes all week...kind of missed ya all!

July 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm |