July 13th, 2010

Tracking the Money for Haiti: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, Anderson reports live from Haiti where some work has been done to help the victims of January's earthquake, but so much more is needed. We're tracking the cash that was promised, and has not arrived. Plus, the latest on the new containment cap in the Gulf. Will it finally stop the oil leak?

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

For Admiral Thad Allen to boldly set a deadline of July 19th is dangerous. If this date comes and goes with no definitive results, he will get the heat from all of us (media and general public alike).

July 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton MI.

Although so much damage has already been done,,I hope and pray this cap will work. Such a huge ripple effect this disaster has caused as far as jobs and the eco system.

July 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

I see that BP still hasn't figured out what a real cap is..........

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

I want to be optimistic about BP's latest efforts. I really hope and pray that it works. But it has taken so long. 85 days. Why has it taken 85 days to replace this cap??

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Maury

I've been to Haiti 3 times since the earthquake. I'm saddened that so much food is as close to orphans in need.

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Emily

@Brian Slaunwhite,
    "I from Canada and our goverment had the nerve to go on tv yesterday and tell everyone that the have sent 150 million to the Haiti relief and have another 400 million ready to go."

Someone said that the Canadian GG is from Haiti...interesting that Canada has sent nothing.

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Brad

Why are they keeping all of that food in those warehouses. I guess they are keeping there so eventually the government people will just take the food and sell it to the very same people who it was donated for. What a shame things never change in Haiti, same old same Thanks Anderson for bringing light to this situation. The Haitian government is just to corrupt.

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Brian Slaunwhite, Nova Scotia, Canada

Without CNN no one would even know that relief is not getting out. It is time for the Haiti government to take better control of the Haiti Customs as someone is up to no good in my mind in Customs.

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Merl, Ohio

Who makes the call on seal or production?

July 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. emma

Anderson, and Dr. Gupta, I want to thank you both for following up on this matter. I was affraid something like that was going to happen, I heard they have a very corrupt government. Please please help those people. Do you know that you are the only people they can count on? I feel useless from here, but you can make the difference. Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU.

July 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Gayle

Where is the money?? Why hasn't the food been given to those who need it? The US dead-beat? Haiti needs to get a grip and start acting. Distribute the food. Put the money to getting rid of the rubble. This country needs to take action. They do not seem to be doing that without CNN and other pressures from the media. It is not a question of giving more money at this time. This government needs to do the right thing for the people. No matter how much money is given, how much food is donated, we, the US cannot be responsible for saving yet another country when we have so very many suffering here. Haiti needs to be held accountable.

July 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Laura in Canada

No one could come up with a name for 2- year boy in six months! Pierre?!Jean!? Phillipe? Anderson?! Give that baby a name tonight!

July 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Lori from CA

Great news about the oil in the Gulf! Thank God. Better late than never.

July 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  14. David, Indiana

@Francesca Good questions.

Can the US funds be passed through congress to lead the way for getting money to be available?

@Heidi Yes could there be a large structure that could be quickly built that would give shelter to numerous families.

This report by Ivan Watson is distressing. The planned camp is going up more slowly the neighboring "squatters" camp. Are the camps nearer to Port au Prince protected better from storms by the hills around that city (though vulnerable to flooding and mudslides). Is the humanitarian aid going to the planned camp being directed to the neighboring camp?

July 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Merl, Ohio

Thad Allen switching wording from capping and sealing well? Or to containing in hopes of 4 production lines by the end of July?

July 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Bill

True by all. I'm not sold by the media's attempt to put the light on this and spin evey one up again. Measure are in place, people want to point finger. Hand out or Help out!!!!!

July 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Johnny

I think the more immediate problem is that families that have been separated due to the Earthquake need to desperately be reunited. The lack of trust in strangers will cause the lack of cooperation in communities. There is strength in families.

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

BP has a "plan"? Since when?

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Emily

@sylvestre succes
    "I feel totaly helpless, i'm watching my home country suffer and I can't do anything. I feel totaly helpless"

It must be very difficult for you to see this...that nothing has been getting better...why do you think that they were charging 20% tax on the goods that AC360 brought into help? Why does it seem like there is no one in charge in Haiti?

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Jennifer

I too was surprised to hear that Canada has not sent funds pledged. I just sent an e mail to my Member of Parliament. Thank you for reporting this – I like others thought that funds pledged = funds delivered.

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Joe Watts

Mr. Cooper,

Who's overseeing the progress of Bill Clinton's Org. Shouldn't someone set clear objectives and time limits. people know children are dying. This has got to stop.

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Harry Crouse

I am watching your show now. I am stunned that you had to pay $1000.00 for the customs/taxes for your delivery.........It sounds like Bureauctic Mayham there......If I had pledged help, I would back out and don't blame anyone who does.....IT'S SAD

July 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Yanick

Hi Anderson,
    My name is Yanick and I have been watching your show for many years now. I wanna personally thank you for the great job that you do. I was watching your show tonight and you were interviewing the president of Haiti Mr. Preval in regards to the problem with customs in Haiti. I disagree with the president when he said that he is unaware of the problem currently existing. I do believe that he is well aware of it and in fact, he is part of the problem.

Thanks,

Keep up the good work!

Yanick

July 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Mahnaz Javid

We cannot give hand outs. We must build capacity at the grassroots so people can help themselves and write their own futures. There are a lot of great, trusting people around, let's not lose hope.

July 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Anderson, "Plan"? Do these corrupt governments ever have a plan when it comes to taking care of their people?

July 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Sam Davenport

Hey Anderson, considering the corruption, and mis-management, what might have happended to our money if it had been released?

July 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. lisal -canada

this is fascinating. i have always wondered what it would be like to actually build a city from scratch. i mean, in most of the world most cities already exist.

so that is a definite challenge – how to build a city from scratch. the good news is that at least they are trying. no progress will happen if they don't start somewhere – and it looks as though there are several groups trying to start somewhere. the situation is distressing, but the concept is fascinating.

July 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening.
    $5.3 billion ,, Its hard to understand that Haiti had all these pledges made to them and their holding food and medications in storage while people are hungry and sick. Theres so much corruption going on ,

July 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Sounds good, but the "model" for the model community blew away. This story is unbelievable.

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. lucien henry

sorry did not say hi to everyone the guy who spend 25 millions who contracted him? did he move on his own trying to profit from the situation

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Ivan is a great journalist!

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Brian Slaunwhite, Nova Scotia, Canada

I from Canada and our goverment had the nerve to go on tv yesterday and tell everyone that the have sent 150 million to the Haiti relief and have another 400 million ready to go. For all canadians on this blog please email your MP tomorrow and ask where the money is. Good work CNN

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Stella

My problem is no one is stepping up to actually get something done. Everyone is pointing fingers. I am so upset right now. Haitian leaders need to step up. Reporter have a better chance getting things done, just like Dr Gupta helped that orphanage. Why is that because he has camera and he is able to put some people to shame.

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Patricia P. in Haiti

I am so sorry to see how many supplies have not reached the Haitian people.

If you are right about the corruption, then the Haitian people need to organize and demand action from the gov. (if possible).

Me and my family and friends thoughts and prayers are with you and your people, our continued donations too. May God Bless you.

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Vladimir

The reason the food has not been distributed to the people, they want to resell them at a later date.These NGOs are very corrupted.

July 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Bill

I just watched the "dead beats donations for Haiti" The USA was at the top of the list. The claim that the US has donated $0.00. This ia not accurate.
    Might I add my dear friends and fellow American that the US spent million in the aid and recovery operations by our Military. All of which cost a great deal. I recommend before you say we donated $0.00. Conduct a compartive assestment on what it cost the US tax payers to send our forces in the aiid effort. You will find an significant difference. I don't think $$ makes a fair assesment. Throwing money at it, isn't the answer.

July 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Emily

listening to Ivan Watson here, it's very heart breaking....
    Where is the "master plan" ???

July 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Reggan

Why aren't countries honoring their pledges now. That is unacceptable. People need the assistance now and will die without it!

July 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  39. PAM

From the Duvaliers, to Namphy, Cedras, Aristide, and Preval, they all deserve to be in jail for mentally and physically abusing the Haitian people.

July 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Jim

Words I hope I never hear if I am in a life and death situation: Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

What we saw in Katrina; what we're seeing in the gulf, and what we're seeing in Haiti is government efficiency. If people are going to survive, beauracracy must end.

July 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  41. sylvestre succes

I feel totaly helpless, i'm watching my home country suffer and I can't do anything. I feel totaly helpless.

July 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

@ Sree "have not seen one official wearing any sort of a Haitian badge"

Good catch! Do you suppose they are just blending in with the population so they are not harassed at every turn? If there is no leadership established, they may be in harms way from those who really need the help.

July 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Mary

Hi Anderson
    Glad you are back in Haiti, I have been there before the earthquake and loved that country, wonderful friendly people.

The Amish of Ohio had built housing and had them shipped, I wondered if you are aware of that? If they are suitable to withstand the weather in Haiti it is too bad they could not get some of the money and just keep building houses and shipping them from the US. They sent a crew to assemble them in Haiti. What they have done so far was paid for from auctions they held. I just think they are people that know how to get it done and could get the people at least in houses

July 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Karl

Karl Preval is the number one responsible for what's happens right now. He built his owmn circle name THE CLUB OF BOURDON, and puts apart all others who like to contribute unconditionally.

July 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  45. doreen

I know one thing. I shall never donate money to these disaster areas again. I donated to the Tsnami also and heard the same complaints.
    Too bad but my bucks stop here.

July 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Emily

@Gloria,
    "Yell Anderson, a lot of countries pledged because of you and your reporting."

I agree with you 100%!! I know that AC360 is the only show that I watch during the week. I know that I'm going to get great reporting. I have no doubt that these Countries were listening too.

July 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is one thing for these countries not to follow through with their promise, but if the people in need are not getting the money I can understand their hesitation.

July 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Heidi Ann Berg

How does one as a journalist maintain there anger and frustration and not go postal on all these political money hungry lien less then human beings time after time after time from one disaster to another .

July 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Betty

Thanks for showing us what the problems are in Haiti. This is sickening to us.
    FEED THOSE CHILDREN. HAITI. Take care of your people. We who have donated are not very impressed with the way your people are being treated. Step up and do what your supposed to do . We are watching and praying for your people.
    Thanks Anderson and Dr. Gupta for bringing this to our attention.

Betty and Bob in FL.

July 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  50. Marian

It is so hard to watch-the pain is almost unbearable. If I reach out my hand, I can touch it. Children should never know such trauma to the mind, body and soul. Please keep shining the light,tell their stories. If it takes a village to raise a child, it will take all of us to help heal them too. We must push through – and keep pushing – not just this week , but until these children are made whole again. Thank you.

July 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |