June 24th, 2010

Saving the Dolphins: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, a charter boat captain helping in the Gulf oil clean up effort dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. We'll look at his life and death and the concerns for other fishermen. Plus, a look at what's being done to help save the dolphins and other marine mammals living in the Gulf.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cat

Wasn't it reported yesterday that the robot was spraying dispersant whenever it hit the cap? So they are still using dispersant.

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Matt in Stafford, VA

I vote we use Billy's plan. Take Hayward off his yacht, put him a few feet underwater, pull him up and see if he's oil covered. Heck, even that probably won't satisfy BP. They'll say it's chocolate or something.

I understand from a self-preservation angle why BP want's to deny deny deny, but the self-inflicted PR damage is worse then any admission will be at this point.

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, if there are no consequences why should they bother to do what the EPA or anyone else says?

June 24, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  4. kim

why dont they show the real pictures of the marine life that is being killed then maybe this country will stand up finally, why is everyone so quiet about everything that is happening.

June 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Anderson

And what will be the influence of these two problems in the upcoming elections?

June 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Nicole Tennessee

Terrible news about Mr.Kruse. Now, not only does his family have to still deal with what the government and BP has done to our water they have to deal with the fact that the government and BP killed him.....

June 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Frank Washington

Let's say a prayer for the Kruss family. Just like the forgotten riggers and the other 2 people who have died from disaster, AC360 is the only show that gives them the attention they deserve. Unfortunately, he too (Mr. Kruss), will be forgotten in time. Dont let that happen Anderson Cooper. Keep him and the rest in the forefront.

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why isn't the coast guard automatically giving the Congress this information? Why do they need to ask for it?

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole everyone.

Sorry to miss the first segment we have company and a lot of activity here. I understand from the comments it is about the fisheman who took his own life. I don't understand the circumstances.

@Isabel, nice to see you.

@Starr nice to see you after awhile. I water flowers around here in the evening. Yes is it a overwhelming situation, I can understand why you'd back off a bit, but I am glad to hear you have some hope. There is some good news (albeit not as much as anyone would like) and some progress in plugging the well and cleaning up the oil, those efforts seem to be gaining some momentum.

If Barataria bay is being hit everyday as Billy Nungesser says is help coming from BP or the coast guard or is that only Plaquemines Parish boat and workers?

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. lisal -canada

good one – an uncontrolled science experiment – guess that implies they don't know what the heck they are doing

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Michelle, AZ

Anderson, Thank you for "Keeping them Honest!" I love how you call these people out on the carpet for their wrong doings.. Keep up the good work!

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  12. R. Sitton

So sorry to hear about the boat captain. BP not doing much....at all.
    I do wish they would agree to the mortoriam on 33 rigs. There are 3600 in the Gulf. Surely, 33 would not be a job killing thing.

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Martina

So sad about the captain Kruse his family is in my prayers. In Michigan when the car companies closed and mostly everyone lost their jobs job training was implemented to try to learn another trade/career. However, their were a lot of suicides, people moving back home with family and friends moving in together.

June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  14. jae

IM from FL- Craig Fugate (head of fema) was emergency dir of FL, before fema dir. If He was involved- i can assure you there would be a different atmosphere and attitude. He is a man of action and common sense! He got FL thru all the hurricanes- Big Job-Big Man!

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@ Anderson

How will be President Obama after these two big problems: the BP oil spill and General McChrystal?

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Tara

Thank you Anderson Cooper for your nightly updates. I've been glued to your show since this started.

I'm also stunned to the point of no more words left at how badly BP and our gov't is (not) handling this tragedy.

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Alkair

I just checked this Gulf Oil Spill isnt listed under a Disaster Declartion??? why not ???

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Glenn Knight

Are they spraying dispersants at the Well head on the oil? Can the Govenor call out the Nation Guard to run interferrance on The Coast Guard and BP so they can continnue the dregging operation?

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Nick Schreiber

We need to put more pressure on Obama and federal government to take real action and step up to the disaster in the gulf. We know we can't rely on BP for honesty or for action but I am angered at the lack of response from the federal government I want information on where the government is, I don't see them.

I think we need to expose more of what Obama is doing, they (the administration)are getting a free ride and staying out of the light because all the talk is on BP – we need to know what Obama is doing or not doing. it is evident we need to stop relying on BP

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Elizabeth

I'm worried about the differing opinions of experts about the impact of a tropical storm or hurricane on the oil spill and on communities if such a weather event made landfall along the coast.

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Heather

We make it a point to watch your show every night. We want to thank you Anderson for having the courage to speak the truth and to confront those in power at the risk of alienation and intimidation from the government itself. You truly are a "voice crying out in the wilderness." Hopefully those who run this country will listen and REALLY help before it is too late.

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Sue R. Canton MI.

@ Starr,, Glad your feeling better... I dont live in the Gulf ,,yet watching this story unfold each day. can be depressing. I can take a time out from watching it, but the people who are living and having to deal with this awful disaster each day ,,It's hard to imagine what life is like for them.

June 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Janne Swearengen

was just wondering how the Mayor of Orange Beach felt about Joe Barton's apology to BP.

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Tom

i think everyone is missing the boat on this captian. i think he was in an all cash business and did not pay his taxes and that means he does not have accurate W2s and won't get paid by bp

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, neither do I, and we should be hearing outrage from all of the higher ups. If we did I think something would be done faster to get this thing in control and get it to stop

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  26. benjamin gaff

Why is over government still putting up ads on t.v. with the 1st lady and her asking americans to help out with hati. Let's help ourselves already. Let's clean up our gulf.

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Elizabeth : San Clemente,CA

I should mention that I spoke to Army personnel off the record that we actually building the sand berms that would cost millions of dollars, and they knew they would ultimately be ineffective! Then while I was in the plane we saw 2 whales, at least 5 dolphin, 1 shark, and many birds – they were all within yards of the oil, not miles! I was in the plane with the Academy Award winning Director of "The Cove" he will verify all this info too!

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Shawn

Instead of counting up the number of days since the spill occurred I think we need to count down...from 365. Why? The severity of this spill obviously won't be cleared up in the next couple of months. BP needs to no longer be given extensions and multiple tries to get this over and done with. We need to set a deadline...now. By my count, BP has 300 days left before their efforts become a year-long waste of time and a planetary problem requiring possible UN involvement. (Interesting, considering this slick may one day each the East River in Manhattan anyway.)

-Shawn (Bronx, NYC)

June 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Jane - WI

If we are to be concerned about BP getting it's estimate of the amount of oil that is leaking incorrect, shouldn't we also be concerned about the government getting it wrong?
    Last week in his speech, the President said that the leak would be 90% contained within a few weeks. Is that realistic, and if not, how did he get it so wrong?

June 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Dave - Florida

Why is BP involved in the approval process of anything regarding this spill? There should be an independent panel with sole responsibility of approving claims. Of course BP doesn't want to pay for any part of this but we are way past that now. Let's take BP out of the decision making process once and for all!!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Norine

BP has blood on their hands and they are getting away with murder!

June 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Samatha- you make an excellent point about solidarity & ustice.

I will try to be with the group more often, but it is a very "toxic" story in many different ways.

I don't know how Anderson takes it (along with his team).

June 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. David Quinn

By the way Anderson, I am the "patent pending" holder for the eCAP and run EndPoint Media in Atlanta. We would love a chance to solve this problem.

June 24, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Nicole, I'm sure it's so. Like living in a war zone must be...it's more a way of life than an aberrant experience after awhile.

June 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Ron from PA

It's great that Mr. Nungesser is so zealous in wanting to stop this oil spill.

But where was he when the oil industry was deregulated to the point of nearly doing anything they wanted, including getting a $75 million cap on the financial damages they would have to pay in case of such a spill?! That's the point where we could have made such spills much less likely.

He's gone from drill-baby-drill to a committed ecologist overnight!

June 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Lynn

The captain's suicide is so sad. This desperate situation in the Gulf is getting worse. Their whole economy is going down the drain. They definitely need more help down there. They need to send 1000's of military troops down there to help like they did with Katrina. Obama, are you listening??!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Anderson, thanks for being a voice for the residents of the Gulf. I admire the passionate commitment you have for reporting these news stories, no matter how difficult they are. Thanks for keeping us informed and connecting with us in ways that cause us to be contemplative and take action.

June 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Linda

Can anyone explain to me why our government helps everyone in every other country and leaves USA citizens out to dry and suffer so deeply thru catastrophies.

June 24, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. lisal -canada

for the people of the gulf, watching the wetlands and the plant and animal life slowly degrade and die must be like just watching your house burn down and knowing that there may be nothing left. except it is also everyone round you.

if the captain was out in his beloved waters, looking at the death and destruction, he likely saw just too much of the unspeakable. prayers with him – may he find peace.

June 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Arlene

This is shocking and horrifying info- many times I cannot believe that this major catastrophe is not given the importance that the war gets or Wall Street. .

June 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Dave from Germantown, NY

Thanks Anderson for keeping BP honest and showing the world what's really happening in this oil spill. BP is different than any other public corporation in that their pursuit of anything for the "almighty dollar" or "almighty pound" puts humanity and the environment in jeopardy on a massive scale. BPs use of dispersants must end quickly. There use is far worse than cleaning up the oil on the surface of the Gulf. I forgot...BP doesn't really want us to know the amount of oil that really is spilling.
    Thanks again Anderson !!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Nancy in Oregon

The weather...I'll be glad to hear about that. It's always seemed like another possible complicating factor, this time of year.

June 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Mike

Good evening Anderson.The mayor you had on show is so right.I know BPis all about greed and money.I used to work on a rig that drilled several holes in Gulf for BP...I had to retire from oil rigs cause of medical condition....Take care Mike M.. ps- I am living in Gulfport,Ms

June 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. christine

Hi,Anderson.Love it when you talk to Billy.Nice, honest,lucid man.Thanks.

June 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Jan

As a new grama it breaks my heart to think my grandbaby will grow up without pure white beaches and dolphins. She is never going to see brown pelicans.

I find this whole thing unbelievable. And it is going to continue to spew crude oil until August, the Gulf is going to die along with our way of life.

June 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Rebecca

Anderson Cooper's ongoing coverage of the Gulf oil disaster is outstanding. This heart-wrenching tragedy needs to be front and center for all of us, and particularly for the Obama administration, Congress, and of course BP. Go Anderson. Keep on keeping them (and us) honest. We need this coverage and it shouldn't end until this situation improves.

June 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Jason, in crises like these, careers are broken and made, both.

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I am very sad to say that not much has changed during my month of absence from the Gulf story.

What can ANY of us say that will make a difference. BP is Wrong, has been Wrong and will likely continue to be Wrong in the future.

So much precious time has been wasted. So many good ideas ignored, or not funded, or denied funding. The mind spins at the absudity of BP and the Gulf disaster.

@Nichole & oAnn, N. Royalton- great to talk to you again.

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. TJ

The greed and deception in this company defies description

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Emily

@Heather,
    I don't hear anyone with any outrage !
    I that the only time that I ever heard any real plan from anyone that was serious, in the Gov. or BP, etc was from (ret) Gen. Russel Honoré.
    I'm really shocked by the lack of...concern?

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |