June 17th, 2010

BP CEO Grilled on Capitol Hill: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the showdown on Capitol Hill between lawmakers and BP CEO Tony Hayward. Plus, did BP know the Gulf well could be leaking as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day? Sen. Charles Grassley wants to know after looking over a BP document. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana, "Also I couldn't believe that Hayward didn't know how many wells that BP has in the Gulf. He is the CEO for heavens sake!"

As Hayward has proven time and time again, he is an arrogant incompetent that should have been dumped long ago.

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Karoline, Los Angeles

And thank you AC360 for being the advocate for the working people down there on your show night after night.

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Merl, Ohio

I feel that while congress was going after Tony Haywood, we still had oil spilling in the background. Don't you think we should contain , not stop, for we know we can not stop this. So we try to contain before we take the time to do the finger pointing, for we all know there is more than one at fault. Thank you.

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  4. corey Canada

I agree with Ginny! The manufacturer of the BOP should be mentioned and investigated. They could see If it in fact did malfunction or if BP is just feeding us another lie

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Patricia A. Kelley

Hi Anderson,
    I say that there should be an ORDER to shut down ALL of BP's rig's, than the world will see how fast they work toward's stopping that leak.

Thank You !

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  6. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

This is like katrina all over again. No organization, no help, no nothing! I just don't understand. Why can't we DO Something?

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  7. NMercado, Ph.D.

I really think that this clean up operation should be stream lined (if possible) and that someone else should head it up...

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Libby

Margaret, I'll bet one thing Douglas was thinking was that Representative Joe Barton R-TX totally BLEW IT !! That guy should be immediately thrown off of that committee. He showed America where his true heart is, and it's not with the people of the Gulf. It's with BIG OIL.

June 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Warren, England

Tony Hayward did an incredible job on the stand. He was very prepared, knowledgeable, and willing to honestly and openly answer all questions – no matter how ridiculous some of them were. It is very obvious to me that Tony was very sincere in his testimony and willing to do anything and everything to correct this unfortunate disaster. The hearing had a feeling of a lynch mob out to hang someone and I am very proud of Tony for keeping his cool, being elegant and polite, and being even more helpful in providing information than anyone could have expected.

June 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Karen, MN

Maybe Tony's job is to show up and be pretty. Oh, that's right he isn't that pretty!

June 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Jo Ann, you took the words right out of my mouth. "He should have just taken the 5th" My thoughts as well. 🙂

June 17, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    "Where are the efforts to clean up the oil?"
    What do you think the odds are that the Military (Navy) will be called in to get this cleaned up?

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  13. Sheila

Hello, I'm outraged and feel sick at heart that BP has failed miserably with the cleanup in the gulf and with the current hearing. I'm outraged and sick that Obama didn't let the foreign ships in to our waters that could do the cleanup, all because he's in bed with the greedy Unions. What's wrong with that man, our government used to be "for the people", and to protect our country at all cost, but look what is happening. America is going down. I am very afraid for our future. Raise up America and protest, let your voice be heard. Please, somebody do something.

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I laughed when I heard Hayward swear to "tell the truth"! He hasn't been truthful about any of this from the beginning, why start now? What is the government going to do if he lies on the stand? Send him to bed with no dinner?

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Lori from CA

Don't say that you heard this from me, but these environmental non-compliance incidents are like roaches. When you see one, you should know that there are a least five hundred others lurking unseen.

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Stewart

What do you all mean he was evasive! If he doesn't know, he doesn't know! There's an investigation ongoing. How can he GUESS what happened! He answered EVERY question as required. This hearing is a perfect example of why we're in this situation in the first place! Emotion clouding a real quest for infomation and resolution. Many of the questions they asked, they answered for him!

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Diana

Ginny.....they need to check all of the BOP's on all other wells !!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Margaret

Where has Douglas Brinkley been??He has always been very informative and I wonder what he would think of todays fiasco?

June 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Stephanie

Sue: I totally agree with you. It seems like the people in Alabama and Florida have been preparing for this for days. I hope Anderson is going to include what they are doing in his show. Why didn't Louisianna use some of the revenue from the oil to prepare themselves??

If my home was in danger of flooding due to some companies incompetency, I wouldn't be sitting on the curb waiting for the federal gov't. I would expect my city to get into action as they are closest to the situation and I would do what I could as well.

June 17, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  20. ToniLynn-Tampa, FL

I still can't get over the 'Small People" comment. Us "Small People" on the Gulf Coast have done a better job of cleaning the mess that the "Big Oil People" made a hell of a lot better than they are, they are not doing anything besides telling Congress that they don;t knwo anything and are not prepared.

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  21. Mary Hinkl

What a total mess...

I just got word from Destin, FL (where our family is heading to Saturday) that the tarballs are starting to wash up on the beach and they are laying the boom...

Looking forward to catching the rest of the coverage tonight.

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Chris

@ emily they dont' know how much is in the well, it could collapse when the relief well is drilled, releasing who knows how much oil, gives me the chills!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Sophia Garcia

Tony Hayward is soooooo SMUUUG! Blah! Wanna slap him! And nothing less than a "bulldog" is gonna rattle that guy! Do we even know anybody like that?

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Steve Shute

New Business Card for Tony Hayward,

Name Tony "i DUNNO" Hayward

I wonder if Tony knows if he was actually in front of congress today?
    Perhaps he was also unaware of this.

June 17, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

I hope and pray that this oil mess doesn't get caught up in all these political hearings and blame games right now,,which will cause even more delay in getting the help that they have been waiting for weeks to get.

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Susan

The Gov't & BP are still giving the American people the run around– a vicious circle that gets nowhere...Too many Supervisors & Advisors with no answers because there is no right or wrong way to clean up this mess.. Just get started somewhere!!! Trial & error has worked before....If this does not work then let's try another Idea.

What good did the hearings do to clean up the Gulf? Just another day to talk about the problem & another day wasted in deciding how to do it-

Susan

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Ginny

why is the manufacturer of the failed BOP not being mentioned? Shouldn't they be under fire too for their product failure?

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  28. Jill Onweller

If I was the President for one day I would seize this well, and bring the American people together and plug this. It can be done. This is our land, we have to live here. I would relate this oil spill to a mother and a child .A mother is gonna fight to her death to protect her child, just like we should be fighting here as if it was our children. This is a foreign company and they don't have to live here. We do. I know there are laws that are protecting PB, but maybe these laws need to be changed..

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  29. tom

Not one of those "questions" from the politicians deserved an answer. This is just one example of how ineffective American gov't. has become. When asked a substantive question, Mr. Hayward provided thorough answers (i.e., Mr. Barton's questions about the anticipated number of gallons). The politicians wasted this valuable opportunity to obtain facts just to pontificate their personal agendas. Mr. Hayward wisely and politely refused to be pulled in to that drama. Kudos to Mr. Hayward.

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Betty

People are spending more time to condemn than to help!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Emily

@BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX
    "Joe Barton is an idiot! How embarrassing for Texas."
    When I heard that, I thought, 'I guess he's not looking to be re-elected'!
    Wow, not at all what I was expecting from anyone!

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. NMercado, Ph.D.

The "cozy" relationship between MMS and big oil companies was known as Julia Reed mentioned...the problem is that nothing was done about it. And, let us not forget that most of this cozy relationship occurred under Republican watch.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Wow, the BP CEO sure seems clueless about his own company.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Karen, MN

Tony don't answer any of the questions he was asked today. All he said was " I didn't know". Isn't he the CEO?

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Janice Ocala Florida

Hi Anderson,
    BP is so use to calling the shot,Coast Guard shutting down the clean up effort.Why didn't Obama step in and back the effort to keep the clean up going..My friends neighbors are avoiding me because this is making me obsessed ,I so want to come there and help,I so want to plug the leak,,I so want to take the smirk off Tony's Haywards face..he act's like this whole thing is a joke..Thanks Anderson,love your heart

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Jerry from Ottawa Canada

You get the government you pay for. Complain about taxes and government and the Oil Industry will gladly pay them.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Sonia Howell

Good Evening to all. I agree to the 360 turn and he is bring the best coverage. I do agree that Tony was ill prepared, even though the questions were sent to him in advance.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Paul ont canada

well i think that this has gone on for to long .move another rig in and pull up the pipe and reconnect to the existing pipe.just a thought.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Chris

What does Tony Hayward know?

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Jerry W

I will bet a crisp new hundred dollar bill..wait..don't have one due to the
    recession. But I will bet anyway.....that nothing will change with our energy polocies, with oil drilling, with government, with big Corporations controlling the world...nothing will change...never has, never will.

June 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Lori from CA

I think there has to be some jail time in the future of the individuals involved. Julia is right. The context of environmental compliance has to be overhauled. There seems to be more emphasis on skirting the regulations than complying. Things need to change.

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

I agree with you: "Tony Hayward should have just not bothered to show up today. He said absolutely NOTHING."

Nothing concrete has been said.

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. lisal -canada

the only thing tony hayward sounded absolutely certain about is that he did, indeed, "focus like a laster beam on safety"... which is funny, because it sounds more like he then pressed the button and actually took out the security ... oops ...

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. corey Canada

WHy do they try capping the well head by something that is too small? Why not a casing that touches the seabed floor completely surrounding it and have it reach the surface of the ocean. Collect the oil into a tanker or whatever they have to do with on the top. They know they cant stop it by a giant cap!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  46. nalini ouditt

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. So many lies for 60 days and on top of that ...BP gets an apology?! I thought I was not understanding this morning..Is Mr. Barton insane? Then apologize for an apology.This was a joke, worse than the Wall Street hearings. 'I can't recall, I wasn't there, I am not a this , that, and the next. ' So then WHAT is he? If it's not his responsibility, then whose is it? The janitor's ? He is the head of the chain of command. If it was not so infuriating, it would have been hilarious. These people who are arrogant, bold and irresponsible NEED TO GO TO JAIL!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Joan in Connecticut

I watched part of the hearings. It seemed each representative asked him the exact same question and he gave his answer over and over. Yes, theater is a good word for it. And I didn't hear even one question about the cleanup. The entire country should be focused on getting someone in command down there and cleaning up the oil. If it doesn't happen now, then it isn't only BP's fault.

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Monica M. Williams

Tony Hayward has his day in court:
    The man who united the Republicans and Democrates in going after who's accountable.

To bad the affected sealife from the Gulf could not have voiced their sentimentsduring that Congressional hearing.

June 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  49. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

If you have ever sailed by those oil wells in the gulf, you know they are massive!

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yeah bloggers!!!!!! Good point there, Joe Barton will be lost his seat, now he made mistake what he funded to BP victims,... Now he will remove his seat right now, Betty Ann, Yes he is so idiot!

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |