June 24th, 2010

Saving the Dolphins: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, a charter boat captain helping in the Gulf oil clean up effort dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. We'll look at his life and death and the concerns for other fishermen. Plus, a look at what's being done to help save the dolphins and other marine mammals living in the Gulf.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Erica

It's very sad to see people die for the root of all evil when life is the only thing that matters I pray people see it before its to late

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Nancy, maybe for people in the gulf it is like they are being send back to a war.. PTSD is not a strange idea.. It is like they just can't catch a break..

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Jason

I think Anderson truly is doing the best he can and reporting all he can. I think we are not getting the whole truth. Anderson press on for the people. We need the truth right now.

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  4. tanja

Are these folks ever going to catch a break?Take care of yourself, Anderson .My prayers are with all the people& animals down there.

June 24, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  5. Dave - Florida

This was a man who was active not only before the spill, but he helped during the initial clean-up phase as well. It makes you wonder what he saw out there that pushed him over the edge. What are WE NOT seeing?

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Nicole Knoxville

This is another tragedy America is facing...unlike most of the latest tragedies this oil spill could have been prevented and/or fixed...This is just another way for someone to make a dollar but this like others are taking lives...We should stand together as Americans and hold B.P acountable...if B.P can spend X amount of dollars of commercials they are not going to come through with B.P can spend it on actually trying every way to stop this and prevent this catastrophe from happening again!!!!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Smith in Oregon

Republican Senators all voted today against raising the spill liability and penalty fines by the federal government.

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  8. kim

Seems like every night things just get worse and worse. I am so concerned about what we really do not know and especially about the chemicals they are using and have used and what they have killed along the way. Also very concerned about the durability of the well as it stands. What if it does not hold up and collapses completely and never stops.
    All of my thoughts and prayers are with the people who are directly impacted by this tragedy. Why is the president not more involved in this project now that the new general has been chosen?

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  9. Janice Ocala Florida

Hi Anderson Wow on the charter boat captain,,it has to be over whelming,,, I can understand how Mr Kruise thinking,,about BP was just using him,BP was probably rude,, I read that BP is burning turtles and dolphins that are still alive...I love what you are doing

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  10. claudia

This is so very sad, so sorry about Mr. Kruse. And this isn't the half of it. All the toxins that these workers are being exposed to will lead to gigantic health problems for years to come. Nobody seems to be concerned about these issues. Also, the methane gas that is being released is extremely dangerous for life, etc.

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  11. April in Louisiana

I'm a camp owner on Grand Bayou. Upset about Mr. Kruse's suicide and am very "concerned" about the well being of my fellow friends in Plaq. parish. Mr. Nungesser is a "true" Louisianian" who cares whole heartedly about his parish.

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Robbi in Texas

The way BP has handled the entire ordeal is ridiculous. I just dont understand. It is making me sick.

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

You are wise, starr, not to over-expose yourself to horrible situations. Doing so is not helpful to anyone. Glad you took care of yourself!

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  14. brian green

my sister and i were 5 months away from retiring together to bayou la barre in alabama. i just saw the piece you did on the gentleman that took his life. i am crushed and touched so deeply. just like everything else that our government, and indeed some corporate industries, but not all, the small people are unimportant and left in the dark. Small people, what a oxymoron. Why doesn't the president confer with such the likes of Sarah Palin and the real people of this country to try to solve this crisis? can you answer that question, cooper?

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Kim from Pittsburgh

Anderson, your dedication to the coverage of the oil spill is admirable. You make a true connection and really listen to all of the people you talk with. I hope your coverage gives the people who are hurting from this tragedy some comfort in the fact that you care and want America to know the truth and all of their personal stories. Keep up the great work.

June 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Smith in Oregon

I'm certain regular Louisiana citizens will wish the State had invested in Ethanol plants rather than Oil drilling off Louisiana shorelines when the next hurricane arrives in the Gulf.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Gary

With all the lying BPs top executives have been doing all these weeks, why will I believe a word they say in the future!

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

I don't ever remember the oil 'gusher' ever being a 'trickle'. That guy is really dellusional......

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, these BP guys are either liars or incompetent. Either way they need to be fired and charged with criminal negligence.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Michelle

Prayers to the family of Mr. Kruse, May you find Peace within, and keep your faith in GOD.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Margery

Anderson – Thank you so much for being so honest about your brother's death. My daughter committed suicide and it is still one of the unspoken topics in our society. You certainly didn't have to mention it and it means so much to me that you did.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

How much more will be ruined by the disaster?

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Michele

The oil leak is a terrorist attack on our country's waters and food supply and this time the terrorist is a multinational corporation that our government (just like many others) seems powerless to control.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Jason

Billy is a politician like the Governor.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Ried Sanborn

Just something I had been told a few weeks ago. 1 gallon of crude oil is enough to make over 60 to 100 gallons of sea water toxic to wildlife. If this doesn't stop soon the oil may not have to get there to kill life in all the worlds oceans.

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Carol

So tragic to ponder how many lives, both human and animal, are being lost at the alter of saving a few dollars and a little time. Greed destroys!

June 24, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Marie, Burbank, Ca

Emily,
    I don't understand either. Golf games and yachts while the gulf is dying. People in Florida stood on the beach crying while they were trying to help the dolphin who later died. Now a suicide because a way of life is ending. When is the government going to step up and take over? BP doesn't care about the people, animals, marshlands, or the water. They only care about profit.
    My sympathy for the people of the Gulf.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  28. benjamin gaff

I'm an active duty soldier in the army stationed at ft drum ny. I was born and raised in pensacola fl. I travel home on r&r while deployed and in between deployments with my 2 little girls. I've always wanted to make memories with them on the same gulf coast as my parents did with me. That's been taken away from them now.my heart is broken that this has happened.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Saveena, Pennsylvania

BP officials constanstly contradicts themselves on the information they publicized.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  30. joseph

I agree with the Mayor of Orange Beach in his statement on corporate greed. The executives at BP have an addiction of greed for money. They are not unlike heroin addicts or even worse, money is the addiction and they will do anything to get it. But unlike a heroin addict that mainly hurts themselves, they hurt everyone and destroy the planet.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  31. Louis

The Alabama mayor is right. BP is wasting $50million on TV ads when if they would just fix the problem I'll be the first to praise them from every mountain top...AND start buying gas from BP again

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  32. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Thank you Starr explaining your absence. You were missed. Most of us bloggers who log on night after night continue to hold out hope for the situation to improve (capping the well, cleaning up the wildlife and shorelines, restoring the residents with jobs, and overall improvement in the Region). There's a sort of solidarity in this group that wants to see justice done and compassion given.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  33. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

US government allowed BP to get away with putting profits before safety and Allen Kruse lost his life.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  34. lisal -canada

people who have control over others, and use it for their own purposes to purposely needle and cause stress, need to realize that they may be 'the last straw' and thus must accept the consequences of their actions.

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Emily

"downplaying the spill" is a fallacy in itself! it's gushing out there...

June 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Di Berube

BP truth…isn’t that the definition of an oxymoron?

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Saveena, Pennsylvania

My prayers and good thoughts are with Allen Kruse's family and friends. Another casualty of the depression caused by a number of things especially BP's oil spill.

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  38. joan

good evening As long as Money Talks, things will never be resolved. He said; she said just doesn't cut it any more.

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Terry

The oil leak could have been stopped the first week if BP wanted to stop it.

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Joe

I totally agree with the mayor, this is the result of corporate greed which should not have happened. I mourn for the loss of lives and for our beautiful pristine white beaches. (Pensacola, FL)

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Steve Lance

We can not blame BP for all of this anyone who drives a car needs to understand. Your car emissions are just as worst.

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Starr, it was beginning to impact my health in a way too, do hope that Anderson is allright. weeks and weeks of reporting on this..
    I admire Anderson and the 360 team and reporters!

June 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Florence

I agree with the guest. If BP were doing the right thing, they wouldn't have to toot their own horn, the people of the Gulf would do it for them.

The govt hasn't done anywhere near what they should and neither has BP. Shame on both of them.

How bout England sending us pound for pound fish that we have lost...

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  44. dale smoot

Where is FEMA ..why isnt this a declared disaster?? Dont they provide all kinds of disaster assistance instead of the goverenment paying this FEMA could just present a bill to BP, for all this assistance, They come in with counselors for disasters, unemployment assistance and with a declartion IRS gives you tax credit for loss of income or property,

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Frank Washington

Why is BP launching this new ad campaign in my state (california) trying to convince me that they're doing what it takes? Everyone across the world already knows that they've dropped the ball!

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Dutch-Aloha

May God Bless Mr.Kruse and his family

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Heidi McDonald

I think the only person that could handle this is Gen Russel Honore, I don't understand why this has not been thought of.

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily, i think you make an excellent point on the years of stress on the Gulf.

I hope all Americans can empathize with the great strength it must tkae to recover from such devestation and challenge.

Generally speaking we Americans are a very "tough" breed.

@Nancy, yes, i missed you and everyone else very much too. I love this blog.

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Mike

Why hasn't there been an order from the US to destroy the well?

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Madelyn

CNN, please sponsor a site where people can go to express their support and encouragement to the depressed and suffering gulf coast residents.

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |