July 13th, 2010

Tracking the Money for Haiti: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson reports live from Haiti where some work has been done to help the victims of January's earthquake, but so much more is needed. We're tracking the cash that was promised, and has not arrived. Plus, the latest on the new containment cap in the Gulf. Will it finally stop the oil leak?

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

A wonderful report by Gary! Loved the shot of him and the little boy, so sweet! It is touching to see that this child has such a friendly demeanor even living under those terrible conditions.

As usual, Gary's reports have really humanized this tragedy. He really makes the viewers understand that these victims are flesh and blood individuals who are suffering, not just a mass of unknown faces.

So glad to hear that the conditions in the nursing home have improved!

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  2. lisal -canada

some google guys tracking dots on warehouses?? that is really funny. but it is so true – it would not take much – if there is a communication system in place ... hmm ...

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you and good night Anderson, Gary, Dr. Gupta & Ivan. Also Team 360 in the field and in studio too. ALl of you in the field, pleast take care ans stay safe.

Good night all. Wising you a safe and pleasant day tomorrow.

Again Anderson et al, me, my family & friends thank you so much for your reporting from the Gulf and especially from Haiti. We, the people, would have no idea what is going on in Haiti without you and your teams honest and revealing reporting.
    You are going to make a big difference in Haiti with your present end of evening team review and report.

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Wonderful reporting, gentlemen!

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Peggy W.

Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Sean Penn, Gary Tuchman, Ivan Watson.
    God love you all. I am eighty years old, my husband is 83 and ill. We live on SS, but we sent whatever we could to help the Haitian people. To see them starving, dying because of no antibiotics, my God where is all of the money? I am heartbroken to see this. My husband and I were very worried that corrupt people would get their evil hands on it. That always seems to happen. Please keep up with what you are doing, You are all that the people of Haiti have. I just can't believe it. Is there anything we can do?

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Charles Bettertown

The question is not really so much about where is the money but where is the government oversight. The most disturbing report I have heard about the disaster over the past 6 months was your reporting that Customs wanted $1,000 to allow the $5,000 worth of supplies you took for a NGO. As long as corruption and greed continue to rule there, no amount of money will ever solve the root causes of the deep poverty in Haiti.

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

I hope things in Haiti can change for the better, there are alot of great people and children there who need it!

Have a good night everyone

July 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Great discussion tonight everyone! Thanks to Anderson, Sanjay, Gary and Ivan for staying on the stories that need to be told. You guys are a beacon of hope for us as well as the Haitian people. Love ya!

Have a great evening all!

July 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Lori from CA

Thank you CNN. Good night Everyone! Sweet dreams.

July 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Emily

Good night Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Gary, Ivan, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Isabel, Sree, Starr, Gloria, Sue, & Bloggers!

Great updates from Haiti....

Love all the stories that you have done with the Children! 🙂

Are you going to be in Haiti any longer?

July 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Jean Rene Delicieux

Hi Anderson How are you , I just want to thank you for returning back to Haiti, You and Doctor Sanje are doing an excellent job. I can tell you the food you see in the storage are going to sell by the gorvenment the people are not going to receive anything.Preval told you that there are no corruption in his gorvenment please do not listen to him because he is the father of corruption the people at the airport work for him he knows exactly what is going on do not let him full you . continue doing your job , you are excellent and also Doctor sanje.
    be safe overthere.and may God bless you.

July 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Sharon Hastings

Good to hear Gary Tuchman report on some good news about the seniors and their living situation improving so much. It's nice to have some positive stories too otherwise it's easy to be totally demoralized.

July 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  13. lisal -canada

well goodnite all – hope to hear more from haiti in the near future

July 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gary, Ivan and Dr Gupta are my favorites heroes to help each other in Haiti!!!!!! They are right.... That was so horrble earthquake since 6 months now.

July 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  15. Kenya

Thank you AC, Dr. G, Gary Tuchman, Ivan and the rest of the team for going back to Haiti and for your heartfelt reporting. The good people of Haiti are a treasure who need a light and voice for them..and that's what you all are.
    Goodnight.

July 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Emily

@Casey Jones,
    I also find it very disturbing that the Haitian President seems to have no control and/or leadership! He seems to have shown no interest at all!

July 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  17. Sue R. Canton MI.

@Cathy,,So happy to hear that you found your husband.

Its good to have people like Anderson,Dr.Gupta and Sean Penn be the voices of so many that want to be heard.

July 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Lee

Anderson, please speak to the structure that's in place in Haiti to account for all the money pledged. Is there a system in place that can assure these monies actually get to the victims instead of the pockets of corrupt politicians?

July 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Stephanie T.

I wonder how as a journalist and a humanitarian that you are able to seperate yourselves from the trajedies you see first hand? I know it is terrible enough to see what you're reporting on televsion but to actually be there must be an emotional challenge. Thank you for your sacrifice CNN!

July 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Giselle, Richmond, VA

Thank you Anderson and Dr. Gupta for returning to Haiti. Your reporting means so much! Anderson you always ask the tough questions. But I don't understand why more businesses have not provided bull dozers and equipment to remove debris to rebuilt. Additionally, have any actual structures been erected, enough with the tents! That is not decent and sustainable housing at all. In truth that is wasting money!! Real shelters must be build now. Secondly, I can not believe of all countries, France have not given any money! Are you serious. France has deep brutal roots in Haiti and used the people and country to build its wealth. Shame on FRANCE!!!!!!

July 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  21. ian

There is a permanent housing solution available in Haiti. its right up the street from where Anderson is shooting right now.

July 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  22. Patricia Philippe

Dear AC360
    Rene Prevel doesn't have a clue on what to do his sits on his butt and doesn't move a finger and thinks that the other countries help Its his country his people and doesn't care and takes the money and keeps it to himself n that corupted government

July 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  23. Francesca

Living in Phoenix, I can assure you that the temporary shelters will do nothing more than bake the occupants inside. To the bloggers in Haiti, do you have any permanent shelters built yet? Where are Haitians going to go if a hurrican strikes? There are 26 storm predicted for this year. God forbid one should hit Haiti.

July 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Emily

Great report from Gary!
    That boy was so cute! "Do you like girls?" Like any good four-year-old, he says, "No"...very cute!
    I hope that he finds some family, along with all those other children....

All of these AC360 Men, are wonderful with children! 😀

July 13, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

That little boy Jean is adorable! I hope someone is able to find his father

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Thanks to the International Rescue Committee for diligently working to reunite these children with their parents. Thanks Gary for the report.

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Poor boy........ he is looking for his father, My heartbreaking for him so sad,........ I am so helpless for boy........ Thanks Gary!!!!! That is so amazing reporting Gary, Thanks! 🙂

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Stephanie T.

It is just a shame! To imagine poverty so thick that you don't even have the resources to be with your children, so so sad!

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Lori from CA

.....and no family at four years old.

July 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Jim

It's time to PHYSICALLY REMOVE the Haitian officials from office and institue a 6-month U.S. military operation to efficiently deliver the humanitarian relief supplies. As long as Haitian GOVT. officials are running the SHOW, lives will be lost, millions of dollars will be squandered or stolen, and the innocent Haitian people will suffer.
    Otherwise, Anderson 360 can go ahead and plan to re-run this program in another 6-months as Haiti will still be in the same situation.

July 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Brian Slaunwhite, Nova Scotia, Canada

Emily your comment , "Someone said that the Canadian GG is from Haiti...interesting that Canada has sent nothing." Is correct and I am ashamed to say I am from Canada. Like I said the government stated on canadian TV that they have already released 150 million. They have been caught in another broken promise.

July 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Merl, Ohio

Thank you AC and all bloggers . Keep them honest. Good night.

July 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Lori from CA

Homelss at four years.

July 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  34. David, Indiana

Can there be tacit plan to move rubble for the present?

July 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Kenya

@Samantha Rowley
    For Admiral Thad Allen to boldly set a deadline of July 19th is dangerous. If this date comes and goes with no definitive results, he will get the heat from all of us (media and general public alike).
    _____

Mr. Cooper will keep him honest!

July 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Cathy

Anderson...I watched you for weeks, especially the first week of the earthquake...searching for my husband in your footage. I gave up the first time I saw bodies being dumped into mass graves. We were lucky...he was alive and finally able to call us on Friday, Jan. 15.

He's back in Haiti now helping family. He confirms what you're saying...he sees no progress. It's very sad.

Please keep Haiti in the news. Don't give up. Thank you! CB

P.S. Preval's government not corrupt?! Ha!

July 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  37. walt lang

My 8 yr old grandson got alot of $'s for his birthday in Apr. He went shopping for toys for the kid's in Haiti I contacted the Salvation Army and a Maj Polarek gave us an address and we shipped the toys and he made sure they got to some homeless kid's. If an 8 yr old can feel this way and his Pap can find away to make his birthday wishes come true, you can't tell me everyone else can't find away to help even in the smallest way. Could not have done without the Maj's help. I can't tell you how proud I am of my gradnson Hamilton.

July 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  38. doreen

As a Canadian I am thoroughly disgusted with our government. My donation came right out of my bank . Where is my matched donation?
    As I said earlier, NEVER AGAIN!
    Anderson I so appreciate your dedication to these disasters. You appear so disheartened. I would say you have been the greatest light to shine on this insanity. Just know you have done and are doing your best for the people of Haiti, Katrina, the Tsunami and the Gulf Coast. Continue shining the spotlight on the "big guys" and watch them squirm.

July 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Starr, formerly known as vincent

God Bless George Steinbrenner and my condolences to his family, friends & NYC.

I lived in NYC for a year. One of my favorite activities was watching nigt games of the Yankees. I'm still a Yankee fan to this day and Sreinbrenner never disappointed in adding the best to the team.

He will be missed and for sure there will not be another like him!

July 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Colton Harris-Moore will go back to Miami after he caught by Bahamas, Then will go home to my hometown for few weeks to go.

July 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Merl, Ohio

How much of the oil produced in the gulf goes for American use?

July 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Charles (Florida)

Haitian professionals (those who live inside and outside the country) must contribute to the reconstruction of their country. They should be asked to provide their free services or give cash. Haitians have more to gain from a healthy country than foreigners. They can't expect too much from international donors and refuse to participate in the effort to rebuild the nation. It should be one of the preconditions to disburs any fund to rebuild Haiti. Haitian professionals should match the fund with free services in several field such as education, engineering, agronornomy, geology, psychology, medicine and nurses.

July 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Linda

I am an RN who just spent 2 weeks in Leogane, Haiti, volunteering at the makeshift Hospital St.Croix. The epicenter was in Leogane. why is it that no mention of this devastated community is ever mentioned on TV, it all about Port-Au-Prince. The people of Leogane need just as much assistance & attention as do the people of PAP.

July 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Karen

At this point, there is not that much that will be changed in Haiti because the country has so many issues unresolved over centuries. When there is so much money involved, everybody is just waiting for their share of the pie and the victims will always be the haitian population. Thanks CNN for shedding the light on the situation but that is normal haitian reality. Trust me those warehouses will stay like that for so long while people are dying of hunger until of course those supplies get sold in the black market to the poor people for big profit... Such a shame to see our reality but if no credible party gets involved, Haiti will always be in a hole......

July 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Dee

That model tent city is an absolute joke! Can they not learn anything from the mistakes that they have already made in big cities – such as Amsterdam for example, with decentralisatoin? It leads to conurbation – the amalgamation of many towns, with more shanty towns – such as in this case. Council estates in Ireland & England, or the Projects in America? Putting a tent in a wide open vally – which has little, or no shelter, is exactly like pissing against the wind! Can they not recycle the bricks & morter? Even grind it down to a sand & build something solid, besides a timber frame, that'll rightly blow away in the wind. I know they are issues with the strength of recycled rubble, but can the not reinforce it with steel? What a waste of money. I understand temporary shelter is essential, but really, you should start as you mean to finish!

July 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  46. marie

I am a Senior Project Manager and am prepared to go to Haiti to help project managing the effective distribution of goods to the people, frankly I am not entirely surprised to see that the charities are not organised. They should get more "real" project managers to do rather than bureaucratic managers.

July 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Starr, formerly known as vincent

As always, Randi-Kaye is on the spot reporting from the Gulf. Randi is a hard working reporter, always appreciate her reports.

The moritorium is like being between the Devil and the deep blue sea (sorry for the unintended pun).

Do you risk further potential damage to the Gulf or do you support the economy.

July 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  48. lucien henry

the dead beat promise should be expected. Cosmetic politic is very common

July 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Merl, Ohio

60,000-80,000 barrels a day vs. sealing the well.

July 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  50. lisal -canada

well bouncing back and forth between the gulf and haiti should be an interesting mix of topics – so much still going on with each – i doubt that either will be forgotten

July 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |