June 17th, 2010

BP CEO Grilled on Capitol Hill: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the showdown on Capitol Hill between lawmakers and BP CEO Tony Hayward. Plus, did BP know the Gulf well could be leaking as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day? Sen. Charles Grassley wants to know after looking over a BP document. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "So BP and the government knew just how devastating this was from the very beginning. Why isn't anyone looking into that?"

That's very 'interesting' to read...I wonder why too?

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Diana

Hi Everyone, does anyone know if Obama has asked any former presidents such as Clinton or either of the Bush's for any help on this? I know this is a slightly OTquestion but everyday that well keeps pumping is one more terrible day.

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Jim in CFalls

Good evening

Two things about todays hearings, I can't stand Tony Hayward and I can't stand the political theatre put forward by Bart Stupack and his committee. Anyone involved in business knows that the CEO is not directly involved in operational decisions; that's the responsibility of the Chief Operations Officer and his subordinates.

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Boy Anderson you are right about that Tony Hayward has put his foot in his mouth several times since all of this has happened

June 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Nicole The Netherlands

Anderson watches the office, good comparison though..

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Merl

Hello Everyone, Where is the EPA? I heard the comment today that the Epa said it was safer to burn the spill but yet what I could see of the smoke it looked like the EPA should have been testing air quality from planes or helicopters before telling us it was safer to all I would think. Also saw fish that looked like they were starved for oxygen near burn sites. Thank you, Merl of Ohio

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

I think the newly uncovered BP document proves company officials knew how bad the oil leak was from the beginning and they should not be trusted any longer! Thank you for the excellent reporting, Anderson Cooper!

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Debbie

Did anyone here misconstrue what The Senator from Texas said? I heard him loud and clear apologize to Hayward. Taking it back, don't mean a thing!

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Chris

the cptn of the Valdez on recieved community service, what I would like to see is no Chptr 11 for BP ,not bought up to make more money for big oil

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  10. peggie

I went out today and my eyes starting burning. I smell the oil and it is 30 miles to Gulf Shores. My breathing is somewhat different too. I went back in the house and my eyes stopped burning.Thank you BP. We will see health problems next. Everyone who owns property in the Gulf Coast should have a chance to sell their property to BP at before oil spill disaster prices because health problems are on the way.

June 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Melissa

I'm pro Obama & angry w/ BP, but the pres is blowing it too. Why wasn't Jones Act lifted 6 weeks ago & other countries tankers let in? We wouldn't have all this oil on the shore to be mad about if we had. Is he scared of unions?

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Emily

What about Transocean?
    Will they be there too or did I miss them one day...

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"That must be like being in the Principal office!"

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  14. Lori from CA

Hello Anderson! Hello Everyone! Politics are taking the focus off of the real issues.

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hi Anderson and everyone on the live blog and in the AC360 team,

This leak is like one, very long stomach ache that nothing can cure. It's much worse for the residents of course.

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  16. Ali Hunt

Barton should be off that committee as he is on the BP payroll obviously!
    What a YAHOO!
    How much did Svanberg pay him for that APOLOGY!?! The little people are not pleased with the British Polluters!
    You do such a wonderful job. We appreciate your coverage every night. I do not know how you get hold of those emails and BP documents but you have one great investigative team.
    THANK YOU, ANDERSON!

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

The focus has shifted from containing the spill to politics! 15 countries so far have offered help with the ships, equipment, personnel and other resources!

30000 troops have been allocated and cant all be used because there is no equipment. BP, Shell, and all others share the same equipment available in Gulf. If another well blows, that's it!

14 government agencies down there and birds still die!

If not now, then when? When will the politicians become human again?

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Sharon Hastings

What was Joe Barton thinking?? And then he had to apologize for his apology. Talk about your reality TV!! You couldn't make up this stuff. And not much really accomplished except alot of anger vented.

June 17, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Stewart

Drama and finger pointing still didn't fix the well!

June 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Sharon Hastings, "Think where we would stand today if there had been immediate action taken. There would be nowhere near the environmental and economic impact that we now have."

The government is complicit in this tragedy.

June 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Emily

Listening to Sen. Joe Barton's "apology" for what he said – I don't by that 'retraction' at all...he was stumbling to get the words out...

June 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

These hearings are nothing but show. Where are the efforts to clean up the oil?

June 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Sue- DE

I hear their words but I don't see their actions. Motto of this mess. Why exactly are the people along the gulf still begging for approval to defend their own beaches and wetlands? Why don't they say screw it and get thousands out there to dig, build, and defend? That seems to be the piece of this snafu-puzzle that bothers me the most. The people have been pushed way pass the endurance of the most pacific among them.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Matthew Edwards

Hello AC;
    One thing I have not heard and is not being covered is how big the oil field was when they discovered it. I mean we have this precious liquid that we all overpay for, they find a huge deposit of it and then we waste it by letting all pour out and destroy the Gulf at the same time.
    So how much oil is or was in this deposit?
    Also I watched the hearings today and I just wanted someone to jump up and slap Tony Hayward silly. You could see he was smug, laughing inside at the people of the congress and the people of the U.S. Whay do we allow this to happen? Why hasn't LA. put out bench warrants for the execs at BP and arrest every single one of them? They wouldn't be laughing anymore.

Keep up the pressure AC and thanks!

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  25. NMercado, Ph.D.

Rep. Joe Barton's remarks are so outrageous! When is the country going to work together...even at this time when this horrible disaster is still going on and destroying so many people and such a big span of our environment!

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Patricia

I agree with Amy and Chris, the gov't waited entirely too long to get involved. I imagine after this is over Hayward will not be with BP. He looks defeated. How could BP NOT know the amount of oil spilling into the gulf??? Hopefully these contraptions they've ordered from Kevin Costners company will be more effective than what they've tried so far. I guess time will tell.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Tommy

Using the 'Dispersant' to spread this unreal amount of oil I've watched gushing out of that pipe since the day they started the video is one of the biggest cover-ups in recent history. "Dispersing" the oil is EXACTLY what does NOT need to happen! Is it just me?

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  28. Joan in Connecticut

Helen,

Yeah, the coast card is part of the armed forces. When we're at war, they operate under the U.S. Navy.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Joe Barton is an idiot! How embarrassing for Texas.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

@ Sree,,I agree with your comment. I was watching also when R. Joe Barton made the apology to BP. I was startled at first and it took a sec. to believe what I was hearing.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Melanie

I don't know if they are all incompetent or just don't care. Of course the end result seems to be the same.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  32. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Ahhhh...what does he mean that he wasn't a part of the decision making on the well? Since when does a CEO not know the particulars of that company. CEOs I've worked for in the past and present get daily reports on various issues/concerns, etc. Tony Hayward is acting very evasive while under oath.

June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  33. lisal -canada

it kind of scares me too that 'they drill hundreds of wells around the world'. (shudder)

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  34. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Tony Hayward should have just not bothered to show up today. He said absolutely NOTHING.

As for Barton, he only apoligized because he probably got emails from his people in his state thinking he was supporting BP, which it sounds like he was.

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  35. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Why don't they all quit talking and start walking? I am getting ticked!

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Emily

I found Hayward to be very glib....not at all interested to be there...could care less...

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Chris

joe barton wow, those words will go down in history lol

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Cessy - Chicago

Hello! and good evening to you wonderful AC360 staff and fans!

Hi Anderson! 🙂

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Kim

I wish someone woud have asked BP Tony Haward why there are making the clean-up crew sign paperwork that they won't speak with with the media.

June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  40. April in WV

Hello Everyone,
    Rep. Barton's comments today were ridiculious, VP Biden's press release on the statement openly laughed at him for his 'apology' to BP. What's fascinating is that 20 billion dollars was negotiated yesterday with Hayward, yet today the man was troubled to answer which day of the week it is. Will the information the congressional committee requested today be subpoenaed?

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Betty

I really think BP is trying. Can people not see that. All this complaining would be better spent reporting what should be done? What is your idea how to fix the problem? Why can you not see that BP feels just awful about this?

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Stew - Florida / Shanghai

I've heard that salvage boats have been forced by the Coast Guard to return to shore for 'inspection'. Is there any truth to this?

Why are some upset at the establishment of a fund to ensure compliance – it is the same thing as a bail being posted by a suspect to ensure their return to court.

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  43. Libby

Steve – some people in Congress are trying to act. As for Representative Joe Barton though, he should LOSE his seat!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  44. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Chris~ I get it about BP's lack of safety precautions. Yet, I don't get it 🙁

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Kevin, Jackson, TN

G'day all,

Every day we waste with Politics and Blame only gives another day for the oil to affect our Precious Gulf Shores... It's time for action by someone, maybe it ought to be 'We The People'!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

This intvw with Rep. Scalise is getting into the problem LA officials are having working with BP and the Coast Guard. I wonder why there would be any question about who is in charge on the water or when the oil is coming ashore.

June 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Jo ann, well the GOP fast made an apolagy, maybe it was an diversion tactic (he got 1,4 million in contributions from oil company's) to get "us" of the issue..:)

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Emily

The view of that oil gush from that camera is really something...it looks like a chimney spewing a think cloud of smoke....

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Stephanie

bp and all the large American oil companies testified that NONEE of them were prepared to deal with a spill this large.

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Chris

There is too much focus on cleaning up the oil and how much BP should pay without first stoping the leak !!!!

We need to push BP aside, bring in every resource we have and stop the leak now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |