June 24th, 2010

Saving the Dolphins: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, a charter boat captain helping in the Gulf oil clean up effort dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. We'll look at his life and death and the concerns for other fishermen. Plus, a look at what's being done to help save the dolphins and other marine mammals living in the Gulf.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Elizabeth Healey : San Clemente,CA

I was just in the Gulf and I flew around from NOLA to Alabama for 5 hours in the air to photograph the oil, birds, etc. I was at IBRRC too, and I also spoke to oil people that all said sadly, off the record, that they knew this was coming, and they all said it may take years – not months to cap!! This is very scary to me! My eyes have been hurting now for 3 days straight, I wonder if it is from the spill and disbursements!??

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Matt in Stafford, VA

Twisted as this sounds, I'm surprised stories like this aren't more common. First you had Katrina, then the bungled response after, then a few more hurricanes whose names I can't remember, now this. I guess it speaks to the strength of the Gulf residents, particularly Louisianians.

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Oh I'm sure you're right, Emily, he cannot be alone. I hope that everyone takes note of the cumulative effects of losses and tries to kick in much sooner with help for regions who experience 'double-whammies' like this.

June 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jason

Said about the boat captain. Is there a media blackout?

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

Sorry to hear about the captain. His family will be in my prayers.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on tonight.
    It's sad to hear about Allen Kruse, especially with all the public recognition about the critical situation in the Gulf.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Edith

Have any oceanographers or biologists talked about the food chain of the ocean and how long it will take for the oil that lays at the bottom to destroy the smallest foods and in turn up the food chain to the dolphins and large sea animals...?

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, I don't think we all understand why this hasn't been stopped yet, it's ridiculous!

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Shawn

Why isn't there more of a public outcry? This man's life should be a rally cry for every citizen in the U.S.A. to put aside our differences and make sure that our government and BP is held accountable? Don't let this man's life and what he stood for die in vain America.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Saveena, Pennsylvania

Good evening everyone, one more till happy hour.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Starr, Glad to see you back on the blog. I can understand your feelings about this. I am angered about it as well.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Sue R. Canton MI.

They need to establish as many support groups as they can... I pray that God will give strength to all the people who are suffering from this awfull situation.

June 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "In my opinion, BP and the government pulled the trigger."

I agree with you...I think that I heard he committed suicide on his boat...to me, that speaks volumes....

Truly awful stuff!

June 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  14. John Dow

the country security can not be dictated by such unsafe operations of oil drilling as we seen in the gulf of mexico and the corruption we have witnessed

June 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Smith in Oregon

It seems entirely clear that only a tiny fraction of the heavy crude gushing out of the blown BP well head is floating up to the surface or is being captured thru the BP 'cap', deep Ocean plumes and concentrations of heavy crude Oil must exist.

June 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Very serious and very sad what happened to Allen Kruse.

June 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Nicole The Netherlands

These people need help!! I am so sad about Mr Kruse...
    You only do this if you really want to live, and can't deal anymore with the reality you are facing.. (knew 3 people who did this, thought about reasons for them a lot..)

@Starr, nice to see you back! searched the web to see where you were 😉

June 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

BP is not following through so what are the consequences Obama is willing to impose on them?

June 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

I know in Oregon many of the problems and pressures being discussed did occur for loggers when their way of life and livelihood disappeared. Gradually there were programs to steer people toward new ways of life...maybe this Gulf situation should be one more reminder that these supportive programs are needed much more quickly for those whose paychecks suddenly disappear.

June 24, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Emily

@Nancy,
    "It sounds as if 6 years of stress (and maybe more than meets the eye) finally piled up for this poor man."

I have a feeling that he is not alone...6yrs of an entire State that has faced so much devastation...they were now coming back this year, and it seems like neither BP nor the Gov. care about cleaning this up ASAP!
    I don't understand that...

June 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That is so sad, I hope no one else take their own life or any one else life. Stay strong. We can all get through this one together. May the family keep the faith!

June 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening Anderson! Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

June 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Smith in Oregon

With the huge amounts of expected mental health and depression across Louisiana don't the residents there think about Bobby Jindal's urge to drill baby drill more deep sea crude Oil wells? Isn't that like building in the flood plain immediately after you get flooded and lose your home?

June 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Also, part of the reason i have been absent from the blog is the Gulf story.
    By week 4 of the spill i was so heartbroken and enraged i had to back off for a while.

So, i am absolutely horrified about the fishing captain who took his life.
    IThe spill continues to be an overwhelming and heartbreaking story.

My prayers to the captain's family and many friends. I truly pray that No One else follows his pathway. As bad as at looks now, even i have some small hope that things will improve.

June 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is a good question Anderson. So many times we address the physical problems while ignoring the mental pressure that comes with situations like this.

June 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Matt in Stafford, VA

RIP

I can't help but blame BP for this. They didn't pull the trigger, but if this spill didn't happen this man would likely be out there living his life.

Pray for the people of the Gulf. Many of them need a miracle.

June 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Brendan

I am so saddened that Capt. Kruse felt the life he lived was so ruined that his own life was also incomplete. The saddest thing is that this will do nothing to make BP step up and do the right thing.

100 Capt's dead will make no impact to BP, 1 dead BP exec would cause all the oil companies to begin doing the right thing but none of them have the honor to take such action for the pains they have caused and the pains which continue due to their inactions.

June 24, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Teresa Hachemane Sacramento, CA

Rest in Peace, Allen Kruse. My condolences to his family and friends.

June 24, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Joan in Connecticut

Evening all.

My God. So sad.

June 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its so sad to think that there are people who are thinking of suicide because of this. Don't let this get to you that bad, it will be fixed. No matter what trouble you are going through right now, it is just a bump in the road, and like a bump you will get over it and continue on to better things.

June 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Nancy in Oregon

June 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

What a devastation! I pray strength for his family and others who may have similar thoughts and feelings. May additional clergy and other counselors lend their help in some way.

June 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Emily

Are there 24hr suicide/distress hot lines set up for the people?

June 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Terry in Chandler, AZ

The death of Mr. Kruse opens another chapter in the gulf catastrophy. It shows the enormity of the situation. I hope people who are not as concerned as they should be will open up and feel the pain BP has created.

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Smith in Oregon

The Exxon Valdez spill sparked a huge windfall for medical doctors, I imagine a great many MD's are moving their practices to Louisiana for some quick money!

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Nicole, David, Isabel, Megan, Nancy, Sree, Gloria, & Bloggers!

Awful news about Allen Kruse. 🙁

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening. Starr, you were missed.

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening.

Such a sad story about Allen Kruse. So many people going through too much stress.

June 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

So sad to hear about Mr. Kruse, but I can appreciate the frustrations the Gulf residents are experiencing and I can understand how their despair might drive someone to do this.

In my opinion, BP and the government pulled the trigger.

June 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & entire team 360.

Hi, David, Isabel, Gabriela, Megan, Mike, oAnn, N. Royalton, Nancy, Nichole and everyone else.

I am glad to finally be able to be with the blog again.

I live in MNT and it is only 8PM out here and still light. Also, it is the coolest (temp. wise) part of the day for me to walk the dogs and water the garden.

June 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Kenya

Hi everyone. God rest this man's soul. Now we're starting to so see the real painful toll of this disaster.

June 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, 360 team; Everyone!!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Dave

Such sad news about the charter boat captain. It must be very difficult to witness the devastation and impact on wildlife & way of life everyday...especially if that is your home & livelihood.

June 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Matt in Stafford, VA

Hey everyone. Let's do this.

June 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Heather O'Donnell

this topic makes me deeply upset

June 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. John Dow

good evening

June 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Anderson, AC360 Correspondents and fellow bloggers...

Look forward to a great show tonight!

June 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Di Berube

Hello Anderson, I am so looking forward to tonight’s show. Thank you for your dedicated coverage of this disaster.

June 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm |