June 30th, 2010

Tracking Hurricane Alex: Join the Live Chat

Hurricane Alex hits land along the west coast of the Gulf of Mexico and is having an impact at the oil spill site. We'll have the latest developments on the storm. Plus, see how BP is trying to shutdown its own safety watchdog unit, which was created under Congressional pressure in the wake of BP oil spills in Alaska and that devastating fire and explosion at its refinery in Texas City, Texas in 2005.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori from CA

Seventy three days too long. This would make more sense if BP would explain exactly what they are doing, what needs to be done (including coordination with agencies) and why this is taking time.

June 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think BP should concentrate more on stop that leak!

June 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Day 72 and still no government action. Has Obama's commission even met yet?

June 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Teri in New Jersey

Hello Anderson and all. I hope someone is considering the future lies that we will be hearing from BP. First I doubts that the oil sample that they finally submitted could have been from another well of theirs. In three weeks time anything would have been possible. Second, from the beginning I heard that we should blow up the well. It would implode and fill itself in. It was done in the Soviet Union about four or five times. I read where they wouldn't want to do that because they wanted to try and save the well. I will bet that with the two relief wells being drilled (that they promised would put an end to the leak) one will seal the leak and the bottom will allow the oil to be collected as usual. This is supposed to be a huge find that they were drilling. They do not want to lose the well. I can't believe that we are so gullible. Please we can't be that naive.

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Smith in Oregon

If tar balls weren't toxic and poisonous, I would advocate American's send pet tar-balls to all Republican lawmakers so they can receive the just fruits of their special interest labors.

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Emily

David, Indiana,
    "Wow that Hurricane did develop into a major storm quickly, basically overnight."
    And this is just the first one of the season, and only a Category #2...imagine if it were a 4, or 5? There's still a long season to go too...and this one developed very quickly indeed!

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Marc Larouche

BP has had three strikes in my opinion... maybe they need to put somone else up to bat. I've been telling BP I can close this leak 100 percent guaranteed. Being a tool and die maker by trade and having worked in the manufaturing industry my whole life, I know how to resolve issues of this type.

Diagnosing problems and resolving the issues is something I have done all my life but I guess I don't have an impressive enough title for them to listen to what I'm telling them

June 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Jim in CFalls

Former President Clinton got it right:

1. Plug the hole, with conventional explosives, if needed
    2. Get as much oil out of the water as possible before it hits the beach
    3. Clean up and rehabilitate the impacted areas
    4. Place blame and pursue legal action

Seems like President Obama is doing this in reverse.

June 30, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Thomas

Anderson: This well could have been under control many weeks ago by using a production method being used by Shell oil off the coast of Brazil in the Parque Das Conchas field. "check Shell's web site and see a complete discussion" The oil there is heavy and it can't be produced by well pressure. They are in 6000 feet of water and produce about 100 thousand barrell of oil and 50 million cubic feet of gas per day. It is producing now. They collect the oil in a vessel on the sea floor and pump to the surface by a 1500 hp electric motor. It is collected in floating vessels. They don't spill any oil, it was planned this way. So the engineering work has been completed. Bp should check with shell and use their expertise. They are stalling. Thomas

June 30, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I dont know when this spill will stop. It's just too redundant to say or comment a word about it.

The majority of the nation is against how it's being handled, and we are still at 72 days...

This is probably one effort where BP's engineers cannot even take credit for their hard work.

Easier to say speechless and live in disbelief, even for an optimist

June 30, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    You have good point there, I am glad you help each other and ask questions! 🙂

June 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. lisal -canada

sad to see the progress stopped due to the storm

June 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Rebecca, Gainesville (UF) FL

The dispersant simply sends the oil to the bottom of the Gulf. BP has the out of sight out of mind mentality. And quite frankly it's not cutting it. I have no love for oil companies, they'll do anything to feed our oil addiction and to make a profit. Look at BP they cut corners when they were shutting down the rig by replacing the drilling mud with sea water. We need to prevent this from happening ever again. Fight for clean energy, say no to fossil fuels and yes to ecofriendly alternatives.

June 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Smith in Oregon

Republicans want big government now? That is rather against their continuous mantra of little government and no regulations. Big Oil has spent nearly zero dollars on upgrading spill response equipment while profiting Billions of dollars every 4 months.

June 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Jan

BP has been dishonest from the very beginning...why should the people of the USA expect them to do a 360 and be upfront with us; I will tell you why...they have a lot of dirty little secrets they want to try and keep hidden from the public. What I want to know is why is our government letting them be the Sherriff. Get BP out of our gulf and let another oil company take over and run the show at the rig...but let us the American people run the show on our shores...surely we could have done a much better job.

June 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Pat Ritchie

Why are we still asking BP for anything? Why don't we just take the samples, we own this gulf not BP!!!!!!!

June 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Billy

The reason BP has not been open is from the beginning no one has held them accountable other than by words. The only one with the power is the President. you have to ask does he not care or just lack experience.

June 30, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Emily

@BettyAnn,
    "Can you imagine that much oil in the air we breathe?"

just the thought of it...I hope that Anderson and the 360 Team down there are taking care of themselves, as well as ALL of those that live in the effected areas...

I was thinking about the marine life when they were talking about the turtles...awful stuff.

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. gail

La Gov. Jindal vetoes bill that would have made public all records from his office related to the oil spill. I want to know when Anderson is going to report on that since he is "keeping them honest" and all about transparency from the government and BP. I hope that extends to Gov. Jindal as well. Jindal has also only tapped 1053/6000 national guard available., Why? I want the answers to these questions.

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Wendi -Bay Harbor Islands,Florida

Go get them Sen. Lemieux

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

Wow that Hurricane did develop into a major storm quickly, basically overnight. 19 counties in Texas on the outer edge of the storm are disaster areas. How are things where the eye is coming ashore.

What is happening to the oil on the surface and in the water? Are the booms along the shore pulled in when the waves are this high?

Looks like threading a needle in the dark from about fours miles away. Interesting explanation by Tom Foreman of the relief well drilling process. Surrounding rock should contain the oil when the relief well hits the main well, I wondered about that. How do they know when they hit the well and if they're positioned well? Sensors? anything else?The first relief well is activated before the second well is close to completion?

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Priscilla

Hello From Douglasville, Ga
    Anderson, PLEASE get some truth to the people about the long term effects of the corexit, benzyne, methane and whatever other toxins are floating around now in the Gulf.

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Sue R. Canton MI.

Bp hasn't listened to independent scientists from the very beginning.So much of the marine life.marshes and wildlife could have been saved and has now been destroyed .

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Tanya Lombardo

Since this oil spill, our company set up a web site that could bring the people together and the resources to solve the clean up of this disaster. We are a disaster company that during Katrina cleaned up over 500square miles of coast line in LA. We have worked so hard to contact the right people and have failed. We have never worked so hard to have no response. Can you help us contact someone that can put us to work. Every night I watch this program and they say that they do not have enough boats or machines to suck the oil out, well we do. Please look at our site Gulf

June 30, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Pamela

The increased wave action has sent the oil and tarballs on our (S. MS) barrrier islands & beaches. It is disheartening to think BP will use this as an excuse to further drag their feet. Why is BP's refusal to allow private donations in to aid in the cleaning of animals impacted not being challenged by the government?

June 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Sonia Howell

@Betty-Ann-This is starting the green house effect. What we put in the air will adventually come back down.

June 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Kevin McCary

People of southern texas be careful you are in our thoughts and prayers.

June 30, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Monica

I'm pretty sure it's a stall tactic, but maybe BP was attacked by the Red Tape Mummy, as well.

June 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I was so wrong the last two nights about Tropical Storm now Hurricane Alex. I thought with the low wind speed and slow movement that it might dissipate upon hitting land, but it sure has picked up speed. Hopefully those coastal areas have evacuated. I heard the causeway to South Padre Island was closed. Whoever's left on the island, I pray is safe.

June 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Jim in CFalls

I really feel sorry for the folks on the coast, especially with the storm surge they are experiencing.

I think getting an oil sample is a red herring. Seems to me BP oil is all over the place, in the water, and on the beaches. Am I missing something?

June 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Merl, Ohio

Clean up the oil, put it in a registered landfill. Who needs dispersants used by BP, you've already dispersed it.

June 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Emily

@BettyAnn,
    that's good that you're in a safe area...

@Melissa,
    I hope that you and others in the effected area of Hurricane Alex will be safe...

June 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

BP had no plan for dealing with a leak at 5,000 feet and has no plan to address a hurricane. Two things that have a very real possibility of occurring. A pattern of reckless incompetence aided by the indifference of our government.

June 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Mike

Putting BP in charge of the cleanup is like putting a reckless driver in charge of the accident scene.

June 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

Those greedy oil, mining and logging companies are ruining are beautiful planet. But I think most people will not be so apathetic and passive anymore. Especially not after all the horrific environmental damage is realized in the Gulf! Thank you Anderson Cooper and the AC360 team for another outstanding report.

June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Sharon Hastings

Delay, delay, delay and cover up and lie and avoid claims and drag their feet on everything!!!!!! Very soon I hope the spill "plan" that is "evolving" includes taking over the clean up and taking legal action against BP while still holding them financially responsible. Are we even up to doing that??? There's a question for you.

June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  37. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Can you imagine that much oil in the air we breathe? That is how it affecting all the marine life. Something's fishy with BP!

June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Rebecca, Gainesville (UF) FL

Blocking independent scientists from doing their job is ludicrous! The White House just needs to force BP to come clean all of the way, but I doubt it's going to happen unfortunately. I'd be more than happy to help with the clean up effort but I'm too busy with college now.

June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Merl, Ohio

I heard oil evaporates so pour oil into a bucket of water and see if the oil evaporates. You can rock this if you want to simulate waves. Bet the oil will still be there unless you spill it out.

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Madison

Prayers. More prayers. That is the answer!

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Carl Mawhinney

I can't believe the timing of the BP oil leak and then Hurricane Alex. Where is the responsibility? Where are our priorities? Please continue in keeping BP honest.d

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Sonia Howell

You tell them Anderson.!!!!!!!

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Emily

"avoidance" ...that's about the only "transparent" thing that BP has been!

June 30, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Ronnie, North Carolina

I was born and raised in New Orleans,it just kills me that more hasn't be done thus far. I was lucky in that I got to go shrimping last summer with a good friend. Now we don't know how long it will be before the shrimpers will ever get to shrimp again.

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Jeff

I don't know what we are going to do to clean up this oil spill now that the hurricane has hit. Are we going to see more devestation than ever before?

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Margaret

Has anyone said how much oil there is remaining below the damaged well in the gulf?

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Aleta Pahl

I don't know why BP is not held for tampering evidence, withholding data as Kathy Castor is talking about. Why are they above the law?

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Emily

and what about the amount of oil that is still in the well?
    can it collapse? what about those that are talking about blowing it up?
    what are the possible side effects to that? is BP looking into that?
    I'm sure that the side effects would be greatly effected by the amount of oil in there...

June 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Smith in Oregon

I hope CNN obtains the footage recently filmed showing a large group of dolphins dieing offshore and grievously suffering.

June 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Diego

Hi, anyone is in or near Monterrey? Anyone knows about driving conditions from Laredo to Monterrey?

June 30, 2010 at 10:15 pm |