June 24th, 2010

Saving the Dolphins: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, a charter boat captain helping in the Gulf oil clean up effort dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. We'll look at his life and death and the concerns for other fishermen. Plus, a look at what's being done to help save the dolphins and other marine mammals living in the Gulf.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Giovanni Fazi

Corporate greed is exactly why these catastrophes happen. Reaping the rewards associated from this is short-lived. It just goes to show where BP and many other organizations stand on corporate responsibility. I would consider updating their mission statement to reflect the true values of this organization.

June 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. LizF

My deepest sympathy to the family of Mr. Kruse.
    I am deeply puzzled over the request for 1000's of military personnel to come and stand on the sidelines of the gulf. The damage from Katrina was on land and you could feel and touch it. This gulf spill is underwater and deep underwater so what can soldier's do that is not being done already. This company and none of the others have the capability for fixing this kind of disaster except to drill the relief wells.
    People, we have got to get a grip and stay focused on reality. What we should be doing is making sure there is no more deep water drilling until this mess is solved. Instead it seems the governor is talking out of both sides of his mouth, one night crying fowl that his precious state is being destroyed and the next night celebrating the victory that drilling will continue with no safety nets in place. Politics as usual. Some are being fooled but I for one am not.

June 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Lawrence Mark

They have been drilling offshore from La since 1942 with no contingency plans for this disaster. There are 3500 plus wells out there now. Imagine a person lighting a fire and burning down your house. Louisiana is the cow that started the fire that may burn out the entire Gulf.region and they want to keep doing it!!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

Great to speak with you again too. I'm glad you see also, some of the progress.
    However, quite frankly, i remain stunned at the continued lack of leadership by BP, the Coast Guard and the Federal Gov. in this situation.
    Furhter, the upcoming weather is a serious concern.

PS I'm watering the garden via soaker hoses right now, but will have to likely leave the blog early to complete hand watering-glad you know what i mean. And, of course, there is the dog walking too.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "Why isn't the coast guard automatically giving the Congress this information?"
    Someone just volunteer the information..the transparency everyone has been speaking of; that's an idea.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Tom

@frank-nothing wrong with a cash business- as long as you pay your taxes.pay your taxes- place a claim and get paid by BP. If you dont pay taxes your are in trouble.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hopefully that storm goes away or dies down before it gets closer.....

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Johnathan Wilson

Oh my this is such a disaster in the Gulf, those poor pelicans. I hope they get it cleaned up soon.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Since the tropical storm hasn't been named yet, that is a good sign. Should it pick up speed, the track looks like it would run right into the Yucatan Peninsula and hopefully lose its power. Of course, anything could happen.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Bill

Why aren't workers wearing mask. No was is talking about the fumes of crude oil being linked to leukemia. I'm afraid the leukemia rate in the workers and Gulf coast residents is going to be well above average in a few years if not sooner.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Mark

This gulf weather could be scary!

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Cindy

@Tom,
    Good point. That's a problem and not one we can blame on BP.

June 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Tom Harrigan

Last week Diane Rheems was interviewing Admiral Thad Allen and she raised the question of oil and ALS (Amyotrophic Latoral Sclerosis). Admiral Allen said he knew nothing about it. It took me back, in 1981, I was with my father when he was diagnosed with ALS. The doctor asked my dad if he was in the service during World War 2. My dad said no and then asked why. The doctor stated that the medical field had observed a connection between ALS and service men who served in Guam during the war. There was a major oil refinery on the island. My dad then said he had worked at an oil refinery during the war, for one year in New Jersey.

June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Nicole The Netherlands

I do love it, when Anderson says "I don't yell or something", it's the only thing what makes me smile in this sad edit..

O. please no storm, no storm.. It has come to this!
    Hope for no storm.. plugging the leak?!

June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Carolyn

BP should not only have to pay the funeral expenses of this boat captain who couldn't take all of this anymore and had no hope for his future, but they should have to supply lifetime benefits for his grieving family, including college funds and all expenses for life for his widow and his children. If the insurance companies will not cover benefits for suicide, BP should be ready to compensate all of this. God forbid there should be any more suicides due to this disaster, but if there are, BP is directly responsible. BP and Tony Hayward, how are you going to get the lives back of this captain, and the 11 who lost their lives when this happened? God help us all.

June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Belinda (New Orleans)

It almost seems as if there is a conspiracy in the Gulf. BP wants to leave it polluted and dead so that it can be just one big drilling field. What they have done to the marine life is sinful. There is a special place in Hell for these big oil companies. Bp has Atlantis out in our Gulf. Apparently, that one is a ticking time bomb. I am so afraid of our future here. So afraid...

June 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Megan

I'm a sophmore at App State. I am learning that reality is not always learned from media. Thank you for reporting facts and delivering genuine real life accounts for news I can trust while I am learning!

June 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Diane

Anderson, God bless you and the CNN team for keeping this story alive every night! Please keep America aware of what is happening which will soon be effecting all of us in this country. I also love watching where you talk from down near the River Walk. I grew up in Algiers across the river from N.O. and love to watch the Algiers Ferry go back and forth. My husband and I will always have our hearts in New Orleans while we live now in Georgia. Louisiana never leaves your heart no matter where you live.

June 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Susan Lane

Hello-Anderson,
    Hello-Mr. Nungesser,
    I send you strength and a message that there are people all over the world waiting to help you and the people of the Gulf Coast.
    We are having trouble pushing through but we will.
    My kindest regards,
    Susan Lane

June 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. kim

Thank You for your coverage and for exposing BP for what they are more concerned about their money! Please keep everyone talking about this to get us help here in the Panhandle of Florida !!

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Denise

I love Ed Markey. More people like him are needed.

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Lynette

Why don't they just put a huge gigantic sand bag on it! ! It's sad and I think the entire USA should get a class action law suite against halaburton for indirect man slaughter! With the drilling of gas in the mid west contaminating there drinking water to oil on our beaches! Halaburton had a hand in all of it! They should pay us all for ruining out water and out land and killing us all slowly!

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Saveena, Pennsylvania

One thing I cannot comprehend is and come to a conclusive thought is: 'how much can our goverment really do to help the oil-spill situation?' Don't get me wrong, I do understand how much they have done and what needs to be done but I believe it is BP's mess to clean up. I also think that our government should really make sure that BP put up the money now that will cost for the cleaning up of the spill, help out the families it has affected, rehabilitate the gulf and its surroundings and whatever else the spill has affected. This is something to seriously get done and as soon as possible too before BP file for bankruptcy to cover themselves financially the short-cut way.

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Andy - Ontario, Canada

Where is the leadership of the Obama administration? He has to step up and say enough is enough and take control over this mess. Rightly or wrongly his term as president will be defined by the way the American people feel about the way he has responded to the spill. As an outsider I believe both his and his administrations response to the spill have been totally inadequate and the American people deserve better.

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Mike McLaws

I do not hear much about the drilling of the relief well. How far along are they?.............when will it be completed?

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Jane - WI

I don't blame BP for not wanting to come on your show. With the threats of criminal charges being made by the administration, BP needs to be careful what it says and tread on eggshells.
    Instead of threatening BP, our government should be working cooperatively with them to solve the problem. As the old saying goes, you catch more flies with honey....

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Andrew Skrypnyk

When a person lies, there eyes, before speaking the lie, avert to the left or right. Just after Mr. Cooper asked the rep to answer if he still thought that 5000 barrels a day spewing out of the hole was an accurate figure, watch as his eyes quickly avert to his own left just before answering "yes". To me, he was not errouneous in his answer, but KNEW he was supplying an inaccurate figure! The U.S. operations of BP should be SEIZED immediately!

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Janis (Canada)

I hope that people in the Gulf know that we are praying for them. Don't give up hope! We share your pain, and this is worse than any earthquake, the effects will be more devastating in the long run. BP can't be trusted, thank God they have no more gas stations in Canada! I want to see them out of our Country, and a boycott is underway.

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Day 66 of oilspill – is it just me or does it seem to be getting WORSE instead of better?? God, help us.

@ David, Indiana
    Thanks! I miss you all!! 🙂

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. TJ

I was hoping that the change to an American spokesman for BP would mean they would be more forthcoming, but apparently not.

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Emily

One interview on May19th & it's now June 24th ...now that's transparency!

June 24, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Carol

Has anyone yet realized that this is going to be the greatest ecological disaster, not just in the USA, but in the entire world? We thought that garbage swirling in the Atlantic was a big deal. This represents the death of a whole ecological system and way of life.

June 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Kenya

I'm just terrified to hear about the upcoming weather down there...

June 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Sue R. Canton MI.

Maybe the new guy who is taking Tony Haywards place might take you up one day on your offer to come on your show Anderson...But do you seriously think he will answer your questions with any truth?

June 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Frank Washington

@ Tom... The gulf coast has a lot of its industry and businesses operating on a cash basis. They were self-sufficient. They didn't need bail-out money or anything. They operate on pride of their way of living. Just because he ran a cash business, that doesn't mean he and the rest of them should suffer. That area of our United States will take decades to recover while BP will recover within 2 years tops. Where's the justice in that?

June 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Bill

Anderson, The reason BP keeps using dispersants is because they take away the photo op, even though the damage is still done.

June 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

If everyone asks BP to go on the show, will they? It's the public asking this time!

June 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Lance Lexington,KY

Anderson, If you have ever, pursued an issue with dogged persistence, it MUST be BP's elusive, shady behavior regarding the total lack of consistency in their positions/statements. Something is going on here. And there is MUCH more that meets the eye.

June 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Karen, MN

BP cannot find peace by avoiding life.

June 24, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Di Berube

Maybe they just haven't seen enough of your sweeter side.

June 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Dennis Schneider

The crime of this spill just continues. The contradiction between their refusal to use bioremediation because it will reduce oxygen levels and the use of the dispersant which will break the oil in small droplets so it will broken down faster by bacteria (which consume oxygen) is ridiculous. I visited the spill 2 weeks ago and was prevented from getting oil samples that would have useful in furthering bioremediation testing. American police were under the control of a foreign corporation–where is the outrage?

June 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Now that Bob Dudley is the point person for BP, consider asking him to come back and speak on AC360. Is Tony Hayward still in the States?

June 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Great retrospective of the excellent work of AC360!

June 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Nicole The Netherlands

Oke, "Ultimately the call is made by the coastguard" did Mr Markey say that they are in control over the use of dispersants, not BP?!
    Why are they still using this toxic stuff then?!

June 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Janis (Canada)

It is incredible that BP keeps denying and denying the evidence right in front of our eyes, the amount of wetlands affected, the underwater plumes, refusing to pay for clean up efforts, just continuously placing obstacles in the way of clean-up efforts! I hope they rot in hell, all of their executives. I agree that the US government should be placing all its efforts on this – pulling scientists and technical people from all over. Freeze the assets of BP in America and put them towards the clean up. That is what they do with criminals and fraud artists, take away their assets.

June 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. john b

Has B.P said that after they cement the well that has blown out,that they are still going to produce the well from the two relief wells that they are drilling now.most people think that the well will be totally shut down. not true they will still be making money from this well for many years to come.

June 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Emily

@Marie, Burbank, Ca
    "I don't understand either....."
    That's awful that the dolphin died....I was disgusted looking at people shoveling up clumps of oil off the sands of the Florida Beach....

" Golf games and yachts while the gulf is dying."
    We see where their priorities are don't we?!

I'm glad that Anderson & the 360 Team have been covering this...I can't believe the oil is now at 4 States...

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Nancy in Oregon

I'm saying goodnight now....Take care, people.

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I have a new name for BP...beyond possibility. They are living in a fantasy land that there is no plumes. Thank you Congressman Markey for staying on top of this on Capitol Hill.

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Michael

If JFK were alive he would have locked the best of the best from NASA and the oil industry to come up with a solution within a given time period. We also would have back charged BP for the cost of that solution. I am saddened by the response by our president and the fact I rushed home to vote for him.

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |