June 17th, 2010

BP CEO Grilled on Capitol Hill: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the showdown on Capitol Hill between lawmakers and BP CEO Tony Hayward. Plus, did BP know the Gulf well could be leaking as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day? Sen. Charles Grassley wants to know after looking over a BP document. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Emily, the Navy wouldn't be of much help. They need every oil skimmer on the planet in the Gulf now. The feds should have called them all in a month ago.

June 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Sree, I'm glad they set up an escrow fund. Whether it's enough money is debatable. I feel though that it is rather important should the day come and BP declare bankruptcy. Those monies would be protected.

June 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Kit, Seattle

Thank you Anderson and team for keeping up with this disaster. It was a great political circus show today at the taxpayers expense.

June 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. NMercado, Ph.D.

The new MMS should do a thorough check of this Atlantis platform and other such oil rigs ASAP. If they're not right, they need to be shut down. We can not keep having these disastrous oil spills...

June 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Lori from CA

Usually agencies cooperate on projects where there is overlap in responsibilities and jurisdiction. There is only one lead agency and the rest would be acting as responsible or trustee agencies for protecting various resources or issuing permits for the project.

June 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Sue- DE

When the people of the Gulf stand up and shout "No More" to BP, the red tape of this bureaucracy, the shut down of an industry, and reclaim their beaches, wetlands, and waters, I will bet that it starts with Bobby Jindell and his crew in LA. Looking forward to that day. Then something will get cleaned up, 2 months late, but will finally start. Cajun ingenuity.

June 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Suzanne Campbell-Ft Walton Beach Florida

I sit here watching AC360 and i see the little screen in the right corner of my TV showing the live feed of of the oil spill and it says Day 59, then i saw the future flash in front of my eyes...it said Day 159! BP needs to stop the oil coming out of that pipe now!

June 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

nalini ouditt,
    Good point, I agree your comment, I think so, they would landed jail right now.

June 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Jay - Memphis, TN

Every time I heard Tony Hayward say he couldn't recall something or that he wasn't part of a particular decision, I thought about former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' testimony. The only difference seemed to be the accent. They both also looked like deer caught in the headlights.

June 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

While no one should be apologizing to BP, the $20B escrow account is a gimmick. BP has unlimited liability for clean-up, so this will just be a fraction of what is legally owed. It's not a concession of any sort.

June 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. vig

Well BP may be calling the residents of the Gulf Coast the little people, but BP are the Bafoon People. Too rich to really care. Obama was slow out of the gate and did not take command of the situation until almost 2 months past the explosion – I'm not sure he has taken command yet. I have never heard so many excuses from the Obama diehards – always trying to make him smell like a rose. What's up with that? It reminds me of those family members who quickly come to the defense – they just can't be objective.

June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The government should inspect the rest of BP's wells to see if they cut corners on them as well.

June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Libby

Well said Nancy.

Except for what Joe Barton said... THAT was uncalled for. 🙁

June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Nicole The Netherlands

I am sorry, to critizise the U.S. government, but i really do not understand why there isn't a plan with oversight for the clean-up, it is all ad-hoc what i see

June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Jerry from Ottawa Canada

@BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Actually this is much more like the Nuclear accident at Chernobyl, Ukraine than Katrina. It's man made, will never be completely cleaned up, will pollute the worlds oceans in unpredictable ways...... will we have dolphins mysteriously wash up on our shores in the future??

June 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Emily

@Chris,
    They don't seem to "know" much, do they? from the amount of oil that is gushing to what is still in that well....what I find very disturbing, is that no one seems really interested in finding any answers!!!! Nothing from BP or the Government...it's now Day#59 and it seems like no one thinks that this is an emergency!

June 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Chris

I understand Destins plight, I lived with tar balls on galveston beach for 20 years from Ixtoc spill aka TransOcean/i know sumone that canceled thier vacation their so sorry

June 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Joe

Good evening.
    I'm amazed to see everyone acting as if corporations are run by grandmothers that sit in their rocking chairs knitting socks. The purpose of a corporation is to make as much money as possible, no matter what the cost. That's all.

June 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Paul ont canada

well its all about the doe thats the bottom line .

June 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Lori from CA

I have to say that I truely believe that this gulf disaster will change environmental compliance for oil drilling. It is too bad that it took the loss of 11 lives and this extent of environmental degradation to make these companies do the right thing. Too bad.

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Nancy

Enough blaming. Catastrophes happen. Let's just do all we can to fix it.

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Linda

Anderson
    I feel everyone's frustration but some of the solutions local politicians tout are not viable. The banks to keep oil out of the marshes will erode, absorb oil and just redistribute it. It will not keep oil out of the marshes and these are the things the federal agencies have to weigh.
    Keep your commentators honest about the difficulty all agencies face with a problem that has not happened before to this degree.
    My main point is that whether oil is drilled in America or Saudi Arabia, it is all sold on world markets. What is drilled here does not stay here so saying we will be independent of foreign oil by drilling in America is just nonsense. We have to get off our dependency on Oil period. Or nationalize it which would really set up howls

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  23. corey Canada

Stephanie , I heard today Louisianna does not receive any revenue form oil. Even though its right off their coast.

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Classic example of "hear no evil, see no evil" ... after all, he's getting some advice from a deceased scientist!

Good point Emily 🙂 Plus they have to take care of those walurus

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  25. steve

if this whistlerblower has any credibility, then shut down all bp wells in the gulf. if they did it once, they will do it again.

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  26. R.J.Smith

It's so obvious to me that BP hasn't got a clue about how they were going to deal with a scenario like this and they want to cover that fact up. What I don't understand is why the technology of oil eating microbes hasn't been mentioned.

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Lastly, One thing that will never surprise me is when I hear that Congress paid all expenses to Hayward to appear for the hearing!

When hearings happen, do you guys think, that Congress pays all expenses for people who attend?

I did not mean to offend any one when I said I partially support Barton! All i meant was that the president could have made sure that Janet Napolitano or some one works with BP and make sure they pay all claims! He does not get to get into politically motivated aspects

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. David, Toms River, NJ

Tony Hayward: "I don't have any prior knowledge" maybe the problem is he has no apparent knowledge....send him back to britain

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Libby

BettyAnn – it's only like Katrina to a certain degree. At least with Katrina, we knew there would be a stop to the storm and flooding. This hole a mile down in the ocean spewing oil has no deadline... 🙁

June 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, If it is true that the government hid those early images from us, how can we trust anything any of them say to us from now on? Someone should question Obama and Thad Allen about that to get them on record.

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I think you're absolutely right, Tony Hayward doesn't know that well as gas or others, He don't have experience lot as well, I was surprised that he lied his resume, he don't know what he was doing as well! 🙁

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Linda in Arizona

You're about to discuss the Atlantis, which is said to be more dangerous than the Deepwater Horizon before the explosion. Thanks for covering it. It has been pretty much swept under the rug from the beginning. Obama should shut it down, but he won't for some reason. He should lift the moratorium, but shut down Atlantis until inspections confirm it's safe. From what I've read, that wouldn't be likely.

I have a new respect for Governor Jindal. How frustrating for him and the people of Louisiana to be told continuously what they CAN'T do by people in charge who are doing NOTHING.

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. William A. Jargowsky

After viewing the apparatus as seen on TV, I ask, "Why are they cutting the pipe and not disconnecting the flange right below the cut, if I was seeing correctly. With a flange they would be able to put a mechanical valve in place. They could put it on with the valve open, then turn it off with their under water hydralics, after they have it secured. This would stop the leak, unless there are other factors thgat fall into play that I may not be aware of.

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Gail

The one question I have, with all that oil burning what is that doing to our atmosphere and the already damaged ozone?

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  35. lisal -canada

yes – you would think for an industry that prides itself on running those rigs of theirs 24/7 they would be able to handle a few barge inspections on the fly – the excessive administrative requirements are slowing things down at the upper levels

June 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Greg

Did I hear right that the oil caught fire a few days back. I heard it was put out, but how long can luck hold out if it happened once could it happen again? I mean think how bad it could have been if they didn't get it out. I don't know about others but is it not time to call in other oil companies to help? Can we really keep letting BP handle this or the lack of handling it since it seems they are unable to do the job?

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. David Waters

I would like to know why the State and the local Parish did not take the lead and put up the sand burms on their own. If this happened in my back yard and threatened my living I would think ( the local govt ) would have jumped in and started doing something, and not wait for the feds to do something.

DBW

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Amanda

Hi, everyone. I wish Anderson would have someone clarify just what laws, national and international, pertain to the Deepwater rig. They were under the jurisdiction of MMS which is a Us Federal agency but surely, there is Louisiana law, since Louisiana gets oil revenue (paltry, though it is compared to other states). Plus, was the rig in our territorial waters or in international waters?
    People are angry that more hasn't been done but it seems that all these jurisdictions are tripping all over and interfering with each other with no real unified command, the way, Homeland Security is the unified command for national security within our borders. We need a Gulf protection and restoration czar.

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Garnet

Hi anderson. I would like to know why they haven't tried to install another blow out preventer on top of the exsisting one. Looks like it could @ least attempted. What have they got to loose, my god. Looks like the flange is in good shape. Can't believe. That hasent happened. Or is there something I'm missing. I never here anyone talking about it. This is going to destroy the world.

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Chris

bartons constituents our Tx Rep, most are big oil or connected to it

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Jill Onweller

@ susan So true....more wasted time. Today was a waste. try something different even if it is wrong.

June 17, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Helen

I feel bad for the coast guards. They are getting a bad rap. Jindal did not activate the 6000 coast guards assign to him, he only activate 1500. I wonder why. I hope Jindal is not playing politics.

June 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. linda

how typical of the coast guard, pull out the rule book until someone points out that they are foolish and standing in the way of the obvious

June 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Emily

@Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana
    "Also I couldn't believe that Hayward didn't know how many wells that BP has in the Gulf. He is the CEO for heavens sake!"

June 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Kim

I would hope after this mess that no one from our Govt would ever issue another permit to drill off our shores to BP...Their safety record is atrocious how in the world could we ever trust them to drill safely off our shorelines.....I vote to ban BP from the US coastlines..

June 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  46. ronald westhaver

i am from canada i have been watching about the oil spill.on the news the way i see it is BP are doing what they are suppose to be doing i feel bad for BP cause the american people lighten up on BP and this Tony Hayward guy i dont think here should be treated the way the american people are treating him i feel that tony hayward is a good guy. BP are doing a good job maybe USA should tony alittle repect for the job hes doing someday USA will regret the way they treat other people from other country.s. So lighten up show some respect instead of blameing veryone for the pproblums in the world Thanks anderson i love your show you are the BEST

June 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Congress did not do a great job.

I partially agree with Barton that the president did not need to setup an escrow fund. But other than everything else Barton said was politically motivated. Yes! He will lose his seat and he should!

President probably got in the middle because he can use the money to narrow the fiscal budget deficits!

June 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Sonia Howell

The barges are a help! Great idea. soon in some places they will be cutting up chunks of coal off that island of oil floating, that will be petrefied before BP gets it cleaned up. LOL

June 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Debbie

@Lori from CA.....I agree, jail time is the only thing that MIGHT have an impact on the total lack of conscience displayed by Hayward and his employees.

June 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Jerry from Ottawa Canada

Any political posturing at this point is absolutely inexcusable. Barton from Texas certainly looks like a fool.

June 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm |