June 22nd, 2010

Gen. McChrystal Under Fire: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°,  the top commander in Afghanistan under fire due to an article in Rolling Stone.  See what Gen. Stanley McChrystal and his aides said that has a lot of people talking. Plus, the W.H. is defeated in it's quest to block deepwater drilling in the Gulf.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tiffany Goree

General McChrystal used poor judgement...this artical spoke of my best friend Sgt. Micheal Keith Ingram Jr. who just passed away in Afganastan April 17th not even 3 months ago due to him not allowing them to demolish houses that were and are not being used. This a horrible thing and should be taking care of immediately!!!!

June 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Marianne

The Gen. naive? Please! Those comments were very calculated. He knew very well what he was saying and why. He has a purpose for saying what he said. And Mr. Bergen insults our intelligence by saying that the Gen. is naive.

June 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Cynthia

Very interesting happenings indeed! Yes insubordinate but I have to wonder why the General would make such comments, seems way to discipline to have a mere slip of the tongue and letting his guard down. Maybe he was trying to get some attention and alert the people of the lack of leadership and perception of the Commander in the WH. Find interesting that when the General wanted to meet with Obama regarding more troops it took months for a face to face meeting but to offend Obama got him a fast track meeting.

June 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If this is what McChrystal has to say about Obama while he is still in charge imagine what he will say if he is fired. I would love to read that book.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Di Berube

The best people for the tough jobs are not usually known for their tact. I think that McChrystal is effective and to replace him based on words spoken, would be a loss.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Derek

David is just wrong. The right man to execute this war? I don't think so. President Obama she fire this General. His actions were totally disrespectful this Administration.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

All those advocating firing, particularly with no benefits need to know he has served in uniform for 33 years. Obama hasn't for one day.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Robert Gonzales

Officers are trained to step up to the plate when the senior commander bits the bullet. General McChrystal should be fired. The General second in command better be able to step up to the plate nad continue the fight with the current staff. or he should be fired too.
    You can always pull aGeneral out of retirement when needed

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  9. Joyce

I believe that McChrystal used poor judgement by allowing a reporter to have access to him and those under him during travel/"drinking" time. I believe that Rolling Stone has done a dis-service to our country, and I will not buy the magazine. I think this article is a way of letting the enemy win.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Ray...Long Island

can't have civilians running the WAR thats why we have soldiers like the General....LBJ ran it from the WH with Vietnam totally underminding Westmoreland....slap his hand and let him get back to business and Afganastan.if this guy gets canned we will never get out of there and or Iraq.

June 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Cristie D ~ Philly Pa

I think it's a shame that the only way McChrystal was able to be heard was through this route. The man had a serious lapse in judgement, no doubt a result of the immense stress he's under.

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Carol

I'm not condoning General McChrystal's comments, however, how many officials in Government have put their tongues in motion before putting their brains in gear. A severe reprimand may be in order for his insubordination, but I worry about losing this General at this time because I believe he's instrumental right now as it relates to the war.

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Kenya

@Sree

Am i the only one who is a little happy today that we haven't started the news with BP yet?

Feels good to not think about them yet!
    _____

I'm with you! 🙂

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Arine Ward

Everyone thinks Freedom of Speech is a wonderful thing....You have the right to speak, and express as long as it doesn't offend, or harm someone else...so this is a violation of the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of these United States...General or not you can't speak of the President, and if they would monitor this site...many of you would be in Contempt

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Lance C

There is a bigger story here, than just this article...it is about saying something to someone and thinking how it 'maybe' interpreted and then reported; I believe that eveyone has a right to say what they feel, as our First Amendment allows.
    The General calls it the way he sees it; as he is a former Black Op, you must realize this man would not be alive if he saw things in a grey hue.
    But, towards the Comamander in Chief, he should have anticipated this would have gotten back to him one way or another.
    My suggestion is a simple ruke to go by:
    " A closed mouth, gathers no feet"! But everyshoe has a tongue.

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Gerry

Leave the man to do his job. You should also allow him to comment if he does not agree with leadership. Worse things have happened before and not been questioned.

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Al - Northern Virginia

I think the President should remind the good General that he supported him, and if he can't support the President, support the position and the fact that he, the President, has provided him support. If I was a leader, I would want honest, candid feedback, but I would want that kept between me and my subordinate. To make comments that go out to the world is not only insubordinate, but down right disrespectful.

I disagree with audrey that many American's have been saying what the General said in coffee shops aroung the nation. Only the ultra conservative have been saying such things and worse.

June 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Sonia Howell

This General looks like he has had it. We don't know what this hostitality stems from something.

June 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Asher Edelson

Is it clear who will step into General McChrystal's spot should he be removed from his position? What are the consequences of reinstating a new general at this time?

June 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Michael Davis

MCChrystal should be fired (.) The General showed poor judgment based on his personal feelings, As a result the General disregarded military rules and regulations for which he took an oath to uphold ..

June 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  21. ELIZABETH

Since the general is putting his life on the line for our freedom of speech, doesn't he also have the right to free speech? It's ok, the American people will be firing Obama soon, himself.

June 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

If the general is the right candidate for the job, I guess it does not matter what he says! All it matters at this point is whether he is meeting his goals!

I guess its common at workplaces to be talking about your bosses 🙂

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Roy from louisiana

He is fighting for our freedom, so I think that gives him the right or anyone fighting for us to speak however they want to about our government,

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Could the situation with RS and Gen. McChrystal have been a setup? I guess even if it might have been,,it was still disrespectful.

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Steve Chantos

On the off chance that McChrystal and his aides didn't make these remarks out of sheer stupidity or arrogance, rather they were somehow calculated for whatever end (a ticket home from a winless quagmire?), I don't think the president should fire them or accept resignations, rather send the lot of them back to Afghanistan to clean latrines. Seriously though, send them back over in insignificant, supportive roles.

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Ken

It's about time someone speaks up to Obama. It has taken a lot of courage for McCrystal. I hope his [McCrystal] sacrifices will be worth it for our country.

McCrystal has to know what he has done .... he knows the military code ... as do I ... McCrystal obviously knows the consequences ...

That tells me he has knowledge ... that we (the common people) do not have. Obama is obviously "out of it".

I can only hope McCrystal's action corrects Obama's misdirection.

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  27. Barbara in Issaquah, WA

The General's behavior shows poor judgment. Regardless of his technical talents, do we want someone like that running a war? It strikes me as inconsistent that such a "risk taker" wouldn't have the backbone to address the issues with his boss.

June 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

McChrystal has built relationships with people like Karzai that cannot be easily dismissed or replaced. Obama needs to think long and hard about this.

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  29. Arine Ward

In all honesty...with Gen McChrystal, so eagerly to step down....makes one think...this is what he wanted all along....so he should be fired with No Tax Payer Benefits!!!

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  30. jennifer from ms

obama is using the white house as the principal's office again

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  31. AZEEZ

Gen. McChrystal needs to go...Are you telling me in America we cannot find replacement? If Yes, then WE'RE IN TROUBLE...

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  32. pervus summers

A General should not have poor judgement so that is no excuse. Drinking and running off at the mouth is what did him in. Rule one in the miltary is keep your opinion to yourself. If I was the President I would fire him. How can he even do his job now.

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  33. James

McChrystal has long been arrogant and disdainfulof civilian controland therefore of the constitution. He has no place in our military. I am disturbed that such a man could rise to the top.

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thank you, David-Indiana,. 🙂

June 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  35. Carolyn

McChrystal should be FIRED for not merely ONE but more infractions. I don't care if the man is a risk-taker, that is part and parcel of being in the military, and does NOT excuse bad behavior! Period. You do NOT allow, nor contribute to the disrespect of your Commander In Chief, and his office, whether you agree with him or not. That is behavior unbecoming of an Officer of his stature and should NOT be tolerated at all! Do NOT accept his resignation, he does not deserve that level of respect. He should be dressed down and fired!

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hi everyone! Sorry im late! McChrystal really put his foot into his mouth now he is going to get the boot!

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Leonard Rodela

Regarding the issue with the General, I believe we are seeing the frustration and repercussions of the President's incompetence.

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Steve

The military is an extension of the politician, and in this case the Commander in Chief. No war can be won through military actions alone. Fire him!

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May the General be on his way!

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  40. Robert Gonzales

A General knows better than to be insubordanent to the commander in chief.
    Generals have fired enlisted soldiers over anecdoatal evdence and no hard evedence.
    He should be fired

June 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  41. John Dow

he needs to make a clear statement here i am the commander in chief and your boss your gross insorbordination will not be tolerated by my self my staff or my country

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think Gergen is right. McChrystal may have broken protocol, but the war is more important than Obama's hurt feelings.

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Holly

I think that President Obama should fire the general as opposed to letting the general resign. Although my husband and I have never been in favor of this war, there are men and women putting their lives on the line minute by minute. The toll on them and their families is huge. This kind of scathing insubordination is harmful to our troops as well as how we are viewed by the world.

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  44. Randy

Obama "...freedom of speech? What's that? General, you're fired!"

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Taylor

As I couldn't agree more with Gen. McCrystal, I think he was out of line to be openly in subordinate to a superior, especially to a journalist.

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Gabriele, Oceanside CA

Outrageous and unacceptable behavior by this general. One point I noted is the hypocrisy of this general to DRINK and joke, while his troops are not allowed to drink, let alone behave so disrespectful to our elected president. This is a disgrace to ALL American.

June 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Duane

Gen. McChrystal and his team intended that their disrespectful comments be made public – McChrystal had been "dressed down" for similar publicity stunts twice in the last year. This third one, in print, with multiple stupid comments, should be the end. His number 2 in Afghanistan is already running the day-to-day operations so there can be an easy and quick change. McChrystal needs to go.

June 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  48. June

Just Unbelieveable! What is happening to our Military. Such insubordination! Where is the respect due to the President & the Vice -President..even if you disagree with them! Good Grief!

If he doesn't show it....how do you expect those under him to?

Yes....He should be fired!

June 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Curt

General McChrystal's career is over because of his unacceptable comments and those he allowed his staff to make. It makes me wonder why the rapport between the Commander in Chief and his field commander was so poor that it produced these results.

June 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Barbara in Issaquah, WA

There's no good guy or bad guy. It was inappropriate for the General and hs staff to behave that way in front of the press. I can't believe such a "risk taker" would not have the backbone to speak with his boss about these issues.

June 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |