June 17th, 2010

BP CEO Grilled on Capitol Hill: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, the showdown on Capitol Hill between lawmakers and BP CEO Tony Hayward. Plus, did BP know the Gulf well could be leaking as much as 60,000 barrels of oil a day? Sen. Charles Grassley wants to know after looking over a BP document. We're Keeping Them Honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kenya

@Karen, MN

Anderson, if you get Tony on your show I want to come and watch it live.
    _____

I will join you on that one my fellow Minnesotan. I'll bring lots of popcorn.

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Pam

Hey Anderson and all – I'm a Canadian that came down to Grand Isle. After five days I cannot believe the magnitude of the disaster. Went out over the source of spill today – maybe the BP exec's should have to swim around in the water – feel what the sealife is dealing with.

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  3. J Roger, Edmonton.CA

BP knew they were leaking 40-60,000 bbls daily right from the hop.

By jerking USA around for almost 2 months they tried to pretend things that we would never get know.

Had they been honest the shore problems might have been attacked sooner and with better results re: cleanup.

Greed fueled with dishonesty.

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Linda in Arizona

Barton should resign. Then I'll believe his coerced apology. The Gulf Coast is DYING. His statement was a complete betrayal of the disaster area, its ecology, and its people. If he's really ashamed of his country, he should leave. We can do without him very well.

June 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  5. AJ

Why cant smeone in mgmt at BP be arrested just like a normal person would if damage was caused and held while investigated, or why cant the gvmt tell them that they must surrende their passports so they cant leave.

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why didn't Hayward just take the fifth? He didn't answer anything of importance. 'Forget the fines, he deserves to go to prison.

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I dont want anyone to assume or feel like the Congress did a great job today! They did not even do a favor!

I hope everyone saw the politics behind the hearing today, and only tongue-lashing hoping for votes! Ofcouse Hayward will not answer because that's what his lawyers told him because of Eric Holder's announcement of lawsuit!

The next thing we might get to hear is that the congress paid hotel, travel and all other charges for Hayward to come to the hearing.

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Lana

BP stands for BlasPhemy!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360 Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Nicole, David, Megan, Nancy, Sree, Gloria, & Bloggers!

@Nicole,
    I don't think that you were the only one surprised!

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  10. NMercado, Ph.D.

I still can't decide why Hayward appeared in front of the congressional hearing... It's obvious that he was not going to answer any questions... Do they (BP) think that his appearance was a good PR stunt, after that performance ?!

June 17, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Jason

Anderson, investigate the cracks in the sea floor. The videos of this have been available for awhile now. This is newsworthy.

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Sharon Hastings

@ Amy R. Absolutely right. Think where we would stand today if there had been immediate action taken. There would be nowhere near the environmental and economic impact that we now have. It makes me crazy to think about it.

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Quinton Butterfield

The US government should allow private companies an opportunity to collect the sea surface oil and sell it.

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Steve Shute

Wake up, why is BP's Hayward being so evasive? The longer they drag out their internal investigation, the lower their stock prices fall, well do the math. Congress needs to make it ILLEGAL for all those involved with this disaster to declare bankruptcy. If we wait for BP to conduct their internal investigation chances are Tony Hayward, WON'T GET THE DAMN MEMO anyway!

Congress needs to act.

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  15. Chris

This is happening Betty Ann because safety measures were ignored, short cuts were taken and oil riggers were afraid to speak up for themselves MMS and other regulators allowed to happen

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Chris, I agree with you. He looked like a school boy very despondent, who's been found out and now is being severely chastised. I'm sure not a great feeling before the wolves (I mean politicians).

June 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Stephanie

Jo Ann: Where is your source for saying that the federal gov't hid images?

The heads of American financial institutions did exactly the same thing...and what were the "results" of these Congressional Investigations...absolutely nothing.

June 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    BP seems too reluctant to admit the seriousness of any aspect of the disaster.

June 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Sue R.,, Canton Mi.

Good evening.

Day 59. Were at two months of massive amounts of oil being spilled into our beautiful gulf.... Haven't heard much today about the cleanup.
    Tried to watch and listen to the Tony Hayward hearing.

June 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Nicole The Netherlands

@Chris, glad i am not the only one getting a little grazy watching this madness.. The cat really flew of the couch..

June 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nicole The Netherlands, "I scared the cat today, when i screamed -What!- when i heared Joe Barton speak..."

I couldn't believe it myself! He is obviously in the pocket of big oil. I wonder how his constituents feel about it?

June 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Chris

I dont think they are military helen

June 17, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. David, Toms River, NJ

Good Evening All:

Tony Hayward...what a joke! Can he even man up and answer questions appropriately. This whole response by BP has been a joke and an outright disgrace...it is apparent that they are not taking this disaster serious at all!!!!!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  24. NMercado, Ph.D.

Good evening everyone...

What a day!! How is it possible that anyone from any party can see it right to apologize to BP AND call the escrow account set up for victims a slush fund!! How is it possible that anyone can be so (really) inhumane?!

June 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Karen, MN

Anderson, if you get Tony on your show I want to come and watch it live.

June 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Libby

I'm glad that Anderson will be covering Representative Joe Barton on tonight's show. His comments today were reprehensible!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Chris

lol Nicole, I was screaming at the TV like I was watching the SuperBowl

June 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Linda

I was so disappointed with the runaround by Hayward. I was hoping for BP to step up to the plate and acknowledge their mishandling of this catastrophe and give a true apology. Nothing but stonewalling and a waste of time while the ocean is still filling with raw crude and destruction of our USA coastline.

June 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sree,
    Yes Sree....... I know you're right about that, They tried asked him many times question and he didn't answer as well.......

June 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening Anderson, 360 team, David (Indiana), Megan, Starr, Emily and everyone!

@ David (Indiana)

Hello my friend! I agree with what you said yesterday: transparency comes only with prodding and oversight from the press. In my country I've seen a lot of impunity, but I believe the U.S. will be different.

June 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi everybody. From what I understand, early on BP and the coast guard hid images of the leak that showed how bad it really was and released other images to the public that showed it to be less serious. So BP and the government knew just how devastating this was from the very beginning. Why isn't anyone looking into that?

June 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Helen

Can someone tell, if the coast guard is part of the military?

June 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Good Evening ! So glad to see Anderson is keeping at it on this oil spill. Why is this still happening? Infuriating!

June 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Karen, MN

I watched the CEO in front of congress today. It was so nice to see them asking him the hard questions. I would love to watch Anderson interview him.

June 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Chris

Tony Hayward appeared to me that he felt like he had no business appearing before our lawmakers

June 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. April in WV

Hi Anderson, 360 Team,

Evasive is the only word for the empty words and blank actions of Tony Hayward today. The integrity of BP has already been compromised, nothing they have said has been true thus far. There isn't anyone monitoring BP and the inability to have the facts is merely delaying the end of this diseaster. When will we have a credible resource from which to obtain information?
    April in WV

June 17, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, 360 team!, Emily, Jo Ann, Megan, David, Sree, Sharon, Gloria, Smith, Isabel, Karin!

June 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Stephanie

These Congressional Investigations are nothing but political theatre and no one who is under investigation answers questions on the direction of the lawyers whether they are Americans or foreigners.

June 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Anderson, How could BP not know the amount of leak?

They would have not been able to create a cap without knowing the pressure from the oil that's leaking...

May be the first cap and topkill did not work because they did not know exactly then! But at least for last few weeks, they would have known the amount!

June 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Chris

I agree with Amy, our govt waited to long to respond to the spill

June 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Libby

Way to keep em honest Anderson! :o)

June 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Great to be here with all of you tonight. I'm sure BP's lawyers will not let Tony Hayward or anyone else from BP answer some of those questions asked today–certainly nothing that would open them to criminal charges. But from the outset they never intended to tell the truth about anything.

June 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Anderson, AC360 and fellow bloggers.

June 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

Good to be back on the blog. How is everyone?

June 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Chris

Hello Everyone, Joe Barton had special interest written all over him today, what a shame

June 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Amy R.

We watched the initial spill from New Orleans on the interactive maps for the first month after the explosion and it didn't move. Why didn't BP and our own government attack the spill then? Even those of us who are not chemical engineers or admirals knew it would have been easier to burn it, vacuum it, disperse it, absorb it... when it was tightly contained. The US government is just as responsible as BP for what has happened to OUR Gulf coast and its communities.

June 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Joe, Jessica, Candy, David Gergen, Ed Henry, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Danie, Lori, Adelaide, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Di Canada

Hello Anderson, I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation, to see what you’ve uncovered for tonight’s show.

June 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 Team, Megan, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Sue, David, Nicole, Gloria, Heather, Di, Samantha and other bloggers!

Today is probably the worst day of the spill. Not because of the spewing oil! Not because of the realization on the amount of oil or the birds! It's because Congress totally politicized the hearings!!!

They totally made a joke of people, our sentiments!!!

June 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm |